One Month for Romance

Chapter Four: The Return of the Mad Groper!

A Fanfiction by: Corisu Li, Mystellia@aol.com , home page http://www.freewebs.com/chasms/


This work is complete. It's one of the greatest fanfics I've found on the Web. I'm posting it here with the permission of the author. I found it at http://www.geocities.com/inuyashakarma .  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


Disclaimer: Shippou: Corisu Li doesn't own us, so don't sue her! Cuz if you do, I'll get really mad and sic Inuyasha on you!
Inuyasha: WHAT? You couldn't sic me on anyone, you brat!
Shippou: *sticks out his tongue and turns into a large pink ball, biting Inuyasha on the head*
Inuyasha: Why you little- *backhands Shippou into a tree*
Kagome: Stop fighting, you two!
Miroku: Do let them carry on. This is getting quite interesting...
Sango: Houshi-sama, this is not for your amusement...*her eyes close and her eyebrow twitches in anger* ...and if you do not remove that hand THIS INSTANT I am going to hack it off!
Miroku:*quickly removes the hand* Ahem...I was merely trying to add to the excitement, Sango-chan.
Kagome and Sango: Hentai! *they smack the monk*
Miroku: Pwetty colors.....*falls over with a hand print on each cheek*
Inuyasha: Poor guy. You'd think he'd have brain damage by now...
Sango: *cracks knuckles* He'd have to have brain damage to keep provoking me!
Kagome: *sweatdrops* Well, enjoy reading about my date with Houjou... and the trouble that follows. Lots of drama and action!


Summary: Inuyasha has lost a bet. Now he has to spend one full month in Kagome's time. Will the appearance of a strange youkai change things for the worse?...or the better?


Chapter 4: The Return of the Mad Groper!

Thirty minutes later, Inuyasha had awoken and changed into some appropriate outside clothing. Luckily, Kagome had sorted all of his outfits so he didn't have to worry about what shirt went with what pants. He finally pulled on a pair of black jogging pants with a white stripe on the side and a white muscle shirt. He looked in the mirror and frowned as he tied a black bandanna over his ears. After retrieving his black sneakers from outside the door where he'd left them last night when they got back from the mall, he set about tracking Kagome. No matter what she said, he still planned to follow her.

The fact that the two had left in a car gave Inuyasha a huge disadvantage until he noticed something distinct about the place where Houjou's car was parked, waiting for Kagome...there was a large puddle of oil right under where it had been. Smirking, Inuyasha easily followed the trail of oil to the center of town. When the oil trail tapered off and he could no longer smell it, either, he began to search for Kagome. Furtively sniffing the air so he wouldn't attract stares from people, he smelled the wide assortment of city smells: cigarettes, various foods, lavender, the metallic scent of cars....

Wait...lavender? Inuyasha recognized the scent as Kagome's and took off, following it until he spotted her sitting outside on the veranda of a restaurant, talking to a boy that he assumed to be 'Hoho'. Inuyasha smiled with relief at seeing her okay, but then quickly looked for a hiding place when he realized that she could see him quite clearly from where she was. He settled himself into a bench on the other side of the street and waited, watching. The first time that guy tries something... he thought, Kagome is coming home...

----------------------------------

Kagome wasn't eating much, even though the food was very good. She wasn't sure why she didn't seem to be very attracted to her date. Houjou kept making valiant attempts at making conversation, but each time, Kagome didn't pick up on the subject. She liked Houjou, sure, but at the moment, she just found him infinitely boring...

"Hey, Kagome-chan! Do you remember that time in gym class when Rie slipped on the track and broke her ankle? I heard that she got out of the hospital today."

"Mmm..." was Kagome's only response.

"Yeah," Houjou continued, oblivious to her indifference. "Her mom says that she was lucky that she didn't rupture a tendon or something."

Kagome's hands clenched under the table. "Um, Houjou-kun? I think I'd like to go home now. I have a huge paper due tomorrow." I've gone through two and a half hours of this! she reasoned. How much more should a girl have to take?

"Uh, well, ok...If that's what you really want, Kagome," the boy replied, looking crestfallen.

Kagome nodded with an apologetic look on her face. She began to stand when Houjou grabbed her arm.

"Hey, how about dessert before we leave? This place makes the best chocolate eclairs!"

