Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 32: The White Wizard approaches, Gandalf's return!

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

A/n: this chapter has my little Christmas present for Kenshin and Aragorn, if you can guess what that is. Oh, and this chapter is longer, than any of my other chapters. Well, anyway, enjoy this chapter.


Meanwhile in Fangorn Forest, the Seven Trackers continue to search for their three friends, who were thought killed by accident. Gimli fingered a dark stain on a leaf and brought it to his mouth. Fortunately, he spit it out.

"Ptui! Orc blood," said Gimli.

"Pity," interjected Saito, "I usually enjoy the taste of blood."

Gimli huffed, "Only you would enjoy all types of blood, Saito."

Saito smirked arrogantly confirming Gimli's assessment of Saito.

"Hey," Sanosuke spoke as he gestured, "over here, take a look at this."

Saito and Gimli went over in Sanosuke's direction where he saw a smashed figure of Grishnákh, the Orc that chased Misao and the Hobbits into the forest.

"Look at this creep," said Sanosuke, "it looks like he got smashed by something big."

"Well, whoever, or whatever it was," said Saito, "it may have done us a favor."

"Maybe for you, Saito, but I would've liked to have pounded this creep myself."

"Everyone," interjected Legolas, as he gestured the others, "we must move on."


The Hunters went forward, journeying deeper into Fangorn Forest, following the faint tracks of Misao, the Hobbits, and the Orc that was chasing them, to which they found dead. Aragorn and Kenshin then spot a strange parting of the ground and take a closer look at the ground.

"These are strange tracks," said Aragorn.

"By the looks of it," added Kenshin, "…they look like the roots of a tree, that they do."

Aragorn pondered Kenshin's assessment, as he recalled to himself an old legend of Fangorn Forest.

"…The air is so close in here," stated Gimli.

Legolas then stared off into the distance, feeling the environment all around him. Aoshi joined him.

"What do you feel, Legolas?" asked Aoshi.

Legolas calmly answered, "…This forest is old, Aoshi… very old…

"…Full of memory... and anger…"

"…Yes…" agreed Aoshi, "…I feel it as well, Legolas."

Then, out of nowhere… sounds and groans reverberated throughout the forest mixed with the sound of squeaking wood. It immediately caught Legolas and Aoshi's attention as Gimli quickly brought up his axe and the groans became louder.

"The trees are speaking to each other!" Legolas said abruptly, looking very alarmed.

'Talking trees?' thought Aoshi, 'the world of Middle-Earth is intriguing indeed. There are surprises in every corner of this world, even the forests themselves are a wonder.'

'Man!' thought Sanosuke, cringing and gasping a little, 'now we've got talking trees? I knew this place was creepy!'

Kenshin and Saito kept their cool at the continuing creeping of groans. Aragorn then turned to look at Gimli's stance as the Dwarf continued holding his axe, ready to defend himself at the slightest sign of any foe.

"Gimli," Aragorn whispered urgently to the Dwarf as he gestured with his hand, "lower your axe."

"Oh!" Gimli gasped silently.

Gimli thought about it for a minute and then slowly lowered his axe, realizing that Aragorn may have a point. The groans slowly stopped afterwards.

"They have feelings, my friend," Legolas said, his eyes meeting the bewildered Gimli's, "The Elves began it… waking up the trees, teaching them to speak."

"And as a ninja," Aoshi added, "I've been highly trained being tuned into nature, using the surrounding for cover, as well as the care of the trees, especially when its trees like these, Gimli."

"Talking trees," huffed Gimli, "what do trees have to talk about, hmm? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings."

"Actually," Sanosuke interjected nervously, "the real question is, why do trees have to talk at all? It's all unnatural, I tell you!"

'Moron,' thought Saito.

Kenshin, however, gave a sheepish grin at Sanosuke for his nervousness of Fangorn Forest.


The Hunters went even further when suddenly… Legolas sensed something, perhaps an enemy…

"Aragorn, nad nâ ennas (Something is out there)!" Legolas said to Aragorn as he ran up ahead.

Aragorn slowly approached Legolas and asked, "…man cenich (What do you see)?"

"…The White Wizard approaches," Legolas slowly and cautiously answered as he gestured with his head to his side.

'White Wizard…' thought Aoshi, looking to his side as well, '…it can only be Saruman. Whether with my bow or my double kodachis, I must strike first.'

