Fox Hunt

By dave-d
 

Chapter 7



Summary: What is going on? Why do all the girls that Naruto knows want him to father their children? Answer: Kitsune.

 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)



Disclaimer: No own, no mula, no sue. 

Notes: I'm wondering what you mean by "kon." In some sources, the call a fox makes is supposed to be ‘kon kon,’ in stead of ‘kitsu kitsu’ as others might claim.

Why do the kitsune like naruto normal even without kyuubi... that' s sorta... um messed up Huh? This is Earth calling! Kyuubi is always there inside of Naruto.

Oh for Christ's sakes, BANG THEM ALL already! Repeat after me: it’s only a story…… it’s only a story…

Too many naked girls... Bite your tongue.

Aw... Why you gotta be so mean with the teaser! That’s my Author Way


The great spars of rock jutted out of the ground like the prows of giant ships.

Large weeping trees looked something like billowing sails as the breeze set their branched moving.

A damp rich smell filled the small shaded alcove they all took refuge in. But, for the moment, there was no scent of an enemy.

The subtle acrid stench of a male kitsune in battle had barely registered on Naruto during the initial fights, but it was an odor he would never forget.

Leaning his back against the cold rock, he tried to slow his breathing, while he waited to regain some chakra. He hoped that Kyuubi’s energy would help in the healing process as it often had in the past. Nonetheless, he had a number of nasty wounds that needed tending to.

Looking over near the base of one tree, he tensed up again, worried. Hinata lay prone, unconscious, one sleeve torn off. Her vest had been sliced in two. A moist towel covered her forehead.

Kuko, in human form, bent over the smaller woman, her tails present and assisting in the creation of healing energies. As the kitsune rubbed those tails over Hinata’s arm, a large gash stopped bleeding, and the edges of the wound began to knit together.

Naruto knew that nothing had changed in his friend’s condition, but he went over to kneel by her side anyway. She had taken a serious blow to the head, and Kuko thought that there had been early internal bleeding.

The fox woman had contained that injury first, and did everything she knew how to do, in order to help the shinobi who had saved her life. There was a good chance that Hinata would recover completely…… but there was also a fair chance that she would die.

“Hinata,” Natuto said, knowing that she couldn’t hear him. “Hinata, you were great.” He adjusted the towel on her head. “You were very brave.” Eyes burning, he looked down at her body. She seemed so small.

But, she had surprised them all, even him.

Naruto took out some bandages and began working on his own wounds. Looking down at Hinata again, he furrowed his brow and thought a moment.

“Her injuries are too severe for us to continue this journey. After I kill that last bastard, it will be time to take her back to Konoha.”

Naruto felt guilty, but not because of his performance in the battle. He had been occupied with a number of opponents, and could not have helped Hinata and Kuko at the crucial moment. He felt foolish because he had chosen to bring only one other ninja with him.

If Sakura or Shizune were here, they may have been able to aid Kuko.

It was a miracle of good fortune that the kitsune was skilled in the healing arts, serving her family in that capacity.

“We are closer to the temple,” Kuko said. “And, there are healers there whose powers far eclipse my own. If we are fortunate, she will be able to move on her own in a little while, without putting herself at further risk. But, she will be unable to fight.” The fox woman put her hand to her sweaty brow. She looked exhausted. “I have used all of the healing ability I have.”

Naruto grunted. He looked out over the vast expanse of meadow that lay around them, wondering where the last and strongest of the rogue males lay in wait.

He and Hinata had begun their small private war amongst the tall trees at the fringe of the forest. When the fighting allowed, they made their way across open ground, doing their best to keep Kuko and each other safe.

“She…… little sister took the strike meant for me….” The kitsune placed her hand on Hinata’s head and closed her eyes. “I never thought that one of the males would have tried to kill me, if they couldn’t get what they wanted. There may be more going on than I thought.”

Naruto looked at the bandages in his hands. They would be more for show than anything else. He would rub them against some of Hinata’s blood-soaked clothing to color them, to make it look as if he was more severely injured than he really was.

“I’m not interested in that. Not one bit. It’s Hinata that matters now.”

“You took some serious wounds while shielding me.” Kuko’s look was still lustful, but there was a strong look of gratitude and wonder on her face. “Will having the Kyuubi within you help with your healing?”

