Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 9: Isengard's treason revealed, Gandalf and Saruman fight

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien. By the way, this fanfiction is taken pretty much from the movie directed by Peter Jackson. I, like many of you, can't wait when Return of the King comes out. This is not for profit, only for entertainment.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.


Gandalf accompanied the hobbits and the humans, Kaoru and Yahiko out of Hobbiton. "Come along Samwise, keep up! You too, young Kaoru and Yahiko!" Gandalf commanded.

The group finally stopped by grassland, under some trees, before parting with Gandalf.

"Be careful, the four of you, the enemy has many spies in his service. Birds… beasts." Gandalf knelt in front of Frodo one last time.

"Is it safe?" he asked. Frodo nodded as he covered his breastpocket with the ring in it.

Gandalf reminded Frodo once more, "never put it on. For the agents of the dark lord shall be drawn to its power. Always remember Frodo, the ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found."

Afterwards, he mounted on his horse and rode off. Frodo hears the cries of birds and fears it because of what Gandalf told him. Sam walked up to Frodo and gestured a face of confidence at him. Kaoru placed her hand gently on Frodo's shoulder.

"Let's go Frodo," she said.

The group began their journey to Bree. They crossed through waterfalls, rivers, and lakes trekking throughout the lands of the Shire, avoiding the roads like Gandalf instructed them to. The group came across a farm field.

Sam suddenly stopped for unknown reasons but he spoke to his companions, "this is it."

"This is what?" asked Frodo.

"Is there anything wrong Sam?" wondered Kaoru.

"Yes, Miss Kaoru… if I take one more step, it will be the farthest away from home I've ever been."

"Don't worry about it, Sam, "interjected Yahiko, "ever since my parents died… I've always felt that I was away from home… until I met Kaoru and Kenshin. And I've managed to keep on going, despite the fact that I'm an orphan."

After a few moments of silence, Frodo walked up to his gardener, "come on Sam." Sam reluctantly agreed to take the step that he mentions will be the farthest away from home.

Frodo tried to comfort Sam with something Bilbo said: "Remember what Bilbo used to say; it's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step on to the road… and if you don't keep your feet… there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

The group continued their journey.


Gandalf continued his ride to Isengard, to see Saruman. In an open patch of grassland, Gandalf spots from a distance, a figure. He takes a closer look and slows his horse. It was another human, dressed in strange clothing. He had red hair and a cross-shaped scar on his left cheek. Gandalf spoke to the stranger, "greetings, young man, what do I owe the trouble?"

"I'm sorry to have to ask sir, but do you know where Rivendell is? I'm afraid I got lost, that I did," the stranger smiled clumsily at Gandalf. "I've also seemed to have lost some friends of mine."

"Indeed," said Gandalf. "I'm seeing a lot of strange clothed folk of late. Are your friends' names Yahiko and Kaoru, by any chance?" The inquiry made the stranger gasp.

"You've met them? Then I must tell you sir… me and my friends have gotten involved in something that can endanger all of this land," the stranger finished.

"Let me guess," inquired Gandalf, "the one ring of power." The stranger put on a serious look and convinced the wizard as he nodded.

"I am Gandalf the Grey stranger. Your friends are now accompanying a pair of Hobbits, who have the ring, to Bree."

Kenshin has found the other wizard that Radagast spoke of. "Is the hobbit's name, Bilbo Baggins by any chance, Sir Gandalf?" he asked.

"You seem to know a lot. What is your name, sir?"

The stranger answered, "I am Kenshin Himura. One of your wizard brethren, Radagast, informed me of the details of this ring. My friends and I come from a world that is different from this one, that it is. Besides Kaoru and Yahiko, I've brought four other companions with me, to help defend this world from Sauron."

"I see. Well, young Kenshin, you were almost correct about the hobbit's name. Bilbo no longer holds the ring. It now lies in the possession of his nephew, Frodo Baggins and he is with your friends as we speak. I am heading to see the head of my order, Saruman the White."

"Before you go, Sir Gandalf, there is one more thing you should know," said Kenshin. Gandalf listened. "My friends were attacked by monstrous creatures that came to my world before we came to this world. The creatures were painted with this hand, that they were."

