The Lone Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html

Chapter 2: "Sakura and Naomi vs. the Rapid Fire Team"


This is a good prequel to Van and the Mercenary, which is another of my favorites, posted here. (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: I,Sakura Courage Solo,do not own Zoids,Star Wars,or any other Television Show,Movie,Video Game,Song,Book, Comic,etc.featured in this story and I do not get paid for writing these,so don't sue!This goes for all
chapters,so I don't have to write this disclaimer over and over again.Thankyou!And enjoy!

Oh,and many thanks to my best buddy Shadowwolf for posting these for me,seeing as my computer's a baka! Shadowwolf's fics are REALLY good!



Acknowledgements: All right!I've already got great reviews for this!Way past cool!Thanks to my bestes best buddy Shadowwolf for posting these and reviewing!

To Alisa Perne,thanks!I'm glad you like it!Hope you like this chapter,too!

And to Dragon Lightning,you say this fic has potential!I hope so!Thanks! Now,on to the story!


Chapter 2: "Sakura and Naomi vs. the Rapid Fire Team"

"All right!Looking good,War Wolf!" I told my Zoid as I shot the targets of the shooting range with the 360 degree Laser Vulcan Gun mounted on the back.Each shot hit it's mark with dead-on
accuracy. "No sweat!This is easy!"

"Very good,miss Sakura."  The range manager told me.  "Now,let's see how you do on level 10."

"Bring it on!"

Several targets appeared at once,all of them made to look like various Zoids.

"Heh.This is a challenge?"  I thought to myself as I opened up two panels on either side of my Zoid,letting two Wild Weasel Units out from their concealed position.  "Weasel Unit Total Assault!"

About twenty missiles all fired at once,each hitting their targets without mishap.It was almost like clockwork.

"Outstanding.Your aim is perfect!"

"Thankyou,Sir!"

I brought the War Wolf into the hangar,then jumping down from the cockpit and running a hand through my
long,blonde hair.

"Impressive."

A voice said from nearby.

I looked over to see a young woman of about 17 walking toward me.She had long,red hair in which hair clip a
round,green gemstone hairclip.She also wore a beautiful red tank top and a pair of black pants.

"Hey,you're Naomi Fleugal!"  I speculated upon seeing her countenance.  "The Red Comet!"

"Guess I'm becoming famous."  Naomi said.  "I watched your training session just now.You're pretty good."

"Gee,thanks!"

"So,what's your name?"

"Sakura!I'm a mercenary warrior!"

"A mercenary?Well,that's a stroke of luck."

"What do you mean?"

"You know the Rapid Fire Team?"

"I've heard of 'em."

"They challenged me to a battle tomorrow in battle mode 0982,where both teams have to use the same number
of Zoids.They're using two,so..."

"You were looking to hire a mercenary?"

"You got it."

"Oh,wow!I'd be honored to battle for your team,Naomi! This will be my first job!"

"Really?"

"Yeah!"

"Well,you sure are enthusiastic.All right.How much?"

 I thought about it for a second.I had never really thought about how much I should charge.But I finally
gave my response.

"How does 5,000 sound?"

"You really are new at this,are'nt you?That's way too low."

"Never thought I'd hear someone complain about a price being too low..."

"You'll never make enough money like that.I'll pay you 15,000.How's that sound?"

My gosh!That was three times what I originally wanted to charge!But that much did sound pretty good...

"All right!You've got yourself a mercenary!"

"Great.I'll met you at the cantina around 4:00."

"I'll be there!"



I hummed my theme song happily as I walked down the sidewalk.I had only escaped the Zoid Battle Commission a couple of days before and already I had a job with a top team!

"Man,I can't believe this!"  I thought to myself.  "15,000!Wow!And with the Fleugal Team!"

I was about the happiest person in the world right at the moment as I walked into the parts dealership.I was looking for some nice ammo to reload the War Wolf's Wild Weasel Units with.I was glad I had saved up so much money as a kid.I had just enough for one, big reload.And after the battle,I'd have enough for 5!

I looked around at the shop that I had just entered. I saw a young man of about 16 up at the counter, signing a paper.I recognized his spiky,purple hair and his headband that nearly covered his eyes.

"I know you!You're Jack Cisco!" I said,coming up to him.

He turned to me and said, "Yep.That's me.And you would be?"

