Van and the Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html

Chapter 22

"The Finishing Blow"


Very clever fanfic. It makes it so that characters from two eras which are hundreds of years apart end up meeting.  The main Zoid in here, called The War Wolf, is very believable. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: This goes for all chapters,so I don't have to write this dislaimer again...I don't own Zoids and don't get paid for writing this.Thank you.


Was it a dream?

Or...a vision?

The gang and I had found ourselves spending the night in an abandoned military bunker.I was thinking hard about the battle that would take place the next day,and apparently Sakura had been too...it worried her to the point of getting drunk...but what worried her even more was the fear of losing me in this battle.

That's when I finally proposed to Sakura,seemingly making her feel much better about the whole thing as I promised her nothing would happen,and so we spent that night together.

But the next day started out anything but what we had planned.Instead of going to the Neo Empire,they came to us.Or me,anyway.Darth Malice herself came after me specifically,using her powers to take over my body and basically knock me out.And now I have no idea where I'm gonna wake up...


Chapter 22

"The Finishing Blow"

I groaned several hours later as I finally started to come around,my head pounding with severe headache as I slowly but surely forced my eyes open,taking in my surroundings:A very fancy yet dark looking room with a silver-framed bed;which I was laying in;black silk covers,black carpet,a silver metal nightstand and dresser,and black silk curtains over by the silver metal door.The room had no windows,but only a single,hallogen light that lit the room from above.My mouth dropped slightly as I continued to take in these surroundings,trying to figure out where I was.

That's when I felt it again...Darth Malice's presence...just the same as I had felt it before she had kidnapped me...

"Oh,no..."

I muttered,quickly standing from the bed and looking all around for a way of escape.I could unfortunately find nothing though,trapped like a mouse as the door suddenly came open with a soft hiss.I took a couple of steps back.

That's when she stepped in:None other than Darth Malice.The sound of her breathing through that mask sent chills up my spine,and the look she gave me made my skin crawl.

She walked toward me with an almost floating stride,her long,black silk cape flowing gracefully behind her slender,black leather covered body.I wondered for a second if she was trying to use me for my powers or trying to seduce me...

Malice then stopped in front of me,kneeling down so her masked face was only inches from mine.I could have sworn I smelled her breath as well as heard it as she finally spoke,

"So,we meet again,Flyheight..."

I moved back a little and nodded slowly,narrowing my eyes at her.

"Yeah...we meet again..."

I seethed,Malice watching my every move like a hawk.I did'nt let it phase me though as she said,

"I see you're not happy to see me.That's fine.As long as I get what I want."

I growled at her and replied,

"There's no way on Zi I'm helping you...I would'nt help you if the deserts froze over!"

I could almost see her smirk behind the breath mask though as she stood and loomed over me,like a tower of darkness.

"We shall see about that,my dear boy..."

She then raised a hand to me,and I suddenly felt a certain,evil energy envelop and enter my body,seemingly seeping into me through me skin.I felt my head start to hurt again and gripped it tight with both hands,trying my best to fight off this evil energy.It was'nt east though,I'll tell you that much.

Malice smiled to herself calmly as she watched me fight and struggle against her power,thinking in her mind that I would wear down eventually and submit,but she was gonna get a rude awakening...

Sakura kept her eyes narrowed and stayed silent as she,Sombra and Bit now found themselves racing their Zoids across the desert toward the third and final Neo Imperial Base of Planet Zi.They had all left immediately when they realized I was gone,and Sakura had her mind set on nothing but getting me back,not caring what she would have to do to accomplish this.Sombra then finally spoke up,opening a link to Sakura,

"Hey,Saku...you okay in there?"

She asked in concern for her friend,but Sakura offered no answer,deep in her thought and concentration on what she was doing.Sombra wondered if the mercenary had even heard her.Bit then decided to give it a try,

"Come on,Saku.Van's tough,he'll be okay until we get to him..."

Sakura remained silent though,Sombra and Bit deciding to just leave her in her silence,seeing that they were'nt going to be getting any response from her anytime soon.

