Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Before I Was Fire Cat, Before the Blitz Team

By Chibi Reli, chibireli@yahoo.com
Home page http://www.geocities.com/chibireli/

Chapter 5:

Fate


This fanfic is a prequal of Zoids Chapter 2. We see how Ami became FireCat and how she got Rapidfire. The discovery of Rapidfire and the birth of the FireCat are what happen here.  Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Disclaimer: Chibi Reli does not own Zoids, but did create the original characters who are not from the TV show.


You all know my story about joining the Blitz team, meeting Bit, finding out Rapidfire is an Ultimate-X, the battles, and the championships. But you may not know the whole story, the story of my life before the Blitz Team, so I’m here to tell you that.

The story of my life is a very complicated one. I started out as a child with an older brother and two parents. Then my parents died. Then it was just me and my brother. Instead of telling plain out in a few sentences what happened, I think it’s important for me to tell you the whole story, so that you can understand who I am.

My name is Ami Kamiya, better known as the great Fire Cat. I didn’t give myself this name as other warriors have given themselves named. No. I was given the honor of this name which I hold very dear to my heart, for it is who I am. I will tell you how I came to have this name too.

You now know how I discovered Rapidfire, or how she discovered me. And you know the story of how I lost my partner and my brother. You've also learned of how I have made this small village my home. Rapidfire and I have been well taken care of and are enjoying ourselves here, that is until new Zoid warriors kept coming to the village challenging and not to risk the village, I have accepted them all.

They all seemed like the old fights I had in the past. There was one battle though that changed everything for me. One battle that gave me the courage to live my life. One battle that gave me the name many know by me now.

            “Strike Laser Claw!” A shout a heard from the red Zoid as she comes down in one graceful movement, slicing an enemy Zoid and sending it to a long rest.

            “Miss Ami beat another warrior. Yay!” One of the children shout as they watch Rapidfire and Ami head back towards the village.

            “I want to be a great Zoid warrior one day!” shouts another one.

            “If only I could be as happy as those kids are.”


            “Another great fight Miss Ami,” a man says as a group watch her walk down the street.

            “Thanks guys.” She waves to them and soon turns into a small stall to see Kento drinking some tea. She takes a seat next to him and props her head on her hand.

            “You don’t seem very happy Miss Ami.”

            “I came here to get away from the battles and now warriors seem to be coming from everywhere. I just wish they would stop.” She takes a glass of water offered to her by the counterman and drinks it.

            “Maybe you shouldn’t try to evade the opponents. Maybe it’s a sign to say that you were meant to be warrior. You don’t even practice and still you’re able to beat everyone.”

            “I don’t know if I can. What if I meet him again and what if I get someone hurt? I just don’t think I can stand it if it ever happened again.”

            “But you’re much more careful now, more experienced. You need to get over your fears also. If you don’t, you may never be able to live a full life, the one you were meant to live.”

            “I wish it was only easy though.” She looks into her glass and sighs.


            “Hey you, Ami Kamiya lives in this village right?” a young man asks one of the villagers.

            “Yes. Miss Ami lives at the temple in the center of town.”

            “Thanks a lot.” He waves him off and turns towards the direction the man pointed in.


            “Ami Kamiya! I challenge you to a Zoid battle right now!” the young man screams as he stands by the door of the temple. Ami gets up from her stop on the floor and opens the door to see the white haired and blue eyed man.

            “I’m sorry. But I don’t want to battle anymore.”

            “I see. Then you’re nothing but a coward. And to think that you were once part of the great Fire Team. Then again, if my brother was able to defeat you so easily, you’re team mustn’t have been so great.”

            “You’re brother?” This peaked her interest.

            “Yes. My brother was Pierce, the one who defeated you. My name is James. So now, do you wish to challenge me or are you going to refuse because you know you’re just as weak as your brother?” he asks, a smug expression crossing his face.

            “My brother was not weak. I’ll show just how strong the Fire Team really is. I accept your challenge James.”