“Yes,” Naruto said. Glancing over at Hinata again, he began reliving the final attack in his mind. His arrival had been just a moment too late. Rasengan had turned one high caste rogue into a bloody smear against a large rock outcrop, but not before the kitsune had swiped at Kuko, and had used an elemental jutsu to lift a huge chunk of earth in the air, then bring it crashing downward.

Hinata had pushed Kuko out of the way, and then used Kaiten. Her move had saved the kitsune and softened the blow to herself, but she still crumpled to the ground as limp as a rag doll. The swipe had struck before her spinning technique. The plummeting rocks and dirt had been tossed upward at staggered heights, such that the Hyuuga jutsu did not catch them all.

“You…… you were pretty amazing, yourself….” Kuko said, sitting down hard, staring at Naruto, trying to keep her urges in check. Now was not the time to be pawing at him or breathing in his ear. “I didn’t realize…… I never would have guessed that a young human could be that powerful. Even one with the Nine Tails demon inside.”

Naruto spat. He almost had his breath back. His side hurt, and his wounds stung, but that would not delay him. In a few minutes, he would take things on the offensive.

“Not amazing enough….” He said, looking at Hinata’s prone form. “Maybe not fucking amazing at all….”

He knew he was being too hard on himself. If Kuko’s estimates were correct, they had started off by facing by two mikkyo kitsune, three high caste males, and at least six lower cast males. By all rights, the three of them should be captured or dead. The surviving lower caste had eventually run off, seriously injured or not.

Kuko had done her part to see through illusions. He had used every jutsu at his command, and had come up with a number of tricks that he would gladly brag about someday, if his friend pulled through. Hinata had fought better than anyone that size had a right to, helping to direct the flow of battle, and finishing off those kitsune who tried to reach Kuko by going through her.

There was a reason the Hyuuga Blood Limit was coveted by other villages.

“I may have a little strength left. I should boost the healing on some of your wounds,” Kuko staggered, then collapsed to the ground. Naruto put his hands on her shoulders and kept her from trying to get up yet.

“No. That bastard fox needs to earn his keep somehow. And, in a few moments, the stupid son of a bitch had better help me out in another way!”

It had taken a beautifully coordinated attack between him and Hinata to take out the first mikkyo. He would have to take this one on alone. It was time to see if he could repeat a transformation he had gone through in the past, voluntarily this time.

He needed every edge he could get!

Kuko looked up at Naruto, a haunted look in her eyes.

“The two of you risked yourselves because of me. I know…… I know it’s part of your mission….” She looked over at Hinata, before continuing. “Maybe…… maybe I should just go out there alone. If he…. If he gets what he wants….”

Naruto shook his head.

“No. He might want you dead. Even if he doesn’t, you know what he would do to you.” He grimaced, holding one end of a bandage in his teeth as he wrapped his arm. “That won’t happen on my watch. Not if I can help it.” He spat a bit of frayed cloth out of his mouth. “And I don’t want that asshole to end up hurting someone else some day. Human or otherwise.”

Kuko bowed her head. She began crying for real this time, her tears making spots on the dry leaf cover.

“Th-Th-Thank you….”

Naruto ran through the prior skirmishes in his mind, trying to work on strategy and tactics. This next confrontation may not be slower, but he hoped to make it more deliberate. Both he and his foe would have some idea of what to expect.

However, this time, he would be vulnerable to illusion. Kuko was too tired to help. Hinata would not be there to use Byakugan. If he didn’t find some way to counter the kitsune’s powers, the fight might not last very long.

He scanned the horizon again. Why wasn’t the male attacking? Maybe he wasn’t aware how injured Hinata was, or how weak Kuko had become. In any case, there was little time to waste.

It was time to turn inward.

I WONDERED HOW LONG IT WOULD BE, BEFORE YOU CAME CRAWLING BEFORE ME.

“Good for you.” Naruto said, curtly.

He knew he was the one asking for something, but he was in no mood to beg or walk carefully.

YOU HAVE RUN A GOOD RACE SO FAR. PERHAPS YOU SHOULD SIMPLY SURRENDER.

“Do you want to die, bastard fox? I’m going to rip that kitsune’s guts out and hang him with them.”

