Fox Hunt

By dave-d
 

Chapter 12



Summary: What is going on? Why do all the girls that Naruto knows want him to father their children? Answer: Kitsune.

 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)



Disclaimer: No own, no mula, no sue. 

The incense in the room was strong.

Smoke wafted up from carven gold and silver braziers, dancing in the light of the large oil lamps.

A group of Yaksha sat on large cushions arranged in a semicircle, at the center of which Naruto, Hinata, and Kuko stood, fidgeting.

“How long are we going to have to stand here?” Naruto said, standing on one foot, then another, clenching his jaws. “I still need to take a leak.” He looked over at a number of ornate vases that were spread around the domed octagonal chamber. “I guess those would do.” He pointed.

Kuko put her face in her hands. Hinata bit her lip. They were awaiting the Yaksha’s judgment.

It was not the best time for Naruto to be Naruto.

The cowled creatures began making an ominous noise, until the eldest raise his staff, and brought it down with a resounding ‘thwap!’

“Would you like another riddle?” The creature tapped the claws of one hand against the polished lapis lazuli floor.

“No,” Naruto said. Scowling, he went to sit in front of the Yaksha. “But, I have one for you!” Having seen the stature of the Fighters of Disharmony, Naruto had thought of a mythical creature he had read about in a book as a child.

The younger Yaksha got to their feet, sliding their taloned hands out of their huge drooping sleeves. They sat down when the staff’s impact echoed through the room again.

“Alright,” the Yaksha replied. “Proceed.”

“What has one voice, and is four-footed, two-footed and three-footed?"

The demigod nodded its head. It actually laughed before answering. “That is indeed a good riddle,” the creature said. “It surprises me that you know it.” Spreading its arms wide, it continued. “The answer is ‘man’.”

“Shit!” Naruto gave the Yaksha a thumbs up. “Didn’t think you guys would know about the Sphinx!”

The Yaksha chuckled. “That is a common misconception, child.” The choice of words had Naruto frowning. “Countries often borrow the legends of distant lands. In actuality, it was the Shabara that asked the riddle.”

“Huh?” Naruto said scratching his head.”

“Shambara?” Hinata asked, feeling somewhat less anxious, now that there was some kind of discourse going on.

“Yes, child. A creature with a woman’s head. Combining also the features of a lion, a ram, and a horse.” The Yaksha rubbed its belly, and then shocked everyone by yawning. “Though, I should mention that there was indeed a creature that was sent to Thebes to eat the children of that nation, as punishment for some national crime.” He looked at Naruto. “The Alopekos Teumesios. ”

Kuko sat up straighter. She had obviously heard tale of that monster.

The Yaksha put down his cowl. “It is a fine coincidence, that your words cause mention of that terrible beast, dead that it has been these many centuries.”

“Why?” Naruto folded his rams over his chest, a scowl on his face.

“It was the gigantic Teumesian Fox that was sent,” Kuko said.. “A hero named Amphitryon was given the impossible task of destroying the beast, a creature which had been destined never to be caught.”

Naruto swore, thinking about Kyuubi, a fox demon that no one would have expected to be caught.

“The hero discovered a perfect solution to the problem, by fetching the magical dog Lailaps which was destined to catch everything that it chased.” Kuko caused Naruto to jump when she ran a finger down the middle of his back. “The gods, faced with an innevitable contradiction in fate…… an uncatchable fox being pursued by an unavoidable dog…… turned the pair of beasts into stone.”

“I wish the Fourth had a dog,” Naruto said, a sour look on his face.

“In some tales,” the Yaksha said, nodding his head, “The Teumesian Fox was sent upon the city after a different hero had defeated a Sphinx that prowled its crossroads.” He chuckled again. “That same mythical Sphinx that is given credit for the Shabara’s riddle.”

“OK,” Naruto said, rubbing his chin. Then, his features brightened. “Ha! You already knew the answer, didn’t you!”

“Yes,” the Yaksha answered, initially perplexed. Then, its eyes narrowed. “You should simply be content that you were able to answer your second riddle.”

Naruto stood up and put his hands on his hip, ready to make some smart ass remark.

“I will give you two choices. You can ask another riddle, or stand silently. First, I will recite the tale of the ‘The Meritorious Frog,’ as I sense that you are somehow connected to such creatures’.” The demigod asked if Kuko or Hinata had heard that tale before. Neither had. “Good. Then this is an opportunity for learning and enlightenment.” He looked over at Naruto. “For some….”

Hinata giggled, then looked embarrassed to have done so. It earned her a nasty look from Naruto and a smile from Kuko.

The Yaksha began his tale:

“‘Kashyapa is considered the third in the series of earthly Buddhas, the one who appeared before Buddha Shakyamuni, the historical buddha.

