Van and the Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html
 

Chapter Four

"Lab Escape"


Very clever fanfic. It makes it so that characters from two eras which are hundreds of years apart end up meeting.  The main Zoid in here, called The War Wolf, is very believable. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: This goes for all chapters,so I don't have to write this dislaimer again...I don't own Zoids and don't get paid for writing this.Thank you.


Chapter Four

"Lab Escape"


~*Van's P.O.V.*~

My head pounded like a drum as I slowly but surely returned to conciousness.I felt like I had been run over by a Gustav.

I groaned and started to move my hand up to my aching head,but found it to be restrained to what I was laying on.I tried my other arm,but it was held down too.

I finally opened my eyes,though knowing the light would only make them hurt worse.And,surely enough,the bright lamp I found myself under did make it hurt worse.Much worse.I actually wondered if I was laying there dieing.

"Wh-where the heck am I?"

I asked no one impraticular.

Then,as I laid there,my memories slowly started to drift back.I remembered how those guys kidnapped me,how Sakura had gone after them,how I had seen her...I tried to forget that last part,but the image stuck.I kept seeing her getting buried in the avalanche over and over again.

"Sakura..."

I whispered sadly to myself,a tear running down my cheek.

"I...I can't believe she's gone..."

That's when I heard the door open.I looked up to see...what were their names?Lars and Regis?Yeah,that was it.I looked up to see them coming into the room.But they were dressed differently now.Instead of wearing normal clothes like before,they now wore white coats.White Lab coats.

"Well,good morning to you,Van."

Lars smirked.

"I do hope you got enough rest,as we're going to be very busy today."

I sneered,forgetting my headache as anger rose up inside me like an erupting volcano.

"What do you guys want with me!?What's going on here?!"

Regis picked up a needle.

"Relax,we're not gonna hurt you,kid.We just wanna...study you."

"Study me?!"

I asked in surprise,sweatdropping.

"D-do I look like some Guinnea Pig?!"

I began struggling fiercely at my restraints,trying my best to get free.But they held me fast.

"Now now,Van.Just calm down.We know you came from the past and we just want to find out how much different you are from us and how you are different."

Lars said smoothly.But that smile on his face...I could tell it was evil.Pure evil.

"You can't just go studying me like I'm some animal or something!What do I look like,A Lab Rat!?"

Regis came over to me with the needle.

"You're our Lab Rat now."

He cracked with an evil smile that matched his partner's.

I gulped,looking at the needle.It was huge!

"What's that thing for!?An Elephander?!"

Neither of the men answered me as Regis brought the needle closer to my arm.

I started struggling again,hoping to move enough to avoid the needle,though that was a slim chance,and I knew it.

Regis handed the needle to Lars and held me down with his brute strength.

"Hold still,kid.This won't hurt...much."

I continued to struggle,though not able to move nearly as much now.I sweatted nervously as the needle came closer,almost in contact.Then...

CRASH!!!!

Glass suddenly flew everywhere from the window nearby as someone jumped through.Lars and Regis stepped back as I observed who it was.

"Sakura!"

I yelled,overjoyed to see her.

She smirked and looked at the guys,just before they made a run out of the room.

"Cowards..."

I heard her mutter as she came over to me,drawing a dagger and cutting my restraints.

"You all right,Van?"

She asked me.

I could only nod in response,then looking her over.She had several deep cuts and bruises all over her body.

"Sakura...you're hurt..."

She looked down at herself,as though she had'nt noticed.

"So I am."

She said,her nonchalantness surprising.

"Come on,let's get out of here."

She turned to the window,but a metal blocker suddenly came down in it as alarms started going off everywhere,red lights flashing.

"This ain't good..."

She said,looking to the door.

"Come on."

I just followed,not able to do much else.

We exited the room and started down a hallway,Sakura drawing her gun from it's holster as she ran.

"YOU THERE!!!FREEZE!!!"

A voice said from behind us.We turned to see 3 guards,armed with Tranquilizer guns.

Sakura surprised me though,never faultering as she expertly fired her own gun at them,knocking the tranqs from their hands.