"Sakura Courage Solo!I just became a mercenary and was sort of hoping that you could give me some pointers!I
mean,you are one of the toughest mercenaries around!"

"All right,kid.I'll give ya a pointer.Go home."

"What?"

"A kid like you's got no business piloting a Zoid,let alone being a mercenary."

"Hey!I'm pretty good!I can pilot a Zoid just as good as anybody!And I bet I could beat you any day!"

"Really?Those are some pretty big words you're usin' there,kid."

"I'll have you know that I've already got my first job,and it's with the Fleugal Team!"

"Good luck kid.You're gonna need it."

"I have a name,and it's not 'kid'.My name is Sakura!"

"Yeah,whatever.You go on into battle and see how it is.You'll be running home with your Zoid's tail tucked
between it's legs."

"We'll win that battle against the Rapid Fire Team tomorrow and show you a thing or three!My War Wolf is
gonna blow them out of the water!"

"War Wolf?That sounds like a tough Zoid,which is a lot more than I can say for you,little girl."

"Are you lookin' to get hurt?"

"Oh,I'm shakin'."

"You ought to be!"

"All right,that's enough of that!" The parts dealer said. "Arguments are one thing,but if you wan to fight, take
it outside."

"The little runt's not worth it" Jack said,walking into the hangars. "Besides,I don't want to have to hurt her."

"Jerk!" I yelled,just before he disappeared through the door. "War Wolf and I'll show you!You just watch us in
action tomorrow!"

"Now,don't get your underwear all in a wrinkle,miss Sakura." The parts dealer continued. "He's just got a bit of an attitude."

"He's a royal pain in the butt is what he is."

"You get  used to him.Now,how can I help you?"



It was a while later that Naomi and I were sitting in the cantina,drinking some sodas and talking.

"Oh,I would'nt worry about Jack." Naomi told me after she'd heard of my encounter in the parts dealership. "He's just a little arrogant.He'll gain a little respect for you once he sees you in battle."

"If he bothers to watch." I replied,looking up at the huge television screen on the wall,where a Zoid Battle was being broadcasted.A Shield Liger,a Command Wolf and a Dibison were up against two Red Horns and a Dark Horn. "So,what's this Rapid Fire team like?"

"They're a new team,but they seem to be moving on up in the ranks unusually fast.I heard they use a Gun Blaster and a Lightning Saix."

Lightning Saix.One Zoid I didn't want to hear about. Then...

"Speak of the Devil..." Naomi said,looking over my shoulder at the door.

I followed her gaze,soon giving a growl upon seeing who it was.He began walking right toward us,
nonetheless.

"So,the kid wadidn't liein' when she said you hired here.imagine that." Jack said as he came up to us.

"Hey,Jack,don't be so hard on her." Naomi told him. "She's new at this,but she's really good."

"She's a kid."

"You did'nt see her performance at the practice range.Both Sakura and her Zoid are amazing."

"That's right.So back off,Cisco."I added,wanting nothing more at the moment than to show him whathadn't could do.

"You should be careful talkin' to me like that,kid."

"You're the one who should be careful.Big things come in little packages."

"Is that so?Well,then.Why don't you show me what you've got?Come on.I dare ya to attack me."

Naomi had'nt expected me to actually do it,but the next thing she knew,I was on Jack like white on rice!

We fought in two completely different forms ofwasn'tt. Jack attacked by use of strength,but I fought back
with speed and agility;dodging every blow Jack threw my way and getting inunconsciousits.Not powerful hits,
but in vital areas.

This went on for a few minutes until finally,I brought the heel of my unconscious hit Jack's chin in a knock out,but it was'nt as powerful as I had meant for it to be and he countered,bringing his arm around and slamming me into a wall.I was knocked nearly unconcious.

"Okay,so you're tough." Jack said as he staggered to his feet,only to slump back to the floor in an unconcious heap.

"I told ya." I said in a whisper. "Big things come in little packages."



I felt a cool cloth press to my forehead as I began to stir.It took me a minute to get my bearings and realize what had happened.

I sat straight up,looking around for Jack.

"Whoa,hold it there,cow girl."

A voice said.

I turned to see,

"Naomi!"

"You all right?You took a petty hard hit back there."

"Yeah,I'm all right."

"Hm.I knew you were a good pilot,but I did'nt know you were good at hand-to-hand combat,too."

"Well,when your past's like mine,being rough comes with the territory."

