Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Before I Was Fire Cat, Before the Blitz Team

By Chibi Reli, chibireli@yahoo.com
Home page http://www.geocities.com/chibireli/

Chapter 2:

Death



This fanfic is a prequal of Zoids Chapter 2. We see how Ami became FireCat and how she got Rapidfire. The discovery of Rapidfire and the birth of the FireCat are what happen here.  Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Disclaimer: Chibi Reli does not own Zoids, but did create the original characters who are not from the TV show.



            You all know my story about joining the Blitz team, meeting Bit, finding out Rapidfire is an Ultimate-X, the battles, and the championships. But you may not know the whole story, the story of my life before the Blitz Team, so I’m here to tell you that.

The story of my life is a very complicated one. I started out as a child with an older brother and two parents. Then my parents died. Then it was just me and my brother. Instead of telling plain out in a few sentences what happened, I think it’s important for me to tell you the whole story, so that you can understand who I am.

My name is Ami Kamiya, better known as the great Fire Cat. I didn’t give myself this name as other warriors have given themselves named. No. I was given the honor of this name which I hold very dear to my heart, for it is who I am. I will tell you how I came to have this name too.

You now know how I discovered Rapidfire, or how she discovered me. It’s been four years since that day. I am now seventeen. My brother and I have been an unbeatable team, easily taking down each team and bringing ourselves higher in the ranking. Everything seemed smooth sailing, until that day. The day of the first and only battle I would ever lose. But on that, I would also lose more than a battle. And that ladies and gentlemen is where the story begins.


“I can’t wait until our next battle. Who ever it is will wish he never got paired against us,” a more mature Ami says as she works on tuning up Rapidfire.

“Remember Ami, don’t get too cocky,” Kikeru responds, sitting on Rapid fire’s paw.

“I know. I’m just excited. So who are we up against?” She holds out her hand from the cockpit.

”The Slasher Team.” Kikeru takes a wrench and throws it up into Ami’s hand.

“I’ve never heard of that team before.”

“Be careful during this battle Ami, very careful.”

“But you know I usually am.”

“Just be more careful than you usually are, okay?”

“I will, but why?” She asks, climbing down from Rapidfire and putting the tools away.

“The Slasher Team is an undefeated team like us, but may use unconventional  moves. Rumor has it that the leader, Pierce, has been cheating the whole time, but no one has been able to prove it.”

What I didn’t know until later was that there was much more between my brother and Pierce. Ever since they were little, they were always competing with one another. My brother always won though and this got Pierce really upset. Then when they were old enough, they both became registered Zoid warriors and my brother still defeated him, which got him even madder. He even went out to vow revenge on my brother for always making him look like a fool. Would he actually be able to get it?

The day of the battle came and I’d never seen Kikeru so serious about a battle. It was like this battle meant life or death to him. The battlefield looked safe enough. A normal field covered in grass, nothing out of the ordinary.

“Here they come Ami. Now remember, be careful.”

“I promise.”

“Ami, and no matter what happens, I want you to remember that I’ve enjoyed every battle we’ve had together. You truly are an amazing warrior.”

“Thanks.” Ami and Kikeru already out on the field look at the four approaching red raptors. They all stop less than a mile away, except for one who takes a few steps forward.

“Long time no see Kikeru,” says Pierce. He looks around the same age as Kikeru with black hair and black eyes.

“Same here Pierce.” Kikeru takes a step forward as well.

“And the one in the other red cat must be your sister Ami. I’ve heard she’s quite the looker.” His Raptor moving its head in Ami’s direction.

“Stay away from her Pierce. We came here to battle, didn’t we?”

“Of course. “

“The area within a fifty mile radius is a designated Zoid battlefield. Battlefield 0991. The Fire Team versus the Slasher Team. Ready? Fight!”

“I’ll get Pierce and then catch up with you Ami.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” The red Blade Liger charges towards the Raptor as the remaining three head off towards Rapidfire. “You won’t be able to catch me that easily boys.” Rapidfire turns away and runs off in the opposite direction. 


            “You’re going to wish you never met me after I’m done with you,” Pierce says, making another attempt to hit Kikeru.

“Why won’t you just let go of it? She never liked you.” He dodges and tries his luck, but nothing.

            “Yes she did. But then you got jealous and took her away from me.”

“I never did such a thing. If anyone was jealous, you were.”


            “Come on kitty. I wanna play.”

“Sorry, but I don’t date older men.” Ami says as she attacks one of the three Raptors, bringing it down and looking at the two remaining ones. “I must say though I didn’t give you guys enough credit as warriors. But that doesn’t mean I still can’t defeat you.” She starts to charge before getting distracted by huge beams.

            “What in the world was that you little freaks?” Ami shouts dodging another beam.

“Our secret weapon. Now try to defeat us.”


            “Oh no. Did something happen to your little sis? I hope she’s alright.”