'Saruman,' thought Kenshin in agreement to Aoshi. Saito, Sanosuke, and Gimli darken their expressions to this startling revelation.

Aragorn also realized that it might be Saruman who's coming.

He told the others, "…do not let him speak, he will put a spell on us."

Aragorn wrapped his hand around the hilt of his sword…

Sanosuke cracked his fist as he thought, 'yeah, you got it, Aragorn. I'm prepared to go all out on the creep, even if he is an old man. It's gonna be you, me, and my fists, Saruman…'

Saito readied his sword for a devastating Gatotsu attack.

'Saruman will know the meaning of Aku… Soku… Zan,' he thought…

'Sir Gandalf,' thought Kenshin as he reluctantly grabbed his sword, but was fully prepared to use it, 'is no longer with us that he isn't. I've never drew my sword to an old man before, but in cases like this, I will have to take Aragorn's advice… I have no choice but to show Saruman no mercy, whatsoever…'

Aoshi brandishes his Kodachi swords. Gimli tightened his hold on his axe, while Legolas notched an arrow to his bow…

With everyone having their weapons at the ready, Aragorn advised, "…we must be quick."

Moments later…

"…AAARRRRRGHHHH!" The warriors swing around to attack.

As they did…

FLASH!

A bright white light emitted from the Wizard, blinding them. Gimli and Legolas threw their attacks at the wizard, but he easily deflected them as the wizard twirled his staff. Aoshi brought his Kodachis together…

"Onmyou Hasshi!" Aoshi cried out his attack, throwing them at the wizard. The wizard deflected them swiftly.

Sanosuke charged and jumped at the wizard, willing to knock his lights out. But the wizard used the magic of his staff to throw the fighter backwards as well… and he crashed back onto the ground.

"ARGH!" exclaimed Aragorn, Kenshin, and Saito as they ended up dropping their swords that became red hot in their grasps.

The weaponless warriors shielded their eyes from the Wizard's bright, blinding light. They couldn't see the wizard's face…

The White Wizard rested his staff as he spoke, "…You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits and a young girl."

The wizard appeared to be speaking in Saruman's voice, but it started to change, muffling the sounds of the voices…

"Where are they?" asked Aragorn.

"Is Miss Misao alright?" added Kenshin.

"They passed this way," answered the wizard, "the day before yesterday. They met someone they… did not expect…

"…Does that comfort you?"

"Wait a minute," interjected Sanosuke, "…what does he mean, did not expect?"

'The way he talks,' thought Saito, '…then… if he's not Saruman…'

'…Then…' thought Aoshi, '…who is he?'

Kenshin shared the same thoughts about the wizard as well.

"…Who are you?" Aragorn asked the wizard.

Everyone waited long moments to see who the wizard was…

"…Show yourself!" Aragorn demanded.

The light dimmed. But it didn't reveal Saruman…

…It revealed Gandalf!

Their old leader, Gandalf the Grey has returned to them, but not dressed in Grey, nor with Grey hair…

But had glowing white hair as new snow in the sunshine, and gleaming white was his robe, the eyes under the deep brows were bright, piercing as the rays of the sun, power was in his hand. Even his staff was white, unlike Saruman's staff, which was black with a white orb on the top. Gandalf passed his staff over to his other hand, standing before the astounded travelers…

Kenshin gasped for breath as he gazed at the revitalized Gandalf as everyone else did.

"…It cannot be," said Aragorn in disbelief.

"…Man," gasped Sanosuke, with bewildered, bemused eyes, "…am I seeing… a ghost?"

'Impossible,' thought Saito, also gasping. Even Aoshi gasped the same.

Feeling guilty, Legolas knelt before Gandalf, in deep respect and said, "Forgive me, I mistook you for Saruman."

Gimli also bowed with the deepest apologies.

"We all did," Aoshi added his apologies as he bowed.

"Indeed you have," Gandalf replied, giving a little grin at the reaction of the travelers, "but then… you weren't really mistaken, for I am Saruman… or rather, Saruman as he should have been."

'…I don't know what he means,' thought a bemused Sanosuke, 'I've never even saw Saruman, except about hearing that he was a white wizard.

'But then… I guess I'd have to agree with him, if that's what Saruman kinda looks like.'

