Reign of Chaos

Part 2 of Trilogy, part 1 = New Age, part 3 = Tides of Darkness

By Sh33p, CultofSh33p@aol.com

Chapter 2

Prayer


The great sequel of New Age. It'll knock your socks off. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sh33p Disclaimer: I don`t own Zoids. Consider this disclaimer valid for the whole damn story :P 


Foreword: Listen to Disturbed - Prayer while reading this. 


An explosion of high speed blades literally plowing through a wall in a vain attempt to strike a rapidly moving target. Specular was still completely unresponsive, the Fury itself appeared sluggish to him, but only because Vega was fighting at a level that the systems were hard pressed to respond to without the boost that came from the Organoid that had permanently bound itself to the core.

Kale was still at an advantage, all over again.

Vega spat out a curse under his breath and whipped around, resolving to cover his weakness with a simple flare of overkilling anything in sight.

"Helpless as ever," Kale stated amusedly, ducking under a swipe of three of the saws and then kneeing the Fury right in the stomach. The larger Zoid slid back from the blow, punching through the same wall it had just cut to ribbons a few seconds earlier. The younger of the two was resolved though, he wouldn`t fall to Kale`s headgames this time. Instead, Vega was going to try one of his own...

"I can still beat you," the younger brother stated with confidence that was balanced precariously on the edge of a knife.

"Sure, you can. In your dreams," the older brother replied with an utterly false amusement born of something that sat between madness and true evil.

"Remember what you said that time?" He asked over the creaking of tortured stone and the falling of shattered debris as the Geno Saurer padded it`s way into the enormous room that Vega had been thrown into.

"What did I say, wizkid?"

[A flash on the simulator screen. At three years old, Vega Obscura had the mentality of a boy two or three times his own age, with the intelligence to match. He`d been called a genius at least fifteen times in his own short memory, but this? This terrified him to an extent. The TV wasn`t supposed to be something you could interact with! It was dead!

"Stop being such a chicken," a familiar, older voice ordered. It was the 'middle' kid`s voice, Rayth Takahori. Vega didn`t like Rayth, Rayth didn`t like anyone and he wasn`t afraid to show his apparent contempt whenever he was given the chance. "If you can pilot a Zoid like they said you can, there`s no point in being afraid of a freaking simulator."

"I`ve never done this before..."

Another voice chimed in from outside the pod. Markedly more cheerful, it was also a great deal more supportive.

"Don`t worry Vega, you can do it," Kale stated as a fact more than a suggestion. Whatever it was in his voice, it steeled little Vega`s resolve enough to actually take the controls for the virtual Saber Tiger and start piloting around in the battlefield. Of course he would fail this first simulation, he was only three after all, but the seeds had been sewn, and that was all that mattered.]

Another dream that will never come true
Just to compliment your sorrow
Another life that I`ve taken from you
A gift to add on to your pain and suffering

"Shut up," Kale ordered with a growl, pulling the trigger without hesitation. Shots rang out in the darkness, each of them missing as the laser saws and the eyes that were the only real indication of where the Razorwind Fury was located simply... Blinked out. Kale growled annoyedly leering at his scanner while flipping the optics over to infrared. Fighting in the dark had never been something Kale excelled at, especially not when he had to rely on things like infrared or even scanners. One didn`t show the surroundings as more than vague transparencies, the other didn`t show them at all since it was geared towards tracking Zoid movemenets, core signatures and little else.

There were other systems, but neither brother was that well versed in fighting with them.

Vega on the other hand, had always had a natural aptitude for two things in specific when it came to fighting: Ambushes and fighting blind or in the dark. He was a specialist when it came to both, more one than the other, and naturally, they complimented each other quite well.

He displayed these proficiencies in kind when Kale finally managed to get a lock on him, only to realize a bit too late that the Geno Saurer was up against a wall with Vega behind...

I was wondering when you`d notice that.

"You could have the fucking decency to help out here!"

Twin roars, the first louder than the other. Six laser saws ignited with a burst of blue flame, each moving in a pair of triple circles and triangular patterns while homing in on where the Geno Saurer was standing. With all of a second to spare, Kale went on the defensive, firing up his thrusters and shooting off the ground, plowing straight up through the ceiling of the enormous temple room, moving into a wide, jet-powered backflip while Vega`s attack hit home, slicing through millennia of ancient stonework and craftsmanship in a hail of shattered, burnt debris.

