Van and the Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html
 

Chapter Twelve

"Vision"


Very clever fanfic. It makes it so that characters from two eras which are hundreds of years apart end up meeting.  The main Zoid in here, called The War Wolf, is very believable. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: This goes for all chapters,so I don't have to write this dislaimer again...I don't own Zoids and don't get paid for writing this.Thank you.
 


Was it a dream?

Or a vision?

In a last ditch effort to save Sakura's mortally wounded Zoid,I managed to use my powers and merge with it,actually entering myself into the Zoid Core.I was inside for a long time,surrounded by white light and a comforting warmth.

Then Blade showed up again,and I separated from the War Wolf,which had now transformed into a new Zoid:A black Wolf type Zoid with blue-white celestial designs and crystalline weapons known to us now as the Celeste Wolf.I myself had changed as well,the once red stripe on the left of my face changing to blue and upon the opposite side,as well as my clothes changing to a tank top and pants with a similar design to the Celeste Wolf.

With Sakura piloting,the Celeste Wolf easily won the battle against Blade and the Vesuvius Wolf.And now our adventure continues...


Chapter Twelve

"Vision"

"Okay,so what you're trying to tell me is...Van is an Ancient Zoidian and he's the one who actually transformed the War Wolf into the Celeste Wolf?"

Sombra asked as she piloted her Shadow Fox through the desert,alongside me and Sakura in the War Wolf.

"Yup,that's right..."

Sakura replied.

"I did some research on the subject on the internet,and that's part of an Ancient Zoidian's power is transforming Zoids into the next level."

I was a little embarassed,seeing that Sakura seemed to know more about what I had done than I did.

"But nobody really knows how the Ancient Zoidian's actually did this..."

She continued,then turning around and looking at me in the back seat.

"So,Van...how did you do it?"

I sweatdropped,more embarassed now as I replied,

"Well,to tell you the truth...I'm not really sure how I did it...I just merged into the Zoid Core and wished really hard for the War Wolf to be healed...I'll admit though,I never wanted it to or even knew that it could evolve like that..."

Sakura blinked,then turning back to piloting the War Wolf.

"Hmmm...that is strange...maybe your will was so strong for the War Wolf to be healed it actually pushed it to evolve,if it was your will that healed it,like it sounds."

I sort of nodded,kind of having the idea of that in my head already,but was'nt really sure of it.Then again,I still was'nt quite sure of it.I pretty much had just found myself confused.

I then heard Sakura sort of let out a growl,

"Either way,this Darth Malice character is gonna get it for what she tried to do to you...and I'll personally see to stopping this 'Neo Empire' business...

Boy,Sakura sure had this thing against the Neo Empire already...but I could see why.It was because of the old Empire before that her parents were murdered right in front of her,and why she was separated from her older brother and did'nt even remember who he was.I could'nt even imagine how many other families had been torn apart by the Empire,and how many this Neo Empire would do the same if they got their way.All though I did'nt agree to Sakura wanting to do it on her own.I guess that's why Sombra had offered to travel with us.What was a surprise to me was that Sakura had accepted.I guess I had finally convinced her that she was'nt cursed.

I just hoped she would'nt get herself killed trying to take down the Neo Empire...


"Huh?Where...am I?"

I thought to myself as I opened my eyes,looking about at the destruction around me.It looked like it had been a town at one time,before it was set ablaze,everything now burned to the ground.I swallowed hard and stepped forward.

"What...happened?How...who did this?!"

I then heard a groan from nearby,turning my head to the sound.Air went into my lungs sharply as I gasped,seeing my best friend laying on the ground,burned and badly beaten.I kneeled down and gently took her into my arms,being careful of her wounds as I did so.

"Sakura?Sakura,can you hear me?Sakura,please answer me!"

She grunted and opened her aqua eyes ever so slightly,looking up at me.

"V-Van?"

She croaked out,as though surprised I was there.

"Yeah,it's me Sakura.Please hang on,okay?I'm gonna get you to a doctor."

Sakura for some reason did'nt seem too convinced as I saw her eyes water a little.She weakly reached her hand up and gently touched my face.

"I...love you..."

