One Month for Romance

Chapter Fourteen: Return to Kaede's

A Fanfiction by: Corisu Li, Mystellia@aol.com , home page http://www.freewebs.com/chasms/


This work is complete. It's one of the greatest fanfics I've found on the Web. I'm posting it here with the permission of the author. I found it at http://www.geocities.com/inuyashakarma .  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


Disclaimer: Corisu Li: More lemonade, Kagome!
Kagome: *looks very irritated* Yes, Supreme Authoress...
Corisu Li: And Sango, fetch my robe and slippers.
Sango: Right away, Supreme Authoress... *rolls eyes*
Inuyasha: Why the hell are you taking orders from her?
Corisu Li: They just love me sooooo much...
Kagome and Sango: *audibly snort with laughter*
Corisu Li: What was that?
Kagome: Uh...we said that's right.
Sango: Yeah...
Miroku: Girls, I'm suprised! I thought you would never lower yourselves to be controlled in this way. *looks amused*
Kagome: Yeah, well... *hands Corisu Li her lemonade*
Corisu Li: Umm, Kagome?
Kagome: Huh?
Corisu Li: *whips out thermometer, plops it in the drink, and checks it* Yep. This lemonade is three degrees too cold.
Kagome: WHAT?
Corisu Li: I guess you'll just have to keep trying until you get it right.
Kagome: *yells angrily* That's IT! I don't care anymore! Tell them if you have to!
Sango: *drops robe and slippers on the floor* Yeah, we don't want to serve you anymore!
Inuyasha and Miroku: *share confused look*
Corisu Li: Fine. *goes over to boys and whispers the 'little secret' in their ears*
Miroku: We know.
Kagome, Sango, and Corisu Li: WHAT?!?!
Inuyasha: We KNOW. Not all of us lose our memories after a sugar binge.
Sango: But that would mean we did what she said for no reason at all...
Kagome and Sango: *crack knuckles*
Corisu Li: *backs away* Heyyy...none of that....
Shippou: *wakes up, yawning and stretching, and watches Kagome and Sango chase Corisu Li while Inuyasha and Miroku are watching, exasperated* Well, I guess everyone else is kind of busy...so Corisu Li doesn't own any of us except for Ayako, so don't sue her.
Miroku: *looks at Inuyasha and Shippou* Ramen, anyone?
Inuyasha: I'm game.
Shippou: Me, too!
*Guys leave*
Corisu Li: Heyyyyyyyy!! Don't leave me heeeeeeere!!!!


Summary: Inuyasha has lost a bet. Now he has to spend one full month in Kagome's time. Will the appearance of a strange youkai change things for the worse?...or the better?


Chapter 14: Return to Kaede's

Kagome raced through the trees, following Inuyasha. It was about noon, and he hadn't said a real sentence to her all day, unless "Let's go." counted. She was wondering why he wasn't speaking as much as he normally would, especially because they were alone. Since they were out of the castle, they had the antidote, and the danger was past, she expected him to be less...well...

"Hey, wench! Keep up unless you want to get left behind!"

Kagome realized that she had fallen back quite a way while absorbed in her thoughts. Speeding up a little, she called, "Inuyasha, what's your problem today?!?"

Inuyasha didn't answer, and Kagome wondered whether he was hiding something. When she'd awoken that morning, she couldn't remember any of the events of the previous night. Inuyasha insisted that, after they had left the castle, she had merely collapsed from exhaustion, but she didn't quite believe that. She had no proof that he was lying, however, and could see no reason for him to withhold the truth. 'I mean,' she reasoned. 'It's not like I killed someone or something.'

Inuyasha, at the same time, was deep in his own thoughts. He couldn't tell Kagome what she'd done, he just couldn't. After the moon had taken its toll on her, he brought her back to the village where, luckily, she wasn't recognized. He wanted to do as much as he could before setting out to Kaede's. He was able to help the people with their injured by using the bandages in Kagome's backpack. Of course, he hadn't returned just to help them. He felt that he had to find out if Kagome had killed anyone. When he'd posed that question to the leader of the village, the old man had solemnly shook his head. Kagome had slaughtered two men that night, and injured almost a dozen others.