Mentally, Naruto spat.

Leave it to the damn demon to side with another fox,

I WAS NOT REFERRING TO THE MALE, INSECT.

The youma’s laughter echoed like successive bursts of thunder.

Naruto clenched his fist. Obviously, he wasn’t going to hear the end of this. But, he was in no mood for bullshit.

He got right to the point.

“When I fought with Haku, your chakra transformed me. The same thing happened when I fought that Uchiha bastard. I changed. I was stronger. I want that again.”

WHY SHOULD I ENCOURAGE SUCH IDIOCY? IF YOU RUN, THE MIKKYU WILL NOT FOLLOW. THE OTHERS MEAN NOTHING TO ME.

Naruto began to tremble in rage.

“They mean something to me, stupid fox. Unlike you, I worry about people other than myself. Get used to it. It’s not going to change.”

He made an effort to calm himself down. Kyuubi no doubt knew where the conversation was going. The demon might be getting what little kicks it could by yanking his chain.

“I live, and you live. I die, and you die. If there’s a chance that you could break free some day… wouldn‘t it be terrible, if you died before that...”

There was silence after that. After a few moments, the great youma replied.

I DO NOT WISH TO AID ONE SUCH AS YOU, BUT HAVE LITTLE CHOICE. PERHAPS THE CHANGE WILL GIVE YOU FOX INSTINCTS AS WELL. IF YOU MATE WITH THE FEMALE, YOU CAN FIGHT AND GO HOME.

That answer had Naruto swallowing hard.

Was Kyuubi just trying to score a few points, or might the change work against him in the way alluded to?

It didn’t matter. The bottom line was obvious. This was about life and death now.

Scratching his head, he realized that there was more he needed.

“You must know what I’m up against. I can’t see through that kind of illusion. Can you?”

CERTAINLY. ANY INTELLIGENT BEING WOULD BE ABLE TO DO SO, CRETIN. IT IS NOT MY FAULT YOU ARE DEFICIENT.

Just once, it would be nice not to get a reaming when he was forced to approach Kyuubi.

“Is it possible for you to make me see through illusions?”

He kept his mental fingers crossed.

IT CAN BE DONE, IF YOU VOLUNTARILY RELINQUISH SOME CONTROL TO ME, WORM.

“Shit!“ Naruto put his hands on his hips, wondering if it was wise to give the demon even the slightest amount of freedom. “You probably won’t turn things completely back to me after the fight. Or, you’ll have me hop on Kuko and bang her until she’s blue in the face.”

He crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head.

Nevertheless, part of him started thinking about the scenario he suggested.

Kyuubi’s laughter returned, then faded away.

YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH CONTROL TO PREVENT THAT. OF COURSE, ONE AS CRAVEN AS YOU COULD USE ME AS AN EXCUSE, THEN DO ANYTHING HE WANTS

Naruto swallowed hard. This was not the time for old schoolboy fantasies. Those never brought real consequences.

Kyuubi’s reference to excuses had him puzzled at first. Then, it came to him. The demon had meant that he could make excuses to Hinata.

Why?

The question had him feeling exceedingly uncomfortable for some reason. It was probably because Hinata lay wounded, and he was wasting time with selfish daydreams.

Right?

He shook his head. The only way such an excuse would work was if he told Hinata about Kyuubi. And, if he did choose to become intimate with the kitsune, it was his business.

“OK. Let’s do it!” He thumped his chest. Suddenly, he twitched. “I mean…… uhhh…… the part about me seeing through illusions….”

Naruto returned to his usual state of mind. He felt uncomfortable about turning even the slightest bit of control over to Nine Tails. Neither he, nor Hinata or Kuko, were worth enough to put the village at risk. But, he was confident that this should fall short of any such danger.

He found Kuko staring at him, her eyes wide and her lips trembling.

“You were talking with him. I could feel his presence.”

Naruto nodded. Suddenly feeling dizzy, he braced himself against a nearby tree. A great warmth spread throughout him. His breathing became faster, then his eyesight changed subtly. He could hear the sound of Kuko’s heartbeat, faster than that of a human woman. The feeling of the air against his skin had smile smiling in pleasure.

Looking down at his hands, he saw that his fingers were slightly longer, tipped with claws.