She whispered,her eyes then closing as he hand went limp.I gripped it tight before it fell though and looked to Sakura.

"No,you can't die...Sakura,please...don't go..."

But she did'nt respond,laying there limply in my arms without so much as a breath of life in her.I swallowed hard and started to cry then and there,not able to believe that she was gone.Then...

"Van,you can prevent this from happening..."

I looked up and around,wondering where the voice I suddenly heard had come from.

"Who...who's there?"

I looked all around,still hugging Sakura's body tight in my arms,as though hopeful she'd just wake up and be okay,all though I knew deep inside that that was'nt the case.

Then,she suddenly disappeared from my grasp,leaving only a few angel white feathers floating gently to the ground.I wondered what was going on as I then looked up,suddenly seeing a woman in front of me.She looked a lot like Sakura,but...different.She had the same aqua eyes as Sakura did,but her hair...it was the same style as Sakura's,but brunette instead of blonde.

I then remembered seeing a similar woman before in the vision I had had of Sakura's past.

"Y-You're...Sakura's...Mother..."

She nodded slightly and came forward to me,looking right into my chocolate eyes with her aqua ones.

"Van...you can prevent this from happening..."

"Wh-what?Wait...is this...another vision?Like before?"

"Yes...please,Van...protect Callista...protect my Daughter...I trust you will..."

"C-Callista?Wait...that's...that's Sakura's real name..."

"Of course.You think a Mother would not know these things?"

"Well,I...ummm..."

"Don't worry,Van.You'll do a fine job.I know you will."

She then opened her hand to me,revealing some sort of necklace with a simple,8-sided clear crystal on it in her palm.

"Hey,that's..."

I then thought back,remembering some old photos I had seen of my Mother.That had been the exact same necklace she was wearing in every photo I had seen!

Sakura's Mother smiled and put the necklace around my neck.

"She told me to give it to you,Van..."

"Huh?Wait,you don't mean...my Mom told you to..."

She nodded again.

"You and Sakura meeting was not mere chance,Van...it was destiny."

With that,she seemingly disappeared,as well as everything else around me.

"Hey!Wait!"

I called out,but she had already disappeared.I sighed and looked around,realizing I was back in the War Wolf's back seat,where I had fallen asleep earlier that night.Sakura slept soundly in the seat in front of me as Sombra slept the same way in the Shadow Fox,though snoring loud enough for us to hear through her cockpit canopy and ours...

I sighed and looked around the seat at Sakura,watching her sleep soudly.I thanked the Lord it had only been a dream as I layed back in my seat.

Or...had it really been a vision?

I was'nt sure.I yawned again and decided to figure it out later,when my brain was more awake.I laid back and closed my eyes,twirling the necklace around my neck in my fingers subconciously.

Wait...Necklace?!

My eyes snapped open when I realized it and I looked down,holding the pendant in my hand now...the same one Sakura's Mother had given to me in the dream...

"It was a vision..."

I whispered to myself.

"A...vision..."


Sakura smiled later the next day as she and Sombra and I walked down the street of the city we had just come to,called Romeo city.It was a big place,a little big for my liking,but it was okay.

I looked around some,the only one that was'nt smiling as I thought about my vision.Every time I looked at Sakura since,I saw her Mother instead,warning me again.

I shook my head and sighed,remembering how she had said I could prevent the events in my vision.But I had no idea how they even started,so how COULD I prevent them?

I was'nt sure,all though I strained my brain trying to figure it out as I followed Sakura and Sombra down the sidewalk.

Sakura blinked and looked back at me,sensing my sudden mental activity I guess.

"Hey,Van,you okay?"

She asked as she and Sombra stopped and turned to me.Sakura's voice broke me from my thoughts and I looked up at her.

"Yeah,yeah,I'm okay,just...thinking..."

I replied.

Sombra chuckled and said,

"Don't hurt yourself."

I could'nt help but chuckle a bit myself as Sombra continued.

"But really Van,something is bugging you.Now come on,tell us what it is so maybe we can help."

