One Month for Romance

Chapter Eight: Clash of Opposing Wills: Kouga vs. Ningen Inuyasha!

A Fanfiction by: Corisu Li, Mystellia@aol.com , home page http://www.freewebs.com/chasms/


This work is complete. It's one of the greatest fanfics I've found on the Web. I'm posting it here with the permission of the author. I found it at http://www.geocities.com/inuyashakarma .  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


Disclaimer: Kagome: *bored* Corisu Li doesn't own any of us except for Ayako, so no suing. Can I go home now?
Corisu Li: Of course not! We have quite a lot of chapters to go missy! (I think) Just be glad I dragged you all out of the abyss...
Everyone except Corisu Li: *shudders*
Corisu Li: *smugly* I'm glad you see it my way. Oh, and thanks loads to new reviewers: Derek J.E. (I think my computer messed up your nickname, sorry...*sniff sniff*), AngelOfDiamonds, Tana, ladykaa28, and The Hidden One. Oh, and AngelOfDiamonds had a question for me:
AngelOfDiamonds: *silence*
Corisu Li: *is pressing the mute button. Upon seeing everyone looking at her, she hides the remote behind her back.* Ahem...well, since AngelOfDiamonds can't seem to speak right now, I guess I'll just answer her question. YES! SHE MOST LIKELY WILL! I DON'T KNOW WHAT MEANS OF SORCERY YOU USED TO PRY THE IDEA FROM MY SUBCONSCIOUS MIND BUT I WARN YOU AGAINST DOING IT AGAIN!!!!!
Everyone else: *blink blink*
Miroku: *grope grope*
AngelOfDiamonds: *bashes him upside the head with her halo and sets it back above her head, smiling sweetly*
Miroku: *tipsy* Somehow...I feel uplifted... *hits the dirt*
Inuyasha: Can we get to the fight already? This is stupid!
Corisu Li: Fine, but next chapter, be prepared to spend the whole disclaimer alone with random evil animate objects!
Inuyasha: Don't you mean INanimate objects?
Corisu Li: *innocently* Noooo......
Inuyasha: Oh, shit.


Summary: Inuyasha has lost a bet. Now he has to spend one full month in Kagome's time. Will the appearance of a strange youkai change things for the worse?...or the better?


Chapter 8: Clash of Opposing Wills: Kouga vs. Ningen Inuyasha!


Inuyasha was the first to attack. He leapt forward, his own well-being forgotten in the heat of battle. He swung the untransformed Tetsusaiga ahead of him like a bludgeon at Kouga's stomach...but of course, the wolf youkai had long since moved. Twisting in the air, Kouga aimed a vicious kick at the back of Inuyasha's head.

Inuyasha's human senses had not yet alerted him to the fact that Kouga had moved, but it became clear when he felt the youkai's leg connect with the back of his head. Inuyasha lost his footing and fell forward. Never had a fall been that lucky, because as he went down, he could barely make out the blur that was Kouga speeding inches above his head, claws swiping at the air where he had been only milliseconds before.

Kouga landed quite a few yards away, laughing maliciously. "Shame you couldn't put up more of a fight, Inuyasha!" he taunted. "Now your friends won't even remember you as being brave!"

Inuyasha slowly stood, clutching the back of his head. 'Dammit!' he thought. 'I'll never beat him like this! He's just too fucking FAST! I have to use that against him...but how?'

Inuyasha's thoughts were interrupted as Kouga initiated the next attack. This time, Inuyasha knew what to look for and dodged as he saw a blur form at his left side. He smirked for a split-second before a fist connected hard with his cheek, sending him flying to the far end of the clearing.

Kouga laughed again. "Did you really think you could see my movements? Foolish thing! All you could see was the space left in the air that I had just vacated! It's impossible for you to lay eyes on me, much less attack me!"

Inuyasha trembled slightly as he stood once more. "I'll never let you defeat me! Even if I am ningen for the moment, I'm still powerful enough to defeat you!" With this, he attacked once more and was rewarded with another punch, this one catching him right on the forehead and stopping him in his tracks. Inuyasha's whole body froze as his joints locked up, one by one, all refusing to fight for him if he was going to subject them to this sort of pain. Blood flowed from the place where Kouga's fist had connected and made its way into Inuyasha's eyes, tinting everything red. On the verge of passing out, Inuyasha made an effort to pull away, but it was quickly thwarted as Kouga grabbed hold of his face in one swift motion.