"You fell," gasped Aragorn.

"…What happened?" asked Kenshin, with a bewildered relief in his eyes.

Gandalf began his explanation, "…Through fire and water…"


Gandalf recalls what happened to him after Moria. He was fighting the Balrog atop Dúrin's Tower. A terrible blizzard overcame the fighters.

"…From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth…"

Gandalf fiercely and continuously fought the creature left and right. The Balrog roared and roared each time. And then…

Gandalf held up Glamdring… and a flash of lightning struck it before he plunged the sword deep into the Balrog. With a final cry, the Balrog suddenly fell from the peak and crashed, smoking onto the icy mountainside…

"…Until, at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside…"

Meanwhile, on top of the mountain, Gandalf slowly began to crawl a bit, but then… he collapsed on the freezing snow himself, in the end…

"…Darkness took me…"

The collapsed Gandalf began a mental journey.

Through his eye… he entered an amorphous realm of stars and galaxies. He wandered through those galaxies that were far and wide… space as far as the eye can see…

"…And I strayed out of thought… and time. Stars wheeled overhead… and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth…"

Suddenly… the mental journey ended in a bright, white light.

"…But it was not the end…"

As Gandalf's mental journey ended, Gandalf's form changed completely. His hair has turned white and his wounds were completely healed. He was lying on the ground, very still.

"…I felt life in me again… "

Suddenly… he shuddered with a deep gasp… and panted as life returned to him…


"…I've been sent back… until my task is done," Gandalf finished.

"Gandalf," gasped Aragorn yet again.

"Gandalf?" the wizard wondered, "… Yes..."

Gandalf paused before speaking, "…that's what they used to call me…"

Aragorn nodded affably to Gandalf's recalling of his name…

"…Gandalf the Grey," Gandalf smiled gently in realization, "…that was my name."

"And so it was," interjected Kenshin, brightly, "…or rather it is… Sir Gandalf."

"Gandalf," Gimli said, with gladness in his voice.

"Welcome back, old man," said Sanosuke, grinning.

"Yeah," added a smirking Saito, "we were beginning to be lost without you."

"No doubt," said Gandalf, smiling, "you would, Saito. And Aoshi, I almost forgot. Misao says she's okay by the way."

"Thank you," replied Aoshi, "I also welcome your return, Gandalf the Grey."

Gandalf smiled with a twinkle in his eye replying, "I am Gandalf the White now, Aoshi."

Legolas also smiled brightly at this.

"…And I come back to you now… at the turn of the tide, " he finished.


Gandalf then began to lead the others out of the forest, wearing a grey cloak over his white robes.

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins," the wizard announces, "war has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed."

"Excuse me, Mr. Gandalf," said Sanosuke, "we're really glad to see you again as a new and improved white wizard and all but, how do we get to Edoras, anyhow?"

Gandalf replied, "In the words of your friend Saito, keep your mouth shut and follow me, you moron."

Sanosuke became embarrassed as Saito smirked.

"Edoras?" questioned a surprised Gimli, "That is no short distance."

"We have also heard of trouble in Rohan, Gandalf, "Aragorn verified to Gandalf, "it goes ill with the king."

"Yes," Gandalf confirmed, "and it will not be easily cured."

"So it would seem," interjected Kenshin, "ever since we have left Sir Frodo, every path that we've traveled here in Middle-Earth brings us to new challenges, that they do."

"Indeed Kenshin," Gandalf told him in affirmation.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing," grumbled Gimli as he gazed about in distaste, "are we to leave that young girl and those poor Hobbits here, in this horrid, dark, dank, tree-infested--"

GROAAAANNNN!

The trees suddenly began to squeak and groan loudly and angrily at Gimli's insults…

The Dwarf instantly recoiled with eyes widened from the menacing trees as he hastily said, in a high-pitch voice, "…I mean charming… quite charming… forest."

"Would you mind keeping it down Gimli," Sanosuke said angrily.

"What are you trying to do," Saito added his intensity, "get us all killed?!"

"Uh, Sir Gimli," Kenshin said, sheepishly, "maybe you shouldn't speak so roughly about the trees now, that you shouldn't."

"Oh, I'm sorry Kenshin," said an apologetic Gimli, "I just feel so guilty leaving them alone. Besides, leaving Frodo behind weighed heavily enough on me, as it is."