“One day, during a public teaching, the mellifluous voice of this fully enlightened being rang out to the hills where a herder who was tending his flock happened to hear it. He could not catch every word but he was so taken by the sound, that he stopped where he was to listen. Resting his chin upon his hands that were planted palm down atop it, he fell under the spell of the sound of the Buddha's voice.

Now, deep in the ground just below where the staff was planted was a frog holed up for the cold weather. It was just his misfortune that the stockman's staff pierced his body as the vibrations of the Buddha's teaching resonated down the shaft of wood and reached him. But the little frog did not struggle, nor make any sound, for he was filled with joy at hearing the dharma and did not want to cause a disturbance.

When the teaching came to an end, the shepherd moved on with his flock and the frog quietly and serenely expired. Because of his virtuous decision not to interrupt the sounds of dharma, the frog was reborn in the Realm of the Gods. This little frog became chief among them, Lord Indra, himself.”

Naruto rubbed his neck. “Wonderful! Amazing. I feel smarter already.”

“The tale emphasizes how merit is gained even in dire circumstances, for the Dharma helps transform our attitude which influences our actions.” The Yaksha’s voice became very stern. “You are still in dire circumstances.”

“Yeh…… uhhh…… well…… you’re a pretty smart guy. We don’t need to do any more riddles.” Naruto swallowed hard. He truly was concerned. His behavior had been a means to cover up his fears.

“Good boy,” Kuko said. “Now, come stand next to Kuko.”

Naruto went to stand by Hinata instead. The Yaksha watched the look on each of their faces. He ran his sharp claws up and down his staff, pondering. His question caught the humans and kitsune by surprise.

“Fox woman…… what is it that you desire most?”

Kuko twitched. Her tailsnifested themselves for a moment, then disappeared.

“I…… I want prosperity for my family….” She answered. “That is for the good of all. For me….” She looked over at Naruto. “It has been long since I had my last child. I wish another. With a certain sire.”

The Yaksha nodded, and then turned to Hinata. That had the white-eyed girl clutching her hands to her chest. She would be embarrassed if he asked her the same question.

He did.

“Ummm…… I would want…... it would be nice if my father thought as well of me as he does my sister…” She swallowed hard. “That is for the good of my family.” She looked over at Naruto and rubbed her fingers together, stopping with a great act of will. “For me…… for me I…… I ….” She blushed. “I wish that Naruto would care about me.”

Naruto busied himself by counting the number of deities depicted on the wall murals. He kept looking back at Hinata, before resuming his numerical exploration.

“Why this one?” the Yaksha asked, perplexed, looking at Naruto. He then asked Naruto the same question he had asked the girls.

“Ha! I’m going to be Hokage. That’s’ what I want, and I will take care of my village!” His smile faded some. He looked over at Hinata, and then Kuko. “I…… I never really had much hope for…… you know….” He didn’t explain that remark, but his meaning was clear. “It may not matter, with those nine bastards after me” His thoughts went to Akatsuki. He had hoped to find some answer here.

Now, he might not have the chance.

“It is not my place to interfere with the dreams of the two females, one way or another.” The Yaksha said. “My fellows and I must decide whether or not we should deny the noisy one’s search for knowledge.” He looked at Naruto. “Silence will aid our meditation. Interruptions will prove unfortunate.

After that, the room was silent for the next hour. The Yaksha stood up, then walked together, to converse in low voices. They looked over a frantically waving Naruto, whose face was red while he squeezed his legs tightly together.

“You may each follow an attendant,” the eldest Yaksha said. “They will take you to a place suitable for bodily necessities. When you return, we shall have our answer.”

The Yakshapulled on a large rope. A few minutes later, a kumbhanda came and led Naruto and the girls away. It was just in time, as far as Naruto was concerned. When the three returned to the chamber, they were each asked to sit on a large decorative pillow.

“Cruelty by way of excessive or degrading punishment would, in the ultimate analysis, serve only to retard progress towards well-being whether conceived in physical, mental, moral or spiritual terms.” The elder Yaksha said. “Cruelty and inhuman treatment are no solutions to the misdeeds of human beings.”

“Punishment should be reformatory and not punitive. The mind is considered supreme; and cruel physical treatment, if meted out, registers its injurious effects in the mind of the receiver and the giver alike.” The next Yaksha in line had spoken up. “It is not possible for one administering injurious punishment to do so with equanimity or with compassion.

“Suitable punishment should enable the offender to examine himself or herself and come to terms with acceptable patterns of behavior.” A third Yaksha nodded to another of his brethren when he was done.

“While degrading forms of punishment would produce the opposite effect, punishment tempered with tolerance, loving kindness, and compassion is likely to produce a more desirable result.” The fourth cowled creature folded his hands together.

