Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 71: Prepare for battle! The Siege of Gondor.

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power. 

A/n: Hello my readers, after waiting nearly six months, you now get to see the big battles. Oh, and one of my reviewers commented that I made the Orc commander in Kyoto, Dothmákh, look too similar to Gothmog. So, I changed him up a bit and made him scar-faced and having only one eye intact, while editing the part where he talks with the wraith leader about the battle plans. Go and read the previous chapter, if you like. I'm going to post two chapters today, so you'll be able to see how the battle of Kyoto begins.

Enjoy, and please read and review.


Mordor's forces massed even closer towards the White City…and stopped before the city, just outside of bow range, with the siege towers that were as high as the lower walls of the city, being pushed by the gargantuan trolls. The Orcs began digging lines of deep trenches in a huge ring. As the trenches were made… each of them was filled with fire; kindled or fed by a dark art of devilry that none could see.

While in front of the Gates of Minas Tirith…

"Open the gates! Quick!" one of the guards called out.

The gates were opened… letting in a lone horse that cautiously stepped its way along the entrance, dragging a fallen rider. The guards hurriedly pulled the horse, along with the rider into the city before the gates were closed again. They all saw… that the fallen rider was Faramir, shot through with an arrow under his right shoulder, and the other through his stomach and was unconscious. The guards went to Faramir to try and arouse him… but made no signs of movements. In this instance… the guards feared he was dead.

Outside Minas Tirith… the Orcs set their catapults with many yells and the creaking of rope and winch. Gothmog gazed up at the city walls as he rode among his Orc troops… upon a Warg with a satisfied smirk, looking very pleased. The Orc commander heeled his creature to one of the Orcs, tossing him the reins. Another Orc tried to help Gothmog down, but the commander pushed him away, and walked on his own, limping slightly.

The soldiers of Minas Tirith spared no expense as they quickly carried Faramir on a stretcher through the winding streets of the city.

"Quick, hurry!" Irolas called to the men as they reached the top level of the city, walking over across the courtyard, laying him under the White tree.

Denethor, Pippin, Aoshi and the guards, ran towards Faramir from the citadel. Aoshi and Pippin looked in horror to see Faramir shot with arrows, like his brother was.

"Faramir!" cried Denethor in despair as he knelt beside Faramir and caressed his son's face, "…say not, that he has fallen."

Irolas gloomily reported to his lord, "…they were outnumbered, none survived."

"…Fear? The city is rank with it," said Gothmog, with a malicious and most vicious gleam of anticipation in his eye, "…let us ease their pain… release the prisoners!"

"Catapults!" the Orc lieutenant, wearing a helmet with a skull on top of it, called out…

And the catapults were fired, with their contents thrown over the City's lowest walls. The Orc lieutenant cackled wickedly, imagining whatever expressions of despair, the Gondorians will undoubtedly have.

"Shields up!" the soldiers cried out as they held up their shields.

The projectiles seemed to be small round shot, but when the Gondorians learned what they were, they wept and gasped with horror. For the enemy was flinging into the City… all the heads of those who had fallen fighting at Osgiliath, and those who had fought to reclaim it. It was truly a terrible sight to behold for the Gondorians, seeing the bloodied, bodiless heads thrown at them by the Orcs…

"My sons, are spent," gasped Denethor as he stumbled away from the litter that bore Faramir, torn with grief, "…my line has ended."

Pippin ran around the soldiers and knelt by Faramir's side. Aoshi joined the Hobbit, also kneeling. Pippin then touched a hand to the wounded man's face, but lightened his expression…

"…He's alive!" exclaimed Pippin.

"…I feel it too Pippin," said Aoshi, feeling some movement from Faramir, then lowered his head over Faramir's chest, "…his heart's still beating, but it is very faint."

"…The house of Stewards, has failed," Denethor said to himself, continuing to stagger away, across the courtyard, his mind beginning to break…

Aoshi then turned to the stumbling Denethor and said, "Denethor, your son still lives."

"He needs medicine, my lord," Pippin called urgently to Denethor…

"MY LINE HAS ENDED!" the Steward replied, roaring with despair, unheeding both Pippin and Aoshi about Faramir's life.

"Did you not hear what we've said?" Aoshi asked contemptuously as he trotted off after Denethor, who stopped suddenly at the low wall at the end of the courtyard, "Faramir is still alive…"

"My lord!" Pippin called again urgently from where he stood by Faramir's side.

Aoshi then reached Denethor, noticing a shocked look on his face… then looked down where the dismayed Steward was facing below the low wall…

And gazed at the 200,000 Orcs that blackened Pelennor Fields, preparing to attack Minas Tirith. The trolls began placing huge boulders into the catapults, as the Orcs were about to commence the attack…

"Denethor," said Aoshi, "you mustn't worry about Faramir now. He needs special care. You must prepare your troops to fight back."