I looked around.Apparently,Naomi had brought me with her while she was traveling in her Gustav to
tomorrow's battle site.We were sitting in a campsite next to the Gustav,the seemingly endless desert
surrounding us as the stars hung high above.

"I think Jack was really asking for it."

Naomi continued.

"You push a mouse back in the corner with a broom long enough,he's gonna fight back."

"Got that right."

I agreed.

"Thank the Lord I'm still good to go into battle tomorrow after that,though.Gotta admit,Jack's one tough wafer."

"Don't you mean 'cookie'?"

"Uh,right!Cookie!That's what I meant!"

I did'nt want to admit that I was still having trouble functioning properly after the fight,being the "Little Miss Rough" that I was.

Naomi laughed,apparently thinking it was nothing more than a joke and said,

"Well,it's good to see that you're all right.Let's get something to eat and go on to sleep.The battle is at noon tomorrow and we need to be ready."

"Sounds good.I'm starving!"

Naomi poured me a bowl of soup and said,

"Careful.It's hot."

"Thanks."

I began wolfing it down right away.It was a lot better than my cooking,that was for sure!Someone once told me that I was such a bad cook the I could scorch water!Then again,they were probably right.I even have trouble microwaving Bagel Bites!You could imagine the fiasco at hand when I tried making Macaroni and Cheese.Tried.

"Anyway,"

Naomi began as we ate.

"What did you mean earlier when you said that about your past and being rough came with the territory?"

Ouch.Why had I said that?Oh,yeah.I WAS HALF ASLEEP!THAT'S WHY!Blast it.

"Well?"

She urged.

I swallowed hard and answered,

"I...I'd rather not talk about it."

Naomi looked at me.she could've sworn I was about to cry,so she decided to change the subject.

"Well,uh,what about your War Wolf?Where did you get such an amazing Zoid?"

I looked up at the War Wolf and thought to myself,

"Great.Yet another unsavory question.How am I supposed to explain that I used that Zoid to escape the Battle Commission?I'd better think up a good excuse."

I cleared my throat and replied,

"I...uh...found it out in the desert!It was abandoned,so I decided to keep it!I fixed it up and cleaned it and everything!"

"Wow.It looks good.You did a great job."

"Thanks!"

The War Wolf nudged me with his nose and growled,

"That's not what happened."

I lightly elbowed my Zoid,though knowing Naomi could'nt understand his language of growls and roars.

"Well,it's getting late."

Naomi said,looking up at the position of Zi's twin moons,hanging just above the horizon.

"We'd better get on to bed."

"Sounds good."

I agreed as the War Wolf's cockpit canopy lifted.I jumped in and sat down in the pilot's seat.

Naomi raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Uhh...where are you going?"

"To bed.Why?"

I replied nonchalantly.

"Oooookay."

Naomi managed to say,eyebrow still raised.

"'Night,Naomi."

I told her,leaning my seat back.

"Uhh,'night Sakura."

Naomi replied,going to her sleeping bag.

"I'm not even going to comment on her not using a blanket or a pillow."

She thought.



 The area within a 30 mile radius is now a designated Zoid battlefield.Only warriors and personnel have
authorized entry.Danger!All others must leave the area at once!"

The Judge said as Naomi and I walked out onto the battle field.

"Area scanned.Battlefield set up.The Rapid Fire Team versus the Fleugal Team.Battle Mode 0982.Ready,FIGHT!"

"Wait a second!Where are they?!"

I asked,not seeing any Zoids other than Naomi's Red Gun Sniper,which was perched on a nearby ledge,on the
battlefield.

"I don't see a Lightning Saix or a Gun Blaster!"

Suddenly,I felt something hit hard on the side of the War Wolf!

"Whoa!What...?!"

BOOM!

Another hit!Man,where were these guys?!

"War Wolf!Let's move it!"

I yelled,bringing my Zoid forward in order to evade fire.

"How am I supposed to snipe 'em if I can't even see 'em?"

Naomi thought to herself as her fuschia eyes searched the battlefield,only to find no sign of our enemies.

"They must have some sort of stealth shields!"

"How are we supposed to fight what we can't even see?!"

I felt another hit.Man,these guys meant business!

"We've gotta do something!Otherwise,this battle is gonna be over before it even starts!"

My eyes darted around the field.I had to think of something!I could'nt go down like this!Not in my first battle!Naomi was counting on me!

Naomi began blasting at the field below.She figured she might as well.Maybe she might hit him!