She continued to remain silent for several more hours,the three of them eventually reaching the third and final Neo Imperial Base of Planet Zi.Sakura growled and finally said something,

"All right,Bit and Sombra,I want you two to stay out here and fight off any Neo Imperial Zoids you see.I'm going straight in after Van and I'll be back to help you guys out in a few minutes.And if you guys start running out of ammo or if things get bad and you find yourselves unable to fight much longer,I want you to fire at the base's thermal generator."

Bit and Sombra immediately opened their mouths to protest to that last part,but Sakura cut them off as she added to her statement,

"Don't worry,I can take care of myself.Mercenaries never go down easy,no matter what happens to them."

And with that,she kicked in the Celeste Wolf's boosters and headed straight into the Zoid hangar of the base,Bit and Sombra able to do nothing but what Sakura had told them as she rushed in full force,Strike Prism Claw glowing bright and powerful as she hacked down a couple of Neo Imperial Zoids on the way.

Sakura then brought her Zoid to a stop and put it on Auto Pilot,making sure her 357 Magnum was fully loaded and that she had plenty of extra rounds with her.She then looked down to some Stromtroopers below,realizing she could'nt go along the ground,and so looked up at the steel rafters above.Sakura smirks,crouching down in the cockpit before pushing herself into a high and powerful jump,grabbing one of the rafters and swinging herself onto it as the Troopers fired at her from below,Sakura narrowly missing being shot.

"Yeah,that's right,go ahead and try to stop me..."

She muttered as she swiftly started making her way across the rafter and to the wall where an air vent was.She kicked in the grate and removed it,crawling into the duct.

"But there's no way I'm giving up until Van is safe..."

In the meantime,Malice was still trying to wear me down by using the Force and I was still struggling against her,groaning in pain now and then as I laid there in a curled-up position on the floor.She growled slightly as she watched me,narrowing her eyes behind her breath mask.

"Why do you continue to resist,Flyheight?"

She seethed.

"Why don't you just give up and end all your pain and suffering?"

I grunted and replied through cleched teeth,

"Because...if I let you have this power...you'll only use it to hurt and kill people...you'll only use it...to destroy families...like you did to Sakura...you took everything from her...she was alone for years,thinking she was cursed...that it was her fault her parents had died...but it was all your fault...you and your Empire...and I...won't let you do it ever again!"

As I spoke,my determination grew with each word,as well as the bright,prismatic glow of my crystal.Malice was surprised for once and took a step back,her grip on me releasing as she did so.I breathed heavily as the pain lifted and slowly stood,glaring directly at her as I stood straight,the crystals light flooding me with a healing warmth.

"I won't let anyone else experience the pain that Sakura has because of you..."

I then closed my eyes,letting the crystal's full power flow into me,the back of my shirt ripping as my wings spread themselves fully out.The power surged through my body almost painfully,but still under my control.I KNEW I could control it.This power was MINE.

Malice growled and narrowed her eyes at my glowing form,then drawing out her lightsabre and immediately turning on the dark,purple blade.

"Don't think that a little light show is going to scare me,Flyheight!"

She barked through her breath mask.I opened my eyes,which were now a crystal blue color,and looked to her emotionlessly,my clothes turning an angel white as I held out my hand and focused my thought into it.Within a second,a double-edged sword made completely of crystal appeared in it:The same crystaline sword that Sakura's Mother had used to defeat Ryota in the dreamworld before.

"I'm going to give you a lot more than a 'light show' to be scared of,Malice."

I told her smoothly,both of us staring each other down a moment before running in at one another,our blades clashing with sparks and prismatic light rays.We then broke from our blade lock quickly and went in at each other again,swinging our blades swiftly.But we were getting nowhere fast,as we were evenly matched,and neither of us were landing any hits.But I was determined to win...I was determined to defeat Malice once and for all.

This went on for a good while.I lost all sense of time,just continuing to try and do Malice in as she tried to do the same to me,my body starting to wear down and sweat profusely.I was figuring Malice was facing the same fatigue,or at least hoping it.She seemed to be,anyway.I breathed heavily,relying completely on my new power from the Crystal now as I continued to do battle with Malice,our blades continuing to clash time after time.

