One Month for Romance

Chapter Twelve: Two Identities Revealed and Inazuma's Past Revisited

A Fanfiction by: Corisu Li, Mystellia@aol.com , home page http://www.freewebs.com/chasms/


This work is complete. It's one of the greatest fanfics I've found on the Web. I'm posting it here with the permission of the author. I found it at http://www.geocities.com/inuyashakarma .  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


Disclaimer: Kagome: Well, since Corisu Li can't speak right now... *glances at a corner, where Corisu Li is bound and gagged*, I guess I'll say it. She doesn't own anyone in the fic except for Ayako, so no suing. If you do sue her, you'll probably get... *digs around room for a bit*...33 cents and some lipgloss. And thanks to everyone who reviewed the fic! Oh, crud, a question. Guess I have to untie her.

Corisu Li: Evil child!! Left me there for hours and put tape on my nose so I couldn't get myself free. EEEEVILLLL!!

AngelOfDiamonds: Uh, I had a question.

Corisu Li: *suddenly puts on huge grin and turns to her* Suuuuure!!!! Whaddayawannaknow?

AngelOfDiamonds: If Naraku is dead, why does Miroku still have the kazaana?

Corisu Li: Yeesh, maybe I really DIDN'T explain this. Naraku challenged and defeated Inazuma right after he allowed the youkai to enter him as Onigumo. This was kind of a test of his strength. So, this was before Kagome got to the Sengoku Jidai. When he defeated Inazuma, both youkai's souls managed to escape the explosion just in time. Inazuma was able to obtain another body, and Naraku did the same. The 'new' body that he got was Eyeshadow Guy (bwahahaha), the one usually seen early on in the anime. Therefore, Naraku didn't really die, so Miroku's curse can't be lifted. Oh, yeah, I'm not sure if I explained this in the beginning, but at this time, Naraku has been defeated by Inuyasha, but again, he didn't die. Instead, he escaped as a soul again and is presently in search of a new body. This explains, again, why Miroku is still cursed and why Naraku hasn't been butting in on every other chapter. I hope I answered your question! /\ ./\ (Wowww...I come up with background stories to my own story!) Now, on with the next chapter!


Summary: Inuyasha has lost a bet. Now he has to spend one full month in Kagome's time. Will the appearance of a strange youkai change things for the worse?...or the better?


Chapter 12: Two Identities Revealed and Inazuma's Past Revisited

Stepping inside the door before allowing it to creak shut, Kagome, Misa, and Inuyasha stood prepared for battle. Surprisingly, nothing was waiting for them. Inuyasha wondered again if Inazuma wanted to draw them there. As if she'd read his mind, Kagome said, "Not much of a welcoming committee, huh? It's like he's asking for it."

"Well, I say count our blessings and move on," Misa said, leading the others down a maze of passageways. The other two could only pray that she knew where she was going, because there was no way that either of them would be able to find their way out. They were completely dependent on their guide.

After about ten minutes of silent walking, Inuyasha grew impatient. "Dammit, when in the hell are we gonna get there anyway?!? This isn't the first time that I thought you were leading us wrong, bitch!"

Misa turned and glared at him. "I got you to the forest, didn't I? I saved you from getting your soul sucked by a deadly lake, didn't I? I happen to have been as useful as you have, maybe even more so!"

"Stop it, you guys! In case you've forgotten, I don't have much time left!" Kagome said, in a desperate attempt to end the bickering.

Both of the rivals stopped their fighting at once and looked guiltily at Kagome. What she said was half-intended just to stop the fight, but it rang true as well. Kagome could tell that she was quickly approaching the end of her transformation, and, judging by what Kaede had told her, she would reach that stage in approximately 4 days. Maybe less, maybe more, but adding to the fact that it had taken them almost twice that to reach the castle, it meant that they were very pressed for time. They weren't panicking, however, because they could drop Misa off on the way. Then, without anything to slow them down, they could run like idiots if they had to.

Misa recovered fairly quickly from the twinge of guilt that she'd felt at Kagome's declaration. "C'mon guys," she muttered. "Let's get this over with."

In only a few more minutes, Misa had led the hanyous to a very large room. The ceiling was so high that it couldn't be distinguished if it wasn't for the hole that allowed light to enter. In the far corner of this room sat an large throne, presumably Inazuma's. This was the only piece of furniture in the otherwise bare room.

Inuyasha and Kagome both inclined their heads and smelled the air. "Why did you lead us here, wench? I don't sense Inazuma anywhere near here, much less a garden!"

Misa turned slowly. "I'm sorry, but I can't lead you to the garden."