But alas… Denethor was not listening to Aoshi, with his wild eyes fixed upon the army of Mordor…

"…Rohan… has deserted us," said Denethor, with his mind breaking even more…

The Orcs began to fire a first round of catapults, launching the boulders towards the city's lower walls…

SMASH!

And struck fiercely into the city, taking out the soldiers, as well as many towers and people's homes. The Orcs took great pleasure and amusement, hearing the people scream and wail, running out into the streets in fear as their homes were destroyed, one by one…

"…Théoden's betrayed me," gritted Denethor.

Aoshi grimaced at the faltering Steward and his growing, deepening madness and despair, with every line spoken… going insane…

More of the Orcs' boulders were fired in a second round, almost simultaneously, crashing furiously into the city, causing more structural damage… and killing more civilians and soldiers with each shot, as more buildings and towers… were crumbling down around them…

"ABANDON YOUR POSTS!" Denethor yelled to his men below the citadel in panic, "FLEE! FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!"

The Gondorian soldiers from below looked about above the citadel uncertainly and in fear at their lord who ordered them to withdraw. Aoshi grimaced even more at Denethor as he remembered what Faramir told him about Denethor's fears, and slowly began to clench his fist.

Denethor then slowly turned from the wall…

THWACK!

And was hit in the face… by Gandalf's staff. Aoshi was surprised when Gandalf hit the Steward. Gandalf growled a little at Denethor as he hit him again in the stomach… and hit him a third time, on the back plummeting Denethor onto the ground.

Gandalf then turned to Aoshi and said, "Do whatever you wish, Aoshi."

Granted by request… Aoshi kicked Denethor, sending him flying across the ground. Denethor moved a little while on the ground, worn out by Gandalf and Aoshi's attacks.

"You must be one of the most pathetic people I've ever met," Aoshi said to Denethor in disdain, "Boromir spoke of you as an honorable man, but if he was still alive… if only he could see what you've reduced yourself to… "

"…Faramir told me about your fears, that you felt that you would be powerless to stop Sauron when his forces returned. And Théoden is no traitor, whatever you may believe. He still would've come to your aid, but he had suffered much loss with the battle against Saruman. Even when Saruman sent the whole weight of his army against Théoden… he still had the courage to fight back. "

"But look at you… you're ready to run and hide like the frightened coward that you are. It is with these actions such as this, will make the enemy's victory certain. I've known few people like that, but none of them compare to the pathetic state that you're in now. The odds may be against us, but Minas Tirith still has to be defended, even if Gandalf and I have to take command of the battle ourselves. "

"…And I promised Faramir that I would help defend this city… in his place," finished Aoshi, firmly.

Denethor then looked up at Aoshi, weakly replying, "…go forth and fight then… it is vanity. But I warn you; not all will follow Mithrandir and his stooge. It is time now, for all to depart those who would not be slaves… the west has failed."

"We shall see, Denethor," said Aoshi, with a hardened expression.

Gandalf nodded in agreement as he turned to the guards in the courtyard and cried out, "…Prepare for battle!"

Gandalf and Aoshi spared no rest to gather the soldiers for battle. Gandalf rode upon Shadowfax as Aoshi rode upon Thendred, through the winding streets, passing through each band of soldiers that were fleeing from their posts…

"Pull them in!" Gandalf cried out to the frightened soldiers he passed by, "To the wall! Defend the wall!"

Wherever Gandalf came, men's hearts would lift again as the soldiers turned around, following behind Gandalf. However, many of the women and children were frightened beyond their own fears and hid within every corner of Minas Tirith…

"Return to your posts!" Gandalf continued to cry out to the soldiers, tirelessly striding from north to south, from the citadel…

To the first level of Minas Tirith, as Shadowfax bore Gandalf up the stone stairs onto the battlement, near one of the giant catapults the City had for its defense and gazed out at the enemy. Aoshi rode to another part of the battlements, near another giant catapult and looked upon the enemy with a fearless, stone hardened expression, determined to face the enemy head on, as a former leader of the Oniwaban Group…

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss!" Gandalf instructed fiercely.

"Fire! Aoshi ordered his group of men…

And the trebuchets throughout Minas Tirith began their counterattack using their boulders and pieces of their destroyed structures, firing them… straight into the army of Mordor. The orcs watched as the stones landed on their fellow fighters and intended to move out of the way.

"Stay where you are," ordered Gothmog, not allowing his troops to move one muscle.

The Orcs fought back with their catapults, not giving up that easily, but one of their catapults were crushed by the Gondorian boulders. The Gondorians' trebuchets fired more of their structure-damaged material from the city, flying high into the air… and crashed into more Orcs, crushing them like bugs. Gandalf walked about the men, observing the intensity of the battle between the Orcs' catapults and the city's trebuchets.