Then,I finally landed a hit on her side,making a pretty deep cut there as well as making her yell in pain.She brought her lightsabre around in defense though and slammed it into my shoulder.I let out my own yell of pain and managed to get away before her searing-hot blade did too much damage.I did'nt stay away though,going in at her again without hesitation,swinging my blade hard and fast.

She leapt back just in time to evade,but faultered a little because of her wound.I saw that as my chance and went in one last time,raising my sword and bringing it right down on her while she could'nt move.She had no time whatsoever to evade as quickly as I had moved and ended up taking the hit directly,my eyes closed so that I would'nt see her take the fatal hit.My eyes closed so I could'nt see myself killing someone...

I heard her frightened scream as the blade made it's damaged,and soon the sound faded,leaving me there in silence...

"She's dead..."

I whispered to myself,turning my head away and opening my eyes with a sigh of relief,the sword disappearing from my hand as my clothes and eyes went back to normal.

"I finally stopped her evil reign..."

That's when I heard alarms starting to go off all around me,and I knew I had to get out of here.I looked to the now open door of my cell quickly and did'nt hesitate to make my way out of it,leaving Malice's lifeless body behind me...

The base was literally swarming with Stormtroopers,making it hard for me to move about without getting caught.I wished that I could have stayed in that super form or whatever it was I was in before,then I could get through here easier.But I was'nt in that form now,and had no idea how to get back into it,if I even had the energy that is,so I'd have to make do with my normal form.

I snuck stealthily through the base for a long while,it being a wonder that I did'nt get busted.But hey,you would'nt have heard me complaining about it.I then came across an air vent in the wall,smiling to myself and figuring I could get out easy that way as I reached down to take off the grate.

But before I could,it fell off suddenly as someone on the other side kicked it with there combat boot.I sweatdropped and stood back,wondering what the heck was going on until Sakura came crawling out of the duct,covered in dust and dirt from being in such a place.I blinked a time or two.

"Sakura?"

She looks up at me,a lock of her now messy blonde hair falling in her aqua eyes.

"Van!Glad I found you!"

She exclaimed,standing quickly.She then noticed my shoulder right off and gasped,

"Oh man,you're hurt!What happened?!"

I quickly shushed her and put my hands over her mouth.

"SSSHHH!!Be quiet!"

I whispered forcefully,Sakura nodding a little and feeling totally stupid that her of all people would be like that in a time like this.I then took my hands from her mouth and said,

"I'll tell you later.For now,Malice is dead,so let's get out of here and torch this place!"

Sakura's eyes widened when I said Malice was dead,but she then shook her head,making herself get over it as she nodded slowly.

"A-all right,let's do that then...come on,I know the way out."

She said,lowering herself down and crawling back into the air duct.I did'nt hesitate to follow her,sticiking close bhind her as I entered the ventilation shaft as well.

We crawled through this shaft for what seemed to me like hours,my shoulder throbbing with searing pain as I continued to weaken from blood loss,but we pressed on,not about to give up.

Then,as we crawled through the duct works,we suddenly felt the duct shake a little,Sakura sweatdropping.

"Oh,no...they must have figured out we're in the ventilation systems!"

I sweatdropped as well,looking around.

"But...what's making the duct shake?"

Sakura started crawling forward even faster now,and I did'nt hesitate to do the same as she replied,

"It's a defense mechanism the old Galactic Empire came up with for when people try to escape or break in through the ducts!They activate a series of Flame Blasters to send a blast of fire all through the ducts and roast whoever's in them!We've gotta find a grate and get out of here,now!"

I could'nt argue with that,thinking right about now that the Neo Empire had some SERIOUSLY nasty contraptions.Sakura then came up on a grate a few seconds later,kicking it out with both feet and jumping out without hesitation.I sighed with relief and went to go out after her,then suddenly hearing the roar of flames and looking down the shaft to my left,seeing blazing fire coming straight at me!

"Van,hurry!"

Sakura called to me,and she did'nt have to tell me twice as I leapt out right away,feeling the hot flames rush just behind me,nearly burning me as I leapt away from them and landed next to Sakura,sighing with relief.

"Too close..."

I commented,Sakura nodding and looking about the room we had dropped into.It looked like a weapons cache.Sakura smirked insidiously.

"Well well well well well,what do we have here?"

