Fox Hunt

By dave-d
 

Chapter 5



Summary: What is going on? Why do all the girls that Naruto knows want him to father their children? Answer: Kitsune.

 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)



Disclaimer: No own, no mula, no sue. 

The fire crackled loudly.

The dancing flames wavered and gyrated in the occasion gust of wind.

Sparks flew up occasionally, as one of the two women poked at the logs underneath the cooking pot.

“You keep working on the broth we have, little sister.” Kuko laughed, amusing herself with that form of address. “I will go catch some more meat.” She smiled. “He’s a growing boy. He’s going to need all of the strength he has.” She whispered something about growing that had absolutely nothing to do with height.

With that, the kitsune took on her fox form and ran off into the darkness. Not too much later, the agonized squeal of a rabbit could be heard.

“Well…… at least she’s handy to have around,” Naruto said absentmindedly, carving some sticks into spits. He would prefer some meat to chew on, not just for the soup.

No doubt Kuko would be happy to be of service.

Watching as the pile of wood shavings grew, he thought back to the other night. The time for ultimatums came, as did the moment of agreement. He hoped that he hadn’t made a big mistake. While the thought of the fox women had him on edge, the mysterious nature of the temple bothered him even more.

The choice he made hadn’t been easy….. for a number of reasons. Each of the girls had offered some kind of useful specialty, or a level of experience that would come in handy.

But, he had been only willing to choose one.

That in itself may have been a crucial error. He might not need to do the deed with Kuko, much less any number of other eager kitsune. They may not find anything of value at the temple.

If that were true, there would have been greater safety in larger numbers.

Sighing, he thought back to that night, seeing things as if they were happening all over again. He had spoken his logic out loud, working his way through his choices:

“Anko?” He had started choking. “No!” Naruto actually broke out in a sweat. “Let’s just leave it at ‘no’.”

Anko mouthed the word ‘please.’ That actually had the kitsune shaking her head and turning big soulful eyes on Naruto.

“Anko’s out,” Naruto swallowed hard when the dark-haired woman took out a dagger and began flipping it. “Kurenai is very experienced,” he said, rubbing his chin. “I’ll keep her on the list of possibilities for now.”

“She’s getting to be of the age where she needs pups, too.” Kuko said mischievously. “I do not mind taking turns. We can see who pleasures you the best.”

Kurenai scowled and opened her mouth. She sighed. The kitsune was not worth the trouble.

“Uhhhh….” Naruto coughed again. “Sakura is my teammate. We fight very well together.” He saw Sakura smile and nod her head, then make a face at Ino. “But, we do our best when Kakashi is with us.” He pulled at one ear. “We still fight too much….”

“That kind of thing would probably stop, if you mounted her enough times,” Kuko added helpfully, running her tongue over one eye tooth. “I could teach her, helping her be patient and discrete like me.”

Sakura’s eyes bulged. Ino began chuckling.

“Sakura’s out,” Naruto said, shrugging. “She’s also the one who’s responsible for this situation. I don’t want her trying too hard to make up for that.” He took a step back when Sakura balled up a fist.

“That brings me to Ino and Ten Ten.” Those two girls stood impassively, eyes darting to Naruto and Kuko. “They have both grown very skilled since I was gone.” That had both girls grinning.

“But, while Ino’s Genjutsu and Ninjutsu have improved greatly, her Taijutsu still lags behind.” He gave Sakura a glare when she opened her mouth. “Similarly, Ten Ten’s Taijutsu is second only to Lee’s and Neji’s.” He returned that girls nod. “But, her other skills are not as formidable at this time.”

Naruto turned to look at Shizune a moment. He tapped his finger against his brow.

“Shizune would be helpful, as she is a better medical ninja than Sakura is.” He was about to continue when Kuko interrupted.

“She has also been with more males,” She said, after sniffing. “More than that girl has.” The kitsune looked over at Sakura, who began blushing. “The younger one is unbroken. Not surprising. Amongst kitsune, a wide forehead is a sign of deformity. We do not let such females breed.”

That had Ino covering her mouth, eyes shut. Sakura had to be restrained by Kurenai.

“If a kitsune’s tail were surgically removed in human form, would it also be absent from the fox itself?” Shizune asked in a conversational tone.

Kuko stood still, her mouth working, but no sound coming out.

“Just asking,” Shizune said with a smile. She didn’t have to be sweet and considerate all of the time.