“Y-Y-You’re beautiful….” Kuko whispered, moved by Naruto’s more beastlike appearance. “So beautiful.”

Naruto sniffed the air, then shook his head. If Kuko’s actions didn’t tell him she was in rut, her scent certainly would now. He had to fight down his own urges at that moment. If he stayed there with her too long….

“Watch after Hinata.”

Slowly, he walked out from cover. It was time for the final show down. He needed to get this done as quickly as possible. If there were other males that had gone elsewhere, there was always the possibility that the battle would broaden in scope if he took too long.

Standing in the open, he would give his opponent a chance to approach and face him. It would be an honorable thing, like something out of the stories he had read as a child.

Shinobi sometimes did that as well, under certain situations.

The prior encounters had not gone that route. After the three of them had heard the calls of the male kitsune, the lesser caste foxes had broke from cover and converged on their position. Their actions had been obvious… it was their intent to drive their prey towards the stronger males, who lay in wait beyond the forest.

Naruto had suspected that. Hinata was of like mind herself. Kuko was too frazzled to be think logically.

Instead of fleeing, he had left Hinata to guard Kuko up close, and then ran directly towards the nearest enemy. His means of showing his displeasure had been abrupt and illustrative. Dozens of clones leaped down from the tree tops, kunai at the ready.

The first rogue fell hard to the ground, his body pierced countless times.

Another low caste male successfully worked an illusion, making it look as if he attacked from different directions. But, Hinata had used her abilities to pinpoint his true location. That allowed Naruto to set the kitsune ablaze with Katon, Goukakyuu no Jutsu.

Busy herself, Hinata used the Gentle Fist to lesson one upstart, operating as best she could against a creature with a chakra system different than humans. A great truth aided her: a damaged heart will hinder males of many species.

After a veritable rain of clone-tossed shuriken set the remaining low caste kitsune on the run, the higher caste males entered the fray, while the two mikkyu slunk about in the background, looking for the most advantageous time to strike.

The battle after that point had been a blur.

There had been no time for strategy. Each threat had to be met and countered between heartbeats. Hinata fought valiantly against kitsune who were seasoned and very skilled, while still managing to call out necessary directions for him.

Before the males had managed to brushed against Kuko, she had been helpful in seeing through illusions as well, though her stuttering kept timing on the knife’s edge.

Certain images stood out in his mind. Small explosions of fire sprouting up from the ground like mushrooms made of flame. Rocks rising out of the ground, tripping him up and nearly breaking his ankles. Strong gusts of wind, that knocked him off balance and altered the trajectory of his thrown weapons. Dense clouds of mist, hiding the swift movement of his foes.

He had countered with a number of different jutsu, including Bakuretsu Kage Bunshin no Jutsu; Doton, Doryuuheki; Katon, Housenka no Jutsu; Kenkaze; and of course, Rasengan. When their continued advance had brought him and his companions into the middle of a wide brook, he had used Suiton, Daibakufu no Jutsu and similar techniques.

The Togeyomi once again proved to be of minor value, as he refused to let his hair grow like Jiraiya’s. But, the Uzumaki Naruto Rendan had caught one high caste male by surprise. When the battered kitsune staggered back near Hinata, she had finished him with a brutal backhanded kunai swipe.

That had left Naruto gaping for a moment, watching the blood fountain out of the kitsune’s mouth, and seeing the determined look on the white-eyed shinobi’s face. But, the tables had been turned when he used the Harem no Jutsu at one point, creating naked images of Kuko with her tails. Hinata had been shocked for a moment, then simple shook her head.

It could have been worse. The image of naked Hinata had also come to mind, and he had been a hair’s breadth away from accidentally disguising some of the copies that way as well.

There were few moments of levity, however.

At one point, Naruto’s one arm went numb, soon followed by a leg. That had come as a result of close combat with the first mikkyo. The draining touches had been fleeting but effective. The lesson was quite obvious: neither he nor Hinata should stand still for more than two blinks of an eye.

Not long after that, he had been struck by an illusion he couldn’t see through. Kuko had begun to call out a warning, but had been scooped up in the arms of one of the males. A sweeping leg kick from Hinata had taken that one Kitsune down. After standing up straight, she had tossed exploding kunei at the mikkyo that had been about to end his life.

