One Month for Romance

Chapter Nine: Shelter and Solace Until the Sun Rises

A Fanfiction by: Corisu Li, Mystellia@aol.com , home page http://www.freewebs.com/chasms/


This work is complete. It's one of the greatest fanfics I've found on the Web. I'm posting it here with the permission of the author. I found it at http://www.geocities.com/inuyashakarma .  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


Disclaimer: Inuyasha: Hello? *echoes*
*A jack in the box appears*
Inuyasha: What the fuck are you?
Jack in the Box: *cranks up, playing eerie music, then opens, springing out Kikyou's face with the eyes gouged out* Baaaaaaaaaaaaad dogggggggggg.....
Inuyasha: Kyaaaaa! *stumbles backward and trips over a small stuffed kitten*
Kitten: *growls menacingly and latches onto his arm with its teeth*
Inuyasha: *screams again before falling to his back and ripping the kitten loose* WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? WHERE IS EVERYBODY??!?!?!
Little Green Army Soldiers: *march up and grab on to various parts of Inuyasha's body, carrying him off to who knows where*
Kitten: *follows*
Kikyou in the Box: *follows*
Inuyasha: Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Camera pans out to show everyone looking at Inuyasha, who has been sealed in a box small enough to hold between your hands*
Everyone except Inuyasha: *is dying laughing*
Kagome: Hahaha....he screamed....over a kitten! Haaaahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Shippou: *rolls around on the ground, clutching his stomach and bursting with laughter*
Corisu Li: Oh, crap! I almost forgot! This is a disclaimer!!! I don't own any person in my fic except for Ayako, Evil Kikyou in the Box, Evil Kitten, and Evil Green Army men!
Everyone else: *is sent into more gales of laughter*
Inuyasha: *screams faintly while the army things are tweaking his ears* Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!


Summary: Inuyasha has lost a bet. Now he has to spend one full month in Kagome's time. Will the appearance of a strange youkai change things for the worse?...or the better?


Chapter 9: Shelter and Solace Until the Sun Rises

Kagome forced herself to ignore the smell of blood as it invaded her senses and tried to push her back. "Inuyasha!" she cried again. She could feel the others following her (except Shippou, he was watching the scene with tears rapidly welling in his eyes), but at that moment in time, the only person that truly mattered was Inuyasha. She was determined not to lose him.

Finally reaching his unmoving body, she carefully flipped him onto his back and held him in her arms, getting her first look at the damage inflicted by Kouga. His face was heavily bruised and there was hardly a spot of skin untouched by blood. One of his arms looked to be severely injured and his side was stained very crimson. Those were just the wounds that she could make out with her eyes. She smelled far more gashes than she saw. Turning to the others, she addressed them, a note of command in her voice.

"Kirara! Over there, in a tree, there's a girl. Bring her down for me." Kirara mewed in comprehension and leapt into the sky. Miroku and Sango exchanged quizzical glances. Kagome gave them no time to ask questions, however. "Sango-chan, bring me my first aid kit from my pack. Miroku-sama, look around and find us somewhere to stay for the night. I'd prefer if no one's there, but we'll take what we can get."

"I know somewhere," a timid voice spoke up, halting Miroku and Sango in their tracks. Kirara landed softly a few feet away and the girl slid from her back and focused her gaze directly on the ground. "It's in my village, not too far from here."

Kagome looked at the girl, her expression softening as she once more took in her disheveled, bloody appearance. She couldn't imagine why she had thought she was so young at first. Now that she saw her at full height, and her face wasn't wracked with fear, she noted that she looked about the same age as Kagome herself. Kagome addressed the girl. "I'm sorry that we brought you into the midst of this, um-"

"Ishida Misa desu," the girl supplied. "And you didn't bring me into it. I heard voices and I ran into you guys."

"Well, Misa-chan, we can discuss this later. Now, we need to tend to our friend. Can you lead us back to the village?"

"Hai."