“As I was trying to say,” Naruto said in a deep voice. “If I predicted a great need for medical treatment, I would over-ride my other concerns and select Sakura, because she has Old Lady Tsunade’s temperament and impressive strength.” He returned Sakura’s smile. “So, I guess that you’re out too, Shizune.”

Naruto walked over to Hinata, who tried to stand tall, and had stopped rubbing her fingers together.

“Hinata…..” He stood studying her for a while, so that everyone began to feel uncomfortable in the silence. “While she won’t tell me the particulars…..” He gave Kurenai a nasty look. “Kurenai tells me that you were already tempted, but held true.”

Hinata nodded, biting her lip.

“And, you have the Hyuuga skills.” Naruto scratched the back of his neck, eyes narrowed. “Your ability to visualize chakra might be very useful when we are faced by unknown creatures.”

“There won’t be any need to have such concerns,” Kuko rushed to put in. “As long as I’m with you.” She blew him a kiss.

“So you say,” Naruto said, raising one eyebrow. “So…… you……say….” He turned back to Kurenai. “You know Hinata best of all. How have the rest of her skills progressed, aside from the ones that her father and Neji have taught her.”

“Very well,” the jounin answered. “I never really expected her to make chuunin. Actually, at one point, I wasn’t convinced that she would make genin.” She smiled, seeing Hinata raise her head and stand a little taller. “Now, I fully expect her to join me in the jounin ranks some day.”

“Heh! I am not surprised. Her Ninja Way is a lot like mine.” Naruto nodded his head, thinking back to Hinata’s fight with Neji. “But, this mission is not only about me.” He folded both arms across his chest. “If we meet our objective, could she put the Leaf first and bring the information home, even if it meant leaving her fellow ninja behind?”

Naruto saw a kindred spirit in Hinata, regarding her loyalty to her friends. But, while he could put the mission ahead of his friends if necessary, he didn’t know if the white-eyed girl could do the same.

“Absolutely.” Kurenai obviously had faith in her former student. “Even y….” She almost let something slip. “Even…… even yesterday…… I noticed that change in her.”

Kuko grinned. She could mention the white-eyed girl’s obvious crush. But, it might be more fun to keep it a secret.

Naruto stood quietly again, eyeing Hinata for a few moments, then Kurenai. He repeated the process a number of times. It was down to those two.

“OK,” he finally said. “Hinata it is.” He nodded. “The Byakugan may come in very handy.”

Hinata blushed. She tried not to smile. There was an important mission at hand. This was not like being asked to a dance or something.

“It’s settled, then.” Naruto said, after Kurenai and Anko both admitted that he had thought things through very well. “I really think that I should take more…… but….” Naruto shook his head.

Kuko nodded her head vigorously.

“One kitsune is more than enough. Whatever…… I uhhh…… end up doing.” Naruto jumped when the kitsune grabbed his hand and licked it.

“Want me to tell your fortune?” She asked with a sly grin. “Your turn,” she said to Hinata. “Lick the other hand.” Her laughter sent chills down Naruto’s spine. “The rest belongs to me. At least until I’m done with him.”

Hinata froze.

The image evaporated. Naruto’s thoughts snapped back to the present.

He looked over at Hinata. She had been very quiet during the trip, and had put up with a fair amount of teasing from Kuko. Her small size was no indication of the strength of her spirit.

After tasting the broth, she wrapped some fish that Kuko had caught in large leaves, then placed them on the fire. After that, she began paring fruit.

“Isn’t she just so…… domestic….”

Naruto jumped. He hadn’t heard the kitsune walk up behind him. Turning around with a grimace on his face, he noted that Kuko had a rabbit in one hand and a partridge in the other.

“I found a lot of bugs too. I ate them. I didn’t think you or the girl would want any.”

Naruto didn’t say anything. That statement reminded him just how different the fox woman was from Hinata and him, despite the fact that she looked like a remarkably beautiful woman at the moment.

Kuko listened for a moment, then smiled, hearing something off in the wooded area.

“Oh! I forgot to mention something. I invited some guests to dinner!” She smiled. Calling over to Hinata she said “Little sister, my family is joining us. Make certain the soup is good. They’re bringing their own meat.”

“WHAT!” Naruto stood up. “If this is some kind of trick….”

“Would I do that?” Kuko asked. “Yes I would. But not tonight. I made my deal. They made theirs.” She looked over at Hinata. “You brought along one scrawny female. My family can do a better job of protecting you tonight.”

Hinata looked over at Kuko, without saying anything.