"WHAT?" Kagome and Inuyasha barked in unison. (a/n: heh-heh...bark...heh)

"I have been sent to prevent you from reaching it."

Kagome stared. "Is this some kind of order left over from serving Inazuma?"

Misa slowly shook her head. "You truly don't know me? Well, I think I can jog your memories..." The girl lowered her head and seemed to shimmer...

-------------------------------

Sesshoumaru looked at the girl who Rin had befriended. Now that she was dressed in proper clothing, he realized that she must have come from a fairly well-off family. Her hands didn't bear the signs of hard work, even though it was evident that she was practicing to be a housewife. Around the same time that Inuyasha, Kagome, and Misa were entering the castle, Sesshoumaru confronted the girl while she and Rin were playing.

"It is now time for you to leave this place. Rin has befriended you, and I dislike making her unhappy, but you must return to your own home."

Yuriko frowned. "You know where my home is?"

Rin piped up. "Rin believes Sesshoumaru-sama, because he brought Yuriko- chan into the castle when she was hurt. Sesshoumaru-sama has to know where he picked you up!" Then the little girl's face clouded. "But Rin doesn't want Yuriko-chan to leave!" She burst into heart-wrenching sobs.

Sesshoumaru winced at the sound and opened his mouth to tell her to be quiet, but Yuriko beat him to it. "Rin-chan, If Sesshoumaru-sama says that it is time for me to leave, then I must go. I have taken advantage of his hospitality and even I feel that I have overstayed my welcome. Plus..." Yuriko grinned a little. "I'd love to see my home, my mother, again. Maybe I'd regain my memory."

Rin had stopped sobbing, but she still looked sniffly. "Rin will miss Yuriko-chan."

Yuriko stroked the little girl's hair. "And I will miss you. Maybe I can come visit sometime?" She glanced at Sesshoumaru, who gave a curt nod. Then, stepping forward, the youkai grabbed the girl's forearm and lifted her from her chair. Muttering a warning to Jaken about protecting Rin, he escorted the girl to the door.

Once there, Yuriko gave him a sour look. "You don't expect me to go by myself, do you? Like I'd have any idea where I'm goiiiiiii- Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Sesshoumaru had snorted, then lifted the girl into his arms and took to the sky. He hated having to be in such close contact with this human, but it was the only way to get her out of his hair for good. Well..maybe he didn't hate it as much as he'd thought he would, but he didn't dwell on it. It wouldn't matter soon.

In a while, he finally reached the place where he had first picked Yuriko up. Looking around, he saw a shack that was not that far away. As he walked toward it, he addressed Yuriko. "In this house, your mother lives. You have no father, he was killed about a week ago." Yuriko gave a small gasp, but Sesshoumaru ignored it. "You mother thinks that you have gone on a journey, but when you return, tell her that you have no recollection of your past. She will be more than happy to fill you in." He sighed, thinking of Rin, who was probably bawling again. "I shall fetch you when Rin wants to see you."

Finally, he reached the door and set the girl down. Knocking on the door, he whispered one last sentence to her before disappearing into the heavens once more:

"Your true name is Ishida Misa."

---------------------------------

Misa's shape changed and Kagome gasped. Inuyasha's nostrils were suddenly flooded with the gingery smell of a certain youkai that looked awfully familiar...

Standing before them was a large tiger.

"You!" Inuyasha snarled in rage, baring his fangs and drawing out Tetsusaiga.

"Yes, me." the tiger responded, locking her eyes on the pair and beginning to pace. "Lord Sesshoumaru sent me, Ayako, to ensure that you do not receive the antidote. On his orders, I am to dispose of you."

Inuyasha snorted. "Just try!" With another shimmer, Ayako transformed into a state that looked halfway between tiger and human.

"This body is better suited for fighting," she said with a sneer. She raised her claws and poised to initiate the attack when a noise was heard in the hall. All three jerked their heads around to stare at the door, when who should appear but Inazuma himself.

Kagome looked in horror at the scene. Now there were TWO youkai that would be after their blood. But then, Inazuma spoke, and it wasn't to the trespassers...

"Ayako. Ayako, apprentice of the youkai Naraku, ne?"

She looked at him, momentarily stunned then spoke. "Hai, and he told me all about your fight! Pity you're so damn weak!" She laughed defiantly as Inazuma glowered.

Kagome was thinking hard. So...Naraku and Inazuma had fought before? Just then, she remembered something that Mrs. Ishida had said:

"...For a short while, we were forced to live in Lord Inazuma's castle, as slaves. Then, several years back, Lord Inazuma was attacked and defeated. We managed to get away. It was just three years ago that we learned that he still lived..."