"We need more rubble!" a soldier called out imperatively, needing more rocky material for firing.

"Watch out!" a soldier cried out as a rock flew towards the outer wall, destroying a part of the wall, flinging several people off.

"Down to the lower level, quick!" a soldier ordered as more soldiers from the citadel, including Pippin, hastily made their way to the lower level to re-enforce the Men there, "double up, men!"

The huge blocks fired from Minas Tirith then began to smash into the siege towers, crushing many of the Orcs that stood upon them. But the defenders were suffering the same amount of damage being flung off the walls by the Orcs' catapult projectiles.

"Keep firing!" Aoshi ordered to the men…

As a very large piece of the destroyed city was launched from a trebuchet, soaring high up into the air. Gothmog watched as it soared through the air towards him…

…The Orcs standing nearby hastily moved, but Gothmog watched as the boulder arched and began its descent. And, at the last moment…

Gothmog moved out of the way, with an angry roar…

SLAM!

And the huge boulder thumped heavily to the ground where he had been standing, nearly crushing him. One of the trolls looked dumbfounded at the Orc leader as he spat on it, contemptuously…

SSCCCCRRRRRRRE EEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another enemy appeared, high above the city… the Ringwraiths, upon their fell beasts, diving from the clouds above, screaming their loudest screeches like they've never screamed before. Their very presence caused dread and fear within the hearts of the defenders as well as the citizens of Minas Tirith. Everywhere, from above and below Minas Tirith, the Ringwraiths swarmed across the White City like tiny little flies that wouldn't go away. Aoshi and Gandalf looked up at their newest foe from the sky, willing to face it, as much as against the Orcs.

The Witch-King of Angmar, leading the aerial assault, heeled his fell beast… and plucked a few solders from the walls, letting them drop harshly onto the ground. The other wraiths' voices rented the air; more unbearable they became not less, at each new cry. At length, the stouthearted soldiers flung themselves to the ground, cowering before the wraiths' shrieking, while into their minds… blackness came, and they thought no more of war, but only of hiding, and of crawling, and of death.

"AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" Pippin cried out in fear, pulling his helmet from his head as he placed his hands over his ears, cowering against a building in terror.

The screams even afflicted Aoshi a little as the screams entered his very mind and soul. He had never had to deal with anything like the Ringwraiths' screaming while fighting at Helm's Deep.

"Hold them back!" Gandalf ordered the men as he walked along the wall, "Do not give into fear! Stay at your posts! Fight!"

"Stand your ground, men!" Aoshi ordered to his band of troops, recovering from his lapse of fear, "do not falter before the wraiths! Keep fighting!"

The soldiers threw off their fear and drew their courage from the White battle commander and Aoshi, and continued to fight back, launching boulders and rubble to destroy many more siege towers, sending the Orcs falling towards the ground. But there were other siege towers that neared the city, filled with thousands of attackers, just enough to breach the walls.

The Nazgûl's Fell Beasts swooped down at the City's defenses, knocking down every trebuchet they saw with their talon-like feet, sending the men stationed, falling to the ground, injuring or killing them. Many of the troops continued cowering and scattering away into the corners of the city, unable to bear the wretched screeching with their hands over their ears. The horrid winged steeds of the Ringwraiths swooped over the cringing soldiers, plucking them up from the battlements… and then released them, high into the air, screaming frightfully in their terror, as they fell to their deaths… crashing into the lower levels of the City.

The buildings were crumbling around the frightened civilians. Pippin was still greatly terrified of the wraiths' screams as he continued to head down towards the lower level with the crowd, but only stood motionless, looking senselessly over his hands… and was pushed down forcibly onto the ground. The Nazgûls nearly destroyed every trebuchet that defended Minas Tirith… and flew off from the city. Suddenly… portals were formed in the sky, allowing several of the wraiths to fly through them… to Kenshin's world.

The remaining siege towers trundled ever closer towards the wall, filled with dozens of Orcs. The men began to fire their arrows at the towers, which only bounced off, harmlessly.

"Not to the towers," Gandalf told the archers, "Aim for the Trolls! Kill the Trolls! Bring them down!"

Aoshi and the Gondorian archers immediately aimed and fired their arrows at the giant beasts that pushed the siege towers of Mordor, and wounded or killed several of them… but it was too late…

The towers were close enough to the wall… and the Orcs within lowered a ramp with a crash, connecting onto the wall and came pouring and swarming out, attacking every Gondorian soldier in sight.

"Fight them back!" ordered Gandalf to the men as he joined the fray, attacking with his staff and sword.

"Kaiten Kenbu Rokuren!" Aoshi cried out, using his super-slicing attack on many of the Orcs.

