Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 67: All Shall Fade, The Sacrifice of Faramir.

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power. 

A/n: I would like to dedicate this chapter in memory of Pope John Paul II, who died on Saturday. His service to the world had a great impact on many people, especially all the Christians. He will be dearly missed. Also, I have a little surprise for you all at the end of the chapter… that I think that you'll enjoy.

Faramir, son of Denethor, the Steward of Gondor went into the armory along with 200 other men and prepared himself for his mission to re-take Osgiliath from Mordor's armies. Faramir adorned himself with armor as many others did. With Denethor set on re-taking Osgiliath, Faramir felt that he could no longer reason with his father… about anything.

Aoshi came into the armory, looking upon the faces of the soldiers of Gondor who will join along in this futile mission. Even after seeing all this… it reminded him more of his companions of the Oniwaban Group, and how they all died needlessly… according to Aoshi. Faramir turned to face Aoshi, just entering into the armory.

"My lord Aoshi," said Faramir, "I didn't expect to see you here."

"…You know that this isn't necessary, Faramir," stated Aoshi, "if the numbers are as great as you say, you will fall easily in your attempt to reclaim Osgiliath. Despite what I think about your father, I'm not asking you not to love him anymore. That would be the last thing I would ever think about suggesting to you. But I believe that you still have a part to play in the defense, as well as the future of Gondor, even with your brother's death."

"Aoshi," explained Faramir, "…I have long wished for the respect and admiration of my father, and I do love him. He looked to Boromir for everything and made him so proud. Boromir had defended me many times to my father with words and deeds, but father would always rebuke him… and me as well. Now that Boromir is dead, I shall never receive his support ever again. And though I know that my father sends me needlessly into peril, unthanked and unblessed, and will surely perish… I will not question his order."

"Faramir… I do not think your father wants you to die," Aoshi responded firmly, yet lightly, "I could sense the uneasiness in his voice, even though it appeared he strongly wished that you died instead of Boromir. So your brother's support may not have been completely ineffective upon Denethor as much as you think it has. If you die… I imagine that your father will suffer greatly from your loss."

Faramir contemplated what Aoshi said for a moment…

"I believed Pippin when he said that you have a different kind of strength Faramir," Aoshi continued, "but now you think that it is meaningless to try to get your father to see it and so you would throw your life and your strengths away without a second thought. I tried to do that myself, Faramir… to prove that the Oniwaban group was the strongest of my world… "

"…Like you Faramir… I also wanted to have a chance to show my quality, because back in my world when it was in a period of civil war about 10 years ago, the Oniwaban Group never had the chance to fight in that battle. I wanted my group to have the reputation of being known as the best in Japan, by defeating Kenshin Himura, the Battousai, because he was known as the strongest of the Revolution. "

"And for that, I was willing to throw away everything… my pride, compassion, good, evil… even my own comrades. I personally sought out the path of a soldier of chaos, not only to claim the title of the strongest by beating Himura… but to end my own revolution, as well as my life as the last leader of the Oniwaban. I did it all to lay the legacy and flower of the strongest, upon the graves of four men that died to save me at one point."

Faramir was completely captivated by what Aoshi was telling him…

Aoshi went on further, "However, Himura made me realize that my sprit was weak by challenging him with this thought. In the end, I was only wielding a deadly sword of evil and blamed my comrades for the grievous acts that I have committed in the past. The guilt of letting my four comrades die… had taken a toll upon my mind. I lied to myself, saying and believing that I was doing it for them, by hiding in the shadow of my determination to become the strongest, shutting my mind away from reality.

"…You mentioned earlier that there were perils in which a man must flee. And for me, my greatest peril was fooling myself to believe that my path to death was a righteous, noble cause," Aoshi ended.

Faramir paused a moment, before he replied, asking, "…why are you telling me all this now?"

"You said that you wanted to learn more of me… and I thought that this was a good time as any," said Aoshi, which made Faramir feel a little at ease, "also, you should know that it's very easy to want to throw away everything… even your life. And I think that Boromir must've done exactly the same thing when the guilt of being corrupted by the ring and trying to take it from Frodo, had weighed heavily upon his mind. Even now… you feel so much guilt of failing your father, that you consider your own life to be of little importance, and would throw it away instantly.

"Perhaps you feel that this is the only way to convince your father that you do love him, just as well as Boromir did," amended Aoshi, "…but from what you told me earlier, it seems that Denethor also had some problems with Boromir, even if he did make him proud. If you still wanted the chance to go to Rivendell, knowing that you could have, despite the fact that Boromir was selected to go… would you do it?"