Kenshin pulled out the black cloth with the white hand on it and showed it to Gandalf. Gandalf looked at it with great shock. "Radagast told me," said Kenshin, "that it was the personal mark and trade of Saruman the White."


The group decided to take a rest. They were not far from the road. Sam was cooking food. Yahiko was awake and waited for the food to be ready. Frodo and Kaoru were resting. Suddenly they hear distinct singing voices.

Frodo said, smiling, "Sam! Wood-Elves!"

The group went to investigate. They went closer to the road for a closer look. They saw a pilgrimage of people dressed in white carrying lanterns. Kaoru and Yahiko found themselves bewitched at what they saw with their own eyes.

"So, Frodo, these are the Elves?" Kaoru asked.

"Yes, Miss Kaoru," answered Frodo.

"They're incredible Frodo," said Yahiko, "…where do you suppose they're going?"

"They're going to the harbor beyond the White Towers, Yahiko," answered Frodo, "…to the Grey Havens."

"They're leaving Middle-Earth?" asked Sam.

"Never to return," answered Frodo.

"Why are they doing that?" inquired Kaoru.

"Their time is ending here, Miss Kaoru. Gandalf told me this," answered Frodo.

"I'm not exactly sure why," said Sam, "but… it makes me sad."


Later, the travelers went to get some sleep. Sam was somewhat unaccustomed to his place of rest. "Everywhere I lie," mentioned Sam, "there's a dirty great root sticking into my back."

"Well," interjected Yahiko, "get used to it Sam. Kenshin's been accustomed to sleeping outside for 10 years before I even met him."

"Kenshin," started Frodo, "must be very special to you people indeed."

"Yeah Frodo," answered Yahiko, "you bet he is." Frodo smiled at the youth's fascination.

Then he gave Sam some advice, "Sam, just shut your eyes, and imagine you're back in your own bed with a soft mattress and a lovely feather pillow." But it didn't look like Sam was about to agree.

"It's not working, Mr. Frodo," said Sam, "I'm never going to be able to sleep out here."

A moment of silence followed, but Frodo does agree with Sam, "…me neither, Sam."

Kaoru looked with sympathy at Frodo. 'Poor Frodo,' thought Kaoru.

The group strives to get some sleep. But they wouldn't be able to sleep longer as a black rider watches relentlessly over the Shire…


Gandalf and Kenshin rode together, until they looked and saw a large, black tower. Gandalf stopped his horse. "Here it is Kenshin. Isengard, and the tower of Orthanc, the stronghold of Saruman. I need you to let me go forward to the valley alone."

"But Sir Gandalf," objected Kenshin. "What if Saruman should suspect that you suspect him of joining Sauron?"

"I shall proceed with caution. If I should get in any trouble, I shall eventually get myself out. You wait here. If I'm not back here, or any chance of being imprisoned here, I shall let you know, somehow." Kenshin reluctantly agreed and dismounted off the horse.

"Good luck, Sir Gandalf."

"To us both, young Kenshin." Gandalf rode off again to Isengard.


Gandalf passed through the opening hall and rode towards the tower in the center of the valley. An old man, dressed in white, started to come from the tower to greet his guest…

'Smoke rises from the mountain of doom…

The hour grows late…

And Gandalf the Grey rides to Isengard…

Seeking my counsel…'

Gandalf then dismounted his horse to greet the leader of the order.

"…For that," said the old man, smiling, "is why you have come, is it not? My old friend."

"Saruman," greeted Gandalf bowing his head to Saruman.


The two wizards took a walk throughout Isengard, talking about what has happened lately. Gandalf keeps in mind what Kenshin has said about Saruman and proceeds with caution.

"You are sure of this?" Saruman asked.

"Beyond any doubt," answered Gandalf.

"So the ring of power has been found."

"All these long years, it was in the shire, under my very nose."

"And yet, you did not have the wits to see it!" he scolded Gandalf, "your love of the halfling's leaf… has clearly slowed your mind."

"But we still have time," resolved Gandalf, "time enough to counter Sauron, if we act quickly!"

"Time?!"

Gandalf stopped with shock to hear this questioning from the wise leader…

"What time, do you think we have?" asked Saruman.

Hearing this remark alone, started to convince Gandalf that Saruman isn't all that he seems to be, according to Kenshin.


Inside the tower, Saruman began to explain to Gandalf why he doubts that there is time.