“Maybe,” Naruto replied. “But, Hinata doesn’t look scrawny to me. And I trust her more than I trust you and your family.” He ran his hand through his hair. “When she speaks, it’s usually worth something.”

Kuko frowned. Hinata blushed.

“Is the happy couple having a spat?” A voice asked. “Good. That will give them a chance to kiss and make up.”

It was Tenko. Soon she and the other five kitsune walked into view.

“You are so lucky, Kuko!” A slender woman said with an eye on Naruto. Her hair was similar in color to Kuko’s. “Oooooh. I wish it was me….”

“Kiko!” Tenko’s voice snapped like a whip. “You are out of place!” The graceful silver-haired woman turned to look at Naruto. “I apologize for her. She’s relatively young. And, Sound Kitsune tend to be a bit skittish.”

Naruto felt very uneasy. The unbridled lust and avarice in the fox women’s eyes was more than just a little unnerving.

“I see. Sound Kitsune. There are different types, then.” He looked at Kuko. “Is Kuko a Sound Kitsune as well? That might explain why she seems to be talking most of the time.” Naruto ignored the look that Kuko gave him. He wished that the kitsune woman would tone her act down. Looking over at Hinata, he wished that she would talk more.

“No,” Tenko smiled, seeing the look on Kuko’s face. “Kuko is a Void. A Dark Kitsune.” The Celestial fox’s eyes shone. “They tend to be the most…… free-spirited….”

Naruto’s eyes narrowed. He did not like the sound of ‘Dark Kitsune.’ Tenko saw that and quickly interjected

“She is no more evil than the rest of us,” she told Naruto. “We kitsune are amoral. Good and evil mean little to us. Rather, the concept of right and wrong becomes the deciding factor. And, our view on that might not match up with your own.” She nodded to Kuko.

“Yes,” Kuko said. “We follow our own code of ethics, adapting the morals of those around us, more for the sake of being accepted than for any other reason. Especially at this time in our cycle.“ The look she gave Naruto had Hinata dropping the spoon she held.

“Careful little sister!“ Kuko called out. The other kitsune smiled. Tenko looked at Naruto, sighed, then shrugged, a very human looking gesture.

“Shakko, you may continue.” Kuko nodded to a short but voluptuous woman with fire-red hair. “But don’t stare at him when you talk. Or drool. He’s mine.”

“Shakko is a Fire Kitsune,” Tenko added. “She has a temper to match.” The look she gave Shakko clearly told her to behave.

“Kitsune can be both allies and enemies to the mortals around them,” Shakko said, walking closer to Naruto despite Kuko‘s glare. “If someone offends what a kitsune considers 'correct', they can become evil, malicious, and disruptive.” She leaned over and whispered in his ear. “But I would never do that to you.”

“Shakko!” Kuko’s tails were back and moving wildly.

“Hmmm? Oh. Sorry. My bad,” Shakko winked at Naruto. “If someone behaves according to their ethics, they will become polite, kind, and helpful.” She smiled and whispered again. “I can be very helpful.”

Kuko walked over and pushed Shakko away. The too stood glowering at one another, each with her four tails whipping back and forth. Shakko’s looked to be aflame. Koku’s seemed to radiate darkness.

“ENOUGH!”

Tenko’s voice had Hinata dropping the spoon again. Naruto shook his head. “Girls are troublesome,” he drawled, using one of Shikamaru’s phrases.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Tenko said, moving up next to him. “Myself included.” She winked, then pointed a finger at the two angry fox women. “That is not the way for myobu to behave!” The edge to her voice had both kitsune bowing low to her.

Naruto opened his mouth to speak, but Tenko anticipated his question. “Nogitsune, explain for the young mate…… sorry…… for the young man….”

“Certainly, Celestial one.” A lithe woman with elaborately braided chestnut-colored hair bowed her head. “I am a Spirit Kitsune. Like those here tonight, I am myobu. That means I am important enough to have my own minor shrine. If there was royalty among our kind, we would be it.”

“Oh,” Naruto said. For a moment, his pride swelled up twice normal side. He had royal kitsune after his booty! Thinking a minute, he grew more serious, trying to digest everything he had heard.

“So, if one does not step on a kitsune’s tail, so to speak….” he chuckled at the look on the fox women’s faces. “Then he doesn’t have to ever worry about them acting in evil fashion?” He looked Tenko in the eyes. “I’m not talking simple mischief or minor malevolence.”

“That’s not true, Naruto-kun.“ Hinata shrank back some, seeing the look that Tenko gave her. But, she set her chin and continued speaking. “The last king of the Shang Dynasty was brought low by his love for a cruel and beautiful concubine named Daji. After his death, the soldiers who caught and executed Daji were stunned to discover that she was no mortal woman, but a fox.”