'Kagome,' Inuyasha thought. 'I'm sorry that I couldn't get there in time. I feel like I failed you. If I could've been just a little faster, maybe I could have kept you from doing what you did. I know I'll have to tell you...but I wish I didn't have to.' He looked back at her. Restored to her hanyou form, her hair streamed out behind her, twinkling once more with its white strands, and her eyes flashed in the sun. Again, he thought of how much he wished that she could remain hanyou, and how impossible it seemed.

Kagome caught up to Inuyasha, fighting to maintain the quick rate of speed that he'd picked up. "Inuyasha, what is it? I can tell that you're hiding something, and I want to know what it is."

Inuyasha scowled, muttered a characteristic "Feh.", and forced himself to go even faster. 'With her badgering me, I'll tell her anyway,' he thought as he ran.

Still, Kagome kept up with him, asking him once more what he was concealing. Inuyasha defiantly leapt upward into a tree and continued his travel there. Despite his efforts, Kagome remained right beside him, persistently demanding information. Inuyasha prepared for a huge jump that would surely lose her, but he never even got the chance to bend his knees for it.

"Osuwari!"

Inuyasha fell from the tree branch that he was on and met the ground head on. "Ow! Dammit, bitch, what'd you do that for?"

Kagome dropped from the trees and stood over him. "You're going to tell me, baka, and you're going to tell me now, or I'll break every bone in your body!"

Inuyasha winced. From the look in her eyes, he could tell that she wasn't bluffing. "Fine," he muttered, raising himself from the dirt and into a sitting position. "But you won't like it."

Kagome sat beside him and looked into his eyes. "Hey, I'm a big girl, Inuyasha. I can handle it."

'I seriously doubt it,' he thought, but gave a deep sigh anyway and proceeded to tell the story of the crescent moon night.

------------------------------

Kaede awoke to find the room that she was in nearly empty. Sango was gone from her futon, but the youkai had not moved from her their sleeping spots. The old woman pushed herself to her feet with her cane and made her way to the partition that led to the other room. Moving it aside, she entered the other room and got a similar shock. Miroku had gone as well.

Kaede smiled knowingly and set about making tea for their reappearance. 'It is about time that those two stopped their bickering and realized what they really feel for each other,' she thought. 'Now if only Miroku can stop touching every female that he encounters, he may have a chance yet.' With the grin still firmly fastened to her face, she returned to the other room to rouse Shippou and Kirara.

------------------------------

"Your turn," Miroku said, leaning back against the rock and gazing across the lake. Sango was sitting at his side. Her forearms and head were still wrapped in bandages from the burns, but she had insisted that she felt well enough for a walk.

Sango thought hard. "Hmm... Why do you always grope every girl you see?"

Miroku chuckled for a second before answering. "Well, Sango-chan, how will you ever find the one for you if you can't test the merchandise?"

Sango hit him upside the head with her knuckles and sighed. "I guess I was mistaken that you could ever be serious, eh, Houshi-sama?"

Miroku sighed and the smile faded from his face. "If you want a serious answer, I'm afraid I can't give one. It's a completely inexplicable part of me." He turned to face her. "However, if you were to ask why I grope YOU, Sango-chan, my answer would be that I find you very beautiful and attractive."

Sango blushed and turned away. Both said nothing for a long while, before she finally chirped out, "Your turn."

"Why do you always beat the living daylights out of me when I touch you?"

Sango looked as if she was seriously contemplating hitting him again until she realized that he was serious. "Well, Houshi-sama, I think that it is very indecent and offensive. You claim that you're a monk and then you turn around and act like a lecher! You act like you don't care how the female feels about it, as long as you get what you want." Sango hugged her knees and fixed her eyes on an ant that was making its way to the water.

Miroku was silent for a few minutes, then said, "If it really bothers you that much, Sango-chan, then I'll stop."

Sango looked up in surprise. "What's wrong with you today?"

"Nothing. I'm just...re-evaluating myself, that's all."

"Oh." The pair fell quiet once more. Then, Sango asked another question. "Houshi-sama? Did you really mean it when you said that you thought I'm beautiful and attractive?"