Kagome had frozen in the midst of the various battles going on around her. "Inuyasha!" she screamed in horror as she watched Kouga lift him from the ground, leaving his toes to just skim the grass. She began to run forward until she caught sight of Inuyasha's eyes behind Kouga's hand. The violet orbs seemed to be begging her not to interfere. As she wavered in indecision, a voice called out her name.

It was Sango. While waiting for the return of her Hiraikotsu, a wolf had crept up behind her. Right before she could catch the weapon, it had thrown itself at her, knocking her to the ground. Her only line of defense was to grab it by the jaws and try to keep its fangs away from her face. Her katana was on her waist, too awkward to reach in such a situation, and the giant boomerang had landed on the ground too far away to be of any help. "Kagome!" she choked again, straining against the wolf's weight.

Kagome sprang over to where her friend lay and clawed the wolf off with one hand. It rolled away and lay immobile. Sango sighed in relief while inspecting the cuts on her hands. Kagome winced, but they didn't have time for any kind of conversation as three more wolves headed their way. Taking one last look at Inuyasha, she rejoined the fight along the sidelines, praying for his life.

----------------------------------

"M-M-Master Sesshoumaru? Sh-shouldn't we just destroy the wolves? Th-they could l-lose!" the sniveling toad-like youkai squeaked as he struggled to climb the tree where the Inu-Youkai sat, watching the fray.

"Silence, Jaken. Do not meddle in things that you do not understand. The bitch will live, and that is all that I concern myself with."

"B-b-but if Inuyasha dies, she will h-have n-no motivation to-"

Sesshoumaru leapt down from his perch and halted in midair, face-to-face with Jaken. "Shut up, underling. You are in no position to quarrel. If my halfling brother dies, it is of no concern to me anymore. It would just deny me the pleasure of seeing his bitch do it for me. So for once, Jaken, hold your peace if you value what disgusting existence you maintain. I will lend no aid unless the bitch is endangered. Come to your senses and realize that this Sesshoumaru will take no suggestions from a lowly toad such as you." With this, he closed his fist over Jaken's head, lifted him from the bark of the tree, and dropped him. He listened to the blubbering cries until the toad hit the ground and was quiet. Regaining his previous seat, he began to watch once more.

"Sesshoumaru."

Sesshoumaru sighed and turned. "What do you want, Ayako?"

"I have received word of where they are headed. They are on a straight course for the palace of Inazuma, where the antidote to the Siaku powder lies!" The bird lighted on his shoulder, then changed her mind and chose a branch instead.

"Hmmm. Most interesting. It would seem that they have more wits about them than I gave them credit for. Well then...you know what I wish for you to do."

Ayako nodded, changing to her normal form and drawing a vial from her pocket. "This will mask my scent perfectly."

"Very well. If Inuyasha survives this fight, do what I have asked."

Ayako nodded. She turned and leapt from the tree, turning into a bird once more just before hitting the ground. Lying at the base of the tree, she spotted an odd, green lump. She sighed. "Imagine what he'd do to me if *I* asked too many questions..." She took three huge loops around the battle scene before disappearing into the night.

--------------------------------

Inuyasha cried out in pain as Kouga's grasp tightened. Spots began to dance before his eyes and he knew that he had to do something. Commanding his incompliant joints to move, he swung Tetsusaiga straight upwards. Kouga wasn't expecting this particular move (being deep in gloating), and was forced to leap back as the sword sliced a deep gash in his arm.

"You yarou!" Kouga spat. "You actually cut me!" He raised his left arm to cover the wound on his right, and the hand came away saturated with his own blood. "I don't believe it... I guess I'd better take you more seriously from now on, huh?!?!" The youkai jumped forward and ripped at Inuyasha with his claws. The fire-rat kimono offered some protection, but Inuyasha knew that there was no way that he'd be able to hold out until the sun rose again. He'd have to figure out some way to beat him as a ningen.

Kouga felt that his claws didn't have the desired effect, so he began to slice with even more effort at Inuyasha's body. Inuyasha screamed again when the blows hit him one by one, so quickly that he couldn't register where he'd been hit until after he collided with the ground. Despite the pain and the quivering of his weak body, he still rose to his feet again, blood dripping from one arm to pool on the ground. Rivulets of blood also poured from his mouth and nose. The wound on his head still supplied his eyes with obstructive blood flow that continued to blind him even more than the darkness. His breathing was unsteady and he could barely hold his head straight.

