Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 39: One of the Dunedain, Aragorn dreams of Arwen

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

A/n: Sorry I took so long to post. I'm so busy writing Section 3 at the moment, since I did all principle writing for Section 2, just like how Peter Jackson was filming the trilogy simultaneously. By the way, do you remember my dedication to my father in Sec. 1, Ch. 20? Well, today, Apr. 21, is his birthday. He would've been 51 today. I'm sorry that he didn't reach that age. I miss him very much. So, anyway, here's the next chapter. .

The Rohan refugees continued their perilous journey towards Helm's Deep. The guards and sentries kept watch over the civilians for any signs of danger. The journey itself may be perilous… but not without some frivolous chatter by Gimli. He was talking with Éowyn and Sanosuke, while on a horse.

"It's true," said Gimli, "neither of you don't see many Dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, heh… that they're often mistaken for Dwarf men."

"Oh really?" asked Sanosuke.

"Indeed, Sanosuke."

Éowyn smiled and looked back at Aragorn, who rode along Théoden, Aoshi, and Saito. They, in turn were hearing the entire conversation between Sanosuke, Éowyn, and Gimli.

Aragorn made a hand gesture over his chin as he whispered to Eowyn, "…It's the beards… "

Éowyn laughed in return as Saito humped at Aragorn's way of fun.

'It's gotta be the beards,' thought Sanosuke with a grin, 'women with beards, that's a new one. It makes you think the Dwarves are all gay.'

Gimli went on, "And this, in turn, has given rise to the belief that there are no Dwarf women. And that dwarves just spring… out of holes in the ground!"

This remark made Sanosuke and Éowyn laugh gaily.

Gimli laughed as well, "Hehehe! Which is of course ridiculous-- whoa!!!

Gimli's horse suddenly reared up… and galloped away as Éowyn lost her hold on the reins. Gimli fell off after a short distance and lands with a loud thump.

"Whoa!" said Sanosuke, grinning, "Easy Gimli. You ought to be more careful."

"Ooh!" Éowyn gasped happily as she and Sanosuke rushed forward to Gimli. The others behind Gimli laughed a little, as well as Saito.

'It's nice to have some comedy relief here,' thought Saito, with a smirk.

"It's alright, it's alright," Gimli said while struggling to get up, "nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate."

Sanosuke and Éowyn helped Gimli up and brushed him off.

"You're a riot," said Sanosuke, "you know that, Gimli?"

"I'll show you a riot, Sanosuke!" replied Gimli, roughly.

While Gimli and Sanosuke were bickering, Éowyn kept brushing the remaining grass off of the Dwarf, not paying any mind to the argument.

Théoden then said to the others with him as he observed Éowyn closely, "I haven't seen my niece smile for a long time."

"You must be very happy to see her smile, Théoden," said Aoshi.

"…Indeed I am, Aoshi," replied Théoden, solemnly.

"She had a sad life?" asked Aragorn, deducing Éowyn's probable life of hardship.

Théoden paused a moment before he answered, "…She was only was a girl when they brought her father back dead, cut down by Orcs. She watched her mother succumb to grief. Then she was left alone, to tend to her king, in growing fear… doomed to wait upon an old man… who should have loved her like a father."

As Théoden finished his sad explanation with self-loathing… he rode off away from Aragorn as he and Aoshi deeply felt sorry for Éowyn, living such a hard life as told to them by the king.

'…Misao was like that,' thought Aoshi, 'when I left her with Okina to travel on my own. Only… she wishes to see my smile, as you were glad to see your niece smile.

'…I really hope that Éowyn meets Misao soon. She may yet realize that she has a kindred spirit within her.'

Éowyn looked back at Aragorn with the sun behind her and the wind in her hair. She smiled at him for a brief moment… but then lowered her expression, when she noticed the somber look upon Aragorn.


The refugees made camp later on. Éowyn moved amongst the crowds with a homemade stew that she had prepared, in which she offered to various folk. Suddenly… she saw Gimli walking towards her.

"…Gimli," Éowyn called to the Dwarf, wanting to offer him the stew.

As Gimli came to the stew he recoiled quickly before striding away, "No, I couldn't. I really couldn't."

Éowyn then went to Aragorn, who was polishing his sword. Sanosuke was sitting beside the Ranger.

"Hey, Éowyn," said Sanosuke, "you got something good to eat?"

"…Yes, Sanosuke," replied Éowyn, feeling a little nervous, "I made some stew. It isn't much, but it's hot."

Éowyn then lowered her pot onto the ground and dipped a bowl into the stew. She then lent it towards Aragorn, along with a wooden spoon. Aragorn politely took the bowl and spoon, and glanced up at her.