            “Good. Then meet me between this village and the mountains north of here in three hours.”

            “Fine.” She turns back into the temple to see Kento standing a few feet away.

            “Are you sure about this Miss Ami?”

            “You’re right. I need to learn to get over my fears and this might just help me. And no one insults my family.” She heads to her room and closes the door, getting ready for her next fight.


            “Go Miss Ami! You can beat this guy!” one man shouts as a group of townspeople gather on the edge. They look on in suspense as they see their hero face off against three sand stingrays.

            “No one is better than you.”

            “You should really tell them you’re wrong Miss Ami. You really aren’t the strongest,” James says, giving his men the sign to get ready.

            “We’ll just see.”

            “Now, would you rather fight against all of us, or just I?”

            “I’ll take you all on and show you Rapidfire’s real power.”

            “Alright then. Then I’ll signal the commission to send down a judge.”

            “A judge? As in the Zoids battle commission judges?” she asks surprised that she would actually participate in a proper fight.

            “Of course. We do want this to be a fair fight, but we’re going to have to move.”

            “Alright.”


            “Mister Kento, can we follow them so we can see the battle?”

            “No one can go within a certain radius during the battle. But since there is a judge, we should be able to see it on television. But we must hurry.” Everyone turns and runs into town, hoping not to miss a minute of it.


            “This is the place. Ready?”

            “Ready.” She takes her position, hands shaking just a bit. “Am I actually nervous?”

            “The area within a 20 mile radius is a designated Zoid battle field. The Shining Team versus Rapidfire. Battlefield 0999. Ready? Fight!”

            “Here we go.” Ami makes the first move by charging after the opponents, only for them to slide away quickly. “They’re quicker than I thought.”

            “Surprised? These aren’t your normal sand stingrays. So you’re just going to have to be a bit more cunning, if you can.” Ami continues her chase of them, but they all seem to fast and produce a could around so she can’t get a clear enough shot.

            “There are way too many and they’re too fast what am I going to do?” Suddenly, Rapidfire shakes as the enemy decide to take the offensive, hitting her multiple times, She soon stops and starts bucking and sprinting like a horse being cornered.

            “This can’t be happening. I can’t actually lose. I’m so sorry Kikeru. I wasn’t able to defend our honor.”

            “Ami? Ami?”

            “Who’s there? Kikeru?” She looks around, but sees no one.

            “You just can’t give up now little sis. There is so much in life and in battling that you have to see and feel.”

            “I don’t think I can fight.”

            “Look outside Ami. The sun is setting. Remember all the times we watched the sun together?”

            “Every sunset.” She looks out at the horizon and sees the red and oranges and purples she once enjoyed with her brother every night.

            “Everyday I tried to do something great so that when the sun set, I could say I accomplished something that day. Today is your day you accomplish something big. Don’t ever give up. And don’t forget, I’m with you all the time. Especially when you’re battling. We’re the great Fire Team. We were envied by every other team out there. And even today, after that day, warriors from all over come to challenge us because they still know we are the best team out there.”

            “You’re right Kikeru. We are the best out there.” She starts to feel herself gaining more confidence, a new passion within her growing as she straightens up on the seat and takes a better grip on the controls.

            “I will always be with you Ami.”

            “And together we will be able to defeat any foe that come against us. I won’t let our dream of becoming the best warriors die Kikeru.” Rapidfire roars in agreement and shakes off the shots.

            “Are you giving up so easily Kamiya?” James says.

            “No way. I’ll defeat you all right now and make sure that the dream that my brother and I share will come true, starting with you. Let’s do it Rapidfire!” Rapidfire roars again and takes off, this time with a fiery aurora around her. With the new power she goes after each of the stingrays, concentrating on one while dodging the shots from the others. With a few jumps, swipes and shots, she takes down two, the last one standing is James.

            “You better tell you’re brother never to mess around with the great Fire Team.” Rapidfire jets up again at new speeds and slices down the last one in one mighty blow.