Kuko stared over at Hinata. She clenched and unclenched her hands.

“According to some tales, the evil Chinese concubine Pao Sze escaped her fate and fled to Japan, where she became a court lady named Tamamo-no-Mae and captured the heart of Emperor Toba.”

Some of the kitsune growled when they heard that woman’s name. More than one looked down at the ground. Hinata swallowed hard and continued. Naruto was impressed by her courage. After all, the two of them were outnumbered.

“When he began to sicken, suspicious courtiers hatched a plot. They discovered that the elegant Lady Tamamo was a fox in disguise, and chased her across Nasuno Moor until she changed herself into a stone. The stone, the Sesshoseki, or Killing Stone, was so imbued with the fox's evil that it killed all who approached it.” Hinata finished by saying “She was supposed to have been a golden nine-tailed kitsune.”

“We usually do not speak of them,” Tenko said, her voice dripping with venom. “They are a blot on all of our kind.” She waved her arm and a small whirlwind surrounded Hinata for a moment. “You should keep in mind that all kitsune are emotional and very vengeful. Kitsune will lose their temper at the slightest provocation. Telling such tales can be considered such.”

“Yes,” Kuko said. “Once someone has earned a kitsune's enmity, the kitsune will begin enacting revenge that can become quite extreme.”

“Really?" Naruto asked, scowling. “Let’s see how true that is.” he walked over to Kuko. He kicked dirt on her expensive shoes. “If you're not going to enact revenge on me, then don't think about doing anything to my friend.” He kicked on a bit more dirt. “Especially since she's looking out for my benefit."

Kuko fought to contain herself. Then she smiled. “You can see why I really don’t want to share him,” she said. “He’s a handful. But I bet he breaks in real nice.”

Naruto ignored her. He walked over and stood toe to toe with Tenko. There was a potential for a power struggle here, and he could not afford to back down. It was time to be forceful and direct. He would eschew tact for the moment.

All of the kitsune began growling. Some took their natural form, teeth showing. Tenko began glowing with an eerie silver light.

“I am not a play thing,” Naruto said. “And I am not impressed by threats.”

Hinata saw what he didn’t. The kitsune were drawing nearer to him. She prepared to perform Kaiten.

“Hinata is not a scullery maid.” Naruto gave Kuko a pointed look. “And, if our village had royalty, her family would be it.” That last was directed to Tenko. "She has as much right to speak her mind as anyone else here. Without fear of repercussion."

Naruto was pleased with himself. While he had been confrontational, he had controlled himself. It wasn't easy.

Tenko raised her arm. The other kitsune stopped. Hinata looked to Naruto, heart welling with gratitude.

“You do have spirit,” Tenko said. “Too much for your own good.” She smiled. “I admire you for it.” Her face went dark suddenly. “But realize this. In my own way, I am a match for your Hokage. At the very least.”

“So?” Naruto said, shrugging. “Should I call you ‘Granny’ too?” He stood looking into the Prime Kitsune’s eyes. Neither looked ready to back down.

“Soup’s ready,” Hinata said, wanting to break the tension.

Tenko closed her eyes. After some time, she smiled. “That small one is wise,” she said. “I shall not be offended at her telling a true tale.” Looking at Naruto, she continued. “There have been kitsune that your kind would consider purely evil. None of us fit that mold. If we did, you would have been taken…… used as our slave…… then left for dead. Many others in your village would have suffered, too.”

Turning away from Naruto, she walked over to Hinata. “I will have some soup, child.”

“Hey! Hinata’s not….” Naruto didn’t have a chance to finish.

“It’s alright, Naruto-kun. She did not mean it as an insult. If you eat enough, perhaps you won’t be so spirited.” After biting her lip, she bowed to Tenko and filled a bowl for her.

Tenko chuckled, her mood changing. “Are you sure you do not wish to be a kitsune, young one. You have better manners than some others I know. Right, Koryu? Genko?” Her words had a blonde-haired woman and a smaller dark-haired woman shuffling their feet a bit.

Hinata shook her head.

Naruto’s mouth fell open. That was what they had offered Hinata? To be a kitsune….

Koku walked over and took off her shoes. She dumped the dirt on Naruto’s head. Bumping him with her hip, she went over and picked up a bowl.