"Damn," the younger of the two growled at himself.

That was when he flipped his optics back on and glanced at one of the smaller screens, which was showing Kale as the backflip completed. The Geno Saurer was still in mid-air, but it was holding itself aloft in an odd way, jumpjets that weren`t really meant for such a task executing it anyway as the tail went completely rigid and the Zoid started ascending backwards, it`s mouth opening up wide while the barrel extended out ever so slightly between it`s jaws.

"... That`s... That`s insane!"

"It`s only insane if it doesn`t work!"

With that, Kale pulled the trigger and fired the charged particle cannon in mid-air. If not for Shadow, the recoil alone would have shattered the entire Zoid like glass from the head back to the tip of the tail. As it stood, the beam lashed out like a superpowered shuttle thruster, pushing the Geno Saurer back and higher while the beam pulsed terrifyingly through the air, tearing through the floor that kept Vega out of Kale`s direct line of sight.

As for Vega?

He looked up in time to watch the ceiling completely shatter around the incoming beam...

Another truth you can never believe
Has crippled you completely

["You`re lying. He can`t be dead," a seven year old Kale Obscura stated in utter disbelief. Not too far away sat an unresponsive two year old Vega, who was mostly just playing with his toys. It was probably the only time in his life that he`d ever be just a kid, the same for his older sibling. Before them stood a clearly remorseful, obviously upset Sarah Obscura, and in the room over, Altiel Tairis.

"He is. An... Accident with his car on the way to pick you boys up for his visit..."

Something was off with the look in her eyes. Even at the age of seven, Kale was exceptionally perceptive about people, he had a gift for it.

"Are... You sure... That he`s dead?"

"Yes. The accident was bad, at least two other cars were trashed in the process."

Something off. Like her remorse was lined with vanishing ink or something.

"You`re lying," the boy said in a moment of aweful clarity, tears that had been threatening to spill out drying instantly from the mere shock of his own words. Sarah stumbled for something to say, but the look her son was throwing at her completely drilled through any facade she could try to put up. No response came to his accusation, but none was needed.

With a cough, Sarah stood, straightened herself out and walked over to Vega, picking the unresponsive child up and leaving without so much as a word to her older son. It was sort of a way of saying 'don`t tell anyone.'

And then she was gone. Vega was gone. Kale stood alone in the bedroom he`d mostly shared with his two year old brother - even though Vega acted more like a three or four year old and was only recently out of diapers(which was odd in and of itself).

Outside though, Altiel had gone unnoticed by Sarah, somehow. Younger, a bit more lean than he would be in the coming years, he was still quite the schemer. What better way to start chipping away at a woman he knew would be a rival someday than to sew the seeds of descent into her own children?

With a devious smile, Altiel cracked the door open.]

All the cries you`re beginning to hear
Trapped in your mind and the sound is deafening

["I`m starting to hear things," Kale muttered dryly. He was ten now, an accomplished Zoid Warrior and a well known up-and-comer, just like the youth that sat not too far from him.

"What do you mean?" Rayth asked with his usual cynical tone. At age twelve, he was only two years older than Kale, yet still couldn`t touch the younger as far as combat in a Zoid went. They`d become friends of a sort not too long ago, the result of being stuck together for battle training as a two-member team. Though Rayth wasn`t exactly sociable, Kale happened to be patient and understang enough to make up for it - probably why Rayth was starting to make other friends whenever he went around the 'normal kids' in simulator training.

"I mean... I`m starting to hear Zoids."

"You can`t hear Zoids, Kale. They`re machines, tools for battle and nothing more."

"Maybe if you`d stop being such a cynic you`d see that they`re actually alive," Kale pointed out in the same tone that would one day be used by Bit Cloud to argue almost the same point with Altiel and later, Pierce. "None of them want this and they`re starting to show up in my dreams..."

"See a psychiatrist."

"I can`t. We don`t have any and my mom doesn`t believe me..."

"Neither do I, for that matter," Rayth said, tightening the strap on his left glove for the umpteenth time in the conversation. Kale sighed and shook his head.]