So! It had been Naraku who had defeated him! 'Darn...' Kagome thought. 'If only Ayako was on our side, we'd probably have much better odds. This youkai probably knows exactly how he was defeated!'

Inazuma, meanwhile, was laughing at Ayako. "Weak, am I? Well, we'll see how weak I am after you are nothing but ash underfoot!" He raised his arms and threw a ball of cracking lightning at her in a fashion that reminded Kagome of baseball. Ayako looked on, astonished. She appeared to have frozen to the spot. As Kagome and Inuyasha looked closer however, they saw the problem. Inazuma was controlling the waves of static electricity so that they stuck Ayako firmly to the ground.

A loud shriek resounded as Inazuma's attack struck its target. A blinding flash ensued, and when it cleared, it revealed an interesting sight.

Inuyasha was standing directly in front of Ayako, holding Tetsusaiga in front of him. Looking back, Kagome saw the evidence that Inuyasha had split the blast and...protected Ayako?

Ayako looked just as stunned as Kagome. "Why did you do that, halfling?" she asked, feeling the hold of static on her release and leaping away to face him.

Inuyasha shrugged. "Call it payback for the lake thing. But don't get your hopes up, I won't be doing it again."

Ayako gaped at him. She had just claimed to kill him and his companion! She had poisoned the girl! She was taking orders (reluctantly, but still) from his much hated brother! But yet and still, he saved her life? What the hell was his motive? She opened her mouth to ask him just that when something that he had said when they first began the quest stopped her.

"I don't know who the hell you think you are, but we brought you along to help us infiltrate the castle, not to get your stupid ass killed! Remember that, you stupid wench! As long as you're traveling with us, remember that we all look out for each other!"

Ayako thought for a second, then smiled. "Inuyasha, Kagome, when you leave this room from that door-" She pointed. "Turn right, then take three lefts. There will be a tapestry bearing Inazuma's coat of arms. If you press your right hand against the skull, you will pass directly through the wall and into the garden. After getting what you need, find the green brick and press it. It will transport you outside. Believe me, please."

Inuyasha stared. "Why are you helping us?!?"

Ayako shook her head sadly. "I never had someone to look out for me like that. I guess it activated a part of me that I never knew I had. But listen, we don't have time for this now. I will attempt the same technique that my sensei used to defeat him years ago. This time, however, don't let him get away." She cast a meaningful look at Kagome. "That wave that you produced earlier was not a demonic attack. The blade responded to your miko half. The attack has the very unique ability to destroy the souls of demons. Usually, they just enter Jigoku and are reborn as other youkai because very few attacks can destroy them completely."

Kagome withdrew her sword and looked at it with pure respect. Inuyasha was staring too, but not at the sword. He kept wary eyes on Inazuma, who yawned and bellowed: "Are you done planning yet? Stop delaying your own deaths!"

Ayako winced and continued. "My sensei's attack is one of the most effective ways of destroying the body of a youkai. When he is destroyed, Kagome, his soul will escape, I need you to destroy it." With these words, she drew a small purple pouch from her waist and poured a glittering powder in a circle around Inuyasha and Kagome. "This will protect you from the explosion."

"Explosion?" Inuyasha asked. "But then you'll-"

Ayako nodded. "Hai, it is a kamikaze attack. I hope you will not waste my life, as I have."

"Iya!" Kagome wailed, trying to step outside of the golden circle, only to get thrown back rather rudely into the arms of Inuyasha. It appeared that the barrier was impenetrable.

"The shield will disappear once I am dead. I ask you to let my spirit free. Maybe we'll meet again someday..." Ayako sighed, then turned to face Inazuma. "I need my normal form for this," she muttered, changing back into the cheetah youkai. Firmly, she shouted, "I'm ready for you, Inazuma!" She began to chant in indiscernible tones.

Inazuma took a fighting stance, then his eyes widened as he realized what she was doing. "No..." he whispered. "I will not allow this again!" He began to throw balls of lightning at Ayako as fast as he could summon them, but each was deflected by the violet light that was beginning to form around her. Ayako shivered in the cold, but continued her chanting, finishing the incantation.

Inazuma now looked positively terrified. "No!" he screamed, launching himself at Ayako. "You can't w-"

He gagged. Ayako had given an almighty shout and pressed her hand onto Inazuma's chest. "Please..." he whispered. "Not again. You'll die, you know."

Ayako smiled. "Maybe so. But you're coming with me, you nuisance!" With these words, Ayako pressed harder and felt herself disappear into his flesh.

"Arrrrghhh!" Inazuma bellowed, feeling the all-to-familiar cold pervade his senses, and watching as the purple light flowed from his skin. "It doesn't....matter..." he gasped in pain. "I'll...just come...back again!"