"We can all understand that Gimli," interjected Aoshi, "truthfully, I feel the same guilt about leaving Misao. But I believed strongly then, as I do today… Misao is a strong girl. I have every confidence that she'll help protect Merry and Pippin."

"And so she shall, Aoshi," said Gandalf as he turned to face the others, "for it was more than mere chance that brought her, Merry, and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry, Misao, and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend," interjected Aragorn, very fondly.

"Hmm?" wondered Gandalf as he brought his ear to Aragorn's mouth.

"…You still speak in riddles," answered Aragorn, with a smile.

Gandalf giggled gaily, along with Aragorn.

"I can most certainly relate to that Aragorn," interjected Kenshin as he smiled, "many people from my world think that I'm very weird and talk in riddles as well, that they do."

Gandalf laughed again, "Kenshin, even though, you are not of the Maiar, your weirdness would rival… or yet equal that… of a wizard's wisdom."

Kenshin smiled brightly at Gandalf's complement as Aragorn did.

Gandalf went on further, "For a thing is about to happen, that has not happened since the Elder days… the Ents are going to wake up."

"Ents?" queried Sanosuke.

"A legend of Rohan, Sanosuke," Aragorn answered, with a smile, "there are old legends about the dwellers in the deep forests, the giant shepherds of the trees. I thought they were only a memory of the ancient days."

"Indeed," Gandalf said to Sanosuke, "our friends are now with one of the Ents, called Treebeard, who is the eldest of the Ents, who still walks beneath the sun upon this Middle Earth. And when they all wake up Sanosuke…

"…They will find that they are strong."

Sanosuke didn't seem too happy to hear that, but only became more worried.

"Strong?" interjected Gimli, glancing about at the trees uncertainly, as they groaned a bit more, "…oh, that's good."

"So, stop your fretting, Master Dwarf," Gandalf ordered Gimli, as he turned and continued through the forest, with Kenshin, Aragorn, and Aoshi right behind him.

"Merry, Pippin and Misao are quite safe," Gandalf reassured Gimli as he glanced over his shoulder at the Dwarf, "in fact, they are far safer than you are about to be."

Aragorn and Kenshin smiled sheepishly at the bewildered Dwarf as they continued to follow the white wizard.

"This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one," opined Gimli.

"Not to mention, a little more irritating than before," added Sanosuke.

"I don't know," Saito interjected, "I kinda like this one. He certainly knows a moron when he sees one."

"WHAT WAS THAT!" growled Sanosuke, "Saito, you say that one more time, I'm going to pound you on one of these stupid, infested trees--!"

GROOOOAAAANNNN!"

"Ahhh!" squeaked Sanosuke, waving his hands wildly at the angry, groaning trees, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that! Please don't kill me, please!!"

The trees settled down again as Saito smirked with the utmost pleasure.

"Sanosuke," Legolas said to him, "perhaps it is better that you save your reservations about Saito until we leave the forest."

Sanosuke nodded nervously, more than willing to leave Fangorn Forest… before something else happens.

"And you tell me to keep my temper Sanosuke," Gimli huffed at Sanosuke, "…who knew?"


As Gandalf reached outside the forest, he whistled, piercingly…

Gandalf whistled again, loud enough to span for miles. Soon… an answering neigh was heard…

And a white horse slowly appeared from the plain, answering the call. The others saw the horse that has somewhat magically appeared and stared at it, in great awe.

"Wow," said Sanosuke, "the old man called a horse out of the blue, just like that."

"Not just any horse, Sanosuke," said Legolas, blinking in bright amazement, "…that is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell."

"Then we must all be under a spell, Legolas," added a bemused Sanosuke.

Never before has Kenshin or his companions have seen a lovelier sight than of the Mearas, the most noble horses of the Mortal Lands. The great horse, called forth by Gandalf, came galloping up the slope… across the fields towards them; his coat was glistening and his mane flowing with the wind of his speed, slowly coming round… and gently trotted, stopping in front of Gandalf.

Kenshin spoke, "This is a magnificent horse, Sir Gandalf, that it is. What is the horse's name?"

"…Shadowfax," Gandalf called the horse as it stooped its proud head and nuzzled his great nostrils against the old man's neck.