“I’ll have some too, little sister.” She looked back over at Naruto, speaking so only Hinata could hear her. “Maybe if I eat enough, I won’t be so spirited either. Though, it would be simpler if he just wore me out. Know what I mean?”

Hinata’s first spoonful missed the bowl.

“You should eat a bit yourself,” the kitsune said. “That way he might pay attention to you after I’m through with him.”

Another spoonful hit the ground.

“If you help me work on him for me…… I’ll help you work on him for you.” Koku tossed her hair.

Hinata held the spoon motionless for a moment, then shook her head.

“Hmm. You need more courage, if you ever want to win one such as him. Together, we could do that. You could have him all the time, except when I am in…… my current state. At those times, he would be mine. He would get variety. We would get him.” She looked over at the other kitsune. “Before others did.”

Hinata’s hands gripped the spoon handles so hard, that her fingers blanched.

“If the words are stuck to your tongue, I can tell him how you feel. She smiled a wicked smile. “I can be honest…… or I can embellish things….”

“N-N-No….” Hinata looked worried.

“Not to worry, little sister. I promise I won’t tell him.” Kuko stretched, showing off her full figure. “But, if you wait too long, he may never develop a taste for you.” She reached out and ran her hand over Hinata’s hair. “Nice. He might like the feel of it. If he doesn’t become accustomed to something else.” She turned, tossing her hair against Hinata’s face as she left.

Hinata stood staring at Kuko as she walked over to speak with other kitsune. With some effort, she looked over to Naruto, who was being pestered by a majority of the fox women.

“It’s time for our dance!” Kiko said. “We should all dance naked tonight!” She bit on her lustrous indigo hair as she looked over at Naruto.

“No!” Kuko said. “Absolutely not!”The look she gave Kiko had the younger woman cringing. “We will keep our clothes on.” Then she smiled. “Unless we can convince little sister to dance in the nude.”

Hinata froze. Not paying attention, she placed her hand on the edge of the glowing pot. Eyes widening in pain, she put her fingers in her mouth. She shook her head ‘no’.

“No fun!” Koryu said, seconded by Genko.

“But…… it could be…..” Shakko said, running her hands all along her body, licking her lips. “The dance need not be purely ceremonial.” She took a few steps towards Naruto, only to be blocked by Kuko. “We could dance with a partner tonight. Much the way the humans do.”

There was no doubt who she intended the partner to be.

“NO!” Kuko shouted, losing her composure for a moment. “Besides, remember your promise. You will not chase after him. Only I still have that privilege.”

“It wouldn’t be chasing, if he agreed.” Nogitsune said, working her hair into an elaborate bun. “If he became passionate during the dance because of my beauty, that wouldn’t be my doing.”

“I don’t….” Kuko was cut off.

“Well…… I think it’s a wonderful idea. Some opportunities come around only once, even in a life as long as ours. I find the idea charming…… as well as….. you know….” Tenko had to look away from Naruto, maintaining her poise. “But, we would have to be very cautious. If anyone were to cross the line and break their word, she would be banished from the family…..myself included….”

Naruto sat quietly, his eyes narrowed. It wasn’t a trick then, given that last comment. Still, he wasn’t one for dancing. And, if he did find himself close to so many attractive women, he might find his resolve weakening.

Too much adoration and desire might be worse than none at all. If he found himself liking it, how would he feel when he was soon forgotten?

All of the kitsune began talking in hushed tones. Some began changing their images, wearing one style of dress or another. Some outfits were centuries out of date, but seemed exciting and mysterious now. There were those that were rather elegant, contrasted to some that were at best indecent.

Hinata looked down at her simple blouse and slacks. She ran her fingers over her chuunin vest.

“Before you get too excited girls, you forgot one important thing.” Tenko looked over at Naruto. “Our young prince must agree. I sense that he is not one for the dance.” She smiled, seeing the look on Naruto’s face. “It might be a result of the difficult life he has had lead.”

At that, all of the kitsune made soothing noises, looking at Naruto with sympathy as well as lust.

“It could be because he does not feel he is skilled enough, and has seen our natural grace.” Tenko almost laughed, watching Naruto scowl. “But, I believe we could forgive him almost anything, even clumsiness.”

All of the fox women chuckled.

Hinata looked down at her feet, thinking about her own clumsiness.

“I know I will, no matter how clumsy he is.” Kuko grew prideful and possessive. “But I’m not talking about dancing….”

The comments that the kitsune made after that had Naruto blushing. Hinata swallowed hard. Kurenai had warned her that this might be a difficult mission in ways she didn’t expect. The jounin had been right on the mark.