Sakura nodded,giving me one of those begging/worried looks that I hated so much,since they always got me to do what she wanted.All though she never used them just to get what she wanted,I know,it was just natural for her when she was worried about me and wanted to help.I sighed and said,

"Well..."

I was still debating on whether to tell her or not,but finally said,

"It's nothing,really...just a bad dream last night that's bothering me,that's all...I'm okay..."

Sakura finally sighed and nodded,realizing I was'nt going to say anything past that as she went back to piloting.I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes,hoping to catch a nap.But it was near impossible as the dream still lingered...the warning from Sakura's Mother...no,it was'nt a dream,it was a vision...the crystal around my neck proved that...

I felt the War Wolf come to a stop as Sakura brought to park near a somewhat small village,Sombra following suit in the Shadow Fox.We all got out of our Zoids and I looked around the village,suddenly feeling some sort of danger here...something threateningly lethal.I then saw flames erupt from the area that no one else did.

"Sakura!!!"

I yelled,grunting and dropping to my knees,holding my head.

"Van!What's wrong?!A-Are you okay?!"

She asked,kneeling down next to me.

But I could'nt hear her.All I could hear was the roar of flame in my ears.I felt the heat,too...the burning heat...I felt smoke being sucked into my lungs and coughed.Sakura turned to Sombra and told her to get a doctor before turning back to me.

"Hang on,Van!Help's coming,okay?!Just hang on!!!"

I still could'nt hear her though,the roar of flames and my own oughs,along with my pounding heartbeat,being way too loud in my ears.It was all too much...it was then and there that I passed out.


I awoke some time later to the feeling of a cool cloth being gently patted against my forehead.I opened my eyes slightly,seeing Sombra hanging over me.

"S-Sombra?"

I whispered,starting to sit up.She laid me back down though and said,

"Just rest,Van...the doctor said you need plenty of rest after what happened..."

"Wh-where's Sakura?"

I asked horsely.Sombra nodded over to a corner where Sakura slept,sitting on the floor with her back leaned against the wall.

"She was really worried about you,Van.She fell asleep over there while she was watching you.I decided not to wake her and took over."

I sighed,thanking the Lord Sakura was okay.I winced and rubbed my aching forehead just before Sombra continued gently patting it down.

"It's okay.The doctor said you'd be just fine."

I heard Sombra tell me,but I then remembered what I had seen,realizing that it was another vision of warning.I sat up.

"Sombra...we...we have to get out of here...this whole village is going to be burned down with us in it if we don't move!"

Sombra blinked her chocolate eyes at me in confusion and sighed.

"Oh,Van...that must have been a terrible dream...but don't worry.It was just a dream and it's over now."

I sweatdropped,then grunted and yelled,

"I was'nt dreaming!!It was a vision!!We have to get out of this village and we have to do it now!!!"

It was Sombra's turn to sweatdrop now,doing so at my raised voice.Sakura came around with all the sudden noise and stodd.

"Van,what's wrong?"

She asked me sleepily,yawning.

"Are you okay?"

I opened my mouth to speak,but my voice was suddenly drowned out by the sound of a loud explosion,all of us ducking at the ound as glass was blown out of a window nearby.

"What the...!?"

Sakura growled after the explosion had ended.

"Under attack...you guys find a safe place!I'm gonna go wipe out whoever's doing this!!"

She ordered,running out the door.

"Sakura,wait!"

Sombra and I yelled,getting up and going after her.But we never caught up...she was already in the War Wolf and off to battle before we could stop her.

"Blast..."

Sombra muttered,then making a run for her Shadow Fox,jumping in and heading out for battle.

Now as you can probably guess,I wanted in on the action,too.I was now starting to understand what Sakura's Mother told me...she said I could prevent what I had seen happen to Sakura.She meant it was my job to protect her,becuase things were getting a lot rougher for her now than they had been.

But how could I protect her?!I did'nt even have a Zoid!!

I looked around frantically,seeing a Blade Liger nearby.It was'nt my old Shield Liger,but it'd work.I mean,it was still a Liger after all.

