Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 35: Gandalf's Exorcism, The king of the Golden Hall is free

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

At the city of Edoras, in the Golden Hall, Eowyn wept slowly and silently beside her cousin, Théodred, who has just died. Eowyn was even more crushed at the thought of her uncle, the king, who was now aged beyond aging due to Saruman's spell. Théoden's will, to rule Rohan, has now been taken from him.

Eowyn kisses her dead cousin's hand, still weeping. She would've been weeping peacefully if it weren't for the appearance of Wormtongue as he crept inside of the room.

"Oh, he," said Wormtongue smoothly, "…he must've died s- sometime in the night."

Wormtongue proceeded further into the room as he went on, with seeming sympathy, "…What a tragedy for the king to lose his only son and heir…"

Then he sat on the bed and put his hand on her shoulder, "…I understand… his passing is hard to accept… especially now that your brother has deserted you."

"Leave me alone, you snake!" Eowyn shouted as she jumped back, throwing off the counselor's hand.

"Oh, but you are alone," Wormtongue said maliciously. He stood up and moved closer to Eowyn, circling around her…

"…Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness…

"In the bitter watches of the night… ".

"When all your life seems to shrink… "

"The walls of your bower closing in about you… "

"A hutch to trammel some wild thing in… "

"…So fair," Wormtongue went on smoothly, yet maliciously, as he slowly caressed her cheek and her throat "…so cold, like a morning of pale spring, still clinging to winter's chill…"

Wormtongue and Eowyn stared at each other intently. Eowyn was tempted… and seduced, by his touching yet slimy speech, so much so, that she began to weep silently. The temptation was at first pleasing to her… but she would rather die than be tempted by Wormtongue's eerie charm…

"…Your words are poison!" she spat.

Eowyn then stormed out of the chamber… and out of the Hall, where she continued to weep, looking into the distance. The breeze of the wind blows softly and passionately across her face, letting her hair fly and cover her face with it.

After a few, sorrowful moments… Eowyn looked down to see a company of riders heading towards Edoras. It was Kenshin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Sanosuke, Legolas, Gimli, Saito, and Aoshi on five horses. As she continued to stare at the riders…

Eowyn heard a tearing sound and glanced up to see the wind take the white horse banner from its pole and send it flying over the city toward the newly arrived riders at the gates of the city.


The riders then began to pass through the entrance. When Aragorn started to pass through… the banner with the white horse floated down, landing and settling near him. Aragorn looked at the banner for a moment and then turned away and entered through the gates of Edoras.

The City of Edoras stood silently, somberly and peacefully upon its large hill with the snowy mountainside in the background. The city was like some ancient Viking village with many homes made of wood, save for the Golden Hall, which was made from stone, with a wooden lofty roof.

The travelers followed Gandalf strolling on their horses, in file behind him. Many dark doors and many somber people the travelers did pass. The local folk of Edoras, dressed in black stared at the newcomers in wary silence. Kenshin and the others stared back at them, not saying a word to them in return. Aragorn looked up at the hall… and saw a lady in white standing on the steps. He then cast down his gaze at more of the unnaturally quiet people, feeling deep sorrows for their distress.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," Gimli said, pitying the people.

"Well," added Sanosuke, "Gandalf did say not to expect any welcome, Gimli."

"Yes, that's true, Sanosuke."

Saito heard a little of the conversation.

'I'm not surprised, you morons,' he thought as he looked continuously at the wary people, '…I've seen cases like these before, dozens of times. This is hardly an exception.'

Sanosuke then turned to Gandalf and asked, "Hey, Gandalf, how long has this Wormtongue creep been hypnotizing the king?"

"Who could ever know how far back his treachery goes, Sanosuke," answered Gandalf as he explained to everyone, "…he was not always evil. Once I do not doubt that he was the friend of Rohan. And even when his heart grew colder, he still found Theoden useful.

"But for long now… he has plotted the king's ruin, wearing the mask of friendship… until he was ready."

'Just like how Captain Sagara and the Sekihoutai were used by those dirty politicians of the Meiji Government,' Sanosuke thought angrily to himself.

"…And there's no doubt in my mind that Saruman used this fact about Wormtongue in order to gain his services, so they could poison the king together, bringing about the downfall of Rohan," finished Gandalf.

While looking at the people, Kenshin noticed that Aragorn looked up again.

"What is it Aragorn?" Kenshin asked him.

"…I saw," replied Aragorn, musing, "…a lady, dressed in white upon the Hall. Now she has disappeared."

Kenshin looked up where Aragorn was looking at and mused very deeply at Aragorn's gazing upon the Golden Hall.