"…Thank you," he said kindly.

Éowyn turned to Sanosuke and asked, "Would you like some, Sanosuke?"

"Uh, no thanks," replied Sanosuke, "I had plenty to eat already."

Aragorn then stirred the contents of the stew, which looked unappetizing, and knowing there was nothing else he could do, he scooped up a mouthful. As he did… he froze in silence, like there was something in the stew that he didn't like, trying not to gag. Éowyn watched anxiously, with a worried look, seeing Aragorn's reaction, which was also noticed by Sanosuke.

'…Let me guess,' thought Sanosuke, grimly, 'Éowyn's cooking is just as bad as the missie's.'

Aragorn came out of his daze and finished swallowing the stew that he had in his mouth. After a few moments of silence… Aragorn nodded at Éowyn, hiding his obvious distaste of the stew.

"Its good," he croaked.

"Really?" asked a smiling, pleased Éowyn, as she started to walk away.

Aragorn then turned to Sanosuke, who gestured with his head to dump the tasteless stew onto the ground. The Ranger nodded a little, agreeing with the street fighter, and began to pour the stew onto the ground beside him…

"My Uncle told me a strange thing," Éowyn said suddenly as she began to turn around, making Aragorn stop pouring the stew onto the ground, righting his bowl again, not without spilling some stew on his hands, making him wince a little painfully.

'…Why doesn't Aragorn just drop the bowl,' thought an embarrassed Sanosuke.

Éowyn then walked towards Aragorn, as he tried to look at her attentively, and added, "He said that you rode to war with Thengel, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken."

"King Théoden has a good memory," said Aragorn, confirming what Théoden said to her, "he was only a small child at the time."

"Yeah, the king and Aragorn were kinda… childhood buddies," interjected Sanosuke.

Aragorn paused as he told Sanosuke, "…Actually Sano… I was but a fully grown man when I first met the king."

"Huh?" said a bemused Sanosuke, "…You mean… the king's… younger… than you are?"

Aragorn nodded, a little sheepishly. He did insinuate a little to Sanosuke, back at Edoras, that there was more to his and Théoden's relationship than just being childhood friends. Éowyn was bemused, as well as baffled, as Sanosuke was…

"…Then you must be at least 60," Éowyn assessed, in disbelief, as she squatted down to meet Aragorn at eye-level.

But… Aragorn shook his head, a little, peering into his bowl as he said quietly, "…No."

"…Seventy?" inquired Éowyn, gasping.

Aragorn shook his head again, as Sanosuke became even more bewildered…

"…You cannot be 80," said Éowyn, gasping a little more…

Aragorn then smiled a little nervously looking at both Sanosuke and Éowyn, sensing that they both wanted to know his real age. The ranger knew that he had to say how old he really was…

"…87," Aragorn said eventually…

"AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!" hollered Sanosuke, "…e… ei, eighty-seven?! Y… y… you're just not human, are you? You must be some kind of a monster!"

Aragorn smiled with amusement, almost laughing, as he liked the way Sanosuke was reacting. Éowyn just stared at Aragorn, neither ranting nor raving, but filled with great awe.

"Are you part elf or something?" Sanosuke asked frantically, "Or have you been messing with that ring?"

"No," said Éowyn as she stood up with realization, "…I know what he is… he is one of the Dunedain."

"The what?" Sanosuke asked for clarification.

"…I am one of the Dunedain, Sano," Aragorn clarified.

"Who the heck are they?"

"He is one of the descendants of Numenor, blessed with long life," Éowyn answered for Sanosuke, and said to Aragorn, "it was said that your race had passed into legend."

"There are few of us left," explained Aragorn, "the Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago."

"Well, if that's the case," interjected Sanosuke, "I can tell you guys something about Kenshin. He looks like someone in his late teenage years, but he's actually 28 years old."

"28?" asked Éowyn.

"Yeah," answered Sanosuke, "and it's like the same with his master. He also looks young, but is also 43 years old. And now, there's you Aragorn."

Aragorn listened with curiosity…

"…You look like someone in you mid to late 40's but, you're telling us you're 87? I'm starting to think that the Hiten Mitsurugi Style is some kind of magic that was made by you Dune-- whatever you people are."

Aragorn and Éowyn could not help but giggle at their friend's frantic notions about the Dunedain, which Sanosuke didn't take as lightly.

"Hey, it isn't funny!" he said, a little upset.

Respecting Sanosuke's wishes, Aragorn and Éowyn stopped giggling, as they didn't want to insult him any more than he felt that he had been.

"…Oh… I'm sorry Sanosuke," said Éowyn.