"Good shooting..."

I said as she turned to go down another hallway.

"Thanks."

She said with a smirk.

We turned a corner sharply,seeing an exit up ahead.I thanked the Lord we had found it as we ran forward.So close!It was just the hallway's length away!

But then,more guards cut us off,about six of them jumping in front of the door and aiming their tranqs at us.

"Blast..not enough bullets left for this..."

Sakura muttered.

I face faulted,sweatdropping.

"Tell me you're joking!"

I said as the guards raised their tranqs.

Sakura grabbed my wrist and literally drug me down another hallway.I managed to start running on my own though and followed her,the guards right behind us.

"Man,these guys are fast..."

She said as a tranq whizzed by,missing her by inches.

"Gotta be some way to get away from 'em..."

I thought,then looking up ahead to see one of those beds with wheels on the legs.I pointed to it and Sakura nodded,both of us then running forward and leaping onto it.We went down the hallway at double the speed now.

Sakura looked back at the guards and yelled,

"Eat our dust,Cheeseheads!"

She yelled,sticking her tongue out at them.

I laughed some and looked ahead,seeing a huge window that had'nt been blocked at the end of the hallway ahead.

"Ummm...Sakura..."

I said,tapping her shoulder as she was still turned around,taunting the guards.

She finally turned and said,

"What is it,Van?"

I did'nt have time to answer as we hit the end of the hallway,both of us getting flung forward and crashing through the window.Both of us let out a loud yell,soon hitting the ground below with a sickening thud.

I groaned and sat up,looking over to Sakura.

"You okay?"

I asked as she sat up,pulling a huge shard of glass from her long,blonde hair.

"Never better."

She said in reply,her nonchalantness once again surprising me.

"Come on,let's move."

I said,helping her up.She nodded a thanks to me and we ran again,but stopped short as what looked like an electrical fence cut us off.

"This just keeps gettin' better and better..."

I muttered sarcastically,looking back to see more guards coming after us.

Sakura tugged my sleeve,pointing to a tree that hung out over the fence.I nodded and followed her to the tree,climbing up and out onto the branch that held out over the fence.

"Come on,Van!We're almost there!"

Sakura said with a smile as she got ready to jump down,but the branch broke under our weight and we both fell with a crash,hitting the ground hard.

"This is not my day..."

I said to myself,getting up and looking around.

"I don't see any more guards around...come on!Let's go!"

Sakura jumped to her feet and said,

"Right!"

She darted off into the nearby woods.She apparently had the War Wolf camouflaged somewhere.I followed her closely until she stopped.I looked around,wondering why she had stopped here.But then I saw some movement as the canopy lifted from the War Wolf's cockpit.Man,did that thing have good camouflage!

Sakura and I leapt right into the cockpit and she mobilized,taking off.

I looked back,thanking the Lord I did'nt see anyone behind us.

"Man,that was close!"

I said,laying back in my seat.

"Thanks for bustin' me outta there,Sakura.I owe ya one."

She smiled and said,

"No sweat,Van.Anything for a friend."

I could'nt help but smile as well.I was glad she finally had a friend.

I sat up some and said,

"I'm glad you're okay,too.When I saw those rocks come down on you,I thought you were..."

"Dead?Ha.Takes a lot more than that to put Sakura Courage Solo down."

I smirked and said,

"Yeah,you're right.But still,you did have me pretty worried."

"Sorry about that."

"It's okay.Just glad you're okay."

"Thanks.Anyway,let's get out of here for now and get a doctor to check out all these wounds.Flying through a window and getting buried in a rock avalanche isn't very healthy."

"Tell me..."

"Then what say we get a couple of Vanilla Cokes and find some place to crash for the night?Man,I'm beat."

"Sounds like a plan."

I said with a smile,closing my eyes as well needed sleep began to close over me.But one thought troubled my mind...

Would those guys be back?



Once again,thankyou all my reviewers!Thankyou so much!*bows*I'll have the next chapter up soon!See ya!

End of Chapter Four


Van and the Mercenary by Sakura


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com