Let me enlighten you
This is the way I pray

Sub-atomic flames shattered through floors that had withstood the forces of time and man alike, briefly turning the entire world a hot white for several seconds as the Geno Saurer punched out of the temple in reverse, held aloft by it`s jumpjets and propelled backwards by the charged particle cannon. After several seconds of prolonged flight though, the jumpjets finally gave out and the tyrannid started to fall from the air, now located far above the incinerating remains of the temple itself, which was fast becoming nothing more than a fried out, ever-expanding crater around a dome of multi-colored fire, hot enough to literally glass the dirt around it.

With a coldness in his eyes, Kale released the trigger of the charged particle cannon, allowing the Geno to continue falling to the ground at full reverse, landing with a hard skid that kicked up an equally large trail of dust.

Excellent move, Shadow commented as an afterthought, apparently out of his haze and able to do more than just reinforce the Geno Saurer`s endurance.

Kale only smirked, a grim, murderous twinkle in his eyes.

Living just isn`t hard enough
Burn me alive, inside

"He`s not finished yet," the older brother exclaimed, his voice perhaps showing a mixture of a calm rage and a lethal determination.

And that was when a black speck appeared within the midst of the explosion, fading away as fire turned to smoke. It was about three seconds later that Kale`s ears faintly registered a dull hum, and then...

Another nightmare about to come true
Will manifest tomorrow

In the middle of a canyon once clear of everything, even vegetation and insect-life, the silence was shattered one last time by a terrible roar.

Alone, proud, angry and defiant all at once, the Liger Zero stood atop a newly destroyed Rev Raptor, the last Zoid that had dared to stand against it`s murderous onslaught.

["IT`S SHOWTIME, ZEKE!!!"]

Blood literally poured from the Liger`s fangs, bits of machinery dangling around once-golden teeth, various types of machine lubricants splattered all over the majestic killing machine`s once-golden claws. Smoke still drifted up in whisps from everything in sight, the slaughter had been absolutely ruthless to no ends. It was like nothing that had been seen in centuries, even the legend that had been Raven would have been scarce to comprehend the amount of blood shed.

["Where`d he go? Where the hell did he go?!"

A golden swipe of four claws from above, the cockpit was torn open and the pilot vaporized into a disgusting, evaporating cloud of blood insantly, his bottom half tearing out of the seat from the sheer force of the blow. The Liger Zero touched down with perfect balance -]

It had been so intense that most of the now-dead or dying Zoid cores hadn`t even petrified into stone yet, leaving hauntingly crushed memories of once proud fighting machines.

[- and in a terrifying instant, three more Rev Raptors and a Helcat all went down, torn apart by the Liger`s dual shot cannon, which had practically turned into some kind of death machine in it`s own right.]

And in the cockpit...

["I`LL KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU!!!"]

Alone. Bloodier than most war veterans. Hyperventilating.

["STRIKE LASER CLAW!"

In a blinding flash of gold, a Helcat and five Rev Raptors were completely ripped apart, cut so perfectly that the breaks were smoother than glass.]

Sweating. Crying. Laughing.

[A scream as the Liger literally tore through three more Rev Raptors like an insane bullet, it`s claws tearing a Command Wolf completely in half as it landed, it`s teeth biting into the cockpit of another Helcat and tearing the head right off.]

Bit Cloud had gone over the edge.

Another love that I`ve taken from you
Lost in time on the edge of suffering

"WHO`S NEXT?!"

Another taste of evil I breed
Will level you completely

The smoke cloud literally shattered into a hellish whirlwind around a charged particle beam, obviously fired at the absolute limit of the Fury`s power. Kale skipped a heartbeat in surprise, but while his heart could skip, his reflexes couldn`t. The Geno Saurer dodged to the left, almost perfectly bursting out of the line of fire while the beam gouged straight through the terrain like a knife, soaring off into the skies a few seconds later before thinning to a complete halt.

The smoke cleared and the Razorwind stood alone in what had once been the bottom half of a double-pyramid, all six blades working in a pair of sideways whirlwinds, held out to either side of the larger Zoid as it leered up ominously to the Geno, which had only just managed to land.

"Dodge all you want, Kale," Vega muttered to himself threateningly. "One of them will hit you in the end."