Inuyasha lifted his uninjured arm to try and wipe the redness from his eyes. When he returned his gaze to Kouga, the youkai was laughing once more. Despite the serious wound on his arm, he looked as healthy and cheerful as he had before the fight. 'Shit!' Inuyasha thought. 'What'll it take to beat this guy?' His hand tightened on his sword, and it was to his weapon that he shifted his attention. 'It'll have to be Tetsusaiga! Unlike when I'm hanyou, it's the only weapon that I have. However, if I just swing it, he'll dodge easily! My only chance is to lure him in close... but how will I do that without him hurting me too badly for me to strike?'

Inuyasha quickly tried to determine the remaining strength of his body. His left arm was useless... his chest and back felt as if someone were pushing him into a wall of sharp spikes... his head throbbed, making it hard to concentrate... and to top it all off, he was damn near blind! Clutching Tetsusaiga tightly in his right hand, he began to gather all of the strength that he could muster. He understood that if this next attack missed, he would lose his life.

'Keh,' he thought. 'It'll be worth it if I can see him die with me.' Turning his head slightly, Inuyasha blinked furiously, clearing his eyes just enough for him to see a Kagome-shaped red blur slap a few wolves around. He smiled. 'Kagome... I love you...'

Aloud, he yelled, "All right, you flea-bitten dimwitted asshole! Let's go! I'll never die and let you have her!!!!"

Kouga did as he expected and ran forward to write the concluding chapter in Inuyasha's life. Inuyasha forced his suffering body into position. Any second now...it would end.

----------------------------

A girl ran through the forest, heaving herself over fallen branches and stones. Dried blood caked her body as she flew along at full speed, occasionally scratching her hand or face on a low-hanging branch. Once, she tripped, and the noises ahead of her became audible. She sighed in relief and lifted her body. She had to reach them! Had to!

As she burst into the clearing, she looked around at the bloody scene. She looked at the two males who were fighting in the center, then her eyes shifted to the perimeter of the clearing, where wolves were fighting various people...and where she was standing now! As she watched in terror, one lone wolf with a long scratch along its snout snarled and leapt at her. She opened her mouth and let loose with a piercing scream. "Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

------------------------------

Kagome heard the wail of the girl and turned quickly in her direction. A wolf was attacking her! Without thinking, she bounded across the clearing and landed in front of her, swiping the wolf aside. "Are you okay?" she asked, extending a hand to her. The girl nodded and took Kagome's hand, standing.

She was very pretty. Kagome guessed her to be about 11. Her eyes were a beautiful bluish-green and her long black hair just augmented this. Kagome wrinkled her nose, however, when she got a whiff of her. 'She smells of blood!' she thought, 'But... It's not her own! What happened to her?' Kagome quickly realized that now was not the time to concern herself with the problems of strange girls. More wolves had appeared and surrounded the pair. Surveying the area, Kagome decided to do a trademark move of Inuyasha's: as the wolves leapt to attack, she grabbed the girl around the waist and propelled them both into a tree as the canines collided in a whimpering mass below.

Putting the girl down in the branches, Kagome said, "Stay here. I have to go help my friends. I'll be back for you, I promise." She leapt from the tree and rejoined the action.

The girl just watched with wide eyes. She wasn't listening to a word Kagome had said. Her eyes were fixed on the battle between Kouga and Inuyasha. (a/n: We'll get there....EVENTUALLY!!!!!)

---------------------------------

"Lord Inazuma! Lord Inazuma!!" The panther youkai shouted, pushing through the masses of guards trying to hold him back. "Lord Inazuma, I have heard that a group of strong adversaries is headed our way. Lord Inazuma, I heard that they are the ones who reduced Naraku into his current state!"

Inazuma glared down at the panther that had just fallen at his feet, quivering and shaking. "Okuo," he thundered, "Are you sure that these are the same ones?"

Okuo nodded feverishly, keeping his eyes rooted on the ground.

"Nevertheless, they can never get past the boundaries around my fortress-"

"Please, Lord Inazuma! The last that I heard, they were headed directly for the gap in the boundaries created by the attraction of your powers!" The panther shook even more violently now.

"WHAT?" he shouted, the walls shedding dust at the resonance of his voice.