I took another hit.They apparently had'nt seen Naomi. Otherwise,they would've already been on her like white
on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm!

"Wait a sec.That's it!Come in,Naomi!"

"I copy.What's the matter,Sakura?Your Zoid freeze up?"

"No!I have a plan!Get out there where they can see you!"

"What?Why do you wnat me to do that?"

"Just trust me!"

"All right!Here goes!"

Naomi brought her red Gun Sniper into clear vision, and the fire on my Zoid suddenly ceased.I knew they had gone after Naomi,which was exactly what I wanted them to do.

I brought my War Wolf up onto a nearby rock,where I could get a good overview of the battlefield.

"Perfect."

I thought as I watched footsteps begin to appear in the sand.

"War Wolf!Now!"

I yelled as my Zoids Wild Weasel Units lifted from their concealment.I then took aim,putting my sights on an area ahead of the faster footsteps.

"All right,let's do it!WEASEL UNIT TOTAL ASSAULT!!!"

About twenty missiles all launched themselves at once,coming right down on the area I had aimed for.

A lightning Saix could soon be seen falling to the ground,system frozen.

"All right!I figured he'd run right into it if I aimed ahead 'o him instead of at him,where he'd run past the attack!Great job,War Wolf!"

"It's not over yet!"

Naomi yelled,picking up on what I had done with the Lightning Saix and watching the other quad of footprints appearing in the sand.

"Let's see ya handle this,cowboy."

She took careful aim,then firing her long range rifle at her opponent.She fired several shots to make sure she hit her mark,seeing as she could'nt see it.

A gun Blaster fell system frozen into the sand where Naomi had been firing.

"Battle Over!Battle Over!"

The Judge cried.

"The winner is...the Fleugal Team!"

"Yeah!Way to go,War Wolf!We smoked 'em!Way past cool!"

I yelled in excitement,the War Wolf giving a roar of victory.

"YES!We won our very first real battle!We rock!We're invincible!"

The Lightning Saix pilot exited his cockpit and looked at my Zoid,his partner doing the same.

"What kind of a Zoid is that?"

The Gun Blaster pilot asked.

Naomi smiled as she listened to our victory cries.

"Way to go,Sakura.You really are a great pilot.Not to mention the fact that you have a great Zoid.You'll do
well as a mercenary.I just know it."

"So,there is somethin' to that kid's piloting skills after all."

Jack Cisco thought as he watched the battle on the cantina's wall television.

"Not to mention her fighting skills."

He thought,rubbing a bruised area on his shoulder.

______________________________________________________

"Well Sakura,you did really well for your first battle."

Naomi said to me in the repair shop.

"You'll only get better.Good luck."

"Thanks,Naomi!"

I replied.

"If you ever need me for another battle,I'm ready!"

"I'll keep it in mind.So,where are you off to now?"

"I'm thinking of heading out to Starscape City.They say that's a haven for mercenaries.I figure I'll get some good jobs there!"

"Well,good luck on your trip."

"Thanks!You too!"

I waved as I began to walk out to the hangars to board my freshly repaired War Wolf.

"Hey,Sakura!"

Naomi called.

"Yeah?"

"Don't get into any more cantina fights,all right?"

"I'll try!See ya,Naomi!"

With that,I got into my Zoid and took off,thanking the Lord that I had won my first battle,and hoping that I would win many more.


Preview of next chapter:

Hey!Sakura here!

Wow!Look at all these mercenaries!Starscape really is a haven for 'em!The area around here is perfect for battles,I guess.A lot of teams come and want to hire mercenaries!

Oh no,not Jack again!Does'nt that creep ever give up? Guess I'll just have to try knocking more sense into his empty skull.But who's this guy standing up for me?Brad,huh?Cool,thanks!

Wait a second!A team that wants to hire two mercenaries!I'm in!Hey,they hired Brad,too!Way past cool!I wanted to see the famous Brad Hunter in and his Command Wolf in action!

Next time on "The Lone Mercenary",

"Here Comes Brad:Sakura's New Friend"

See ya on the battlefield!


Well,what did you guys think of this chapter?I know, the fight scenes could have been better,but I'm trying!

Let me know how you guys liked this!Post a review or E-mail me. I love reviews and mail!I'd love to hear from any loyal fans I have!See ya!
                               -Sakura Courage Solo



The Lone Mercenary


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com