“You’ll pay for that.” Kikeru gains speed and knocks the Raptor over only for a second before getting back up


            “Stupid lasers make things so much more complicated!” Ami charges towards the last Raptor and barely misses another laser, but is able to strike it down. “Now to help Kikeru.”


            “Hey brother, I’m on my way there.”

“Good.”  He looks towards Pierce and smiles. “It looks like you’ll be getting your first lose.”

“I hope you left something for me Kikeru,” as Ami approaches next to the Blade Liger. But instead of looking scared, Pierce gives another smirk, one covering his whole face.

“And what’s so funny?”

“You better get out of here if you want to live.”

“I think we should be saying that to you. Ready Kikeru?”

“Sure am. I guess he wasn’t as tough as I thought he would be.” The two start the charge when a probe appears from the Raptor’s back and a light engulfs the plane, stopping the two cats.

            “Huh?” I opened my eyes as the light started to fade, only to see dozens of missiles coming straight for me. Where did it come from? All I knew was that I couldn’t move at all. And just when it looked like it was going to hit me, a shadow appeared in front of me and everything went black.


I was dreaming. About my mom and dad and how they died. I was never there when they died, but I remember people telling me about it. I could see everything though. My parents were driving home from dinner last night in their nice blue sedan with a pink and blue ribbon on the rear view mirror. It was raining hard that night, so they had to be really careful. Suddenly, a truck comes out of nowhere and starts to slide. I try to yell at my parents to tell them to watch out, but nothing comes out. Why won’t anything come out? And before my parents knew it, the truck hit them and slammed down on them, crushing them. I was only five then.

The police came and picked me and my brother up from our babysitters and we’re brought to our grandparent’s house, the only living relatives we had. We never visited them much though. They told us how our parents died and that they would take care of us. They never did a very good job though. Kikeru did most of the caring and when he was old enough, we moved out together.

Everything was dark. I couldn’t understand it. My whole body was in pain too. I suddenly heard loud beeping. It was coming from a machine I think. I took whatever strength I had and opened my eyes. Where was I? What had happened? I look around. It looks like I’m in a hospital by the sight of white walls, machines, and the smell of disinfectant. Suddenly a man in a white coat comes in and walks towards me. He stops by my bed side and looks down at me.

“I see you’re up. How do you feel Ami?”

“My whole body hurts. What happened?”

“Don’t you remember the battle Ami?”

“The battle?” I didn’t remember any battle, but then… “The battle!” Ami tries to get up, but struggles against the pain. The doctor gets the hint and helps her sit upright. “I remember the battle. And a light. And then Kikeru. Where’s Kikeru? Is he okay?”
 
 

The doctor started to move his mouth, as if he was going to say something. But instead, he grabs my hand with both his aged ones, closes his eyes, and nods his head no. That was all I needed. I couldn’t believe it.

“We tried for hours to save your brother, but it was no use. He was too badly damaged. It took us a while to stabilize yourself. You’ve been out for two weeks.”

I couldn’t believe it. Kikeru lost his life because of my stupid mistake of not moving. He died because of me. He jumped in front of me and took most of the blast just to save me. And he knew this was going to happen.  I couldn’t hold the tears in much longer, as they soon came flooding out uncontrollably. The doctor tried to comfort me, but it was no use.


“You’ll be just fine Ami. Take care of yourself and if you feel any pain, go to the nearest hospital,” the doctor says as he watches Ami out the door.

“You’re sure that my Zoid is at the station?”

“Yes. Someone will be there waiting for you. Good luck.”

“Thank you.”

I turned around and left, walking into the taxi awaiting me. As we drove away, I dared not to look back at the hospital.

I got Rapidfire back and it took all my courage to get into her. But when I did though, I wasn’t terrified. I don’t know why. We walked all the way back to the base and it seemed that Rapidfire knew what had happened. She was quite and slow, as if she was mourning my brother’s lose as well. I guess in a way he saved her too.

All the memories at the base were too much for me. Everywhere I looked I saw my brother. So I made a decision. I put all my belongings and my brother’s into storage and sold the base to another team. I just took the things I needed and Rapidfire. The most important thing I brought was a picture of me and my brother smiling, which I put by my side in the cockpit. I decided that I would wonder around for a while. I needed to clear my head. I wanted to start a new life.

Before I left though, I had to do one more thing. Since I was out for so long, someone else already buried him for me in a nearby cemetery. I went there during the sunset and looked at his gravesite. There was nothing special. Just his name and his date of birth and death. After a few minutes of mourning, I walked back towards Rapidfire and got in, ready for the journey ahead. I would never forget the sacrifice that my brother, the only family I really ever had, had made for me.

And that was the story of my brother’s death. A death that I will never forget. One that will haunt me in my dreams, even when I grow old. There had to be someway that I could repay him for his sacrifice, but that would come later. For now, I wonder the planet, looking for a new life, for me and also for Rapidfire.



Before I was Fire Cat, Before the Blitz Team This story is complete.


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c