Bring to life everything that you fear
Live in the dark and the world is threatening

[The gaming room. In normal conditions, during normal hours, the video game room in the Backdraft Group`s recreation area was taken up by kids and adults of all ages. It even hosted a smaller room that served as home to the facilities six arcade-level simulators, devices that had been amped up a bit and were often used by the younger 'early start' classes - the five groups that the Kings had been picked from - as basic training.

Tonight though, the room served a different purpose.

Six year old Vega Obscura was playing every game in the entire area. Over and over again. From pinball to thunderball to shooters to strategy games to everything else - everything but the simulators. He was mostly alone, his face was dampened with tears and his eyes looked more than a little bloodshot.

It was three in the morning. While yes, most of the games were on all night and the room itself never closed, it was strange for anyone to be playing this late, let alone a kid. Almost everyone else but the nightshift was asleep by now, even his mother had given up on trying to reign him in for the evening after the fifteenth attempt, while Stigma wasn`t available and no one else cared enough to bother.

The reason he was up as late, the same reason that he had been crying almost every time something died in the game, was also the reason why the Five Kings had dropped to four.

Earlier that night, Vega had accidentally killed Randal Clark in the middle of a Zoid battle.

The two had both been using Saber Tigers, but, while Clark was skilled and experienced enough to hold back despite himself, Vega had not been. Dummy ammunition, yes, but when the claw of a seventy-eight ton war machine slams down from above at over a hundred miles an hour into the glass of a cockpit, just about nothing was fake about the damage it caused. Clark had literally been turned into a glob of guts, goo, broken bone and other suitably bad things, and Vega had only realized what he`d done a few seconds after the fact.

It had crushed him quite a bit. The youngest member of the Five Kings wasn`t someone who was very prone to being able to kill someone. Hell, none of them but Rayth seemed to have the lack of a conscience required for it.

Several squeezes of the game`s trigger later, a game over sign flared onto the screen. Vega twitched, then jerked as a hand laid itself onto the shoulder of his short sleeved shirt.

"It`s time for bed, Vega," Kale stated somberly. At eleven, he looked and sometimes acted like a man in his late fifties, forced to carry the growing burden of having one friend, trying to be a genuine rolemodel to an increasingly despondant, strange little brother and at the same time avoid blowing his mother`s cover by screwing up, as Altiel had threatened. Once, he`d trusted the man, now? Now Kale would have probably sooner spat on him in the arctic than urinated on him in the desert.

"Why?"

"I don`t know why, Vega. The only thing you can do is hope he`s in a better place now."

"I didn`t mean to..."

"I know that. He knows that too, he just can`t tell you himself," Kale lied sweetly, if only to try and cheer his brother out of becoming a depressed, moping piece of goo by the time he was seven. Slowly, Vega turned his head to look up over his shoulder, those eyes hauntingly somber in their mood. In them, Kale saw something reflected back at him, what it was, he didn`t know.

It terrified him though.

"I don`t think I wanna be a Zoid pilot anymore..."

"Sure you do, kid," Kale replied automatically, somehow maintaining the cheery, strong facade. "It`s just that things like this shake the heck out of us, right?"

"I guess."

"Wanna get something to eat? You look like you haven`t had anything all day, maybe some pizza`ll cheer ya up."

"Sure," Vega said with a shrug, turning away from the game. The late night cafeterias were a blessed thing, at least now the younger brother wouldn`t be exposed to fake death from the screens of all the video games, or the racket of a pool table that could sound eerily similar to the racket of a gun going off. Inwardly, Kale sighed to himself.

He was only eleven, and yet he had to deal with issues most grown men couldn`t handle. It was slowly eating away at him, piece by piece.]

Let me enlighten you
This is the way I pray

A roar of jet engines, the Razorwind shot up out of the crater at full speed, the dual whirlwinds ceasing as each laser saw swiped downward at the Geno Saurer, flinging of blade-shaped slices of energy, eerily reminiscent of the type of attack the Death Saurer`s tail could perform. Kale dodged again, the ground beneath him was promptly cut to burnt up ribbons, but the Razorwind continued descending. It was only then, Kale realized, that Vega had become good enough to play off of the older fighter`s own moves, and again, he had to work to dodge.