After dismounting their horses, the company immediately proceeded up the stairs to the Hall. As they reached the top, guards immediately met them, blocking the entrance. The chief guard, Hama, came up to Gandalf.

"Ah," Gandalf said as he looked at Hama.

"I cannot," announced Hama, "allow you before Theoden-King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of… Grima Wormtongue."

Gandalf nods in understanding and signaled for the others to surrender their weapons. Kenshin kindly gave his reverse-blade sword over to the guards. Aragorn gave his sword to them and then unsheathed his dagger and hands it over. Gandalf then gave Glamdring to the guards.

"Catch," said Saito as he threw his sword over to the guards. They caught the sword leaving Saito smirking with the greatest pleasure.

Legolas gave a twirl to his knives before handing them over to the guards as well as giving his bow to the guards. Aoshi unsheathed his twin kodachis and threw them over to the guards also as well as his bow. Gimli looked at his axe as he breathed for a brief moment and reluctantly gave it to them.

The guards turned to Sanosuke next. He stated, "Hey, don't look at me guys. I don't have any weapons on me, except my fists."

Hama then gestured to Gandalf, "Your staff."

"Hmm?" Gandalf wondered as he glanced at his staff.

"Oh," Gandalf went on, looking innocently at Hama, "…no, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?"

Hama hesitated for a second… and then gestures that they follow him into the Hall. Gandalf gave Aragorn and Kenshin a little wink and entered the Hall.

'These people,' thought Saito, 'are sorry excuses for guards. They allowed a wizard to carry his staff, which is his great weapon, before their king. This must be how Saruman was able to take control of their king. And by the looks of the king, it looks like Saruman has a great hold over him as Gandalf said.'

Hama went in first to bow his greeting to the king. Inside, the travelers observed that it seemed dark and warm after the clear air upon the hill. The Hall was long and wide, filled with shadows and half lights; mighty pillars upheld its lofty roof. The floor was paved with many stones of many hues; branching runes and strange devices intertwined beneath their feet. Many cloths were hung upon the walls. And a wood-fire was burning upon the long hearth in the midst of the hall.

Legolas and Aoshi helped Gandalf inside, skillfully keeping the staff lowered. The company looked on at the old king on the throne and pity what he has become, due to Saruman. Wormtongue sits beside Theoden, awaiting the travelers.

'Theoden,' thought Kenshin, '…I pity what Saruman has done to you, that I do. The man who is sitting beside Theoden keeps very close to him. It must be so that he can control Theoden. Then he is undoubtedly the counselor who is in fact, Saruman's agent, Grima Wormtongue.'

Wormtongue maliciously whispered to the enslaved Theoden, "My lord, Gandalf the Grey is coming."

The doors of the Hall then closed behind the new arrivals. They, in turn, looked back, watching the guard bar and seal the door…

"He's a herald of woe," Wormtongue added to Theoden.

"The courtesy of your hall," mentioned Gandalf, "is somewhat lessened of late… Theoden-King."

As Gandalf began to approach Théoden, the others pulled back to survey the hall and its hostile occupants. Groups of men started to follow their steps… with hostility…

'Man,' thought Sanosuke, 'this doesn't look good. It looks like these guys are ready to fight. But that's okay, I've got a surprise up my sleeve, or rather in my fist, in store for them.'

"He is not welcome," Wormtongue whispered again to Theoden.

"Why… should I… welcome you" Theoden stutters as he looked to Wormtongue for affirmation, "…Gandalf Stormcrow…?"

"A just question, my liege," responded Wormtongue.

Wormtongue then stood up and walked toward Gandalf. "Late is the hour," he announces, "in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell, I name him. Ill news is an ill guest."

"Be silent!" Gandalf spat, "keep your forked tongue behind your teeth."

Through all that time, Kenshin came beside Gandalf and twinked his eyes at Wormtongue, sending out his swordsman spirit, which intimidated the counselor. Wormtongue, taken aghast at Kenshin's presence… began to stagger back a little…

'…This man,' thought Wormtongue, cringing a little, '…who is he…?'

"…I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!" Gandalf said angrily as he raised his staff against Wormtongue.

"His staff!" muttered Wormtongue.

"Stand aside," Kenshin firmly commanded Wormtongue.

Wormtongue then backed away from Gandalf and Kenshin while addressing, "…I told you to take the wizard's staff! Stop the man who's with him!"

The guards, with all of their hostility, attacked. The company engaged them in a fist-fight, which Sanosuke liked.