"Sauron," he announced, "has regained most of his former strength. He cannot yet take physical form, but his spirit has lost none of its potency. Concealed within his fortress, the Lord of Mordor sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh."

Gandalf was speechless and shocked hearing this explanation. Saruman went on, "…you know of what I speak of Gandalf. A great eye… lidless… wreathed in flame."

"The Eye of Sauron," Gandalf said in shock.

Saruman continued even further and even more frightening than before, "he is gathering all evil to him. Very soon, he will have summoned an army great enough to launch an assault upon Middle-Earth."

"You know this?" inquired Gandalf, "…how?"

"I have seen it."


If anything else, Gandalf is now, after hearing all this, almost fully convinced of Saruman's growing misdeeds. Gandalf walks to the throne room, with Saruman behind him, where he spots a covered stone sphere.

"A palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman," stated Gandalf. They both approach the covered stone and Saruman tries to reason with his kinsman.

"Why? Why should we fear to use it?" Saruman asked as he uncovers the stone. The palantir shone a black pearl color.

Gandalf still refused to use it, "they are not all accounted for, the lost seeing stones. We do not know who else may be watching." Gandalf snatched the cloth from Saruman and re-covered the palantir. As he did…

AACCK!

Gandalf instantly sees the fiery eye the moment he puts his hand on the seeing stone.

Saruman walked to his throne. "The hour is later than you think," he stated, "Sauron's forces are already moving." Saruman sat down and continued, "…the nine have left Minas Morgul."

"The nine?"

"They crossed the river Isen on Midsummer's Eve, disguised as riders in black."

"They've reached the shire?"

"They will find the ring," stated Saruman maliciously and let a few moments pass before finishing even more ominously, "…and kill the one who carries it."

"Frodo!" Gandalf gasped and started to go out the door… but it closed…!

Gandalf turned around to see Saruman grinning maliciously. Gandalf started to go to another door, but Saruman closed that as well, and all the other following doors closed one by one. Gandalf was completely closed in. It seems that he now has the proof that Saruman is indeed, a traitor.

"I know what you're probably thinking," said Saruman, "…you've started to suspect me ever since your encounter with your new friend, Mr. Himura. Yes… I've used the palantir to see that as well. There's nothing he can do." Gandalf went speechless at Saruman's discovery of his suspicion.

"And you did not seriously think that a Hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron. There are none who can," added Saruman. Gandalf turned to face Saruman, frowning.

Saruman continued, "against the power of Mordor, there can be no victory… "

Saruman then leaned forward to announce, "…we must join with him, Gandalf… we must join with Sauron. It would be wise, my friend."

Gandalf has heard enough of this mad talk, "tell me… friend. When did Saruman the wise abandon reason for madness!"
 

Insulted, Saruman roared as he grabbed his staff and used it to slam Gandalf onto the wall, hard. The treacherous wizard kept holding him there and released him, letting him drop to the floor. Gandalf struck back with his staff, knocking Saruman down. Saruman then took another swing at Gandalf.

The fight became intense as Gandalf struck back harder with his next attack. And swung again, sending Saruman against the wall, hitting his head. Saruman was really mad as he struck back at Gandalf, making him twirl. Saruman growled with a vengeance, swinging Gandalf around each time, enjoying it. Gandalf regained his composure and struck back at Saruman, sending him crashing onto a door, and into another room.

Gandalf ached with great pain, with his head bleeding, suffering the attacks Saruman threw at him. Unexpectedly, Saruman quickly sat up and held out his hand, snatching Gandalf's staff from him and into his hand. Saruman now had two staffs. He used them to throw Gandalf onto the floor. Saruman wouldn't let up this time. He walked into the throne room with both staffs, with his head also bleeding and hair messed up, making Gandalf twirl around the floor…

"I gave you…" growled Saruman, "the chance of… aiding me… willingly. But you… had elected… the way of… PAIN!"

With all of his anger, Saruman sent Gandalf soaring up in the air until he reached the top of the tower…

CRASH!

Outside Isengard, Kenshin senses that something bad has happened as he looked with shock at the tower. A breeze of wind passed through him, making his hair fly through the air. "So… Saruman has shown his true colors, that he has," Kenshin said, frowning.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 
Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c