"Arigatou." Now that the problem of refuge was solved, they had only to worry about how to get Inuyasha there without increasing the severity of his injuries. Finally, Kagome decided that they would carry them there on the blanket that she'd brought for Sango to sleep under. She went to where her pack lay and pulled out the large quilt, slinging the pack over her shoulder. When she reached the group again, she picked up Tetsusaiga, gently removed its sheath from Inuyasha's body, sheathed it, and put it in her belt with her own sword. Then, gingerly, they lifted Inuyasha just enough to slip the blanket under him. Once Misa had pointed out the direction of her village, Miroku grabbed one side of the blanket while Kagome grabbed the other. After receiving hurried instructions from Misa, Sango snatched up the wailing kitsune and mounted Kirara, taking off in the direction that the girl had indicated. This left the others to follow the girl who had appeared out of nowhere.

-----------------------------

'Inuyasha.'

Someone was calling him. Quickly, he whirled around, trying to see who it was that was trying to get his attention.

'Inuyasha...'

Finally, his eyes locked on a dark shape in the mist that surrounded him. 'Kikyou?' he whispered. The wind picked up, blowing his hair wildly and clearing the air, allowing him to see her form more clearly.

"What are you-" He was cut off as an arrow pierced his side, the pain bringing him to his knees. "N-no..." he hissed. "N-not again!"

-----------------------------

Kagome's sensitive ears picked up the faint gasp in Inuyasha's breathing. She stopped, and Misa and Miroku followed suit. She stared at Inuyasha's face. He was now sweating profusely and his breath rattled with each inhalation. His skin was uncomfortably pale.

Kagome raised her face to the others. "He's getting worse. We have to hurry!" The small group took off again at a slightly faster pace, careful not to jar the makeshift stretcher that held Inuyasha.

-----------------------------

"There it is, Kirara! Land there!" Sango called, pointing to a small house on the outskirts of a village that was obscured in trees. Kirara growled softly and descended.

Once they were on the ground, Sango knocked on the door and called out, "Is anyone there? I need help!"

Just when she began to think that the house was empty and prepared to enter by force, the door opened just a crack and an eye that was the exact hue of Misa's peered out. "What is it? Why can't you just leave me in peace?" The woman's voice sounded young, but it also told of sorrow and grief that made her seem very old.

"Please, you must help me! My friend has been badly hurt and Misa told us that we could find help here-"

The door flew open quickly and the woman stepped over the threshold, putting her hands on Sango's shoulders. "Misa? Is she- is my baby alive?"

Sango nodded and the woman burst into tears and dropped her arms. "Oh, my child! If only I had known! I would have been searching for her hours ago!"

Sango gave the woman a comforting pat on the back. "Please, tell me what happened."

Mrs. Ishida faltered for a second before beginning. "Misa and her father went to fetch some water while I was cooking. A few minutes later, I heard that wolves were attacking the village. "They..." She wiped her streaming eyes on her apron. "They killed my husband."

"Oh!" Sango raised a trembling hand to her mouth.

The woman continued. "They brought his body to me, but informed me that they couldn't find Misa. I just assumed that she had died too...It never occurred to me that she would have survived!"

Sango nodded. "Well, she should be here in a few minutes. Please, tell me, do you have somewhere where we can stay until we nurse our friend back to health?"

Mrs. Ishida looked at her. "Was your friend attacked by the wolves as well?"

Sango thought for a second. "Er...well, I guess you could say that, hai."

"Follow me. I have a spare room that could be of some use. It's not much, but it should serve the purpose." The woman turned to enter the house and Sango began to follow, until she remembered that she'd left Shippou and Kirara in the trees a few yards away.

"Ishida-san?" Sango said before calling to them. They emerged from the bushes, Kirara in her smaller form and Shippou wiping his eyes. "Please don't be alarmed, but these two are youkai that ha-" She stopped and sweatdropped when Mrs. Ishida leapt forward and hugged them both, petting them and cooing about how cute they were. When Sango was finally able to pull her loose, the whole gang entered the house and Sango began to prepare the room for the others' arrival.

-----------------------------

Kagome asked a serious question of the girl who led their little 'procession'. "Misa-chan? Why do you smell of blood that is not your own?"

Misa's face clouded as she turned to face Kagome. "I went to gather water with my Otou-san when wolves attacked us. He shielded me with his own body, at the price of his life." Here, her eyes filled with tears. "I fainted during the attack, and when I came to, I heard the sounds of your fighting. I figured that some villagers were chasing the wolves away, so I ran towards you, hoping that I'd be safe among warriors. I'm sorry for any interference that I may have caused."