She said,picking up what appeared to be a lightsabre and switching it on,an aqua-green colored blade that seemed to match her eyes emitting from the hilt with a soft hum.I watched her as she continued to smirk,then shutting the blade off and clasping it to her belt,next to her 357 Magnum.

"This might come in handy.Grab yourself a weapon and let's keep going."

I nodded and picked up a lightsabre as well,clipping it to my belt and following her.

It was then that the door to the weapon room suddenly flew open,a few Stormtroopers starting to pour in and open fire.Sakura growled and yelled,

"Van,get down!"

I did'nt hesitate to do so,both of us ducking down behind a table covered with blasters.Sakura decided to give them something to think about and drew her 357 Magnum in her right hand,taking one of the blasters in her left and firing back at the Stormtroopers from around the side of the table.Now I myself was'nt any good with a gun or blaster and I knew it,but I still wanted to help somehow and started looking around.I'd never get close enough with this lightsabre to do any damage,so I'd have to think of something else.

I then looked up above the Stormtroopers at the bright,hallogen light that hung from the ceiling,smirking to myself as I nudged Saku and pointed to it.She smirked deviously and nodded,aiming the Magnum up and firing two well-aimed shots that easily snapped the light's suspension cords.The Stormtroopers had no idea whatsoever what had hit them as it came crashing down on them with a show of sparks,Sakura standing.

"Come on,let's get back out to the Celeste Wolf!"

She cried as I stood up next to her.Needless to say I had no objections to this as I nodded,following after her as she ran out of the room with her Magnum at the ready.

We went in an all out run through the base now,a few Stormtroopers trying to stop us along the way,but they all either got shot down by Sakura or cut down by me as I wielded the Lightsabre,the weapon feeling very comfortable and easy to use in my hands.

Going like this,it was'nt long before we made it to the hangar,where the Celeste Wolf had already taken down all the Zoids there and was sitting like an obedient puppy while it waited for us.Sakura smiled when she saw her Zoid and we quickly went to it as it lowered it's head,opening the cockpit so we could hop in,which we did without hesitation and strapped in.Sakura took the controls and deactivated the auto pilot.

"You're a good Zoid,Celeste Wolf."

She said with a smile,the Zoid giving a howl in reply as Sakura turned it around,starting to pilot it out of the hangar.

That's when the base suddenly shook violently,nearly throwing the Celeste Wolf off it's feet as Sakura struggled to keep it standing.I hung on for dear life in the back seat,wondering what the heck was going on as Sakura managed to take the Celeste Wolf into a run again.

"Sombra and Bit must've had no other choice and hit the thermal generator!We gotta get out of her NOW!"

She yelled,bringing her Zoid forward as fast as it would go,which was sickeningly fast for me as I hung on tight,closing my eyes as the base started to blow furiously around us,flames threatening to burn us all to a crisp as we shot forward,the Celeste Wolf letting out a howl of pain from the envoloping heat as it finally burst out of the hangar,barely escaping the explosions that ensued.

Sakura pulled the Celeste Wolf to a stop a few second later once we were at a safe distance from the base and sighed with relief,leaning back in her seat.I slowly opened my eyes and looked up at the burning base,sighing with relief as well and smiling slightly.

"We...did it!And we're alive!"

Sakura nodded in agreement and said,

"Yeah..."

I looked around the seat at her as she smiled,looking close to tears as she watched the base burn.I could tell she was the happiest person in the world right now...

It was then that Bit and Sombra pulled up in their Zoids,both of them opening links to us in the Celeste Wolf.

"Sakura,are you okay?!"

Bit asked in concern as Sombra asked,

"Did you find Van?"

Sakura closed her eyes,still smiling as she nodded and replied,

"Yeah,we're both here and both okay...well,Van has an injury on his shoulder,but otherwise,we're all right."

Bit and Sombra both sighed with relief,all of us taking a silent moment of thankfulness for Darth Malice's passing.

But I then suddenly felt fear stab into my heart for some reason,feeling that this was'nt over as I looked back to the base,something erupting from the flames,and something big,making the ground shake like an earthquake.Everyone let out a surprised sound and looked to whatever this was,Sakura growling.

"What the heck..."

