Van and the Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html
 

Chapter Nine

"When Nightmares Come True..."


Very clever fanfic. It makes it so that characters from two eras which are hundreds of years apart end up meeting.  The main Zoid in here, called The War Wolf, is very believable. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: This goes for all chapters,so I don't have to write this dislaimer again...I don't own Zoids and don't get paid for writing this.Thank you.


Chapter Nine

"When Nightmares Come True..."

@*Van's POV*@

"What the #@*% is goin' on here?!?!"

Sakura yelled from the cockpit as I sat behind her,gazing up at the awesome threesome of Whale Kings that hovered above us.Another carpet of fire came down and we both let out a frightened yell,everyone else who was on the field doing the same.

One of the Whale Kings came down,the huge,sirrated-toothed mouth dropping down and allowing exit to a Zoid that looked like Sakura's War Wolf,but...different...this one was of the same structural design basically,but had some weapons differences along with a flame design rather than military camouflage.

"What kind of Zoid is that?"

I asked as the pilot,a man with short,dark green hair and burgundy eyes standing up.He seemed to smirk at us as Sakura started to bring the War Wolf forward to attack.she had apparently had enough of this already.Then...

"Stop!"

The male wolf pilot yelled,heavy fire pouring down in front of us from the other two Whale Kings above and preventing us from moving further.Sakura growled and opened a link on the comm. unit.

"Who the heck are you and what the heck do you want?!"

She demanded angrily.I was kinda thinking the other wolf pilot did'nt wanna mess with her,and that's why he was staying at such a distance.He then smirked to her and replied,

"My name's Blade,and I'm here to get that little Ancient Zoidian friend of yours."

"Ancient Zoidian?"

Sakura asked,confused.Blade nodded and continued.

"Yeah.You know,your friend that fell out of the sky?You're little so-called 'Angel' buddy.Well,we want him.Just hand him over and no one get's hurt."

That's when I realized he was talking about me.

"Hurry up and get him out here,before we come out there and do it ourselves."

Blade said,sounding more stern this time.Sakura growled and replied,

"Over my dead body..."

"Gladly..."

With that,more havy fire came down on us,Sakura letting out a yell as she tightened her grip on the controls,having a plan in her head as she activated her Zoid's Strike Laser Claw and started digging underground.

"Sakura,stop!Just let him have me!These guys are serious and I don't wanna see you get hurt!"

She looked back at me,glaring with those aqua eyes of hers.

"I've come too far to lose you now,Van..."

Was all she said to me as she continued to dig her underground tunnel,putting on some sort of nightvision scope to see what was in front of her.I then watched as she turned to her radar system.

"Hmmm...right above us..."

She said with a smirk,bringing the War Wolf into a crouch.I just held on tight,knowing what she was going to pull and also knowing I'd best be prepared for it,as I have to be with all of her crazy stunts.

She brought the War Wolf into a powerful jump,leaping up and over the other Wolf as her Camouflage Zoid literally erupted from the sand,finally coming down at the other wolf Zoid with Strike Laser Claw.

Blade seemed to just smirk though as his wolf seemingly disappeared,then re-appearing behind Sakura and slashing down with it's own Strike Laser Claw,making it go down.But the War Wolf and Sakura were far from out.

"So,you think you're all bad with your little War Wolf..."

Blade gloated,standing over the War Wolf like the battle was over and he'd won already.

"Well,now you to experienced the power of the next level,the Vesuvius Wolf!I came up with the name thanks to your little team mates over there..."

He nodded to the already system frozen Shadow Fox,Rev Raptor and Command Wolf of the Vesuvius Team.Sakura blinked her aqua eyes in thought though and said,

"Vesuvius Wolf?Next level?"

"Why yes,my dear little blonde girl."

Blade continued.

"You see,all along you thought there was only one War Wolf,when there were actually two.One in the possession of the Zoid Battle Commission,where you attained yours,and one in the possession of the Galactic Empire...or shall I say,the Neo Empire?"

"Neo Empire?!"

I could tell Sakura was officially cheesed off now,but Blade apparently had more to say.Sakura did'nt really want to listen,but in our position,we did'nt have much choice.

"Yes,the Neo Empire,reborn from the ashes of the old Empire and burning passionately anew with the power of this Zoid.We've modified this War Wolf many times over,redesigning the armor and weaponry until we came up with this ultimate Zoid,the Vesuvius Wolf!"