"Alright," said Sanosuke, while cracking his fists, "let's rumble!"

Saito and Aoshi made good sport of the guards more than the others did. Saito delivers some rapid, uppercut punches to the guards and kicked them down. Aoshi, with his super speed, took the guards by surprise each time. Another guard, Gamling, tries to go forward but Háma held him back.

Gandalf, accompanied by Kenshin, continued to approach Theoden as the fight progressed.

"Theoden!" he proclaimed brightly, with open arms, "…Son of Thengul!

The possessed king shrugged away into the seat each time Gandalf came closer to him…

"Too long have you sat in the shadows," Gandalf said sadly.

As another guard tries to conceal himself in the surroundings, trying to take Gandalf by surprise...

THWACK!

Kenshin swiftly brought his elbow up to stop him.

Sanosuke continued to fight the guards with his fists. As the guards closed in, he found a table to use for his surprise. He swiftly punched the table, disintegrating part of it…

BAAMMMM!

It made the guards gasp for air and back away.

"I told you my fists were my weapons," said Sanosuke, "if you don't want to end up like that, I suggest you keep your distance."

The guards backed away in great shock.

Wormtongue tried to crawl away unnoticed, but Gimli and Saito catch him and Gimli pinned him to the floor, with his foot.

"I would stay still, if I were you," Gimli growled at him.

"You better do as he says, creep," Saito added as he looked menacingly at Wormtongue.

"Harken to me!" Gandalf cried as he and Kenshin reached Theoden. Everyone waited silently, in this climactic moment…

Gandalf then held his hand up, gesturing, "… I release you… from the spell…"

"… Haha… hhhahahahah…hahahahahahahahahahaha… "

Gandalf opened his eyes in surprise, to see that his counterspell had no effect at all. Theoden laughed maniacally at Gandalf, filling everyone with surprise and anger.

'Dammit,' thought Sanosuke, tightening his fist.

"…hahaha… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" Theoden continued to laugh maniacally, "You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey!"

While Theoden continued his sick laughing…

FLASH!

Gandalf threw back his grey cloak, exuding blinding white light, causing Théoden to be thrown back against his seat. Saito and Sanosuke smirked brightly while everyone maintained their own solemn expressions…

"I will draw you, Saruman," proclaimed Gandalf, "as poison is drawn from a wound."

Gandalf then pointed his staff towards the possessed king, pinning him to the throne, moving closer to him. Éowyn rushed into the scene. Seeing and believing that her uncle was threatened, she tried to go to him but was held back by Aragorn and Aoshi, stopping her from disrupting the exorcism.

"Wait," said Aragorn.

"He's right my lady," added Aoshi, "you have to let Gandalf do what he has to."

"If I go," Theoden spoke again, but it was in Saruman's voice, as he threatened, "…Theoden dies!"

But Gandalf raised his staff sharply, making Théoden fly back against the chair again. Gandalf would not relent…

"You did not kill me," returned Gandalf, firmly, taking a step closer, "…you will not kill him!"

'That's it, old man,' thought Sanosuke, 'don't give up. Show this creep who's boss.'

Theoden… no, Saruman struggled against Gandalf's assault, showing that he doesn't intend to be beaten so easily…

"…Rohan is mine!" snarled Saruman.

"Rohan," interjected Kenshin, "is no longer yours, Saruman, that it isn't!"

"You heard Kenshin, correctly," said Gandalf as he threw back the possessed king with his staff again, "…begone!"

The two white wizards lock horns in this contest of strength and will…

Saruman struggled once more against Gandalf…

Gandalf, in turn, continues to hold his own against Saruman…

The battle between them tensed each moment, with neither of them willing to let up. It was a perfect stalemate…

Kenshin and the others awaited for the battle to be decided and then…

Saruman used Theoden to lunge out at Gandalf, "ARGHHH!"

But Gandalf quickly smites the possessed king with his staff…

CRACK!


…Causing Saruman to fly backwards from the palantír which he used to manipulate Théoden… and landed very hard on the floor of Orthanc. Saruman slowly lifted his head, bleeding from a gash on his forehead.


In the Hall, after Gandalf had broken Saruman's spell… Théoden lets out a moan and slumped forward in the chair. Éowyn ran to her uncle's side as he fell. Kenshin ran up with her. Gamling was as much as worried for the king as Éowyn. Hama laid his hand on Gamling's shoulder, sharing his concern.

Théoden's head rose again…

…And his face began to change slowly, yet gradually…

…Into that of a much younger-looking man, but was his natural old age. Clarity and recognition returned to his eyes. Kenshin brightened his expression at the sight of this feat.