The abilities that Kyuubi promised should make that kind of danger obsolete. Or so he hoped.

Someone stepped into view, passing out of the shadows of a stand of trees located down slope. Naruto strode forcefully towards him, his anticipation for a fight growing with leaps and bounds. He knew that those feelings were more Nine Tail’s than his own.

No doubt this was some kind of trick. But, at least he wouldn’t have to wander too far from the girls to hunt the jerk.

“I should apologize,” the advancing figure said. “I hadn’t realized who was in our presence, until long after the fight had begun.”

The male kitsune was in human form, resembling a man of Jiraiya’s height, but more of Kakashi’s build. He wore expensive looking blue robes, embroidered with mythical beasts and arcane-looking symbols. The cap her wore had a rakish tilt to it, and the scarf around his neck gave his appearance a certain flair.

“You must not be talking about me,” Naruto said, putting his hands together and cracking his knuckles. He ran his tongue over each of his elongated canine teeth.

“Sorry,” the mikkyo shrugged. “We do not pay much attention to the world of men, except where they have things we want. Right now, we find ourselves in just that kind of situation.” When the rogue’s six tales appeared and began slowly waving, Naruto felt light-headed at first, but easily shook it off.

Score one for Nine Tails.

“Of course, whoever you may be in your world, you are honored by carrying the Kyuubi,” the male added.

Light reflected off of moving objects, drawing Naruto’s attention. He made it a point not to look too observant, as the kitsune probably thought that he was fooled by the woven glamour. The objects in question were nasty looking knives, one strapped to each of the tails.

“That’s a matter of opinion,” Naruto said. “So, why are we talking, instead of trying to do each other wrong. I’m not going to underestimate you, and you’re not going to scare me away.”

The kitsune began an even more elaborate illusion. The youma’s control of Naruto’s senses allowed him to see both the illusion and reality, superimposed upon one another. The rogue male looked as if he was standing still, talking. In actuality, he was circling around Naruto, throwing his voice to one spot.

As he walked, the mikkyo wove successive layers of illusion, and dropped a number of seal-wrapped items on the ground.

“You have something that we…… sorry, after your rather impressive efforts, there’s only me….” The kitsune chuckled. “You are guarding something that I want. I can’t figure out why you would be doing so, unless she has you in her thrall.”

“Uh huh. Maybe she does. Maybe she doesn’t.” Naruto took out a shuriken and began spinning it nonchalantly at the end of his finger. He gave no indication that he knew where the male was actually standing. “Are you interesting in killing her, or doing the horizontal mambo?”

The kitsune laughed. “You humans, so colorful with your language. Yes, we had wanted to find release in her. But, in the end, she is one of the myobu. Her death will be the first of many of her class. Inari’s temple is working against our plans. I would be surprised if she didn’t bring you here simply to fight with us, since her people have no true warriors.”

Naruto tensed up for a moment. He was not about to let his suspicions get the better of him. There was no way of telling if what he heard were true or not, but it would give him something to ponder later.

“Her death won’t come at your hand. At least not today, and not until I get what I am after.” Naruto made it a point to yawn then stretch. “I know that must piss you off, since there can’t be too many chances to get someone like her away from her place of safety.”

“Oh. I see. How sad for me.” The mikkyo yawned himself, then began examining his fingernails. “If you leave me the myobu, the matter between us will be over. I will also give you a badge of free passage, so no others of my group do you harm on the way home.” His voice suddenly got much harsher. “It is a good offer. That way, you and the human girl can go on living. If you refuse me, I will find… interesting… things to do with the white-eyed one.”

“Well, that just goes to show that you really don’t know anything about Uzumaki Naruto.” Naruto spat at the false image of the rogue. The illusion was so complete, that it seemed as if spittle ran down the kitsune’s face. “I promised to protect Kuko, so I really don’t have any choice in the matter. But, when you threaten my friend, things become personal.” Naruto struck a pose. “Thank you.”

The mikkyo shook his head.

“Even though you have a great spirit inside of you, you remain nothing but a pathetic human.” He took a dagger form a sheath and held it. In the other hand, he clasped a long string of polished stones, each beginning to glow with a lambent light.

