Fox Hunt

By dave-d
 

Chapter 2



Summary: What is going on? Why do all the girls that Naruto knows want him to father their children? Answer: Kitsune.

 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)



Disclaimer: No own, no mula, no sue. 

Dust kept falling off of the scroll.

The parchment was faded and cracked, requiring a bright light to read certain passages.

“I don’t see any specific mention of the words Shi Tenno, or the name Zocho.” Tsunade said.

Naruto sighed. That was good news. He had reported his experience with Kuko to Tsunade, wisely omitting any reference the kitsune made to Tenko.

“However,” the Hokage said. “I do find reference to four guardian kings or deities. It looks as if they started off as devas in a distant land, then became part of the legends of the great lands to the east.” Her long nails tapped one part of the scroll. Scowling, she squinted.

“There is mention of a Virudhaka, also known as Mo-Li Hung. There was a Dhrtarastra, known by others as Mo-Li Ching. Vaisravana, was called Mo-Li Shou and Virupaksa assumed the name Mo-Li Ha.”

Naruto began rubbing the back of his neck. The whole business with Kuko had him very tense. Part of him kept telling him to just give in, getting the whole mess over with. Another part kept thinking about Akatsuki, wondering if there really were shamans somewhere that could provide him with important information.

“Virudhaka was said to govern in the south and to preside over the summer. He was called 'He who enlarges the kingdom' and 'the powerful one'. That could very well correspond with this Zocho that the fox woman mentioned.”

“So, do you think that Kuko was telling the truth, Old Lady?” Naruto sat up straighter.

“I don’t know,” Tsunade said, frowning. “But, you can make her promise to tell the truth when she returns. She will keep her word. If her answer is too convoluted or vague, it might mean she is trying to trick you.” She sighed. “But even if it is the truth, there will no doubt be tricks involved somewhere.”

“Shit,” Naruto said. “One damn fox is enough. Why did I need to get more trouble?” He smacked his fist against one leg. “Damn tricksters.”

Tsunade giggled, making Naruto look directly at her. Up until that point, he had made an effort to look at everything in the room except the Hokage.

“What?” He stuck out his lower lip.

“It’s funny,” Tsunade said. “You, complaining about tricksters!” She shook her head, a fond look on her face. Her brother had been a bit of a scamp too. “But, I guess that means if anyone had a chance with the kitsune, it would be you.” Her face clouded over. “But, they are not only mischievous…… they are very clever…… and devious….”

Naruto’s eyes widened for a moment. He smiled a wicked smile.

“I am too, Granny Tsunade!” he chuckled. “Maybe if I took on the appearance of Ero-Sennin…… and acted just like him…… it would drive the kitsune away.”

Tsunade grinned, before massaging her temples and beginning anew.

“It says here that Virudhaka was depicted as a helmeted warrior wearing armor and wind-blown scarves. He has a blue complexion and a wrathful expression. He holds a sword in his right hand and his closed left hand rests on his hip.” She showed Naruto a faded illustration. “So, if the temple exits…… and is dedicated to Zocho…… and Zocho is indeed related to Virudhaka…… then you should see something like that in statues or decorations.”

“That’s a lot of ‘ifs’.” Naruto said, kicking at the corner of Tsunade’s desk. “If Kurenai and the girls hadn’t shown up, Tenko would have had her way with me, and life would be back to normal. Almost.” He hated having things hanging over his head. There was more than enough of that in his life already.

He suddenly realized just what he had said. It almost felt as if the temperature in the room dropped a couple of degrees.

He was unable to look at Tsunade again.

The Hokage cleared her voice after a few moments of silence. She read aloud.

“Virudhaka's army and attendants consist of the kumbhandas and the pretas. The kumbhandas are spirit eating demons who are known for their huge scrotums. They have human bodies and horses’ heads. The pretas are the hungry ghosts. Since yakshas are classified as hungry ghosts, Virudhaka's pretas are often considered yakshas as well. I recognize one of those words. “

“Great!” Naruto spat out. “Which one?”

“The Japanese equivalents of the pretas are the Gaki, the hungry ghosts. Invisible to humans in their real form, they can assume any shape. They are depicted as footless beings with wide mouths and swollen bellies. Not something you would want to meet, if they actually exist.” Tsuande rubbed her eyes, and then coughed because of all of the dust.

“Wonderful!” Naruto said. “I if I don’t get molested, I could get eaten. Sign me up for this mission!”

“Let’s see. The decription of Yakshas says that they are pot-bellied, squat creatures and are considered to be keepers of water holes. They are very fond of riddles. Those who answer their riddles are richly rewarded, while those who don't risk death.” The Hokage yawned. She had been up late as well, searching through her library. “That could be better than the Gaki….. except that it says that Yakshas eat the flesh of humans.”

Naruto just shook is head and closed his eyes.

Things just kept getting better and better.

“Of course, just because the legends say that such creatures are associated with Virudhaka, it doesn’t mean they actually exist, or would necessarily be at a temple dedicated to that guardian.” She pursed her lips, taking note of Naruto’s sullen response. “Ah. Well, this a little comforting I guess.”