"Gah!" Okuo squealed, curling his tail around himself and shutting his eyes tightly.

Inazuma stood and pointed to a scaly reptilian youkai that stood guard at the door. "You there, Koijiu, gather the strongest among my army and place them at the rift! If they get past you, I ensure your death."

"Hai, Lord Inazuma!" Koijiu said, lacking all of the fear flowing from Okuo. He turned and left the room.

"I smell the stench of your fear, Okuo," Inazuma hissed, turning back to the groveling panther youkai.

"P-please M-" Okuo began, but was cut off when a large bolt of lightning fell from the hole in the ceiling to strike the pusillanimous coward to little more than a smudge on the floor.

"And that..." Inazuma said, turning to leave the room, "is for daring to cut me off when I was speaking..."

As Inazuma disappeared, an excited buzz went around the room.

"The group that was Naraku's undoing are set on coming here?"

"I'm aching for a good battle!"

"Yeah! I can't wait to get the best of them. We're not all slime like that fuzzball, Okuo!"

While the demons were discussing the approach of the enemy, one old woman spoke from a corner. "It's a shame that they'll all meet their end so quickly..."

The castle was flooded with life as it had never been before. New defenses were being put up, new youkai were arriving, and everyone was on edge and waiting. Sources said that the group was about a week away...that left just enough time to plan their deaths AND dig their graves...

--------------------------------

Kouga leapt at Inuyasha once more, and Inuyasha steeled himself for this final attack. The wolf youkai's claws came forward once again and dug themselves deep into Inuyasha's side. Inuyasha grunted in pain before shifting his right arm again. 'I have to...get into position....before-'

The pair hit the ground. Inuyasha was pinned under Kouga's weight. His mind kept wailing complaints at him: that it was tired...it wanted to rest... Inuyasha refused to listen. He had to see if it had worked...

Kouga lifted his head and stared at Inuyasha. "H-how..." He groaned as he shifted and Inuyasha allowed himself a faint smile as he felt Kouga's lifeblood flowing onto his right hand. Tetsusaiga had gone clean through Kouga's heart and out of his back.

Inuyasha panted with pain as he explained. "When you... move too fast, you don't see as... as well as you normally do. You... only see what you are focused on, and I... could tell that you were focused on my... face. I put... the blade by my side and you, you idiot, were moving so f...fast that you didn't notice. When you... knocked me down, I loosened my grip, twisted it ...inward, and you ...impaled yourself, baka." Inuyasha tried to laugh, but just succeeded in bringing more blood into his already flooded mouth.

Kouga stared for a moment, then spoke. "K-killed by a ningen, huh? D- damn..." His life ebbed away, and he slid even further down onto the sword.

Inuyasha shoved Kouga off with his right arm, causing a wave of agony to surge through his body. Ignoring it for the time being, he pulled Tetsusaiga free and used it to stand, leaning his full weight on it.

The battle on the edges of the field had ended at the same time that Kouga was killed. The wolves all turned to face the center of the field and their fallen master, and howled in unison. As one, they leapt away to the forest, still howling laments for Kouga.

"Inuyasha! You did it!" Kagome squealed, too far away to know what sort of shape he was in.

"Yay! Yay! Yay!" 5 or 6 Shippous squealed, running around in circles.

Miroku's muscles relaxed. "Yes, I suppose the-" he stopped when Inuyasha wavered and fell to one knee.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome yelled, but before she could start toward him, the bitter, coppery smell of blood hit her hanyou nostrils and she gasped. "He's hurt! Badly!" she said to the others.

Inuyasha looked at Kagome and the others, not really seeing them. The blood from his wound once again covered his eyes. "K-Kagome..." he choked. "I...." Before he could finish the statement, the last of his strength escaped him and he fell face-first into a pool of his own blood and knew no more.

------------------------------

Shippou: *sniffs*

Kagome: Wh-why....

Corisu Li: Ok, I'm not gonna let them talk anymore....they're making me feel bad about what I just wrote! But he won, right? Right? Oh, yeah...you can answer me.

Kagome: Is he dead?

Corisu Li: Of course not! I like him too much to kill him, you moron! Just.... *sniffle* Ok, fine! I admit, that was VERY intense...so we need comedy relief! Remember, in next chapter's disclaimer, Inuyasha vs. the Animate Objects! R&R please, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegaspeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!


One Month for Romance by Corisu Li

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com