"If what you say about Kenshin's age is true," intoned Aragorn, "then I certainly would think that he must be one of my people, Sano."

"Well, anyway," said Éowyn, "I see that I've overstayed my welcome."

"Don't feel that it is a burden, my lady," Aragorn assured her, "Sano and I enjoyed your company."

"Thank you. Please… eat the rest of your meal, Aragorn," said Éowyn, remembering that Aragorn still had the stew in his hand that was probably getting cold.

Aragorn had wished that he had gotten rid of the stew that he didn't like to well. So, he continued to eat the stew, trying not to make Éowyn feel any worse that she felt when she had inquired about him, or his origins.

Seeing Aragorn eat more of the tasteless stew Sanosuke thought to himself, a little disgusted, '…even Aragorn's more brave as Kenshin when he eats something that doesn't taste very good.'


Night fell upon the camp. Everyone was asleep, except Aragorn. Aragorn could not sleep and smoked his pipe, as there was nothing else to think about… except the safety of the people of Rohan, with the help of Sanosuke, Saito, Aoshi, Legolas, and Gimli. When Aragorn continued to smoke… he began to hear very bewitching, yet enchanting voices inside his head…

The voices of his elf-lady love, Arwen…

The light of the Evenstar does not wax and wane…

It is mine to give to whom I will...

Like my heart…

Go to sleep…

"…I am asleep," replied Aragorn…

Then next thing he knew… Aragorn was lying on a chaise, in a very enchanting, peaceful place, with his eyes closed. He slowly opened his eyes and looked upon the lovely Arwen before him, smiling down at him.

"…This is a dream," said an enchanted Aragorn.

"Then it is a good dream," Arwen said quietly, bending down to kiss him.

Arwen then slowly kissed her lover lightly and passionately… on the lips. Aragorn returned her kiss, as he reached up his hand to gently caress her cheek. His kiss was just as breath taking when Arwen kissed him. After moments of passion… Arwen released Aragorn's lips…

"…Sleep," she whispered once more… as she kissed her lover's face.

Arwen then slowly rose from Aragorn… and stepped away to look out from the window, looking at the waterfall that was just outside their room. Aragorn closed his eyes, after enjoying the moment of passion he just received. He then opened his eyes slowly… and turned his head to look over at Arwen…

"Min lû pennich nin, (You told me once)," said Aragorn silently, "…i aur hen telitha (…this day would come)."

Arwen turned to face Aragorn with her reply, "Ú i vethed... nâ i onnad. Boe bedich go Frodo… boe bedich go Kenshin. Han bâd lîn (This is not the end… it is the beginning. You must go with Frodo… you must go with Kenshin. That is your path)."

Aragorn smiled a little when Arwen mentioned Kenshin's name. He felt as if that Arwen sensed something inside Kenshin that was just as burdensome as he was. In a way, he also sensed the same burdens within Kenshin as well. However, Aragorn still felt a little uncertain about his true path as he stood up from the chaise and walked slowly over to Arwen.

"Dolen i vâd o nin (My path is hidden from me)," said Aragorn, sadly

"Si peliannen i vâd na dail lîn. Si boe ú-dhannathach (It is already laid before your feet. You cannot falter now).

"…Arwen--"

"Shh… " Arwen hushed him, resting her fingers on his lips, "ae ú-esteliach nad... (If you trust nothing else)…

"Estelio han (Trust this)," Arwen said, as she slowly moved her hand down Aragorn's neck to rest her hand on the Evenstar pendant, "…estelio ammen (Trust us)."

Aragorn then laid his hand on hers, clasping it into his hands. He wanted to believe his Elf-lady love so much. And part of him actually did. He wanted to obey her to trust their love for each other. However… Aragorn remained conflicted, being endlessly burdened with the sins of his ancestor, Isildur, even when he and Arwen gazed into each other's eyes, for mere loving, yet breathless moments…

And together… they both shared a brace of warm… loving… passionate kisses. Aragorn and Arwen then looked into each other's eyes once more as Aragorn laid his hands gently on her neck, sliding them up to her elegantly pointed ears…

They kissed again, turning their warming loving kisses of passion… into long moments of heated desperation for each other. The lovers have both signified that they've sworn to be with each other… for the rest of their lives.


A/n: I especially thank Cyblade Silver, for your condolences for my father. If you're reading this, I'm grateful for it. By the way, I hope you like how I'm putting in Aragorn's scenes with Arwen, since I think they're important. And if you're all wondering how many chapters of Section 3 that I've completed so far…

I've done 13 chapters already and am now on chapter 14. I just thought you all ought to know, that's all. Anyway, please read and review. I'd appreciate it.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c