Miroku let a smile play across his face. "Sango-chan, I'm surprised at you!"

"What'd I do?"

"You tried to take my turn by asking two questions in a row."

"No, I didn't!"

"You asked me, 'What's wrong with you today?'..."

"That didn't count!"

"Ah, but it did."

"Houshi-sama! Stop making such a big deal about this and answer the qu-"

But Sango never finished her statement. After all, it's kind of hard to talk while you're kissing someone.

-------------------------------

Kagome's hands were over her mouth and silent tears coursed down her face. "No..." she whispered faintly.

Inuyasha had refused to look at her as he recounted last night's events. Now, he turned to her and drew her into his arms, where she began to sob loudly, wailing her heart's ache into his chest. "I'm sorry, Kagome," he said. "If only I'd been faster, I could have stopped you."

With much effort, Kagome raised her head and looked into his eyes. "It's not your fault," she declared. "It was this disgusting mess that we call Kagome!" She pushed him away and turned to face the south.

"Kagome, it wasn't your fault, either! You weren't in control of yourself!"

"I wasn't in control of myself because I'm weak, Inuyasha! I'm too weak to manage my own body!"

"Kagome!" Inuyasha stepped up to the girl, grabbed her arms, and spun her to face him. "You can't blame yourself! Who cares if you lost control over yourself for just that one night? Isn't it something that in all the battles that we've been in since you changed, you never once lost your composure?"

Apparently, this wasn't exactly the right thing to say. Kagome reddened and yelled, "I care, Inuyasha! I care that I killed people last night! Life may not mean much to you, but I think it's pretty damn precious!"

"Listen to yourself! Of course I care about life! But the life that I care about now is yours, Kagome. I'm not going to let you destroy yourself because of one mistake! Move on and keep living!"

Kagome stopped struggling against his grasp. The last statements appeared to have reached her ears. Inuyasha released her and she raised a hand to brush tears from her eyes. "Let's go," she said coolly. "I want to get this...this monster out of me!" Without waiting for consent, she took off.

Inuyasha delayed for a moment before following. 'Monster? Does she think that of me, too? Am I nothing but a barbaric beast to her?' He sighed, then took up the journey once more.

------------------------------

"WHAT?!?!" Sesshoumaru roared, banging his fist on the table and leaping to his feet. He looked nothing like his cool, collected self at that moment. He was showing emotion big-time...

Jaken jumped and pressed his face into the floor. "I'm so very sorry, Lord Sesshoumaru, but they managed to defeat Inazuma and acquire the antidote! I don't know how they could have done it!"

Sesshoumaru made a disgusted face as if he were seriously contemplating ripping the toad's head off his shoulders and giving it to Rin to play with. "No matter," he snarled. "This just means that I will enjoy killing the two of them that much more!"

"Bu-bu-but Lord Sesshoumaru!" Jaken blubbered. "If you were to attack your half-brother or his wench, the wrath of the inhabitants of the Northern Lands would be upon you!"

"Explain, Jaken."

"Well, the wench Kagome was the one who defeated Inazuma for good, by destroying his soul. But she is female, and cannot control the lands without defiance!"

"The point, idiot?" Sesshoumaru glared at Jaken, losing his patience.

"What I mean to say, Lord Sesshoumaru, is that if Inuyasha has truly taken the girl as his mate, then he is in a position to rule the Northern Lands!"

Sesshoumaru's anger ebbed for a moment. 'That's right...' he thought. 'Since they defeated the Taiyoukai of the North, they now control his territory! This means, that if I defeat my idiot half-brother, I will control two cardinal directions!' Sesshoumaru grinned, and Jaken gasped in horror.

"Please, my Lord, don't grin in such a fashion! I much prefer your anger!"

Sesshoumaru stood and began to leave the room. Over his shoulder, he called, "Jaken. When my brother stakes claim to the Northern Lands, make sure that I am notified. I will kill him when I can profit most from his death."

"Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru!" Jaken responded, sighing in relief that his life had been spared after relaying such bad information.

Sesshoumaru was impressed at how well everything had turned out. Now, he could kill his brother with many more rewards than he had ever thought possible. He would gain his territory, as well as rights to his bitch. All he had to do was wait until Inuyasha claimed what was his...