That's when we saw it:Walking from the flames was a huge,silver Dragon type Zoid.It was even bigger than the Death Saurer,and the metal it was made from could easily blind someone if turned right in the light.We all stared in awe at it a moment,Sakura then narrowing her eyes.

"So they finally finished it..."

Sombra,Bit and I looked at Sakura in confusion,Bit then asking,

"Finished what?Sakura,you know what that thing is?"

Sakura nodded and made her reply,

"Yes,it was a project of the olf Galactic Empire that I thought was destroyed,but the Neo Empire must have picked up the pieces from it and tried it again.This must be the Doomsday Dragon Project..."

"D-doomsday Dragon...?"

Bit sweatdropped,Sakura growling as she watched the Zoid roar and unleash a shield that expanded from a ruby power cell on it's back,the shield's bright red energy destrying anyting it touched,turning even the sand into glass from the blast of heat and energy.

"So how the heack do we beat it?!"

Sombra asked as we watched it's destructive rampage.Sakura never took her eyes off the Zoid as she told Sombra,

"Don't worry,we'll think of something.We've come to far to just quit now."

Sombra,Bit and I nodded,all of us continuing to watch the Doomsday Dragon's destructive rampage.We were smack in the middle of nowhere right now,so the dragon was'nt harming anything but sand and such,but soon it would reach a city and start some real destruction.We had to stop it before that happened.

Sakura watched the Doomsday Dragon especially closely,looking down at the sand turning into glass below it.She then seemed to have an idea and turned to Sombra and Bit.

"You guys try and keep it's attention!I think I know how to defeat it!"

She yelled,starting a run towards the Doomsday Dragon.Bit started to tell her to stop and to come back,worried for the only family he had,but he then thought and understood Sakura's need to do this as he called to her,

"Be careful,Sis!"

"I will,Bro!"

She called back,continuing to head in at the Dragon as Sombra looked to Bit on the comlink.She could have sworn she saw him tear up a little as he watches Sakura.

"You okay,Bit?"

She asked,Bit nodding as came his reply,

"Y-yeah...I just hope my little sister will be okay..."

He whispered,then looking back to Sombra and adding,

"Anyway,she asked for a distraction,let's hurry and give her one."

Sombra nodded slowly and brought her Shadow Fox into a run alongside the Liger Zero as they tried to get the Doomsday Dragon's attention.

In the meantime,Sakura and I were dangerously close to the Doomsday Dragon's shield,Sakura looking down and sighing.

"Lord help us..."

She whispered as I looked at her from the back seat and asked,

"Sakura,just what are you gonna do?"

She did'nt look back at me as she replied,

"You'll see,but the Celeste Wolf is going to need a good burst of extra power.I hate to ask you and you being injured,but could you handle that?"

I nodded in agreement.

"Sure,Sakura.I'm on it.I can't merge injured like this I don't think,but I can still give the Celeste Wolf some energy."

I then took the crystal pendant from around me neck,holding it in between hands as I put them together in sort of a praying position,closing my eyes and starting to let my energy;combined with the energy from the crystal;flow into the Celeste Wolf.

"Thanks Van.All right,let's do this thing!"

Sakura yelled,the Celeste Wolf giving a howl as she activated the Strike Prism Claw,the Zoid's crystalline claws glowing with a prismatic,rainbow light as Sakura started to dig them into the sand quickly and furiously.It was soon apparent to me that she was digging a tunnel under the shield,and I then got it.The shield WOULD be weakest underground if there at all,and so she was going underground to get inside the shield!

But then there would'nt be much room to fight inside of the shield,and if we hit that shield it would do major damage,but I guessed Sakura was willing to take this risk.She had never turned down a life-threatening stunt before,and I had never turned down accompanying her in the midst of doing it,so I guess I should'nt have been surprised.I actually found myself smiling slightly as Sakura continued to tunnel towards the enemy as hard and fast as the Celeste Wolf would go.

Pretty soon,Sakura checked her radars and smirked,starting to dig upward.She hits a thick layer of glass and growls,the Strike Prism Claw not able to break through it quickly,and so Sakura fired a couple of shota at it from the Laser Vulcan Gun.The glass shattered on impact with this and she brought the Celeste Wolf into an upward leap from the tunnel,landing it right in front of the Doomsday Dragon.It towered at least 100 feet above us as Sakura commented,

"That Ruby Power Cell on it's back is like it's battery.If we can take that out,it takes the whole Zoid out."