“So, you have no problem with killing that great spirit along with me?” Naruto smiled. “I’m beginning to like you after all.” He moved, an instant before the kitsune did.

The arcane devices that the rogue male had dropped oriented on Naruto’s human chakra, and flew towards him at tremendous speed, exploding when they struck against him. He hit the ground hard, shaken.

Up until this point, Naruto’s most difficult battle had been with Sasuke, when he was under the influence of Orochimaru’s seal. But, he had been trying to stop his one time team mate, while the runaway had been trying to kill him. Even against opponents that he hated, the young ninja had always fought to win, or to save someone…… he had never fought simply to kill.

With this opponent, things were different.

No, it was not because Hinata was in danger, even though he would give his life to save her. No, it had nothing to do with Kuko, whom he intended to protect, as he had promised. This was because of Kyuubi. The demon’s bloodlust filled him, seeming to pulse through his body with each beat of his heart. With greater access to Naruto’s senses, the demon fox wanted to bring death and destruction on any scale he could.

There was no doubt whatsoever what Kyuubi would do if he ever gained his freedom.

Tasting Nine Tails’s thirst for killing, Naruto missed in his first attack, trying to gain complete control of his body at the last instant. That just would not do. He would have to let go, and then deal with the consequences later. Two kunei that should have blossomed in his foe’s chest just barely missed the dodging kitsune, as six razor-sharp daggers passed over him, one cutting free a small lock of blonde hair.

“Shit head!” Naruto’s shout was for himself. He attacked again, immediately, hoping to strike before that glowing necklace aided the mikkyo in some form of elemental jutsu. Dozens of clones popped into being, each throwing a shuriken, with some of the spinning weapons actually being clones in disguise.

The trick almost worked. However, the kitsune and spun the beads around his head, causing a blazing spiral of fire to spread away from him, destroying the incoming clones.

“You have some skills,” the rogue male said. “In a few years, you might have been a worthy opponent.” The kitssune took on the form of mist as a number of surviving clones tossed kunai in his direction. Resuming his natural fox form, he opened his mouth and shot forth a stream of poisoned needles.

Joining hands, Naruto pulled two clones into the path of the projectiles, then leaped upward just as the remaining needles passed near. That had been too close. Airborne, he sent out a wave of suicidal exploding clones, but the six-tailed fox was too nimble, escaping the ninja copies that pursued him.

For the next quarter of an hour……which seemed to stretched on like hours to Naruto……the kitsune changed form almost continuously, all the while tossing one jutsu after another. Rocks jumped out of the earth, caught fire, the streaked towards Naruto like miniature comets. Roots from the thick mats of brush grass formed scraggly hands that grabbed at his ankles. Numerous animals raced towards him from the forest, intended to distract him or cause him to stumble.

The young ninja countered with wall of dirt, blocking the blazing stones. Additional clones were put on animal control, while he himself tried to find an opening for an attack. The mikkyo was as good as anyone he had ever squared off against. This might come down to stamina and determination.

Or, it might come down to luck.

After Naruto managed to close for a brutal exchange of taijutsu techniques, the kitsune had flashed away a fair distance, blood staining his fine clothing. Snarling, the fox man rubbed some of that blood over the beads, then struck them against the ground.

“Let’s end this foolishness, now. Stop pretending you can win!” The mikkyo worked a summoning, causing a large wolverine to appear in front of him. “Kill him. Kill the human!”

Naruto swallowed hard. Small wolverines were nasty creature, mot something a person wants to stumble across unexpectedly. The summoned beast was ten time his size. It’s fangs were nearly as long as his arms.

His first urge was to take it on himself…… to charge it and sink his knives up to their hilt in its fur-shrouded neck…… reveling in the spray of blood. That was Kyuubi’s desire, the demon responding as if it were blind to the danger that Naruto faced. Fortunately, the anxious shinobi was able to make his own move at that time.

Biting his thumb, he performed Kuchiyose no Jutsu.

“Ha! Size does matter, asshole!” He yelled to the kitsune, shaking his fist. Standing on Gama Bunta’s warty head, Naruto pointed to the wolverine and shouted “Boss, that guy wants to kick my ass.”

“WHAT IS THIS? IN TROUBLE AGAIN? A WOLVERINE SPIRIT. AHHHHH. THIS SHOULD PROVE INTERESTING.”