Kenshin smiled gaily for he believed that Shadowfax was a wonderful name for the white stallion

"…He's the lord of all horses Kenshin," Gandalf said gently as he fondly caressed the stallion's arched neck, "…and has been my friend through many dangers."

Gimli bowed his head to Shadowfax. Kenshin came up to Shadowfax and gently patted the horse's head as well, and smiled.

And so… the eight riders rode off, with Gandalf in the lead, riding across the plains to Edoras, the Capitol City of Rohan…


Night fell over Rohan. With Edoras, still a long ways away, the travelers, along with the newly reborn Gandalf, have taken rest for the night. Kenshin sat on the ground, armed with Hope, the reverse-blade sword, in his arms. Aragorn lay gently on the ground.

Suddenly…

Kenshin awoke from his slumber and looked up with a gasp. Aragorn then sat up to see the trouble look upon his companion's face.

"What is it, Kenshin?" asked Aragorn.

"I feel darkness growing Aragorn," Kenshin answered darkly, "I have felt it ever since Sir Frodo went on his own, to complete the quest, that he did."

Aragorn then turned to see Gandalf standing in the distance, looking at the mountain of fire. Kenshin also saw Gandalf musing at the mountain.

"Gandalf may have felt the same thing, Kenshin," said Aragorn.

Kenshin nodded firmly and he and Aragorn stood up and walked over to the wizard to hear what he has seen…

Aragorn and Kenshin stood on either side, of Gandalf, leaving Gandalf between both of them.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the east takes shape," Gandalf began to explain, "Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-dûr, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him… "

Gandalf then turned to Aragorn and said, "…the heir of Numenor still lives."

This new revelation surprised Aragorn. He thought that Sauron would never find out about him.

Gandalf went on, "Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become…"

Gandalf then turned to Kenshin and added, "…and despite your vow of not killing Kenshin… Sauron fears you as well. You may not be of Numenor lineage, but you are prepared to stop Sauron, as well as help Aragorn unite all men against him, aren't you Kenshin."

"…Indeed," answered Kenshin, "Shishio feared me in the exact same way, that he did."

"Of course," Gandalf verified, "and with anyone with a will to stop all evil, Sauron will not take you lightly as a common wanderer, Kenshin."

Kenshin slowly nodded in agreement.

"And so," Gandalf explained further, "he'll strike hard and fast at the world of men in both worlds. He will use his puppet, Saruman, to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself and therein lies our first challenge, for Rohan is weak and ready to fall… "

"The king's mind is enslaved, it's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Theoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But… for all their cunning, we have one advantage…"

Gandalf paused for a moment, then turned to face both Kenshin and Aragorn as he answered, "…The ring remains hidden."

Kenshin and Aragorn nodded in affirmation as they were at least relieved to hear that.

Gandalf went on further, "And that we should seek to destroy it, has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor, in the hands of a Hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mt. Doom. We must trust now in Frodo.

"Everything depends upon speed… and the secrecy of his quest," Gandalf firmly concluded.

Gandalf then looked upon the long faces of Kenshin and Aragorn as they both still felt helpless to do anything despite letting Frodo go on his own…

"…Kenshin, Aragorn," Gandalf kindly said to them, with understanding, "…do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone."

"He's not alone," said Aragorn, "…Sam went with him."

"Miss Kaoru and Yahiko also went with Sir Frodo, that they did," added Kenshin.

"Did they?" asked Gandalf, after hearing this startling, surprising revelation brought before him, "Did they indeed?"

Kenshin nodded.

"Good," brightened Gandalf, "yes, very good."

Aragorn and Kenshin, still a little unsure whether they did the right thing, as well as relieved to have Gandalf back with them, also brightened along with the wizard as they all continued to look on towards Mt. Doom… with a renewed sense of hope.


A/n: Well, hope you liked reading these three chapters as a Christmas present on my behalf. And what a better Christmas present than to give back Gandalf to Kenshin and Aragorn, ever since taking him from them on July 4th. Sounds pretty neat, don' you think?

Oh, by the way, on Dec. 17, the opening of Return of the King, was also the 80th birthday of my Grandfather, Faruma Williams. His party was on Sunday, Dec. 21. My Grandfather and I would very much appreciate it, if you would wish him a happy birthday and a Merry Christmas, as you review.

Please R/R, and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c