Ayako spoke from inside his head. "Don't count on it."

Kagome gasped and pressed her face into Inuyasha's shoulder as a silent explosion engulfed the area. Their small circle remained untouched, as Ayako had promised. As the air cleared, Kagome could tell that the barrier had lifted. Stepping outside of it, she scanned the air, looking for traces of Inazuma's soul.

Inuyasha, who hadn't spoken for quite a while, stepped forward as well. "Kagome, concentrate. You won't be able to see it with just your eyes...kind of like how I can't see the Kaze no Kitsu just with my eyes. Try to see the room differently."

Kagome nodded, and returned her teary gaze to the now-empty site of the battle. In an instant, the room flashed, and everything turned a bluish color. Everything, that is except for an orb that gleamed white in one corner. Tightening her grip on her sword, Kagome readied herself to strike.

Inuyasha felt the wave of power coming. It was so powerful that he could feel the hair on the back of his neck standing on end. Kagome's blade had begun to drip with the acid-like power again, but he didn't think she noticed. Her eyes were fixed on a point that was in the corner.

Kagome tensed, then leapt forward, her eyes locked on the globe of white in the sea of blue. With a mighty yell, she brought the sword down and watched as it sliced the globe in two. She returned to the ground, and it landed in front of her, writhing like a worm that had been stepped on. Then, quite suddenly, it ceased its wriggling and lay still, disintegrating a few seconds later into a fine mist that blended with the air and vanished.

"You almost make me feel useless, wench," Inuyasha said, smirking.

"Was that a compliment, Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha suddenly blushed and turned away.

Kagome walked in front of him, forcing him to meet her gaze once more. "Inuyasha. I need to know what is going on between us. I need to know if..." She trailed off here, but Inuyasha read the question in her eyes.

"Kagome. I don't love Kikyou. She's nothing but a memory to me. Sure, I feel like I owe her for what happened, but after Naraku is truly dead, I'll have paid my debt. She is important to me as a friend, but what walks this earth now is not her! I can't love a zombie!"

Kagome blinked back tears of relief. "So you..."

Inuyasha gazed at her, his gold eyes boring into her silver ones. "Ai shiteru, Kagome."

This was all that the girl could take. Her eyes overflowed with tears as all of her insecurities vanished. She felt like a weight had finally been lifted from her shoulders and she could finally stand up straight and look love in the eye. Inuyasha stepped forward to receive her as Kagome threw herself into his embrace, sobbing in relief, happiness, and unbelievable love. "Ai shiteru, Inuyasha." she whispered, as he lowered his face to kiss her tears away.

For the third time, their lips met, and this time, there were no policemen watching, no mother to barge in. There was only time, and the two lovers that wished to share it with each other.

----------------------------------

Miroku was pacing around the room, deep in worry. When he had arrived at Kaede's hut, Sango was deeply unconscious. Her skin had felt very cold, despite her burns. For one horrible second, he thought that she had died, but a quick inspection proved that wrong. Kirara and Shippou had run into the hut and Miroku had been able to easily hear Shippou frantically explaining. Miroku had been very glad that he'd brought the little kitsune; he hadn't felt much like talking. In fact, he hadn't spoken a word since their arrival. He had simply laid Sango on the futon in a bedroom and began to pace the floor, which is what he happened to be doing at the moment...

Kaede entered from the room where Sango was being treated and touched Miroku's shoulder. "Calm yourself, child. Ye will go mad from worry if ye do not relax. Sango will be fine. We have treated her for burns and Myouga has extracted the majority of the poison. By morning, she should be awake, although in no condition to move around. Ye should rest now. I will rouse ye if she wakes."

Miroku had remained silent through this speech. Looking at the door behind which Sango lay, he nodded slowly and sat on the floor, against the wall. Within minutes, his head had drooped and he was fast asleep. Kaede smiled a knowing smile and returned to the other room. Kirara was asleep at Sango's side while Shippou, dressed in a male nurse's outfit, was pressing a compress to the girl's forehead. Kaede sighed. 'Kagome and her world,' she thought. 'Where male healers dress like that!' Surpressing a chuckle, Kaede allowed herself to drift off as well, Shippou following her lead in just a few seconds.

-------------------------------

Breaking their passionate kiss, Inuyasha and Kagome looked up to the ceiling and through the hole. The sky had darkened considerably, so there wouldn't be much time for travel tonight. There were still a few traces of light, however, and Inuyasha figured that it would be at least two hours until the moon rose.

"Come on, Kagome. We need to get that antidote and start heading back."