“Any punishment should be to the extent to which the offender needs to make amends, and then his or her rehabilitation is to be considered. Depending on the nature and gravity of the offence, acceptable punishment may range from a simple rebuke to banishing from the community or country.” A small Yaksha looked back at the eldest.

“In his great wisdom and benevolence, Lord Virudhaka decided that you should not be put to death for your transgressions.” The eldest shrugged, as if he were shocked by that fact.

“I still don’t see why we need to be punished at all. I mean, come on! None of us started the fight.”

“Your presence caused the kitsune to follow you here. Your choice not to embrace death…… and your subsequent creation of many copies of yourself……gave the mikkyo cause to do the damage they did. Your words to the Great Lord may have prolonged your lives, but they were unmannerly and ill-chosen. The events you indirectly gave birth to had a negative effect on the karma of many creatures, including those you stand before now.”

“It’s all a bunch of crap,” Naruto muttered under his breath. “They ought to punish Akatsuki, since their freaking existence caused me to come here.” He looked at Kuko. “That, and a crazed horny fox….”

“When you each made ready to enter the temple, you read of the Five Obstacles or Hindrances. I shall use the symbolism of numbers to determine your fates. As such, each of you will spend the next five days without the others, faced with your individual challenges.” The Yaksha tapped his staff against the ground.

“But…… five days…… my cycle will be done…” Kuko turned a pleading look on the demigod, to no avail.

“Attraction and desire are one of the Hindrances,” one of the younger Yaksha stated. “It was the hungers of the flesh that drove you. Thus, we will sentence you to five days without food. If you can resist that kind of hunger, you shall be released.”

“Yes,” another creature said. “There shall be fresh and tantalizing food brought into your room. That, as well as tempting drinks and water. The water you may have. If you take any of the other, you shall be held accountable to your previous promise, multiplied by five.”

Kuko hung her head. Five years away from the family would feel like an eternity, even to one of her lifespan.

“Good thing that wasn’t for me,” Naruto said. “If you put a bowl of Ramen in front of me, I would be in big trouble!”

“Arrogance is also one of the Hindarances,” the eldest Yaksi said, looking at Naruto. “You seem compelled to speak often, at times when a humble man would remain silent.”

“Indeed, we have seen much of that,” a different Yakshi said. “For five days, you may have all the food you want.”

“Yes!” Naruto rubbed his belly.

“But, you may well end up as food,” the Yaksha continued. “For five days, you must not speak. Should you do so…… even the smallest of utterances…… the chained and fasting preta and sinpo in your room shall be let free, permitted to feast upon your body.”

Naruto was suddenly mute.

“N-N-Naruto-kun….” Hinata looked stricken. She obviously did not think that her fellow shinobi was up to his task.

“Aversion and hatred are also Obstacles,” a Yaksha said to Hinata. “While you are kind of heart, and do not hate or dislike others, the same cannot be said for your feelings towards yourself. You lack the courage to truly know others, because you doubt everything about yourself.”

“As such,” the eldest Yaksha said, “You will be sent before a multitude of temple workers of all types, to tell them the complete story of your life, in all detail that you can recall.”

“For five days, you will talk. At the end, should you convince them that you have enough good qualities to deserve a place amongst men, you shall be set free. Though, if you utter scornful words regarding your self, or fail in your task, you shall remain at the temple for the rest of your days.” The sound of a smaller Yaksha’s voice struck like the gavel on a judge’s desk.

“If we succeed,” Naruto started, sounding uncharacteristically subdued. “If we pass our tests, will we then be asked to leave, or can we speak with the Oracle first?”

“That will be permitted, should all three of you meet your challenges,” the eldest Yaksha replied.

“Before we enter our places of confinement, could we be granted a single boon?” Kuko asked, speaking in very solemn fashion.”

“And what would you ask for?” The eldest Yaksha asked.

“A quickie….” The kitsune said, licking her lips and grabbing hold of Naruto’s arm.

“Kuko!” Naruto pulled free. “You really should learn when to keep quiet!”

The Yaksha all hung their heads. “Take them away….” The eldest said.


Water is generally thought of as pure by its very nature, the essence of life and more precious than any other substance.

Good water is traditionally considered to have eight fine qualities. It is delicious, cool, smooth, light, clear, pure, and harmful neither to throat nor stomach.

Visitors to the temple universally praised the water of the land, saying that in simply appreciating its excellent qualities, it could be mentally offered joyfully to the Buddhas.

Neither Hinata nor Kuko paid much attention to the large crystal pitcher of water sitting before then on an carven and polished ebony table. Their reflections in the table top looked worried, since they themselves were very concerned.