Kagome felt deep sympathy for the girl. "I regret that we were not there to help. I know what it feels like to lose your father."

Misa turned back and gave Kagome a smile. Turning back to face the front, a building loomed into view in the distance. "We're here!" She squealed, racing forward and knocking on the door.

A woman answered and for the longest time, the two just looked at each other in silence. Then, Misa spoke. "O...okaa-san?"

"Misa!" Mrs. Ishida folded the girl into a tight embrace, tears of joy streaming down her cheeks. "Oh, my daughter, I thought I had lost you for sure! How did you ever survive the attack? Wh-" She stopped her joyous ranting as Kagome and Miroku stepped into view, carrying Inuyasha between them on the blanket that was heavily stained with his blood. She caught her breath and pressed a hand to her heart. Quickly, she turned and led everyone to the guest room.

When they arrived, Sango was sitting in the middle of the room. She had done the best she could to prepare, and it was obvious. A futon sat at the far end of the room, placed slightly away from the wall, to admit a person on both sides. Mounds of clean cloths and towels littered the room, and two large bowls of hot water sat directly beside the futon.

"Thanks, Sango," Kagome said as she and Miroku worked their way to the other side of the room and cautiously maneuvered Inuyasha onto the futon. "Help me out here, Miroku," she said, and the two carefully removed Inyasha's haori and underkimono. Turning around (and giving a glance to the other females who did the same), Kagome told Miroku to finish removing the clothing. He nodded and removed the hakama and covered Inuyasha with a towel to preserve his decency. When he was done, Kagome turned around once more and surveyed the damage. There didn't seem to be one inch of skin that wasn't bruised, scratched, or streaked with blood.

Kagome dipped a cloth in the water and wrung it out, beginning to clean the blood off of Inuyasha's face. Without needing to be told, Sango dampened another cloth and began to clean his chest wounds, avoiding the injury in his side. She didn't know what to do with that one, so she decided that she'd better just leave it to Kagome.

Miroku stood at the other side of the room and gazed out of the window, speculating. It was still very dark, telling him that several hours still remained until sunrise. He knew that if they could just keep Inuyasha alive until then, chances were that the renewed flow of his youkai blood would heal him and preserve his life. He looked back at where the girls were tending him. It would take everyone working together to save their friend.

When Kagome finished cleaning Inuyasha's face, she reached for the disinfectant and bandages. Slowly and gingerly wrapping his head wound, she prayed for what seemed like the thousandth time that night.

-----------------------------

"Ki...kyou...d-don't..." Inuyasha gasped, placing his hand firmly on the wound created in his side by the arrow.

"Foolish thing," Kikyou hissed, readying herself for another attack.. This phrase reminded him of someone, but who? He had no time to contemplate as another arrow was sent into his arm, causing him to cry out.

His body was beginning to get weak from blood loss. He wanted to kill whatever was hurting him, but deep inside, he knew that he couldn't do it. He had sworn to protect Kikyou, and no way was he breaking his promise...

The undead miko read the weakness on his face and lunged forward, grabbing on to his neck with her right hand, her palm glowing with power. She tightened her grasp, causing Inuyasha to choke and grab feebly at her arm.

"Shin-e, Inuyasha!!" Kikyou cried, sending forth a blast that seared the skin on his neck.

Inuyasha cried out with what little strength he had left. Again, he thought of killing her, but even if his body had the strength, he didn't think his heart had the strength to do it. Finally giving in, he surrendered to the blackness that had engulfed his vision.

(a/n: shin-e! = die! If you have any problems with some Japanese that I use, ask me about it in your review *hint hint* and I'll answer it with the next chapter.)

-------------------------------

Kagome had just tied off the last bandage on Inuyasha's ankle. She sighed in relief, pulled the blanket of the futon up to his chin, and turned to observe the room. It was empty save for herself, Sango, Shippou, and Kirara. Miroku, after heating endless amounts of water and doing various tasks, had taken up watch outside of the house, his staff leaning on the wall beside him. Misa and her mother had migrated into another part of the house, either sleeping or conversing. Shippou had curled up and fallen asleep with Kirara in one corner of the room. Kagome's gaze shifted to Sango, whose eyes were very red with lack of sleep.