The Geno burst to the side, the Fury landed right on top of where it had been standing and Kale had to work for yet another dodge, twisting out of the way of the larger Zoid`s tailblades, nailing the Fury right in the hip with the Geno`s own tail in the process. The Fury roared defiantly and stood against the attack, reversing the course of it`s blades and promptly stabbing into the space just above the Geno Saurer`s hip, narrowly missing vitals and just about everything else and then drawing back out harshly, causing a shower of small sparks as a result.

Pitiful. Fight harder.

"I don`t see you doing jack shit," Kale replied angrily at the Organoid, blazing up into the air and turning around to face the Razorwind as he landed, just when the other Zoid turned around.

"You shouldn`t keep trying to hit me at point blank, idiot," Vega commented, taking the advantage in every way -

"I`ll remember that, twit."

- for all of a split second before Kale opened up with his head guns, spraying the Razorwind Fury with pulse cannon shots. The larger Zoid rocked unexpectedly, and Vega knowingly condemned himself for being overconfident.

Much better.

"I`d say something like 'thank you,' but I`d be lying."

I know. Exactly why I like you.

Living just isn`t hard enough
Burn me alive, inside

[Alfred Torson was dead. Suicide. Apparently the stresses of having to go through as much combat training were too much for some people to handle, and Alfred was one of them. His death hadn`t struck the same cord in most that Clark`s had caused. A bit of a manic depressive by nature, Torson had often made moves in battle that made it seem like he wanted to die in the first place. At age twenty-two, he`d spent all of his teens - a time when most people snuck out at night, got drunk illegally, stirred up trouble and basically took the concept of 'try again' to the extreme.

None of the Four Kings could stand it, Torson was just the first to drop. Even Vega was starting to crack and he wasn`t even in his teens yet, but the other two...

"We shouldn`t be doing this," Kale mumbled out under his breath, flinging a rope out of the window and anchoring it with a mountain climber`s knot to a dresser a few seconds later.

"What do you suggest? Hijacking a Zoid and busting out?" Rayth growled back in his usual tone, having literally kicked the bars on his window out. It had obviously worn him down to do it - the things were made to hold back a team of fully grown men, but Rayth Takahori was quite adept at picking out structural weakpoints. A few dozen stolen kitchen knives, taken in such a slow moving pattern that no one would think of it as anything more than missing kitchenware and nothing else, along with his own right leg and the bars were gone.

"I`d prefer it to trying to get away on foot," the younger of the two replied. Rayth was the older member of the escape attempt, and at nineteen, he was also the oldest member of the Three Kings that remained, not to mention the most ruthless.

"Stealing a Zoid isn`t out of the question, but I doubt we`ll get the chance. Now stop bitching and get climbing," Rayth muttered, grabbing onto the rope and giving it a hard yank or two before diving out of the window and sliding down. The burn to his hands was painful, but he didn`t have time to be seen.

"Shit!" He spat out in little more than a whisper, stopping himself by squeezing his poots to the rope and catching on the knot at the bottom. Kale leaned out of the window a few seconds later, peering down.

"The rope`s not long enough!" Rayth shouted, trying to control his voice.

"Any ideas then?" Kale yelled back, crouching on the windowsill. Rayth looked around in response, trying to pick out something that could save their little plan. He had to be free, even if it meant plowing through everything on the damn base to do it...

And speaking of the base, it was one of the larger ones operated by the Backdraft Group. A single black building that had six large hangs built at it`s base, the building itself built partially into a mountain and an additional Whale King hangar - one of the only ones of it`s kind - placed into the enormous saucer that Kale and Vega`s rooms were located on.

Rayth had descended all the way down to just a few dozen yards beneath the saucer, that gave him just enough reach to possibly throw himself at a specific glass window near the bottom. It would hopefully break his impact enough that landing wouldn`t hurt too badly, but he didn`t think it possible on his own weight. However with Kale`s weight added to Rayth`s own...

"Climb down!" He shouted, and Kale just obeyed. He had a somewhat bad habit of trusting Rayth a bit too much for his own good.

Several minutes went by and the two young men were both dangling precariously at the bottom of the rope, hanging on opposite sides of the same level, the rope dangling between them.

"Now what?" Kale asked.

"Start shifting your weight in tune with mine. We`re going to try and swing through that glass window there," he pointed to it, and Kale almost looked hesitant for a second. "You can go back up if you want, I`m leaving regardless," Rayth muttered annoyedly.