"Sorry, Houjou-kun, but I'd really like to go now," Kagome said, trying to pull her arm loose.

"Aw, come on! We could get it to go!"

"She SAID that she was ready to leave," an icy voice said from a few feet away. Kagome cringed and turned around, coming face-to-face with a very annoyed hanyou.

Inuyasha had been watching the pair since he had arrived. Just as he had begun to think that maybe, just MAYBE, 'Hoho' wasn't that bad, he saw (and heard) the exchange between them. He had hurried across the street to make sure Kagome was okay.

"Inuyasha? What are you doing here? I told you to stay at the shrine!" Kagome grumbled, secretly grateful that he'd come to rescue her from 'The Amazing, Fantastic Boring Boy'.

"He's staying at your shrine? Who IS this guy, Kagome-chan?" Houjou eyed Inuyasha with suspicion, taking in the white hair and gold eyes.

"I'm her - uh, I'm a houseguest," Inuyasha answered, stopping himself from saying "I'm her boyfriend" like he wanted to. He didn't think that Kagome would appreciate him saying that in front of this boy that she supposedly liked. He felt a pang as he realized that this 'Hoho' was probably her boyfriend now.

Kagome nodded vigorously. Houjou gave Inuyasha a sour look and said, "Ok, Kagome-chan. I'll take you home now." He dropped a tip on the table and stood.

Before Kagome could respond, Inuyasha said, "Naw, that's okay, Hoho. Since we're both headed to the same place, I'll walk her."

Houjou stepped up and glared at Inuyasha, trying to hide the fact that he was scared out of his wits. "Well, she needs to get home. She has a paper to work on and-"

"Actually, Houjou-kun, I would enjoy walking home," Kagome interrupted. Inuyasha looked triumphant while Houjou's face fell.

"Well, then I'll walk you!" Houjou said desperately.

"No way, buddy," Inuyasha countered. "What will you do about leaving your car here?"

Houjou reddened as he realized that Inuyasha was right. Sighing heavily, he gave up. "Okay, Kagome-chan. I guess I'll...see you later then."

Kagome nodded. "Bye Houjou-kun."

When Houjou had driven off and Inuyasha and Kagome had begun the walk back to the shrine, Kagome sighed and smiled. "Thanks, Inuyasha. That was really getting boring, and if you hadn't come, I probably would have never gotten out of there."

Inuyasha gawked at her. No yelling? No anger over interrupting her date? No 'osuwari!s' for following her even when she told him not to? Instead of asking all of these questions and risking her wrath, he settled to say, "You're welcome."

"Inuyasha? Why did you follow me in the first place?"

"I told you. I don't want you wandering around with weak little boys! You saw how he was acting when you wanted to leave. I just can't trust anyone else with you."

Kagome looked up into his golden eyes and smiled. "I always feel safe around you, Inuyasha." She leaned her head on his shoulder and they continued to walk in silence. That is, until...

"Hey! White-haired freak! How about you leave your little slut girlfriend and finish your beef with me?" a voice rang out from behind them. Inuyasha snarled and turned to lock eyes with the sandy-haired creep from Saturday. He now wore a few strips of gauze over his shattered nose. Inuyasha gently pulled away from Kagome and began to walk toward the 'Mad Groper'.

"Inuyasha, be careful. There's no telling why he's so confident now!" Kagome said, worried but quite eager to see Inuyasha kick some hentai butt. Before she could even settle down to watch the action, however, she felt strong arms grab her wrists and waist. She twisted her head around to see five of the groper's friends holding her, each sneering crude remarks. One brushed his lips across her neck and she screamed.

Inuyasha looked back at Kagome when he heard her shout. He immediately took in the situation. "Kagome!" he yelled, launching himself at the group of males surrounding her. He swatted two of them away with the backs of his hands, rendering them unconscious. One of them got a blow to the stomach and fell to the ground, wheezing and blacking out. The fourth got a fist to the chin, sending him flying twenty feet away to land in a garbage can. The final jerk looked around at his fallen friends and took off, running as fast as he could away from Inuyasha. Inuyasha could have easily caught him, but he had bigger fish to fry...and bigger idiots to beat.

"Kagome, are you okay?" he asked. When she nodded, Inuyasha turned once again to the groper.