"Go to bed, Sango," she began. "I'll-" Kagome stopped as Inuyasha drew a harsh, rasping breath and all of his muscles seized up, sending a shudder through his body. His eyes were moving very rapidly under his eyelids. The two girls shared a fearful look before Inuyasha released the air from his lungs, his muscles falling limp again. There was a tense silence before Kagome realized why it WAS so silent...she hadn't heard him draw another breath! "Inuyasha!" she shrieked.

--------------------------------

Floating was nice. Inuyasha had never gotten the chance to fully enjoy something. There was always something else that cast an ominous cloud over whatever he wanted to do. But now, there was only the good things...like floating.

But wait! Something was nagging at the back of his brain. Someone was yelling his name!

"Inuyasha!"

Inuyasha scoffed. 'You win, Kikyou,' he muttered, just before realizing that this person wasn't Kikyou at all. But who?

------------------------------

Kagome summed up all of her courage and clamped her mouth down firmly over Inuyasha's, exhaling slowly and feeling his chest rise as air filled his lungs. She pulled back for a second, watching his chest lower again as that same air escaped. "Inuyasha, please!" she whimpered again before pushing another breath into his body.

Sango watched with horror etched deeply into her face. 'Kami-sama, let this work!' she thought, her hands clasped over her chest.

----------------------------

"Inuyasha, please!"

Please what? What the hell was this girl talking about? And why the hell wouldn't she just let him float in peace? Getting annoyed, he started to ignore her until he felt a foreign pressure against his lips. He felt her breathe for him, and he paused in his ramblings.

What the hell was going on here?

-------------------------

Sango crossed to the other side of the futon and slipped an arm around Kagome's shoulders. "He isn't..."

Kagome's eyes flooded and overflowed as she shook her head before throwing Sango's arm off and diving once again to supply more breath into Inuyasha's body. Her tears fell onto Inuyasha's face as she exhaled.

Still, no change had occurred. "Inuyasha, please! Come back to me!"

---------------------------------

Inuyasha felt another wave of air flood into him. And there was wetness on his face...why was there...tears?!?! Who in the hell was this person? Nobody gave a shit if he died, anyway. But then...

"Inuyasha, please! Come back to me!"

In a flash, he understood. 'I'm...dying!' He felt the air rush out of his lungs again and he felt light-headed, dizzy. But still, he tried to hold on to the truth. 'So the girl...'

Suddenly everything clicked, and the ideas in his muddled brain organized themselves and came into focus. Memories came flooding back, but there was only one that he held on to, one that he used to pull himself free from Death's grasp.

"Kagome..."

---------------------------------

Kagome was sobbing uncontrollably into Sango's shoulder, waking Shippou in the process. The kitsune began to bawl as well, not knowing the reason, but feeling the air of sadness that pervaded the room. Then:

"Kagome..." A faint whisper escaped the lips of the person who Kagome had presumed dead.

"Inuyasha!" she sighed in relief. She wished that she could throw herself at him and hug him, but she understood that that was crazy, considering his injuries. Instead, she leaned into his line of vision and saw that his eyes were slightly open.

"Kagome..." he murmured again. He raised his good arm and weakly brushed away the tears that still streamed down her face. "Why are you crying?"

Kagome couldn't help but smile. "No reason, you baka, no reason at all."

--------------------------------

Kagome had tried to stay awake all night, but in the end, this proved impossible. She was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. Finally, she settled for a place near Inuyasha, where she thought that she could keep him safe from any threats. It was there that she still slept when dawn came, flooding light through the windows.

Inuyasha opened his golden eyes. He blinked a few times before focusing on a shape near him that he recognized to be Kagome. Her long, glowing hair, shimmering with its white strands, pooled around her. Her breathing was strong and regular, and her mouth was slightly open. He smiled...and then realized that he was completely naked under the blanket!

He sat up, which he instantly regretted, because it sent a jolt of pain through his left arm, his side, and his head. The wounds were rapidly healing, true, but it would be a while before he had his full strength back. He finally spotted his clothing in a corner and wrapped the blanket around himself, moving quietly so he wouldn't wake Kagome, Sango, or either of the youkai.