----------------------------------

Kagome and Inuyasha arrived at Kaede's in what seemed like record time. Entering the door, the pair found Kaede sitting on the floor, sipping tea. A full pot of it sat in front of her, but no one else was to be found.

"Kaede-baa-chan, where is everyone?" Kagome asked, using her senses to discern that the house was empty save for the old lady.

"I know not, child. Miroku and Sango have been gone since this morning, and I sent Shippou and Kirara to find them. Have ye the antidote?" Kaede quickly changed the subject, not wanting to have to hold a conversation about what Kagome and Inuyasha thought the others were up to.

"Hai, right here," Kagome answered, drawing out the vial and handing it to her.

Kaede inspected it closely and sighed, rising to her feet. "I shall get started on its preparation right away."

"Lord Inuyasha, so good to see that you are well and have succeeded in your mission," a small voice came from Inuyasha's shoulder.

"Myouga-jiji, how is it that you're never around when we need you?" Kagome asked, annoyed.

"It is a rare talent," was all that Myouga could get out before he was flattened and thrown away by Inuyasha, who muttered something about useless fleas.

Myouga's appearance was soon followed by that of Miroku and Sango, flanked by Kirara and Shippou, who both looked immensely proud of themselves.

Kagome rushed forward to hug Sango and to say how glad she was that she was all right. Sango looked into the corner, saw Kaede preparing the antidote, and immediately demanded details on Inazuma's defeat.

While Sango was getting caught up on the events of the previous evening, Miroku yanked Inuyasha out of the hut by an ear, earning himself a huge punch on the head when they finally got outside. When Miroku finally recovered, he looked up at Inuyasha. "So, how well did you and Kagome do?"

Inuyasha's eyebrow twitched in irritation. He knew perfectly well that Miroku didn't mean the fight. "That's none of your business, hentai."

"Well, I thought you might want to talk, seeing as how Sango and myself have come along quite nicely."

"Wh...you...and Sango... No way!"

Miroku nodded, a grin on his face. "We were finally able to express our feelings, and we shared an intimate moment before Shippou barged in..." Here, he shot an agitated look at the kitsune, who was sitting in the windowsill, watching, but continued. "I just wondered if you and Kagome had had the same luck."

Inuyasha stood there, dumbfounded, for a few seconds. The lech...and Sango?!? Where had THAT come from?' Finally, he managed to move his lips and said, "Well, Kagome and I-"

A shriek from inside the house caused him to abandon the sentence. Both males took off running toward the hut and entered, looking frantically around for the source of the scream.

Sango was biting back so many giggles that it looked as though she was in pain. It was clear that she had shrieked- with laughter.

"Sango, shhh!" Kagome pressed her hand over the girl's mouth and they both fell to the ground. Once they had toppled over, neither could hold it any longer and they exploded into mirth.

While they lay there, panting with the force of their laughter, Shippou decided to make it worse. He transformed into a perfect copy of Miroku (that is, if you don't count the tail) and leaned over Sango. With an overly fake deep voice, he inquired, "Pretty Sango, will you bear me dozens and dozens of children?"

This caused the girls to dissolve into giggles once more, and the guys sweatdropped. It was obvious that they had been talking about the new relationships that had developed. Stepping forward, Inuyasha grabbed Shippou (who popped back to his normal shape at the contact) by the tail and lifted him to eye level. "Oi, brat! Just what the hell is going on in here?!?"

The girls abruptly stopped laughing and diverted their gazes. Miroku nudged Inuyasha and gave him a sly look, then nodded toward the door. Inuyasha looked confused for a second, but then quickly got the idea and dropped Shippou, who fell on his head with a loud, "OW!"

The guys ran forward to where the girls sat. Inuyasha grabbed Kagome and put her over his shoulder and Miroku did the same to Sango.

Kagome blushed. "Hey! What are you doing!"

"Put me down!!!" Sango yelled, kicking and trying to wriggle free.

Both girls failed miserably at getting away, and were completely helpless as the guys left the house and headed right for the lake...and promptly chucked the girls in.