"…Now that you ask that, Aoshi," answered Faramir somberly, "…I would've somehow disguised myself and followed my brother to the House of Lord Elrond. By then, I would've had the chance to meet the rest of your friends, and I would've been more apt to the purpose of destroying the ring. But knowing my father, he would've found out easily. It is very difficult to deceive him, and dangerous to even try. My father is old… but not yet dotard."

Aoshi contemplated Faramir's response, as Denethor had hinted to him earlier that he did see more well than anyone else.

"…I don't only do this for my father, Aoshi," added Faramir, "…but for Minas Tirith and its people, whom it is my part to protect as you have said before. This is the city of the Men of Numenor… I will gladly give my life to defend her beauty, her memory, her wisdom."

Aoshi nodded affirmatively, responding, "yes… I completely understand your reasons Faramir. I thought the same thing when I swore to protect Edo Castle… but is that how you truly feel…?"

Faramir paused in his standing…

Then a soldier called to Faramir, "Captain Faramir, we must leave now!"

Faramir nodded in affirmation at the soldier who interrupted before he could answer Aoshi's question.

Faramir then turned to Aoshi, "…Aoshi, promise me one thing: if I should fall… take up my place in the defense of Minas Tirith."

"…I will," Aoshi slowly nodded sadly.

Faramir then began to walk out of the armory…

"Just one thing Faramir," Aoshi called out to Faramir, who then stood in his standing, "I personally think that it should've been you who came to Rivendell, with, or without your brother. You said that Boromir was always the soldier. But I think that you're a different kind of soldier. And this is definitely the place where all kinds of soldiers should be, in this current hour of desperate trial."

With no more exchanges… Faramir slowly walked out of the armory, while Aoshi looked on. Even though Aoshi never received an answer from Faramir about his true feelings… he felt that Faramir was beginning to ponder upon it.

Faramir and his company of 200 soldiers went to the stables to gather their horses for the futile mission to reclaim Osgiliath from the overwhelming forces that now occupy the ruined city. The soldiers slowly and somberly rode through the city. They rode, heavily armored through the city to the city gates, their families, watching with solemn sadness, some with tears…

The people of the city, one by one, lining the streets, watched them as they go by, with solemn, sad looks of despair mirrored on all of their faces. Some to many of the women had tears in their eyes, as some of the men on this mission were husbands… brothers… cousins… even fathers to their children…

Not a single happy face was seen in the crowd, everyone was grieved, even the children who came into the streets to see their fathers leave on this mission that was inevitably doomed to fail. The women threw flowers at the horses' feet, as they passed and some of the women handed small bouquets to the soldiers.

Faramir rode up front as he continued to think of his father, who had now condemned him to death, as he fully well knew. As Faramir rode down the street… he pondered more upon what Aoshi said to him about his true feelings, though he had a resolute face. He was at war with a corner of his own mind once more, just as he was when he nearly brought the ring back to Minas Tirith. But it did not make him turn back or dismount from his horse. Faramir especially felt great pity for his father, and his increasing paranoia to any suggestions made by anyone… especially his own children.

Gandalf then came shifting throughout the crowds, "Faramir! Faramir!" He cried out.

Soon, he was walking besides Faramir and his horse as he implored, "Your father's will has turned to madness! Do not throw away your life so rashly."

"Where does my allegiance lie, if not here," said Faramir resolutely, not looking down upon Gandalf, nor hesitating in the least as he continued forth down the lower levels, towards the gates of Minas Tirith.

"Your father loves you, Faramir!" Gandalf called out silently to Faramir.

Faramir did not look back, resolute still in his purpose, as he heard the wizard, remembering that Aoshi said something similar to him before he rode out…

"…He will remember it, before the end," added Gandalf, to himself.

The soldiers finally reached the first level of Minas Tirith at the front gates. The guards unlocked the gate… and slowly pulled it open, letting Faramir and his men out of Minas Tirith. And in the distance, across the Pelennor, Osgiliath sat beneath a darkening sky. As the people in behind the gate saw the sky… their hopes were lowered even more as the soldiers left towards the darkness in the sky.


Outside Minas Tirith…

The soldiers slowly formed a line, in ranks of riders, and began to ride toward Osgiliath across Pelennor fields, the riders moving side by side in a long line. The people of Minas Tirith lined the walls to watch them go towards the city, while on the top level… Aoshi walked from the citadel towards the edge of the crag to see for himself, the doom of Faramir's mission…

The knights and rangers beside them spurred their horses to race… and charge toward Osgiliath, determined to re-take the city head on…

At Osgiliath… Gothmog and the Orcs in the ruined city raised their heads from behind broken boulders, and watch the oncoming riders…

Faramir and his men, with their pride unwavering, continued to ride towards Osgiliath, whether they live or die in the attempt…


Denethor continued to eat his food in the great hall at the Citadel. Pippin was in the Hall with him, standing sadly beside the Steward, with his thoughts on Faramir. Denethor then looked up from his plate and glanced sideways at the Hobbit.