Not another word spoken, both started to shift their weight in unison swinging left to right until finally -

"Now!"

- letting go of the rope and going flying. Rayth went a little higher but in the end, both slammed into the same pane of glass at the same second, shattering it completely and having the unwitting luck of falling down a few yards more to the hard ground below. For most people the fall would have killed them, even Rayth was jarred half-senseless, but Kale just shook his head and stood up, dusting himself off and rubbing over the bruising on one shoulder.

It was then that the alarm went off.

"Shit."]

Living my life`s not hard enough
Take everything away

The fighting had shifted in Kale`s favor again, and it hadn`t shifted pleasantly either. Again and again, the Razorwind was forced to dodge out of the way, lacking in the way of any long ranged weaponry while the Geno Saurer kept as distant as possible, picking away at Vega like a machine gunner trying to take down a high speed, unarmed tank in the middle of an utterly open field.

"Whenever you feel like helping!" Vega spat in his thoughts, though Specular didn`t even bother with a response. It almost sounded like the Organoid was crying somehow. Why she was doing so, Vega didn`t know. He wouldn`t have understood anyway. Again, the Razorwind burst off the ground, a stream of pulse cannon shots impacting the very dirt it`d been standing on a second later.

And then Vega yelled out in surprise, finding that he`d jumped right into the line of Kale`s back-mounted guns, practically earning the pair of high impact rounds that slammed into the Fury`s chest as a result. The larger Zoid tumbled from the air in response, landing with a hard crash on it`s stomach before springing back up unsteadily. The two had been fighting for an hour now - at the bare minimum. Maybe longer, maybe shorter, but it was a fight that had dragged on and worn away at the stamina and endurance of both combatants.

Vega and Kale just wanted to win now. They weren`t trading insults, they weren`t trying to draw each other out into a verbal exchange that might give away a weakness or two, they were just trying kill each other. Nothing in particular mattered, strategy was limited at best. It was coming down to which one had the will to outlast the other, and even that seemed deadlocked.

Six uniform slashes, followed by five dodges and a roar of pain as the sixth laser slash hit home, slicing across one of the Geno`s shoulders and cutting a deep gash into one cheek, passing along and then slicing off a piece of the back mounted cannons. An explosion followed, namely the cannon itself going sky high since the attack had managed to hit close enough to the weapon`s secondary power plant.

The Fury lunged forward, the Geno Saurer jumped into a backflip. Laser saws flared, the Geno`s tail struck home on the Fury`s chin, and even as the larger Zoid faltered back, clawed hands shot forward and grappled onto the main arms that held all six of the laser saws together. A split second passed by, and Kale burst back and into the air, yanking Vega along for the ride before electricuting him outright.

The younger Obscura and his Organoid both screamed in pain, shared by the agonized Fury, all three being slammed down into the ground after several seconds, which was exactly when the Geno Saurer landed.

Two clacking sounds filled Vega`s ears. The world went silent instantly, everything seemed to go in slow motion.

Return to me

["It`s not fair..." Kale thought.]

Leave me no one

[Four Geno Saurers stood before him. All were unclaimed, and the true prize, the Berserk Fury, had been given to his brother.

"I`m the better pilot, the quicker thinker," he thought annoyedly, glaring from side to side. Rayth`s recent disappearance after their utterly failed escape attempt hadn`t helped his already de-stabilizing mental conditions. Death threats and an attempted murder hadn`t helped his standing with the Backdraft Group, and now, now he was already seeing Sarah`s plan.

"She just needs a pawn, not a son," he growled to himself in thought.]

Turn me, return to me

["I got picked!" A young voice shouted into the room, blaring out that small, almost imperceptable snapping sound that came from everywhere at once, echoed briefly by the steel walls of the oversized, mostly empty room.

"They`re making me the pilot of the Berserk Fury!"]

Cast aside

["Hunting time."

Kale ignored Vega for once, breaking into a sprint for the closest of the Geno Saurers, which was also the only one that looked different from the other three. Black and a dim purple that looked as though it was only barely distinguishable in even the best lighting, it was also a bit redder in the eyes, like it held an alertness that none of the others could quite come close to.]

You`ve made me turn away

["Kale?"]