Sakura narrowed her eyes.I could tell this guy was charging in where Angels fear to tread as he seemed to hit on Sakura's pride as the pilot of her War Wolf.She gave an enraged yell and brought her Zoid up like lightning,making a slash of Strike Laser claw at the throat of the Vesuvius Wolf.

But Blade apparently saw her move and seemed to disappear again,the Strike Laser Claw hitting only air.I could tell how he was doing his disappearing act,and I did'nt like it...he was'nt using any sort of cloaking device,but was moving so fast he actually exceeded the speed of light,making the Vesuvius Wolf literally invisible!Or at least,invisible to Sakura and everyone else...

For some reason,everything seemed to go in slow motion to me when the Vesuvius Wolf started this light speed motion,allowing me to see it's movement somehow.I did'nt understand what ws going on.But that's how I knew it was using speed to go invisible rather than using a cloaking device.I watched as it made it's way around to attack from the right.

"Sakura!To the right!"

I yelled,Sakura not hesitating to look that way and lash out with Strike Laser Claw,somehow or other,by chance or by fate,locking claw-in-claw with the Vesuvius Wolf,both Zoids stopping for a second due to their surprised pilots.Blade seemed to recover from his surprise first though and thrusted his paw to the left,tossing Sakura and I to the ground.

I rubbed my head and said,

"Hey,Sakura,you okay?"

I did'nt get a reply.

"Sakura?Sakura!!"

I started to undo my harness to go to the front seat and help her,but I then heard the Vesuvius Wolf approaching and looked up,observing the Zoid looking down on the now system frozen War Wolf,the pilot smirking.

"Well,looks like it's over..."

Blade smirked,starting to bring his Zoid's head down to jump out.But then...

"Leave them alone!"

A voice yelled out as a certain White Liger came in at the Vesuvius Wolf,knocking it down and away from Sakura and I,but not disabling it.The pilot turned on the comm. unit and made a link to the War Wolf.

"You two okay?"

Bit asked.

As I looked at his face on the holographic screen,I was once again surprised by how much he looked like Sakura.But I managed to regain my composure quickly and said,

"I'm okay,but Sakura's hurt..."

I looked to her,now in the front seat as I observed her unconcious form,cringing at the spot of blood I saw growing in her blonde head.Bit seemed to be frightened by this sight,then becoming enraged as he turned to Blade.

"You're gonna regret this..."

He growled as he and Blade started going at it,rolling about on top of each other as they exchanged profanities.

I swallowed hard as I watched this a moment,then realizing the task at hand and turning back to Sakura,pulling a medkit out from under her seat and attempting to treat the wond that rested under her thick head of blonde hair.I had just finished doing what I could when I heard Bit let out a surprised yell.

I lifted my head up like a rubber band snapping and looked toward the battle,seeing the Liger Zero being sent literally flying until it hit a desert cliff nearby,Bit apparently being knocked unconcious and the Liger Zero system frozen,as neither moved.

"Bit no!Please,get up!"

I yelled,not really knowing why,but I was now somewhat cradling Sakura's unconcious body in my arms.

"Bit,come on!BIT!!!"

The Vesuvius Wolf made a casual walk over to the War Wolf,Blade jumping out of the cockpit with a rifle ready.He took a few shots at the autoclasps that held the cockpit canopy down,causing it to raise up with a soft hiss.He then smirked at me.

"All right then,Ancient Zoidian,come on outta there before I blast your pretty little blonde girlfriend there."

Blade said,cocking his rifle.I could'nt take it anymore and gently laid Sakura in the seat,feeling tears form in my eyes.I looked at her a moment before leaning down and gently kissing her forehead.

"I'm sorry Sakura..."

I whispered before jumping out of the cockpit,raising my arms in the air.

Blade grinned and said,

"Good boy.Now,no funny moves."

He came over to me,grabbing my wrists and handcuffing me tightly before starting back toward his Zoid.I took one look back at Sakura before climbing in with Blade,swallowing hard and squeezing my eyes shut to prevent the tears that threatened to pour out.Yes,I was having to work so hard at not crying.It was just that...Sakura had done so much for me...and then this happened.