The giant frog drew his blade. As an amphibian, he lacked suitable teeth and claws. The Gama no Tsurugi Kai would have to suffice.

The wolverine was dwarfed by the massive frog, just as it had made Naruto seem like a child’s play thing. But, if anything, its fury and attitude was far too large for its body. It’s speed was nothing short of phenomenal.

Leaving the relative safety of Gama Bunta’s head, Naruto flashed towards the ground, intent on dealing with the mikkyo.

He would trust his back to the Boss Frog.

“I’m a worthy opponent now!” He called out, gathering Rasengan. It was too slow of an attack, but there was no harm in trying. The next time he let the kistune see him prepare the spinning chakra, it would be clones doing it, as he attacked from an unexpected direction with a much swifter move. “I’m not the one pretending!”

Behind him, Gama Bunta cried out in pain, as his furred adversary avoided the sword swipe.

“OHHHHH. YOU WILL PAY FOR THAT INDIGNITY!”

The kitsune ran, but retreated with a purpose. When Naruto followed, the rogue male stopped by a branch of a large stream. Waving his arm, he caused countless fish-shaped forms of water to leap out of the stream, sending them speeding at his enemy.

Naruto dodged as well as he could, but there were too many missiles. They were unbelievably sharp, even though they were aqueous-based. His jumpsuit was shredded in spots, and his blood began running down his arms and legs.

Thrusting Rasengan at the kitsune, he missed when the fox took on the form of a flock of small birds.

It was an amazing illusion. But, with Kyuub’s input, Naruto could pick out the one true bird. It was small. It was incredible swift. A difficult target, to say the least. But, not for a broad wind-based attack!

The bird smacked into a wall of air that Naruto created, bouncing hard to the ground. As the stunned mikkyo took human form, his human adversary pounced. Naruto had meant to use a different attack, but had to force a compromise with Kyuubi, who wanted to tear out the kitsune’s throat with his human host’s teeth.

“Here’s some foolishness for you!” The precedent had been set in the battle with Shukaku. And, he would never forget the indignity of Kakashi’s attack when he challenged Team Seven with the bells for the first time.

“YOU TRIED THAT TRICK ALREADY! HAH!”

The Frog Boss’s shout to his foe preceded the end of that titanic struggle. The sight and sound of a severed wolverine head rolling and bouncing past him did not cause Naruto to pause or move out of the way. Blood splattered his face and clothes, but did not hinder his vision. He enacted the Konohagakure Furui Taijutsu Suukoujutsu, Itami no Sennen with an explosive kunai.

His savage joy at the nasty and humiliating trick was short-lived. Just before the detonation, he saw colored fire at the tips of the mikkyo’s hands. Somehow, Kyuubi realized that the kitsune was going to try and counter the seal on his host’s body. He froze up Naruto’s ability to move.

Gama Bunta’s tongue knocked the kitsune skyward, just as the explosion took place.

“Thanks, Oyabun!” Naruto shouted to the giant frog.

“I DID THAT FOR MYSELF, YOUNG ONE. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE NOISE THAT JIRAIYA WOULD MAKE, SHOULD I LET YOU BE HARMED. I ALSO HAVE NO WISH TO FACE KYUUBI. ”

“Yeh! Boss, I need some oil. Soak that guy!” Naruto pointed to the mikkyo, who painfully picked himself off of the ground, a number of his tales dropping singed hairs.

His cheek swelling, Gama Bunta belched forth a huge stream of oily liquid, his part of the Gama Yuendan. Naruto used a Katon style jutsu to ignite the material, and then watched as it enveloped the kitsune.

Grinning like a madman, Naruto bit his lip and sucked on the welling blood. Dropping down on all fours, he began speeding towards the mikkyo, who had changed form just as he had been struck by the flame. The heat had burned some of the bark off of the massive tree he had become, but he shed that covering and resumed human shape. His skin was seared and sloughing. One eye was closed.

As Naruto’s clawed hands tossed up chunks of loam and shredded vegetation, the rogue male closed his eyes and resorted to a last ditch attack. Screaming in terrible pain, he tore out four of his tails and threw them to the ground. An instant later, they took the form of large foxes, just as he himself did.