"Aww, are you mad because your girl got touched? She should be used to it now. Don't sluts do that kind of thing every day?" the groper yelled. Despite his words, he was very pale, which made Kagome wonder why he wasn't running like the only one of his friends that was fit to run did.

Inuyasha sped toward the guy, not batting an eye when he pulled something metal out of his pocket. Every inch of the hanyou's skin burned with the desire to get revenge on this guy, and this time he wouldn't get off so easily...

Kagome saw the groper pull out the metal, and shouted, "Inuyasha! Get down! He's got a gun!"

Inuyasha turned and saw that the groper had a pistol aimed right between his eyes. No way, he thought, no way that I'm going to get killed by a human. Even I can't survive that! He made this deduction from what Kagome had told him about guns, and he turned out to be right. His demon blood did allow him to heal quickly, but if he was killed instantly...

Time seemed to stand still. Kagome looked on with tear-filled eyes. There was no way that she was going to tolerate losing Inuyasha! She racked her brain for ideas, but there seemed to be nothing that she could do - unless... She nodded her head, steeled her will, and shouted, "OSUWARI!"

Just as the pistol went off, Inuyasha was jerked downward. With the subduing, Kagome had forced him out of the bullet's path! For a second, he silently congratulated her on her smarts, but then he realized that, with him out of the way, Kagome was in the line of fire! With a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach, he turned to look back toward Kagome.

Kagome knew what was coming, but never had she experienced pain like this. The bullet plowed into her left shoulder, causing a web of pain to spread from the wound to the tips of her toes. The force of the slug threw her several feet backwards and she landed in a heap on the pavement. Her last coherent thought before she lost consciousness was: I'd do it again, Inuyasha. I'm never afraid to take a bullet for you... Her eyes closed and she fainted dead away.

"KAGOME!!! NOOOO!!!" Inuyasha howled in anguish. He turned furious eyes on the groper, who began to back away.

"I-I didn't know...I n-never thought that y-you would r-r-run right toward m-me if I had a-" His speech was cut short as Inuyasha delivered a powerful punch to his chest, breaking a few (if not all) of his ribs and sending him flying down the street and crash-landing on a car roof. The car alarm blared, and people began to flood the street.

"Oh, my! What happened?"

"I thought I heard a gunshot!"

Inuyasha dropped his fists and ran to Kagome's side. "Kagome?" he whispered. "Kagome, why in the hell did you do that? Please, stay with me...I couldn't live with myself if you died! Kagome!" Inuyasha buried his face in her hair.

"Inu......yasha..." Kagome croaked, gasping with the effort it took to talk. "I....I'll stay..." As she swooned again, Inuyasha was filled with so much emotion that it made his knees weak. It seemed as if a barrier had been torn down inside of him. She took this bullet for him....she was willing to endure this pain for him.... Inuyasha couldn't hold back any longer. He did something that he hadn't done since his mother died-

He cried.

He was still shedding silent tears into her hair when the police and paramedics arrived. It took quite a few policemen to hold the anguished hanyou back so that the paramedics could load Kagome into the ambulance. When a paramedic asked Inuyasha if he wanted to ride to the hospital with her, he nodded and leapt into the vehicle. Looking out of the back window, he saw several policemen swarming over the prostrate bodies of the Mad Groper and his friends. Apparently, some witnesses had told the police what had happened. Inuyasha only spoke once: to give the paramedics Kagome's name. He made sure to keep a firm grip on the fallen girl's right hand as they rode to the hospital. For once, he didn't care about the loud noises that the vehicle made, or that he was in close proximity to four humans who were treating Kagome. For once, he felt lost and useless. For all of his strength and his cunning, there was nothing that he could do for Kagome now, except be there for her. He could only hope that she would continue to be there for him.

----------------------------------

"WHAT?" Mrs. Higurashi yelped, leaping from her seat in the kitchen.

The police officer lowered his eyes soberly. "I'm sorry, ma'am. If you would like to see her, I think you could, now. After all, a young man has been there with her from the moment of the accident."

"A...a young man?" She was supposed to be with Houjou! she thought. If he's the reason that this happened to my baby, I'll never forgive him! Mrs. Higurashi snatched up her purse from the kitchen table. "Jii-chan, stay here with Souta!" she commanded.

The old man nodded gravely. "Of course." Souta was standing beside his mother, eyes brimming with tears. Mrs. Higurashi could read the question in his eyes and slowly shook her head.