“The young man might also be afraid that he wouldn’t be able to resist us…… might even find himself desiring us…… if he gets too close, smells our scent, and feels our warm bodies pressed against his.” Tenko winked at Naruto, who jumped. She was clever, that one. No doubt about it.

“I smell very nice!” Koryu said.

“And I am very very warm,” Genko added.

Tenko raised her arm, quieting the kitsune, knowing they were all about to sing their own praises, and concerned that things might get too fractious and competitive.

“You may all try to convince him, if you like. But, I suspect that if you come on too strong, you might harden his resolve against any such sport.” She began braiding her hair with exceptional skill and swiftness. “This will be a good test for you all. Perhaps it is best that you work as a family, not a group of wanton harlots.”

Hinata took the fish out of the fire and made up plates for herself and Naruto. She left the remaining pieces wrapped, in case any of the kitsune wanted some. Being considerate in that situation was not difficult.

It was her way.

Straining, she also worked to move the hot pot off of the fire, using the ends of her sleeves as pot holders.

“Here, let me help.”

It was Naruto. As the fox women all looked on with less than their best graces, he took out a pair of thick gloves from his pouch and grabbed hold of the pot.

“Everyone else is worried about dancing; but you are the only one worrying about people other than yourself. Myself included.” He smiled. “Thank you, Hinata.”

Hinata blushed. She looked up into Naruto’s blue eyes and opened her mouth. She stayed silent, not knowing just what she wanted to say.

“Yes. Thank you so very much, little sister.” Kuko’s comment had the kitsune laughing, but for various reasons. Some looked on human females with condescending attitudes. Others realized that Kuko had been stung by Naruto’s remark.

After that, the fox women tried various means to convince Naruto to dance with them. He found it hard to eat the soup and fish that Hinata brought him, because he had to keep rejecting their requests. When he refrained from answering, they simply clustered closer around him and began begging.

They were noisy as individuals; but combined…Geeeez…

Kuko walked over and cleared them away from Naruto. She sat down next to him on the large fallen tree he had chosen as a seat. She bumped Hinata aside, unhappy to see that the girl had sat down close to Naruto.

“I think that we will just have to dance and cavort naked, then.” She said, nibbling on Naruto’s ear. “If you won’t dance with us.”

“OK. I have no problem with that.” Naruto trusted in his own will power. He also knew that this story would put Jiraiya in the infirmary for at least a week. “Knock yourselves out.” He folded his arms across his chest. “It might actually help me, finding someone I think is better looking than you.” That last bit ought to bring her down a peg or two.

“N-N-Naruto-kun….” Hinata blushed.

Naruto turned a bit red himself, then turned to Hinata and shrugged. He had to do what he had to do. It wasn’t his fault if he would find himself enjoying it.

Kuko looked worried for a moment, but then smiled slyly. She looked at Hinata and rubbed her hands together for a moment. Nodding her head, she stood up and called the other kitsune together.

“Our valiant champion had refused our request. But, he has said that he will gladly watch us dance naked.” The initial disappointment didn’t last long. “But, there is one among us whose beauty is beyond ours. We should aspire to be more like her!”

Tenko smiled, and then sighed. She knew what Kuko had in mind.

“Huh?” Naruto said. Just what nonsense was Kuko up to now? If she was looking for a battle of wit or wills, she might get more than she bargained for.

“Genko, you were the one who spied upon little sister, weren’t you.” Kuko’s question had the other kitsune nodding. “And you learned each and every curve and dimple on her body, did you not?” Her question had the dark-haired woman nodding again. “Show us, so we can all copy her form.”

“WHAT!” Naruto stood up.

Hinata sat, shocked. They couldn’t be thinking of doing that, could they….

“Oh!” Genko said, finally catching onto Kuko’s plan. “Here!” She was suddenly naked, and exact replica of Hinata.

“Not bad, little sister.” She said, looking over at a trembling Hinata. “Right, big guy?” She turned her most wicked smile on Naruto.

Soon, all of the women had taken on Hinata’s form.

“It might be better if the breasts were a bit larger,” Kiko said critically.

“I think she should grow her hair longer, too.” Koryu added.

“The ass is nice and round though,” Genko declared.

“And the….” Shakko never got to say what she had wanted to.

“ALRIGHT ALREADY!” Naruto stood on the log, his eyes closed. He debated whether it was better to stay like that until he fell asleep, or to agree to their request for dancing.