"Can you sing, Master Hobbit?" asked Denethor.

"…Well… yes," answered Pippin in a small voice, "at least… well enough for my own people."

"But we have no songs for great halls," Pippin added as he gazed around the Hall and sadly at Denethor, "and… evil times."

"And why should your songs be unfit for my halls?" Denethor asked grimly, while eating his meal, "…come, sing me a song."

Pippin contemplated his lord for several moments as he watched him eat more of his dinner when he bit into a tomato, with the juices flowing. Pippin seemed in thought, as if he was trying to find the words to one of the old Hobbit songs… one in particular he heard his grandfather sing once, that came from the time when the Hobbits were searching for the Shire. The Hobbit then took a deep breath and began to sing… in a sorrowful, yet very haunting voice…


Home is behind ...

The world ahead…

And there are many paths to tread…

As Pippin was singing… Faramir and his men increased their speed towards Osgiliath. Faramir pulled out his sword and gave a resounding battle cry…

Through shadow…

To the edge of night…!

Until the stars are all alight…

The Orcs of Osgiliath, grinning wickedly at the number of soldiers that they had against them, began to pull out their bows and arrows, to which they prepared to shoot at the soldiers…

Mist and Shadow…

Cloud and shade…

Faramir, unaware of the assault of arrows, but fully prepared to accept his fate, continued forth, with his face hardened…

'I'm coming, Boromir,' thought Faramir sadly, maintaining his battle-hardened expression, with the men following him…

All shall fade…

All shall…

Gothmog roared his order to the Orcs…

SWOOP!!!!

And the Orcs fired their arrows at the knights, meeting their marks, one by one…


"…Fade," Pippin finished his song.

Pippin then turned to look at the Steward, who indeed listened to every word that he sang out, yet continued to eat his food like a sloppy animal throughout the singing. The Hobbit could see that Denethor was unmoved by his singing… and was close to tears as he closed his eyes and swallowed the lump in his throat, beginning to cry…

Aoshi saw what befell Faramir and his men and looked down sadly with his eyes closed as well. Part of him cursed himself, being unable to save Faramir from his suicide run as Kenshin had saved him from his own suicide run. He was not Kenshin Himura, but Aoshi Shinomori, former leader of the Oniwaban Group, whose skills were greatly needed at Minas Tirith from the impending invasion of the Orcs.

'Faramir,' thought Aoshi, resolutely, with fists clenched, '…I will help defend Minas Tirith… I swear it.'

The people also observed what befell their kinsman and began to cry for them all. While everyone was mourning, Gandalf sat alone silently and somberly on a rock in a courtyard, with his staff close to him. One bell was ringing solemnly, in remembrance of the fallen soldiers.

But as the people mourned…

All of Mordor's army and its allies were massing towards Gondor… as more Orcs were crossed the river at Osgiliath.

"March! March!" the Orcs cried out repeatedly, "March! March! March!"

Giant Trolls were beating their drums of war, and some others were pushing tall, wooden siege towers that carried legions of Orcs upon them…

The Haradrim, upon their Oliphaunt beasts, were proceeding to Gondor across the Deserts of Harad…

And the Corsairs of Umbar were sailing north, along the Anduin River upon their large black sailed ships, laying siege and waste to Pelagir, Belfalas, and Lebennin.

"Come on!" the disheveled captain of the fleet commanded his men to sail swiftly to Minas Tirith…

The enemy was now ready to take Minas Tirith… and burn it to the ground.


A/n: Not a very long chapter, folks. Short, but sad indeed. As I have said, it is in dedication to Pope John Paul, II. I heard that he was from Poland originally, and that the Popes of old were from Italy mostly. So, he was the first Pope from another country. My Grandparents had a chance to see the Vatican when they were in Rome on vacation, but missed the bus and didn't get the chance to see it.

I felt bad when I heard that the Pope was at his final hours. I pray that he'll find happiness in the next life with God.

2nd A/n: Now, for the surprise everyone…

I NOW HAVE A JOB! I NOW HAVE A JOB! I NOW HAVE A JOB! I NOW HAVE A JOB! I NOW HAVE A JOB!!!!!!

That's right, everyone, I'm going to be working soon. I start on Monday, May 2. So, that gives me one month at least to relax and enjoy myself, and maybe edit the rest of my fic, if I can. But other than that, I don't have to worry about me looking for work anymore.

Oh, one more thing, Pippin's song wasn't originally in the script when the movie was being filmed. It was just going to be dialogue and looks, and done with the cutting and the music, so Peter Jackson says. I got that statement, while watching the special features of the ROTK extended DVD.

Anyway, please read and review… and any lamentations you have for the Pope are welcome. Bye.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c