"No, darling. I don't know what kind of shape she's in. But I promise that you will see her soon." Souta opened his mouth as if to speak, then launched himself upstairs. A few seconds later, the assembled heard the slam of a door and the unmistakable worried tears of a young boy.

Mrs. Higurashi sighed, then turned to the policeman. "I'm ready." She walked out of the door, flanked by the policeman. Silently, she swore revenge on whoever had put her child's life in danger.

-----------------------------

"Higurashi Kagome? Oh, she's in room 241, ninth floor."

"Thanks," the woman answered, turning to walk toward the elevator. Her long, white lab coat streamed out behind her and her long, black hair was twisted into a bun. She wore glasses with thin black frames. Stepping into the elevator and realizing that she was alone, she shed her human form. Watching the familiar cheetah pattern flow over the human skin, she sighed. "That form is so uncomfortable..."

Seeing that she was nearing the desired floor, she took on her human appearance once more and began to walk toward Kagome's room. Once there, she took out the information sheets that were filled with information on Kagome's condition. Drawing a small amount of bluish powder from a pouch at her waist, she sprinkled it carefully over a choice phrase:

"Bruise the size of a large coin on right side of neck. Recommend further analysis."

The youkai carefully blew the powder off of the words...only now, there were no words.It looked as if the paper had never been tampered with. I can't have someone trying to treat her infection, now can I? she thought. She entered the room silently. There she was, Higurashi Kagome. Kagome still hadn't regained consciousness, and as she stood there, she became aware of another prescence in the room.

That's Sesshoumaru's half-brother! she thought. Dammit! It would be risky to try something now! She sidled back out of the room, but before she closed the door completely, she removed a small quantity of a flesh-colored powder from a vial in her pocket. Holding this powder in her outstretched hand, she muttered:

"Hide the secret, make her clean Conceal that which must not be seen."

The mass of powder lifted from her hand and zoomed through the crack in the door. The youkai watched as it settled itself over Kagome's bruise.

Ayako smiled contentedly. Sure, the concealing spell would wear off in a few days, but a few days were more than enough at this level of her transformation. Grinning broadly now, she fully closed the door and walked back down the hall, passing, along the way, the mother of the girl who she had just been to see.

-------------------------------

Inuyasha frowned in his half-asleep state. He didn't want to allow himself to give in fully to slumber, because he still had to keep an eye on Kagome. But what was it that had him feeling so uneasy? He pondered, and his eyes snapped fully open when his nose detected a faint whiff of a certain, disagreeable creature.

Inuyasha leapt from his chair and flung open the door. He didn't see the freakish shape-shifting youkai. He did, however, see someone else who smelled very human.

"Inuyasha!" Mrs. Higurashi sobbed as she dashed to the door where he stood. "Is Kagome all right? Is she-"

She stopped when Inuyasha stepped aside and took off down the hall. She walked to Kagome's bedside and took in the girl's form. Her hair was unruly, a dark halo rimming the pale orb that was her face. She seemed so frail, so delicate, that Mrs. Higurashi didn't even dare to touch her skin. Instead, she sank into the chair vacated by Inuyasha and let her eyes rove over her poor daughter's face. She only looked up when Inuyasha returned, looking very angry. "Inuyasha? Are you okay?"

The hanyou leaned against the wall facing Kagome's bed and raised his eyes to meet Mrs. Higurashi's. She nearly gasped when she saw his expression. His eyes were red and tired-looking, as if he hadn't slept in days. Dried tears streaked his cheeks and his mouth was contracted into a thin line. Mrs. Higurashi opened her mouth to say something, but...

"M...Mama?"

"Kagome! Oh, honey, how do you feel?"

"C...can I talk to...to Inu...yasha....alone?" Kagome's eyes were barely open, but Mrs. Higurashi could still see the pleading look in her eyes. Inuyasha instantly bolted to Kagome's side and gently put his hand on her arm.

Mrs. Higurashi looked from one to the other. "Ok, darling. I'll be back in 15 minutes."

"Thanks...Mom..." Mrs. Higurashi left, and a second later Kagome's eyes snapped fully open and she bolted upright in bed. "Finally! I thought she'd never agree to leave!"