It might not be wise to sleep at all that night, despite whatever assurances the kitsune gave him. And, if he just closed his eyes and drifted oft into la la land, he wouldn’t get to pay Kuko back with a trick of his own.

“You don’t like the look of this body?” Kuko asked, her voice rich with mischief.

“THAT’S NOT IT!” Naruto answered without thinking. “I never realized that Hinata looked that good...” He stopped, swallowing hard. “I mean…… uhhh……”

Hinata blushed yet again. She was mortified by all this. But, it might make her feel better later on, hearing that Naruto thought she was attractive.

Naruto knew he should keep his mouth shut, but couldn’t resist getting a dig in at Kuko. It would also help him cover up his embarrasment.

“She may not be as pretty as the bunch of you…… ladies…… but all things considered, little sister….” He bit his tongue. “I mean Hinata…. may be the best looking one of you all….” As he finished saying that, he realized that in a way he actually felt that way.

Hinata might not look nearly as good as the fox women... or as good as some of the girls back in Konoha... but too much perfection was a bit overwhelming and intimidating. Besides, Hinata was a good person, and that counted for something too.

“Naruto-kun….” Hinata felt somewhat numb, but a small bit of warmth began spreading through her.

Tenko laughed, finding Naruto’s efforts delicious. Kuko was often very full of herself, and it was nice to see someone giving her a run for her money. At that moment, she very much regretted giving her promise to Kurenai. By the look on everyone’s face except Kuko, there was little doubt that the other kitsune felt the same way.

“If you all promise never to take on Hinata’s form again, you will see Uzumaki Naruto as your dance partner.” Naruto didn’t sigh or look defeated. Tenko noticed that, and raised one eyebrow. The other kitsune were too eager to take note. In the blink of an eye, they were all back in their own human forms.

Each of them rushed to make the promise. Then, as they stood expectant, Naruto walked over to the center of the small clearing they had set up camp in. A hush came over the fox women. Who would he dance with first?

They all looked at Tenko, who declined that honor.

“If Tenko does not wish first dance, then I believe it should go to me….. for all of the obvious reasons.” Kuko preened. She bit her lip, finding that she was actually exited, not just lustful. Naruto was beginning to effect her on a whole different level.

“It’s not a problem,” Naruto said, smiling. “I will dance with all of you at the same time!”

A number of shadow clones appeared in the clearing.

“Choose your ladies, men.” Naruto said, holding back a laugh. “Be careful. They're rather feisty!” He smiled, seeing the look on everyone’s face, the clones included.

Tenko actually clapped her hands together. It was a good trick. No, it was an excellent trick. The boy was far more than just the vessel for Kyuubi.

“I, for one, would be honored to dance,” the Celestial fox said. She walked over to one clone who swallowed hard, held up his arms, then was swept away by the graceful woman.

Hearing that, the other kitsune sighed sadly and followed suit. All except Kuko. She was furious.

“You should dance with me,” she said to Naruto. “You might actually enjoy it.” She smiled at first, but soon narrowed her eyes and clasped her hands together. “If you continue embarrass me before the family, I will not strike back at you.” She looked over at Hinata. “But, others may not be so fortunate.”

Kuko might not be able to win Naruto’s affections, or to seduce him by her looks and mannerisms alone. But, they had their deal. No matter how she acted now, if they found useful information at the temple, he would be hers.

Still, she found herself wishing he would come to her of his own choosing.

“If you continue to tryand embarrass Hinata…… I will defend the honor of my fellow ninja.” He nodded to Hinata. “I will also defend my friend….”

“Th-Th-Thank you, Naruto-kun….” Hinata looked away from Kuko. She gave her fellow shinobi a timid smile.

“I am no one to anger,” Kuko said. “Up until now, you have only seen my playful side.”

“The same goes for me,” Naruto said. He took out Kuko’s Hoshi-no-tama and held it up before her eyes. “Remember this?” He concentrated hard for a brief moment. “It would be a shame to lose it.” Without warning, he wound up and threw it as hard as he could, up through the tops of the trees across the clearing.

“NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!”

The anguished scream echoed through the forest.

The kitsune all stopped dancing. One by one, the clones popped out of existence.

“What is it, Kuko?” Tenko asked.

“M-M-My ball…… he threw it far away…..” She was devastated. Taking her fox form, she ran from one side of the clearing to another. “You all must help me find it. I can’t lose it. I can’t!” She dropped down to the ground, quivering, wrapping her tails around her vulpine body. “

Please….”

“Girls!” Tenkjo’s voice snapped like a whip. “We must help her. If that ball were to fall into the wrong hands….”