            “The battle is over. The battle is over. The winner is Rapidfire.”

            “We did it Kikeru. And it wouldn’t have happened without Rapidfire. You’re the best.” I didn’t know exactly where that voice came from. I really like think to believe that it was Kikeru talking to me from beyond, but it’s so hard to imagine something like that would happen, especially to a Zoid warrior like myself. All I know is that it was just the thing that I needed to find the fire within my soul that I needed to find myself.


            Ami walks into the temple to see a huge group of people standing by the gates. “Miss Ami! We saw the whole thing.”

            “At first it looked like you were going to lose.”

            “And then all of a sudden you came out of nowhere and…”

            “Then there was running and shooting and strike laser claw.”

            “And then the judge was like you won.” All the children start rambling on until Kento makes his way up front and looks at the young fighter.

            "That was one of the most spectacular battles I have ever seen. You really are the great Fire Cat.”

            "Fire Cat?" she asks confused.

            "Yes, Fire Cat.  For you have the skills and cunningness of a cat along with your strong spirit that seems to set everything ablaze like fire. Every great Zoid warrior deserves a great name.”

            “Fire Cat sounds great Miss Ami.”

            “Alright. Fire Cat it is,” she says, nodding her head once in agreement.


            “Are you sure you want to go Fire Cat?”

            “You can stay right here with us.” The townspeople gather as Ami stands on top of Rapidfire, getting ready to make her entrance in.

            “I would like to, but I can’t. I have a promise to keep to my brother. I have to do whatever I can do become a great Zoid warrior. But I want to thank you for everything you have done. If it wasn’t for you all, I wouldn’t have been able to conquer my fears and find what I really want in life. I will never forget all of you and I promise to come back when I’m a famous warrior,” she speaks, wiping the unshed tears from her eyes.

            “You better and we’ll always be your biggest fans.”

            “Visit us soon.”

            “We wish you all the luck in the future Fire Cat.”

            “Thank you.” She finally steps into Rapidfire and makes her way out, looking back once more when she’s far enough to see the whole town.

            And that is the end of my story. The story of how I discovered Rapidfire, or how she discovered me. The story of how I lost my partner and my brother. The story of how I have made this small village my home for so long. And the story of how I got the name Fire Cat.

             As I continue my journey to become the most powerful Zoid warrior, I switched from team to team, teaming up with who ever would pay me. But after years of switching, I soon wished to have a team of mine own. And I think that you all know how that part goes.

            Ami walks down the street when suddenly a piece of paper flies into her face. She takes it off and reads it quickly, then looks ahead to see a blond haired man walking around with a stack of paper, papers flying onto the ground. "Why am I the one who always has to do things like this? I'm the best warrior on the Blitz Team .I shouldn't have to put up the fliers," Ami hears the man say as he approaches him.

            "Hey you! Didn't anyone teach you not to litter?" The blond man turns around to see Ami in her jeans with a short tight red tank top. She also has her long red tail that moves and her pair of red cat ears. The man just stares at her.

            “He’s probably freaked out by the ears and tail.”

            "Hello?" Ami waves the fliers in front of him. He suddenly wakes up out of his stupor and looks at her. He starts to blush, rubbing the back of his head.

            "Sorry about that. I zone out sometimes."

            "No problem," she says giving him a huge smile. "So, you're looking for a new Zoid Warrior for the Blitz team? I've heard a lot of great things about them, especially that Liger Zero and its pilot."

            "Yeah? Well, you talking to him right now," he says pointing to himself with pride.

            "So, you're Bit Cloud? It's nice to meet you." Ami puts the fliers back on his stack, except the one she read before.

            "It's nice to meet you too, um…"

            "Ami."

            "So, are you a warrior?"

            "Sure am."

            "Then you should come by and apply. You'd be joining one of the best teams there are."

            "Alright, I'll try. Well, I gotta go. See ya." She turns around and runs away.

            It’s amazing how fate works.



Before I was Fire Cat, Before the Blitz Team This story is complete.


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c