The five snarling beasts rushed out to meet the bestial young man.

Each fox performed elemental jutsu. Buffeted and wounded by various attacks, Naruto continue his mindless approach, blood trailing behind him as he leaped.

To the Boss Frog, it looked as if there was a snapping rolling mass of fur and cloth. The vicious physical attacks occurred in rapid succession, too fast to follow. Jutsus and special attacks forgotten, it was a primal struggle, five against one.

When two of the tail-grown kitsune were tossed away from the fight, Gama Bunta acted quickly, striking them with his huge front foot. Soon thereafter, a third furred form was tossed away from the fierce fighting, its back broken and its throat torn out.

At one point, only Naruto and the mikkyo were left. Staggering, the two stood and faced one another. Blood dripped down from Naruto’s mouth, covering his chin and throat. Slowly, he licked his lips, his eyes glowing with inhuman pleasure.

Moving its arms, the kitsune tried to work one last technique. Naruto, the beads in hand, wrapped the necklace around his foes’ neck, and strangled the final bit of life from him. Victorious, he looked skyward and shouted something inarticulate and barely human.

“IF THE FOX DEMON IS IN COMPLETE CONTROL, I WILL HAVE TO DO WHAT MUST BE DONE.”

The huge frog loomed over Naruto, lifting one huge foot. He hesitated, hoping for some kind of sign.

Using every bit of will power that remained, Naruto regained total mastery of his body. Knowing he needed to prove it was him in command and not Kyuubi, he chose a simple if undignified approach.

Dropping his trousers, he mooned his summoning.

“HO HO HO! I GUESS THAT ANSWERS MY QUESTION. WHAT AN IMPUDENT GUY!”

With that, a chuckling Gama Bunta disappeared in a huge cloud of dust and smoke.

Exhausted, and his chakra depleted, Naruto began staggering back up the hill. He hadn’t realized just how far the fight had taken him from Hinata and Kuko. For a moment, he was beset by fear, wondering if there could have been other rogue males that showed up during the fight.

Wiping blood from his eyes, he moved as quickly as he could, needing to see that the others were OK.

Walking into the shadows of the huge tree, he saw Kuko turn to face him. She had been sitting near Hinata, who was conscious and sitting, but looking very pale in the face.

The white-eyed girl looked shocked, taking in Naruto’s appearance. Seeing him in that transformed state, his facial features and clothing hidden by his blood, she thought at first that he was a kitsune.

“You’re alive!” Kuko ran and threw herself on him, not caring if she covered herself with the tacky red fluid.

“N-N-Naruto-kun?” Hinata tried to stand, but couldn’t.

“Yes, Hinata. It’s me. Why….” he looked down at his hands, then touched one finger to his sharp canine teeth. “Oh…… this……”

He froze. Hinata knew nothing of Kyuubi. She had never witnessed his transformed state before.

What was he going to tell her?

Kuko pressed her body against Naruto, overtaken by her lust and great relief. With some effort, Naruto managed to peel her off, grimacing in pain before falling to his rump.

“I’m…… I’m sorry….” The kitsune looked stricken for a moment, then ran to get water and bandages.

“Are…… are they gone, Naruto-kun?” Hinata stood and wobbled a bit, then fell back down. Undaunted, she slid along the ground until she sat next to Naruto. Shaking a bit, she removed a cloth from her pouch and began dabbing blood off of his face. She fought to remain conscious.

“Yes…… all those that we had come across before.” Naruto scratched his head. “You…… you must be wondering…..” He looked down at his clawed hands again.

Hinata nodded. Swallowing hard when her own pain made her wince, she continued with her small task.

“You will tell me what you can later, Naruto-kun. I know that.” Hinata looked into his eyes, trying hard not to tremble and look away. “I’m just glad that you’re safe.”

Naruto bowed his head. He would have to think up some answer for Hinata. Touched by her act, he promised himself that he wouldn’t lie. But, he also wouldn’t tell her about the demon.

“Thank you, Hinata-chan.” He said, suddenly feeling very weak. “I’ll leave our defense up to you now,” he joked, knowing that a child with a rock could finish them both off now.

“Hai!” Hinata said weakly, smiling as best she could.


Fox Hunt
This fanfic is complete.
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com