“Kuko would lose all of her tails and rank!” Shakko said, aghast.

“And some despicable creature could make her do his will…..” Kuryo looked horrified.

“How could you do that!” Nogitsune asked Naruto, her eyes filled with hatred.

“I am no one to anger,” Naruto said, echoing Kuko.. “Up until now, you have only seen my playful side.” He looked over at Tenko. “But, I am not stupid. And, I am not cruel.”

He whistled.

A clone dropped down to the ground. A number of copies had taken to the tree tops.

“Nice catch,” Naruto said. “At least I hope so.” He began to realize what might happen if his trick backfired.

The shadow clone tossed Naruto the star ball before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

Seeing how hard Kuko was shaking, Naruto felt a pang of guilt. He hadn’t meant to hurt her. All he wanted to do was keep her more in line. Walking over to the kitsune, he thought a moment. He knew his decision was stupid, but he was who he was.

It was the right thing to do.

“Here. You can keep it. I didn’t mean to upset you that much.” He placed the Hoshi-no-tama under one of Kuko’s paws.

Everyone went completely silent for a number of minuets, making Naruto feel uncomfortable. He wondered if he had broken some serious kitsune taboo or covenant.

Tenko walked slowly over to Naruto, then bowed. She kissed Naruto on the forehead, then went to comfort Kuko.

Hinata looked at Naruto, her heart filled with pride for him. She knew that his surrender of the ball might mean more trouble for herself down the road, but it was worth it, having a chance to see just how special he was.

The other kitsune stood looking at Naruto. Both Nogitsune and Shakko bowed as Tenko had, since the older woman expected it of them. But, both older foxes had a sour expression on their faces, upset at the trick Naruto had played. Nonetheless, being tricksters themselves, they had to admit it was a very effective sleight of hand.

The younger ones also had mixed feelings, but they couldn't resist the way that Naruto’s final act tugged at their heartstrings.

“Ohhhh. Now I want him even more.”

“Not as much as I do!”

“He’s too good for Kuko. Tenko should have him.”

“You’ve really done it now,” Kuko said, back on her feet and in human form again. “I never imagined a human doing what you did. Giving back his power over me when he was not forced to.” Her eyes were unreadable. “I might just be able to see myself living as a human woman for a while…… if it was with you….”

Naruto found himself feeling very uneasy. He had learned how to deal with the lustful look in Kuko’s eyes. But this new look: what was it? Had Kuko started caring about him in some way? If she had, should it matter any?

And, how could he ever be certain she wasn't trying to trick him in some way?

"Of course, you did throw the ball and get me upset..." Kuko's posture promised more mischief.

“Let’s start the dance again!” Genko said. “That was over too soon.”

The other kitsune picked up that cue, and began pestering Naruto again. He swallowed hard, nodding his head. Another group of clones appeared. The women quickly snatched them up.

“Would you…… would you dance with me?” Kuko asked. It was a simple quiet request, something out of character for her.

Naruto sat and thought for a few moments.He found himself wanting to get closer to Kuko. But, he had always been a sucker for acceptance and attention. If dancing with the kitsune toned her behavior down, it would be a good thing. But, if he let her feelings influence his own, he might be setting himself up for a world of hurt.

There was something else to consider. No, someone else. He found himself thinking about Hinata. Not just how she had looked naked…… well it wasn’t really her, even though they had all looked like her…… but also about how she had behaved, and how she had been made light of.

“Yes,” Naruto said solemnly. “But only after I dance with someone else.” He left Kuko and walked over to Hinata, holding out his hand. “I…… I don’t really know how to dance, Hinata-chan….”

“Naruto-kun?” Hinata sat confused for a moment. At first, she couldn’t believe that Naruto might ask her to dance.

“I thought……” Naruto found this moment even more stressful than the others things he had dealt with that evening.

Why?

“I wondered if you might like to…… you know…… dance or something.” He scratched his head. “With me….”

Hinata felt as if she was about to melt. She couldn’t speak. All she could manage to do was nod her head, then smile a shy smile.

It was a surprisingly tender moment. That of course did not sit well with Naruto’s subconscious, which had no experience with such things. He began feeling very uncomfortable for some reason.

That led to the usual kind of comment.

“You can keep your clothes on, if you like.” Naruto said, grinning.

Hinata almost fell over as she was standing up. It might be a special moment for her; but, some things never change.

“Th-Th-Thank you, Naruto-kun.”


Fox Hunt
This fanfic is complete.
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com