Living just isn`t hard enough

[The older brother dove forward, the Geno Saurer`s cockpit already extended to the ground and waiting. In an instant, he landed, sitting upright in the already retracting chair. Vega blinked in surprise before shouting.

"Stop! You can`t do that!"]

"NO MORE FUCKING GAMES!"

Burn me alive, inside

[The Geno Saurer clamped it`s footlocks in place, straightening up and aiming -]

- right for the cockpit of the Razorwind Fury -

Living my life`s not hard enough

[- as power gathered at the tip of the barrel, forming a glowing sphere for several seconds -]

They take everything from you

- Vega looked on in abstract terror, fear for his own life budding to the surface in a single instant. Kale -

[- pulled the trigger -]

- and history stopped repeating itself. In the past, the beam had gone right over his head before scything along to form a way out of the hangar, and again it had hit him once before for a few seconds during their last battle. This time though, Specular snapped out of her haze-

NOT THIS TIME!

- springing the Fury to life with a blue rage burning in those once orange hewed optics. It was a futile gesture for the survival of the Zoid itself, but it still did what she had intended, moving the cockpit out of the line of fire.

Living just isn`t hard enough
Burn me alive, inside

The Razorwind Fury howled in pain as the Geno`s claws released it, the larger Zoid flying right off of the ground and flying through the air for over a hundred feet before tumbling down into the crater of the temple, sliding down to the epicenter right on it`s back. Charred black once more, brutalized beyond compare, the threateningly blue optics shimmered briefly and faded to orange, just before fading away entirely to black.

Living my life`s not hard enough
Take everything away

Kale sighed to himself. His victory hadn`t been as satisfactory as he`d have thought, but it was still a victory and that was all that mattered.

It`s time, Shadow spoke with a grimly pleased tone.

The cockpit of the Geno Saurer slipped open, extending down to the ground as a pinkish-red glow started to take hold of the Zoid`s form.

"For what?" Kale asked finally, leering up while stepping away, swiping the rucksack of his meager belongings in the process. Clothing, nothing else, and most of it had been... Acquired by Shadow through the past weeks.

Evolution.

The cockpit retracted, Kale watched with no amusement as the pinkish-red glow faded to what looked like a strange, glass-like purple, shaping itself into a tilted diamond as whisps of energy flittered up from the ground, circling. Revelation struck not too long after that.

Whereas his ancestor, Raven, would have most likely burst into a fit of raving laughter, Kale Obscura only smiled murderously, sitting down on a nearby stone and watching the lightshow intently.


And in the crater, a low hum echoed. It was followed by a mechanical gasp of air and a hard thump, ended by a grunt as a smallish form dropped out of the upside down cockpit of the ruined Razorwind Fury.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Vega Obscura crawled out from under his demolished Zoid, standing straight with a hardened frown. Zoid or no Zoid, Organoid or no Organoid, he wasn`t finished yet.

The battle was far from over. Even Vega didn`t know just how long it would be...


Author`s Note: All Hell Continues to Break Loose, yes? :D Next chapter probably won`t focus so heavily on Bit, Kale and Vega but do expect even more brutality to be involved! BAHAHA!!!

Rhade: Thankyeh :P

EndlessAdventure: Borealis is a headcase, isn`t he? With any luck I`ll be able to write him into the next chapter, along with Leon, Naomi, the Blitz Team and possibly Mark and Kyle. Hell, maybe even Harabec`ll get some screen time >_>;;

Illidan: I`m leaving it to everyone`s imagination as to how massive the slaughter that Bit carried out really was, though the flashback sequences should have enlightened you at least a little. As for what side he`s on... Wouldn`t you like to know? >D

Also: What did everyone think of this chapter`s heavy reliance on flashbacks during the Vega/Kale battle? Was it warranted? Hopefully I didn`t go overboard and did a good job on it, just a bit concerned. And also: The flashbacks weren`t really done in any particular order, they were just random examples of the kind of things that went on during the years before the original series.

And on a final note: I HATE having to keep track of character ages... *Grumbles.* I gotta edit a lot of NA when it comes to character ages, and I also have to edit the one time I botched Altiel`s name... Grah. *Thud.*

As always, enjoy, leave a review and see ya next time! Sh33p out.


Reign of Chaos by Sh33p


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com