I made a run to it and leapt into the cockpit,strapping myself in and bringing down the canopy before taking off,soon finding Sakura and Sombra up against 4 Zaber Fangs and a Lightning Saix.The pilots of these Zoids were really good to take Sakura and Sombra like they did,pinning the War Wolf and Shadow Fox to the ground,about to fire on their cockpits.

I took that as my cue and headed forward at top speed,blades extended and glowing bright hot with laser energy.

The Zoids looked at me,only now noticing me as I sliced into two of the Zaber Fangs,system freezing them easily as I had sliced the throat conduit:A vital area of the Zaber Fang.

Two more Zaber Fangs came at me from either side,attacking like Velociraptors.I tried to run forward and evade,but they were fast for Zaber Fangs and I ended up taking the hit directly,just behind my Blades.I tried making a backwards jump,one blade slicing into a Zaber Fang and system freezing it,but the other was still up and kicking,headbutting the Blade Liger down into the sand.

I growled,about to bring the Liger up,but the Zaber fang held it down,aiming it's rifles at my cockpit.I sweatted profusely,thinking this was it.Then...

"Why don't'cha pick on someone your own size ya big bully?!?!"

I heard Sakura yell as a multitude of shots hit the Zaber Fang directly in the side,the Zoid stopping a second before falling over,system frozen.I looked over to see the War Wolf up and about again,Wild Weasel Units smoking just before being pulled back into the sides,the panels coming down over them.

"You all right,Van?"

Sakura asked.I nodded and said,

"Yeah,thanks Sakura...I owe you one..."

"Nah,we're even."

She smirked as Sombra was sort of in the background of this,doing battle with the Lightning Saix.

The Cheeta-Type Zoid made a quick run at Sombra's Shadow Fox from behind,firing off it's cannon.sombra smirked.

"Too easy..."

She easily evaded the shots and brought her Shadow Fox to a screeching halt,the Lightning Saix going too fast to stop as it passed her.Sombra chuckled and leapt on it as it went to turn,activating the Strike Laser Claw and making a deep,DEEP gash in the Lightning Saix's side.

It sparked a little before falling over.Sombra grinned.

"Maybe you'll think twice next time before messing with me and Shadow Fox..."

Sakura and I brought out Zoids over,parking them and jumping from our cockpits.

"Good one,Sombra.Nice moves back there."

Sakura told her,Sombra smiling as she jumped down from her own cockpit,following Sakura and I as we went over to the Lightning Saix to get a look at the lead pilot of the attack.

Sakura kicked open the cockpit,357 Magnum at the ready.

"All right,come on outta there,now!And don't try anything funny!!"

The pilots wiggled out,falling to the sand afterwards.He grunted,sitting up.He was dressed like a Stormtrooper,but with black armor instead of white armor,and it looked more advanced.Sakura growled.

"I expect you're with the Neo Empire...all right,give that idiot leader of yours Malice Vader a message for me.Tell her she and her little Empire are gonna go down if it's the last thing I ever do!"

The Neo Trooper seemed to gulp and sweat under his armor,nodding slowly as he got up.Sakura glared.

"All right,get going.And if I every see you again,don't expect to live..."

The trooper nodded again,making a quick and fast run away from the area,Sakura growling before tuning back to Sombra and I,who were surprised that she had let him go.

"Come on...let's get outta here before more happen to show up after us..."

Sombra and I nodded,about to go back to our Zoids.But to my surprise,when I turned,the Blade Liger was gone!

I sweatdropped,looking all around.

"Huh?What the...?!It was here just a second ago..."

I then notice the crystal around my neck glowing a little,and I heard a voice in my head...

'I let you use the Zoid for a short while because you needed it,Van.Thankyou for protecting my Daughter."

With that,the voice faded and I smiled a little,realizing it was Sakura's Mother.

"Thanks..."

I whispered,then hearing the War Wolf stop behind me.I turned,seeing Sakura lower the cockpit and open the canopy.

"Come on,Van!Let's get a move on!"

I nodded and jumped into the cockpit,clasping my harness as the canopy came down,the War Wolf giving a howl before taking off.

I sighed with relief,glad that that was over.But still,I had this lingering feeling that this peace would'nt last long...

End of Chapter Twelve


Van and the Mercenary by Sakura


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com