"KYAAAAA!! Miroku, I'll kill you!" Sango screamed, floundering and spluttering, her soaked hair in her face.

"Inuyasha, I'll get you for this!" shrieked Kagome, her silver eyes flashing.

Now it was the guys' turn to laugh. They clung to trees for support as they watched the sopping wet girls emerge from the lake like swamp monsters. They were laughing so hard, in fact, that they failed to see Kagome whisper something in Sango's ear, who nodded emphatically. The girls turned to face the gleeful guys with sinister grins on their faces. yells of rage they tackled their respective guys and brought them to the ground, pulling them into a rather soppy kiss. When they broke away, everyone was soaking wet and shaking with cold, but everyone was once more laughing. They could have stayed there until nightfall, holding each other, if it wasn't for Kaede calling them with, "The antidote is ready!"

--------------------------------

A half-hour later, everyone was sitting in a circle around the fire outside, completely dry. Kaede had brought out a bottle in which she'd put the antidote. It was now a purplish color instead of blue. Kaede ensured Kagome that it would serve its purpose, but probably wouldn't taste very good.

Kagome accepted the bottle and looked around at her friends. "Well this is it!" she said. "To my health!" Everyone nodded, and Kagome drained the bottle, then sat back, waiting for the change.

------------------------------

Kagome: What is your PROBLEM with leaving stories like that?

Corisu Li: Mmph emmph mmm mmt vee mmtremmteenk!

Sango: Um, Kagome? Maybe you ought to take the sock out of her mouth, first?

Kagome: Oh, yeah. *removes sock*

Corisu Li: I SAID...I thought it would be interesting!

Kagome: Well it's pretty darn annoying!

Corisu Li: Well, I'm sorry! Will you let me go now?

Kagome: Hmm, lemme think... NO!

Corisu Li: Aww, c'mon! I have to finish the fic!

Kagome: And you can do it from the confines of the chair.

Corisu Li: But did you HAVE to use barbed wire? Ah, screw it. *wiggles nose and bindings disappear* I'm done humoring you guys. Anyway, I only have to put up with one more chapter.

Sango: What do you mean? There's still so much to talk about!

Corisu Li: Well, I might do a sequel...not sure yet.

Kagome: You'd better!

Corisu Li: And for that, I shouldn't!

Kagome: Gr... Ok, readers, prove me right! Tell her if you want a sequel b/c the epilogue is coming soon! And she left soooo many loose ends...

Corisu Li: HEY!

Kagome: ...that I think she owes it to you! Well, wait until you read the epilogue to give the vote...if she gets 10 requests for a sequel, then she'll do it...any less and, forget it!

Corisu Li: Shouldn't I be saying all this?

Kagome: No, shut up!

Corisu Li: Youuuu.... *wiggles nose*

Kagome: *is suspended above a volcano by a fraying rope* Kyaaaa!

Corisu Li: Now that that's taken care of... Epilogue coming soon, it'll tell what happened and what Kagome decides to do...See ya then! *gets to work on last chappie (sniff)*


One Month for Romance by Corisu Li
  • Chapter 1: Inuyasha + School = BIG trouble!
  • Chapter 2: Livin' for the Weekend (part 1)
  • Chapter 3: Livin' for the Weekend (part 2)
  • Chapter 4: The Return of the Mad Groper!
  • Chapter 5: Yoroshiku, Kagome (Nice to meet you, Kagome)
  • Chapter 6: The Introduction of Mission: Almost Impossible
  • Chapter 7: The Calm before the Combat
  • Chapter 8: Clash of Opposing Wills: Kouga vs. Ningen Inuyasha!
  • Chapter 9: Shelter and Solace Until the Sun Rises
  • Chapter 10: A Newcomer and a Random Act of Kindness
  • Chapter 11: Right Up to the Front Door
  • Chapter 12: Two Identities Revealed and Inazuma's Past Revisited
  • Chapter 13: Dilemma: Stop Her, Inuyasha!
  • Chapter 14: Return to Kaede's
  • Epilogue: Going Home

  • Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
    Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


    Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
    Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
    Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
    The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


    This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

    Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
    Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
     

    Return to Samizdat Express

    Google
      Webseltzerbooks.com