She had finally found a friend that she felt she could be with.She had been comfortable with me,thinking that nothing could separate us.But...I guess we were wrong...I had'nt thought anything could separate us myself.Sakura and I had come a long way...and now...we were having to say goodbye.It seemed to me like we had'nt been together that long...I guess time flies when you're having fun.Yeah,even if I had left my other world behind 300 years ago,it was worth it to be with Sakura like that.It was...worth it to give her the friend she never had,too...

"Get in there!"

Blade growled,breaking my thoughts as he literally shoved me into the back seat of the Vesuvius Wolf.I sighed and positioned myself comfortable,managing to clasp the harness with the handcuffs restraining my arms.I looked back at the War Wolf,swallowing hard again as I whispered a soft and gentle,

"I'm sorry,Sakura..."


I felt my breath leave my lungs with a harsh whoosh as I was flung to the cold metal floor by Blade,still restained by the handcuffs and now a pair of leg irons.I coughed and breathed heavily,regaining my breath as I looked up at the person whom I had been brought to.

"Welcome...Ancient Zoidian Van Flyheight..."

A smooth,chilling voice flowed to my ears from the pitch black darkness ahead of me.I grunted and got to my knees,still straining my chocolate eyes in an attempt to see past this darkness and lays eyes on my captor's employer.I finally got up th nerve to speak and said,

"Yeah...that's me...I don't know about all this Ancient Zoidian stuff,but I am Van Flyheight...now,you mind telling me what all this Ancient Zoidian stuff and how it brings me here?"

That's when he finally showed himself,emerging from the darkness like a bad dream.His appearance made chills run up and down my spine several times over.He...was actually a SHE!I could literally feel the evil energy flowing from her though...she wore this tight,black leather clothing and a long,black silk cape.Her face was covered by a shiny,black,menacing-yet-femanine looking breath mask.Her gaze made even more chills run through me as she said to me,

"I'll ask the questions around here,Ancient Zoidian.I am Darth Malice..."

"Darth Malice..."

I muttered under my breath,then remembering some of the things Sakura had told me about the old Galactic Empire,and how it's leaders were two Siths.One of them called Darth Vader...

I could feel Darth Malice's smirk at me through her mask as she continued,

"You are here because,well,basically,I need you.Or,your powers rather."

"My powers?"

"Of course.Don't think I don't know where you came from.You've somehow or other traveled here from 300 years in the past.Those 300 years ago,you would have been a normal person.But no,not today.Today,you are an Ancient Zoidian,one who's powers I need for my ultimate weapon of destruction."

"But I don't have any special powers!And even if I did,I'd die before using them to help YOU in any way!So you can just forget it!"

"You do have special powers,my lad.You just have not yet learned to unlock them and use them.But,very soon,we will get those powers out of you,one way or the other!"

I could'nt believe what I was hearing.Did I really have some sort of special powers due to that 300 year time warp,or was Darth Malice here just off her rocker?I really had no idea...

Malice looked at me a moment more before continuing.

"We will begin mastering your powers tomorrow.But first,we want you to be well rested and in top shape to do so."

She raised her gaze back to Blade,who stood obediently nearby in a soldier-like fashion.

"Blade,take him to his room."

He nodded and walked over to me,picking me up by the nape of my neck and literally dragging me down the cold hallways of the base I had been brought to and finally throwing me into a cold,dark cell.

I did'nt bother to move after being thrown inside,closing my eyes and just wishing I could die then and there.I actually found myself looking around for an object I could kill myself silently with.

But then,images started flashing in my mind.Images from my nightmare the night before,mixed in with scenes from the battle earlier.

"The War Wolf and the Liger Zero..."

I whispered,my eyes widened in fear and astonishment at all of this,remembering how they had been battling in my dream and in real life.

"The blood rain..."

I then remembered seeing the red life fluid raining down on the surrounding area,afterwards seeing Sakura's unconcious form again as her own blood seeped through her blonde hair.

"The sight of Sakura's past..."

I could see the scenes replaying over again of how Sakura's parents had been murdered right in front of her,then remembering how the big subject of my 300 years ago past had been brought up earlier.

"W-Was it a Dream?"

I asked myself silently.

"Or...a vision?"

End of Chapter Nine


 
Van and the Mercenary by Sakura


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com