I nodded,looking up at the Doomsday Dragon,but still keeping my concentration on giving the Celeste Wolf more energy.Sakura then smirked,but I could sense she was worried that she would'nt be able to do this.

"You can do it,Sakura.If anyone can do it,it's you."

Sakura smiled slightly at my reassurance and said,

"Thanks Van.You're too good."

She then gripped the controls hard,the Doomsday Dragon not noticing us for Bit and Sombra's distraction,so it had'nt attacked us yet.She brought the Celeste Wolf into an all-out run,kicking in the boosters and going it full throttle as she brought it around behind the Zoid,leaping up and onto it's long,slender,swaying tail skillfully.She smirked when she made the move and started running along up the tail and then the back,heading to the Power Cell as it pulsated with a soft,red light and a heartbeat-like rhythm.

The Doomsday Dragon seemed to notice her clawing up it's back though and gave a roar,bucking back and throwing us off.The Celeste Wolf nearly hit the shield,but Sakura managed to twist it around in mid-air and got it to fall straight.But the Dragon knew we were there now and roared down at us,trying to make a slash with it's massive claws.Sakura yelped and jerked the controls to the left,barely getting the Celeste Wolf out of the way in time.She sighed.

"Great...NOW how are we supposed to get to that Power Cell?"

She asked,talking more to herself than anyone.I had no idea how to answer the question though as Sakura worked furiously at evading the Doomsday Dragon's attacks.I looked down,feeling so useless...

I then had an idea...if I had changed the War Wolf into the Celeste Wolf before,could'nt I change the Zoid again now?Well,I thought it would be a good idea to try,but I did'nt have the energy to combine with the Celeste Wolf now...did I?I did'nt think I did...but did I REALLY have to be in the Zoid Core for the Celeste Wolf to use my energy to transform?Well,I had to do something,or we were all gonna get killed by this Doomsday Dragon,and I knew it.

I closed my hands tighter around the crystal and closed my eyes,concentrating hard as Sakura moved the Zoid from left to right,forward and backward,to and fro to evade the Dragon's attacks.I held my breath and continued to concentrate,suddenly feeling the familiar presence of Sakura's Mother as she softly laid her hands on my shoulders,and I could then feel her energy flowing into me.I smiled and continued to concentrate,silently thanking her for her help though and thanking the Lord she was there to help me.That's when the control panels started to glow all around,Sakura almost backing into her seat and away from them.

"Wha-what's going on?Van,are you doing that?"

She asked,but I could'nt answer lest I lose my concentration,the entire Zoid then starting to glow with the bright,purest white light,the energy emitting from the control panels softly blowing Sakura's long,blonde hair some as she watched in awe,my own clothes once more becoming a pure white as my wings emitted,the stripe on my face becoming a golden color as did my eyes,the glow then finally fading as the Doomsday Dragon only watched in curiosity.

Once the light faded,the Celeste Wolf had taken yet another new form:A Wolf type with the purest white armor,the claws,teeth and weapons seemingly made purely of gold as a pair of metallic,golden Angel wings lifted themselves from the Zoid's back.I slowly opened my eyes as the Zoid gave a might howl that shook the ground,the Dragon seemingly intimidated slightly by this as I smiled at my accomplishment.Sakura just sat there a second in awe at the new Zoid,then looking back to me speechless.I just smiled to her and said,

"Let's do this now,Sakura.I know you'll do well piloting the Seraphic Wolf."

Sakura smiled back to me warmly and nodded,turning her attention back to the Doomsday Dragon as she took the new controls.

"Let's put you back where you came from!"

She yelled,the Seraphic Wolf giving another mighty howl as Sakura brought it into it's first flight.The Doomsday Dragon roared and made a slash at it,but the Wolf was much faster flying than on the ground,seemingly only a blur as it soared about the enemy on Sakura's commands.The Doomsday Dragon never landed a hit.