Kagome nodded, recalling Ayako's directions and following them. Sure enough, the pair ended up in front of a large tapestry bearing Inazuma's name and a shield with a sword piercing it. Scattered around the main image were many smaller ones. Kagome swiftly located the skull and, with a glance at Inuyasha, pressed her hand to it.

It was instantaneous. Kagome felt a rushing sensation, as if she had just done a loop-de-loop on a roller-coaster, and then, she was standing on a raised platform among a sea of plant life. Seconds later, Inuyasha appeared behind her.

Kagome began to walk among the vegetation. There were many different kinds, from pinkish vines that shrieked insults as they passed: "DIRTY HANYOU RUBBISH!!!", to reddish blossoms that giggled like schoolgirls and appeared to be exchanging secrets. Finally, they saw what they were looking for. A clump of dusty-looking yellow vines sat to their left. Shifting her gaze to look at the right, she saw an expanse of blue flowers. Sighing in relief, she leapt to where the flowers were. Inuyasha stayed on the platform, muttering something about not wanting to smell flowery.

"How do you reckon we get the antidote out?" Kagome asked him. The flowers answered her, though. One reached a leaf forward and poked a red dot on its neighbor's back. Immediately, it began to pour forth a thick liquid. Fumbling quickly for the flask that she'd brought to hold the antidote in, she filled it nearly full with the viscous substance. Corking it and slipping it into her pouch once more, she leapt back up to where Inuyasha stood.

"So what? Do you drink that stuff or something?" Inuyasha asked, eyeing the blue stuff with disgust.

"Nope, silly puppy, I take it to Kaede so she can prepare it. This is too powerful to be taken directly!" She tweaked his ears. He grinned evilly and tweaked hers too. "Eep! I forgot about those!" Inuyasha stared for a second, and then burst into laughter. Kagome began to laugh too. 'He seems to be so happy now. This is the second time that we've had laughing fits together since I changed. You know...I think I'll kind of miss being a hanyou.'

Once the two had recovered, Inuyasha found the green brick just behind the gaggle of insulting flowers. Wading through yells of, "CASTLE DEFILING FILTH!" and "UNEDUCATED SLIME!", they both touched it and were immediately transported outside.

Inuyasha stepped forward, looking around. The cloud of mist around the forest had vanished, and there seemed to be no traces of youkai. It seemed like a curse had been lifted or something. Detecting the scent that the others had left when they parted, he turned to head in the direction of Kaede's. He'd only gotten a few feet before he'd realized that Kagome wasn't following. Turning to look at her, he opened his mouth to talk but the words died in his throat before he could force them out.

Kagome's eyes were red, her hair completely silver, the same color as her eyes. Blue markings had appeared on her cheeks and her fangs were bared.

"K-Kagome?" he choked. 'How could this be happening now! It's nowhere near time for her full transformation yet!' Thinking a little harder, he understood. 'It was the battle! She expended all of her miko energy! This let the youkai take over for a while until the miko half regains its strength...Oh. Oh, shit. I'm in trouble.'

Kagome snarled and leapt forward, slicing at Inuyasha, a killer gleam in her eye.

---------------------------------

Corisu Li: *stands up and does the 'I did a cliffie dance*

Shippou: *sweatdrops* Oh well, at least she's not hyper...

Corisu Li: Heyy...that's a good idea, Shippou! Next disclaimer, I show everybody high offa sugar!!! /\./\

Everyone: O.O

Inuyasha: Shippou, what in the hell have you done?

Kagome: Oh, no. This is bad. Do you know how I ACT when I'm hyper?

Corisu Li: Noooo, but I'm gonna find out! Call it payback for you duct taping me earlier!

Kagome: *mumbles something*

Corisu Li: What's that? You say you want me to spike your sugar with sake?

Kagome: Oh, Kami-sama, NO!

Corisu Li: Darn. *wiggles nose and the room fills with candy and pure sugar* Well, eat up!

Everyone: o.0

Miroku: You're kidding, right?

Sango: She has to be kidding.

Corisu Li: Not kidding!!!

Shippou: Yayyyy! *tears open a bag of sugar and starts to pour it down his throat*

Kagome: Whoa, Shippou! *picks up a candy bar and starts to eat it*

Corisu Li: *mentally forces everyone to eat more sugar...more sugar....*

Miroku: *shoves Sugar Daddies into his mouth* (I couldn't resist! Hahahaha!)

Sango: *devours gummy worms*

Inuyasha: *takes a leaf out of Shippou's book and starts to guzzle pure sugar*

Corisu Li: O.O Well, this is working out nicely. Next chapter, we'll see what happens when the sugar kicks in... see ya! *evaporates*


One Month for Romance by Corisu Li

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com