The Orcs streamed over the walls, as the Gondorians shot the enemy with their arrows, making them fall back from the walls and the top of the siege towers. While in the confusion…

A battalion of Orcs rushed along the ground, bearing a battering ram to beat the gate down with. The Gondorian soldiers, stationed over the gate, shot the Orcs as they began beating the gate.

Pippin then finally reached the first level, but not ready to take on the Orcs, but just stood in silence, nearly sleepwalking, as he watched the Men, and Gandalf and Aoshi fight the enemy. Gandalf and Aoshi soon spotted the dazed Hobbit.

"Peregrin Took!" Gandalf called to Pippin, "go back to the Citadel!"

"They'd called us out to fight," Pippin replied in a small-frightened voice.

"But this is too dangerous, even for you!" Aoshi cried to Pippin as he twirled around, stabbing the Orcs, and kicking them down from the battlements.

Pippin heeded not the warnings of his friends, but only stood, watching the defenders being constantly overrun by the packs of Orcs that have teemed onto the walls from the siege towers. Suddenly… an Orc spotted Pippin looking at him, and began racing to the Hobbit. Pippin gasped frighteningly at the Orc that intended to kill him…

And Gandalf charged at the Orc with a cry, twirling his staff and sword, Glamdring, around, knocking the Orc down.

Gandalf turned back to Pippin, and said, a little exhausted, "This is no place for a Hobbit!"

The Wizard fought off several more Orcs, deftly swinging his staff and sword. Aoshi then spotted an Orc that was running up towards him with an axe. But the shinobi quickly jumped above the Orc… and kicked the creature in the head. Aoshi landed on the ground safely and side-stabbed two Orcs on either side of him. Pippin gasped, a little amazed at Aoshi's skilled coordination.

Gandalf battled on, fighting the Orcs, twirling his staff, and stabbing the Orcs with Glamdring. Then, one of the Orcs came up behind Gandalf, with his sword raised high, while the Wizard was busy fighting another Orc. Aoshi saw the Orc's surprise attack attempted upon Gandalf and rushed to his aid…

But Pippin quickly, yet surprisingly moved without thinking… and hastily stabbed the creature in the chest with his small blade. Gandalf and Aoshi froze in shock to Pippin's fearless feat as the Orc gasped his last breaths… and fell to the ground, dead. Pippin also couldn't believe what he did as he gazed upon his blade, stained with Orc blood. Aoshi and Gandalf then looked at each other with both pride and surprise at the Hobbit's unthinking heroism.

"Guard of the citadel, indeed," said Gandalf, congratulating Pippin with a smile, "now, back, up the hill! Quickly! Quick!"

Pippin nodded and hastily made his exit, running back up the steps behind him.

The Orcs at the gate used their ram with all their strength mustered, beating at it… but the gate didn't seem to shake or rattle in the slightest, as the Gondorians shot more arrows at the Orcs, killing them. Heaps upon heaps of dead Orcs piled on top of each other, every time the Orcs were using their ram. Seeing this… the Orcs began to flee, which didn't please Gothmog…

"What are you doing, you useless scum!" Gothmog snarled, angered by his troops' cowardice.

"The door won't give," one of the Orcs reported, "its too strong!"

Gothmog glanced back at the gate, seeing his troops' failed attempts to break the door and more of them being killed, shot down by the defenders… but refused to back down nonetheless.

"Get back there and smash it down!" Gothmog commanded strongly.

"But nothing can breach it," returned the Orc.

Gothmog then settled himself a moment… as an evil twinkle began to emit within his eyes…

"…Grond will breach it," said Gothmog suggestively with a wicked smile, and ordered, "…bring up the wolf's head."

Later on, as hours passed by…

Great, one-horned beasts crawled across the field… and what they pulled was a large wooden frame. Behind the frame, massive mountain trolls pushed it laboriously, assisting the horned creatures that pulled it. And Orcs surrounded it in escort, as the other troops began sounding off…

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

The Orcs cheered out repeatedly and endlessly, raising their swords, spears, and axes in a great salute as they made way a path for the beasts that pulled the structure…

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND!

'What in the world is that monstrosity?' Aoshi thought dreadfully as he and Gandalf peered over the wall with serious, yet fearful faces as they saw what the beasts were bringing forth, inside the structure…

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

It was a huge ram, founded of black steel, shaped in the likeness of a ravening wolf creature, long forging in the dark smithies of Mordor. Grond, they named the ram, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld, wielded by Morgoth. The ram was great as a forest tree, a hundred feet in length, swinging on mighty chains from within the frame. Spells of ruin were engraved all over it. And from the ram's eyes and its gapping jaws… fire flickered, lit by the same dark sorcery that lit the fires within the trenches at Pelennor Fields.

The defenders could see that the massive weight of the ram could shake the gates easily… as well as their hope to keep Minas Tirith standing. The ram could not be stopped…

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!

GROND…!


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c