Sakura then decided it was time to end this,bringing the Seraphic wolf right up to the top of the Dragon's shield on it's golden wings,then coming down behind the Doomsday Dragon at top speed and shooting right into the Ruby Power Cell on it's back,going through it like a hot knife through butter and coming out it's chest as it gave a pained,squealing roar if you can hear that in your mind.

The shield then faded down,Sakura landing the Seraphic Wolf down and sighing with relief as the Doomsday Dragon finally fell to the side,lifeless as it's Power Cell gave a final couple of sparks before going out completely...

"We did it..."

She whispered,smiling widely.

"WE DID IT!"

She yelled,jumping into the back seat and hugging me tightly.I smiled and hugged her back softly,kissing her cheek in a gentle way as I reverted back to my normal form,the Seraphic Wolf giving a roar of victory before it's form faded back to that of the Celeste Wolf.Bit and Sombra came up about now and pulled their Zoids to a stop,jumping down and out as Sakura and I did the same,Bit hugging Sakura right off and thanking the Lord she was all right.

I smiled as I watched the two.Brother and Sister,finally back together,and in peace now that the Neo Empire was gone.Since Malice was dead,the rest of the Neo Empire would automatically crumble.Sombra smiled as she watched them as well,then looked to me and said,

"So,what should we do now?"

I smiled to her and said,

"Well,now Sakura and I get married..."

I told her simply,her jaw dropping as I only smirked in response,then going to Sakura and hugging her tightly.She hugged me back just as tightly and then pulled back,both of us just straing into each others' eyes a moment in the light of the setting sun,the stars starting to come out above as we slowly leaned in at one another,our lips soon touching softly in a passionate kiss.Bi and Sombra just smiled as they watched us,standing back as Sakura and I continued to kiss,never wanting it to end.

It was then that a new star suddenly appeared in the sky just above us,and I suddenly felt myself being slowly lifted from the ground.I blinked in surprise and looked about as the unseen force continued to pull me up.I gasped when I realized what was happening and tried to grip Sakura's hand,her trying to do the same,but we were just out of reach.

"Van!What's happening?!"

She cried,still trying to reach me without success as I looked back to her sadly,knowing there was no way to stop this.

"I'm sorry,Sakura...but I think I'm supposed to go back where I came from now...I love you,and take care of yourself..."

I watched helplessly as tears streamed freely from Sakura's aqua eyes and down her soft cheeks as she cried out to me,

"No!Van,please don't leave me!Not after all this!Please!Van,I need you!"

I let tears stream down my own cheeks,hating to see her like this as I watched her,softly waving to her as I replied,

"I'm sorry,Sakura...but don't worry...as long as we remember each other,we'll always be together,and I'll never forget you...never...I love you too much..."

Sakura seemed speechless now,just staring at me as I continued to be lifted up,knowing the pain she was feeling right now.I knew she must feel like she was losing another family member...

"I'm sorry,Sakura..."

I whispered as I finally disappeared into the sky,Sakura staring up a few more minutes before breaking down into sobs,feeling as though her entire world had just come apart again...

It seemed like only moments later to me that I was softly set down in the sand near the campsite just as I had left it,Fiona,Moonbay,Irvine and Zeke all still peacefully asleep.I was right back where I was at the exact time I had left to Sakura's time...

I sighed softly as I looked around.I could'nt say I was'nt glad to see my friends again,but...it already hurt so much that I was'nt with Sakura any longer...I already missed her so much.

"Sakura..."

I whispered,looking up at the sky and falling to my knees,starting to cry softly as I sat there in the sand.I cried there for a good while,finally sniffling and whiping my eyes,trying to calm myself as I looked back up at the stars,something inside suddenly telling me that I had'nt seen the last of Sakura...

THE END

Geez,I know it took me forever to finish this chapter,but I had to kinda get in the mood and THEN I had to make sure every single detail was absolutely perfect!except for maybe some spelling errors...lol.

Anyway,I hope you guys have enjoyed this fanfiction!It was so much fun writing it,and now I'm sad it's over...but well,I'm glad so many of you seemed to like it!Thanks so much for all your support everyone!I totally appreciated it!Thankyou so very much!
 


Van and the Mercenary by Sakura This is the end...................of this fanfic not the world.
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com