Inuyasha's mouth fell open. "Hey, shouldn't you be resting? You're hurt pretty badly, you know!"

Kagome smiled. It was a sad smile, however. She put one of her hands on Inuyasha's and shrugged her hospital gown off of the shoulder that had been shot. She lifted his claw and sliced through the bandages. Inuyasha flinched, expecting the flow of fresh blood-

But there was none. Kagome's shoulder had completely healed.

"Oh, shit." was all Inuyasha could get out of his mouth.

Kagome nodded in agreement. "We have to go see Kaede, now. However, I can't ask my mom because she'd never let me go anywhere unless she figured that my wound was healed...and if she knew my wound was healed, she'd want an explanation that I really don't want to give!"

When Kagome paused for a breath, Inuyasha asked her a question. "Did you take that bullet because you knew you could survive it, or-"

Kagome put a finger to his lips. "Inuyasha. I took that bullet to save your life, and for nothing else. I wasn't trying to test my new youkai powers or anything. Just call it payback for all the times that you've done the same for me." Emotion swam into Inuyasha's eyes, and he tried to speak. He halted, however, when Kagome removed her finger from his lips...

And replaced it with her own.

This kiss felt even more amazing than the one that she had given him at the mall. Maybe it was because he was absolutely sure, this time, that this kiss was meant for him, not for show. When he felt her mouth part, he slowly probed his tongue inside, and gasped in his mind when he felt the fangs there. As a human, she had been uncomfortably attractive to him. Now, as a quickly developing youkai, she was irresistible. Inuyasha twisted his hand into her hair, and Kagome pressed a palm into the small of his back. They stayed this way for hours, or so it seemed, until a voice rang out from down the hall.

"I'm back, you two! I hope you didn't do anything disagreeable while I was away!" Mrs. Higurashi called.

Kagome pulled away from Inuyasha and looked around frantically. "The window!" she hissed. He nodded in comprehension.

"I brought you some coffee, Inuyasha! You looked.....like....you deserved....some....." Mrs. Higurashi trailed off as she saw the empty bed where her daughter had been only minutes before. The coffee cup clashed to the ground and shattered. She ran over to the bed and saw, upon it, Kagome's bloodied bandages. She then noticed the flapping of the window curtain and ran to it, peering out into the blackness. "INUYASHA!!" She yelled. "YOU"LL PAY FOR TAKING MY BABY!!!" She stared for a few moments more before dissolving into tears.

-------------------------

Kagome: *sigh* My mom's gonna kill me...

Inuyasha: You...we did what was best.

Corisu Li: Hey! Save it for the next chapter, you guys!

Shippou: Yeah, you'll spoil the surprise!

Inuyasha: What surprise, runt? They already know where we're going!

Corisu Li: What are you talking about? I never told them!

Inuyasha: But you hinted at it, bitch!

Corisu Li: *takes out a huge mallet and flattens Inuyasha* Baka.

Kagome: Ouch...that had to hurt...but ooooohhh, what am I gonna tell my mother??

Corisu Li: Let me handle that. For now, let's keep Miroku in check... *clubs Miroku (who was just groping her butt) with the mallet as well* Everyone, please R&R! Thanks for reading this far!


One Month for Romance by Corisu Li
  • Chapter 1: Inuyasha + School = BIG trouble!
  • Chapter 2: Livin' for the Weekend (part 1)
  • Chapter 3: Livin' for the Weekend (part 2)
  • Chapter 4: The Return of the Mad Groper!
  • Chapter 5: Yoroshiku, Kagome (Nice to meet you, Kagome)
  • Chapter 6: The Introduction of Mission: Almost Impossible
  • Chapter 7: The Calm before the Combat
  • Chapter 8: Clash of Opposing Wills: Kouga vs. Ningen Inuyasha!
  • Chapter 9: Shelter and Solace Until the Sun Rises
  • Chapter 10: A Newcomer and a Random Act of Kindness
  • Chapter 11: Right Up to the Front Door
  • Chapter 12: Two Identities Revealed and Inazuma's Past Revisited
  • Chapter 13: Dilemma: Stop Her, Inuyasha!
  • Chapter 14: Return to Kaede's
  • Epilogue: Going Home

  • Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
    Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


    Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
    Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
    Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
    The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


    This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

    Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
    Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
     

    Return to Samizdat Express

    Google
      Webseltzerbooks.com