“What?” Naruto opened his eyes again, but closed them when he found his vision centered on the Hokage’s ample chest.

“Yakshas only eat the flesh of evildoers.” Tsunade answered, scowling when she noted Naruto’s behavior. If she ever met Tenko in person, the kitsune might lose its tails the hard way, plucked out one by one.

“Oh. I feel so much better now.” Naruto screwed up his face. “So, Old Lady, are you going to send me with Kuko?”

“No.” Tsunade answered.

Naruto smiled. That was good news, at least. Wasn’t it? They would find some way to deal with The Nine on their own, right? He stopped smiling, his sense of responsibility waking up again.

“I won’t assign this as a mission. It is up to you to decide. Although I am very worried about what might happen, I will give you permission to go if you so choose.” The Hokage’s eyes looked vulnerable.

There was no doubt that she carried about all of Konoha, not just a certain young troublemaker.

“Crap!” Naruto said. “That’s a dirty trick, leaving things up to me. And I know exactly what you are thinking, Granny Tsunade. Sometimes a ninja must give up his life for the good of the village.” He swallowed hard. “Except it wouldn’t be my life….”

Tsunade nodded. “I would wager that any number of your fellow ninjas would gladly accept your burden in this situation. But, I’m rather impressed to see you thinking with more than just your glands.” She blew dist off of her desk top. “If having…… relations…… with a beautiful woman was the worst that happens to you….”

Naruto rubbed at his nose. His twitched, Tsuande’s words striking some chord within him, reinforcing one of his own thoughts.

“It’s not just that I never….” Naruto swallowed hard. “And she really does look….” He grabbed the arms of his chair. “But I…… I keep having these images…. you know.”

“Hmmmm?” Tsunade could imagine what was bothering Naruto.

“She might have a woman’s body…… but I keep picturing…… uhhh…… you know…… doing it with a fox….” Naruto blushed.

The Hokage could have had fun there at Naruto’s expense. But, this was a serious issue. Life or death issues were sometimes easier to deal with than ethical ones. If she started asking people to compromise their morals, then just what would she be standing for?

How could the men and women of the Leaf trust her implicitly?

She also guessed correctly how Naruto felt about the seven kitsune and their attraction to Kyuubi. That would be bad enough. But, if word got around that he was sleeping with kitsune, not only would some villagers poke fun at him, many of the older generation might view that as a sign that he was untrustworthy, due to the presence of the fox demon within him.

“And….” Naruto scratched his head.

“Yes?” The Hokage asked, intrigued as always to see the way that Naruto thought and reacted to things.

Naruto told Tsunade about his dreams. He was particularly worried that Kuko…… or anyone she might be working for…… was interested in using Kyuubi. In that way, the kitsune might be just as big a threat as Akatsuki. Maybe even worse, since The Nine were at least human, and were not nearly as big of a mystery as fox women.

“That’s a good point,” Tsunade admitted. “But their whole approach seems more like they are being driven by their biological urges.” She shook her head, sighing. “But, that doesn’t mean that there couldn’t be more than one thing on their minds.” Leaning back in her chair, she closed her eyes and thought for a while.

Naruto stood up and began walking around the room. He was feeling very edgy again.

“Again, I guess you could ask Kuko to promise. Unless the legends about the kitsune are wrong…… or written by the kitsune themselves…… that might suffice. But, I don’t think that I will allow you to go off with her alone.” The Hokage nodded her head, a plan crystallizing.

“Huh? You mean you might send some of the guys with me? Maybe Kakashi?” Naruto held his breath.

“No. Kuko might be able to influence their reactions, even if she fails to control you.” Tsunade tapped her fingers together. “She would have fewer ways to influence women. And, if she resented their presence, it might throw her thoughts into some degree of turmoil.”

“Old Lady, are you saying that you want to send Kurenai, Anko, and the other girls with me?” Naruto set his jaw, talking between clenched teeth. “Some of them are a real pain in the ass. And if I have to…… you know…… I don’t want anyone watching.” He shivered for a few moments, wondering just what Anko might do. “I doubt that Kuko would accept that.”

“Well,” the Hokage said, smiling. “Only one way to see, right? If she’s desperate enough, she might cave in. It might be best to wait a night or two more before answering her. “

“Yeh!” Naruto said, his eyes narrowing. “And maybe I can work other angles too. I won’t give her what she wants if she takes me to the temple. There will have to be something that helps against Akatsuki!”

Tsunade smiled. Naruto was not thefinest by-the-book tactician by any means. But, he often came up with the best solutions.

“Very good. You spend some time today working your way through things like that. Also make sure you get her to promise not to reveal your secret to anyone who doesn’t know it. I will discuss things with the girls. I know that some of them still want to get back at the kitsune more than they already have. That might make them eager to help.” Tsunade sighed. “But, I will have to lay down the law for some of them, who might get a bit carried away.”

Tsunade rang a bell. She would need the duty roster.

“No one will get the best of Uzumaki Naruto,” the blonde haired shinobi said when he was dismissed.

“I hope so,” the Hokage whispered.
 


Fox Hunt
This fanfic is complete.
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com