When he reached his clothes, he wrinkled his nose as the smell of blood hit him. Had he been hurt that badly? Nevertheless, he gathered up the clothes, then searched the floor until he found a clean towel. Discarding the blanket and wrapping the towel about himself instead, he silently left the house, sniffed the air, and took off toward the lake that he'd caught a whiff of.

-------------------------------

Back in the house, Kagome yawned and opened her eyes. She looked down at Inuyasha...who wasn't there! She momentarily panicked before she used her brain and raised her head to smell for him. One sniff told her what she needed to know and she took off after him.

When she reached the lake, she saw Inuyasha, dripping wet, sitting on a perch in a high tree, staring off into the distance. She made as much noise as she could while approaching, trying not to startle him, but when she called his name, he still jumped.

"Inuyasha?" she called. "You really should be resting, you're not well enough to move around so much yet!"

Instead of picking up the argument, he merely said, "Kagome, come up here."

Kagome frowned, but sprang up to the branch anyway. "What?"

"I..." He swallowed hard, as if something was in his throat. "I just want to...you know...thank you. For taking care of me and stuff." He refused to meet her eyes.

Kagome stared. "You're thanking me? ME? Are you sure that you don't want to threaten me or something?"

Inuyasha ignored this, and instead beckoned Kagome closer. When she moved, he put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her to him. Kagome flinched, expecting for him to feel wet and cold...but he didn't. In fact, he was very warm.

--------------------------------

Sango awoke to find the room empty except for Shippou and Kirara. "Where have those two disappeared to?" she asked herself, and was halfway out of the house before she felt someone grab her arm. It was Miroku.

"I think we should let them be for now," he said, a subliminal message hiding in his words.

Sango stared out of the door for a minute longer before turning to face the monk. "Yes, I suppose you're right, Houshi-sama." As she turned to go back into the guest room, she sensed something that felt suspiciously like a hand on her butt...

Everyone in the house awoke to the sounds of Sango chasing Miroku and beating him upside the head with a broom handle while shouting, "Why the hell do you always do that, you idiotic hentai! Etchi monk, do you have any respect? I should KILL YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-------------------------------

Inuyasha: *stares around, noticing that all of the evil things are gone* Feh. It's about time. Kyaa! *jumps into a fighting position as two dolls fall from the ceiling* Dammit! It's just stupid dolls. Hey, one looks like Kagome. And this one looks kind of like Kikyou...

Kagome-doll: *reaches behind her and pulls her own string* Is a shard detector all I am to you?

Kikyou-doll: *does same* How dare you BETRAY me, Inuyasha?

Inuyasha: *gasps* No, no....

Both dolls: *repeat their questions incessantly*

Inuyasha: LET ME OUT OF HEEEEEEERE!!!!!!!!!

*sound of glass breaking, Inuyasha is on the floor while everyone is laughing around him*

Kagome: I think you finally broke him, Corisu Li.

Corisu Li: Yup. Don't think he'll be bothering me again any time soon.

Shippou: Do it again! Do it again!

Miroku: That was entertaining. Satanic, but entertaining. *reaches hand toward Sango*

Sango: *stabs a fork into his hand*

Miroku: *runs around screaming his head off*

Sango: Hmm, what do you know... THAT was entertaining.

Corisu Li: Satanic, but entertaining. What do you think, Inuyasha?

Inuyasha: O.O

Kagome: I think he's in shock.

Corisu Li: Hmm....Inuyasha, your brother's here!

Inuyasha: O.O

Sango: Inuyasha, Naraku just stole Kagome's jewel shards!

Inuyasha: O.O

Shippou: Ok, time for the big guns...Inuyasha, Miroku just groped Kagome!

Inuyasha: WHAT? *jumps up to pummel Miroku*

Miroku: Kyaaaaaa! *is still running around with the fork in his hand*

Kagome: Osuwari!

Inuyasha: *faceplants* Ow...

Corisu Li: Now, never question my judgment again, Inuyasha, or it's back to animate object meetings! Stay tuned! Next chapter, Sesshoumaru does something amazing...*blinks at the cue card, then whispers offstage* ...is that a typo?!? No? REALLY? Uh, ok...*normal voice* And the gang gains a new member! And thanks goes to slyslicra and Dia for reviewing! R&R and I'll luv ya forever!!! *laughs and disappears*


One Month for Romance by Corisu Li

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com