'So, it seems that Theoden is back to his old self, that he is,' thought Kenshin.

"…I know your face," spoke the rejuvenated Theoden…

Eowyn smiled so brightly that she wept tears of joy, something that she had never done for a very long time. Kenshin smiled as brightly as Éowyn did, sharing her relief.

"…Éowyn," Theoden silently called out as Éowyn caressed his face, "…Éowyn."

Seeing this, Sanosuke turned to the uncertain, bemused people in the Hall, and assured them, with a smirk, "Hey, you can relax now guys, you got your king back."

Theoden then turned his gaze on the redheaded stranger before him.

"Who are you, young man?" asked Theoden.

"I am Kenshin Himura," answered Kenshin, "it is an honor to meet you your highness, that it is."

Theoden smiled, feeling honored and then looked up at the wizard…

"…Gandalf?" he asked confused.

"Breathe the free air again, my friend," said Gandalf, with merriment.

Eowyn and Kenshin both helped Theoden to stand up from the ground. Everyone marveled at the rejuvenation of the king, as the Hall was filled with light once again. Theoden stood before the people, who bowed before him, as a strong king.

Theoden continued to look around his Hall and at himself.

"Dark," he said, looking at his fingers, "have been my dreams of late."

"Your dreams are dark no longer Theoden," interjected Kenshin, "…thanks to Sir Gandalf."

"Your fingers would remember their old strength better," mentioned Gandalf, "…if they grasped your sword."

Kenshin nodded in agreement.

Hama then brought the king's sword, Herugrim, over to him. Théoden reached for it with trembling hands. He slowly wrapped his fingers around it… and then slowly drew the blade, gazing upon the shiny steel. Wormtongue, in a corner, trembled and tried to make his escape, but Gimli pulled him back.

Éowyn smiled brightly at her uncle as he gazed at his sword. Gandalf was somehow right, Theoden suddenly remembered his old strength by holding his sword. It was a long, long time since he grasped and looked upon his old sword.

But it would please Theoden more… if he used his sword on a certain turncoat counselor as he quickly turned his gaze at Wormtongue, menacingly. Wormtongue cowered at the angry king.

"Payback time," Saito said, smirking at Wormtongue…


And the guards mercilessly threw the treacherous Wormtongue from the Hall and he tumbled down the steps. Wormtongue landed very hard on the landing, hurting all over and bleeding from the mouth. Everyone looked at the hurting cretin as Theoden came out from the crowd and slowly proceeded down the steps towards Wormtongue with his sword firm in his hand.

"I've only," beseeched Wormtongue, "…ever… served you, my lord!"

"The hell you have, buddy!" Sanosuke loudly interjected.

"Your leechcraft," growled Theoden, closing in on Wormtongue, "would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!"

Wormtongue groveled before Theoden, "Send me not from your sight."

Alas, Theoden wouldn't show him any mercy as he raised his sword, intending to kill Wormtongue…

But Aragorn and Kenshin held him back, stopping Theoden from killing Wormtongue.

"No, my lord!" cried Aragorn, "no, my lord."

"Theoden," interjected Kenshin, "…despite what Wormtongue has done, he deserves better than death by your hand, that he does."

"Kenshin's right," Aragorn told Theoden, "let him go. Enough blood has been spilt on his account."

Theoden slowly began to calm down, thinking of what Kenshin and Aragorn said. Wormtongue then scrambled to his feet and pushed through the crowd.

"Get out of my way!" he yelled.

Wormtongue rode out of Edoras, in disgrace, and made for Isengard, secretly vowing revenge against Theoden and Gandalf.

Kenshin went on, "Now that you've banished him, Wormtongue has nowhere else to go, except Isengard. Saruman will decide his fate, that he will."

"…Hail, Theoden-King!" Hama called out from in front of the Hall.

The people took up the call as they all knelt before the king in homage. Theoden looked on in perplexed awe of the sight of his subjects kneeling before him. A sight that he also has not been able to see for a very long time. The king turned to Kenshin and Aragorn as they knelt right beside the king.

Theoden then turned around to go back to the Hall. But he looked up and glanced around in wonder, "…Where is Théodred? Where is my son…?"



.
A/n: I know, its getting to be a habit of mine, posting once a month. I'm doing my best to find a job. I may be able to get one today. If not… this might be one of the last chapters I might publish for the time being, until I can find a job.

Please read and review, as always, and please be on the lookout next Sunday, Feb. 29, the night of the Oscars. Hopefully, Return of the King will get Best Picture, and Peter Jackson can get Best Director.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c