Their tests had started at the same time. As such, each of their punishments should have ended at the same time. The fact that the two of them had been sitting there for close to thirty minutes made every minute of Naruto’s absence more and more excruciating.

“Water has many qualities making it appear animated. On this basis it is understandable that water might become a natural phenomenon worthy of worship. Water is usually in motion; it brings new life to the dead vegetation and dried land; it refreshes men and animals, the tired and the ill, and it heals. It also has a cleansing quality as it washes dirt, dissolves dust, making it most suitable for purifying the soul.” The eldest Yaksha droned on about the nature of water, as he walked around a flame at the center of the room..

Kuko watched the demigod, knowing that he was tending his personal dhuni or sacred fire. As a creature of nature, she appreciated the coincidence, the fact that he was tending a fire while speaking about water. Both forces are often seen as purifying as well as protective.

The fire pit was round, and faced with a fresh layer of cow-dung which, being one of the five sacred products of the cow, is considered a purifying substance itself. The pit was adorned with fresh flowers, golden marigolds with the noble colou of kings.

The Yaksha sprinkled the area surrounding the pit with water, careful not to get any on the practitioner's ritual utensils arranged near it. Those included a trident, a short staff, and a damaru drum used to provide the rhythm for Shiva's dance at ceremony time.

“In the sacred scriptures the origin of people is frequently connected with life-giving rivers, which spout from the home of the gods where the great snows fall from the sky. From a valley of water, the heavenly body of Adi Buddha appeared from the depths of water, in the form of flame on a lotus flower. So when that god appeared in the void and watery chaos, his mortal servants drained the lake of water, creating what we call heaven and earth.

“Thus, order was created out of the chaos, which had been a fathomless lake inhabited by Nagas and other serpents. Naturally then, water is viewed as the foundation of all lives.” The cowled demigod looked over at Hinata with a curious eye.

The white-eyed girl kept looking towards the door. Her test had proven very difficult for her, but she managed to succeed. It had taken great force of will to talk to a restless audience of Yaksha, Naga, ging, maras, tsen, gandharvas and kumbhandas about any subject, much less herself.

Smiling, she realized that the experience had taught her things about herself.

“From early days, water has been regarded as a tangible manifestation of the divine essence. In the beginning, everything was like a sea without a light. To this day, one of the most common and simple objects of worship in the daily ritual is a jar or pitcher filled with water, representing the presence of the divinity and serving in the place of a sacred image. Boundless and imperishable, the cosmic water is at once the immaculate source of all things and the dreadful grave.” The Yaksha peered over at the kitsune, who looked very downcast.

Kuko sighed, knowing that her estrous period had ended. It had been enjoyable, sharing intimacy with Naruto in their lust-charged state. But, when all was said and done, it was another child that she had wanted.

Her sadness had actually aided her in her task. While she had maintained a healthy thirst for water, she had not felt the stirrings of hunger.

But, it was more than that. During their travels, she had begun to feel fondness for the boy, and for Hinata as well. She had started off calling the girl ‘little sister’ as an innocent means of mockery, but now found herself thinking more kindly of her.

It’s amazing what shared dangers can bring about.

The two girls looked up. There was a loud voice down the corridor, approaching. Soon enough they stood up, recognizing that voice.

“And I tell you, if scared the shit out of me! Can you imagine, he was supposed to be looking out for me, but he tossed me down a damn bottomless ravine so I could discover how to use Nine Tail’s chakra?” It was Naruto. Marching along, ands waving his arms in animated fashion, he was regaling a rapt troop of ogres and kumbhandas with his past experiences.

“And when I did finally summon a frog, man was he a whopper!” He stopped, looked in the room, and called out “Hey, has that windbag been boring you with lectures or something?”

The Yaksha grasped his staff tightly.

Kuko and Hinata both ran to his side. Looking down at the white-eyed girl, the kitsune pushed her gently forward. Hinata surprised everyone by giving Naruto a quick hug before blushing and stepping back.

The fox woman started off doing the same, but then winked to Hinata and knocked Naruto to the floor, covering him with kisses.

“Hey!” Naruto said, frowning when he saw the ogres snickering.

“Sorry,” Kuko said. “I was just getting it out of my system.”

“I believe the women were worried about you,” the Yaksha said with understated sarcasm. “I had expected to hear word of your demise, giving the tardiness of your arrival. Did the attendant I sent arrive late?”

“No,” Naruto said. “He…… and my pals here…… came when they should have. I just wasn’t ready to leave yet.”

“Oh?” The Yaksha asked. “You found the company of pretas and sinpo that pleasant? Perhaps there is a greater streak of tolerance in you than I first surmised.”

“Nope.” Naruto smiled. “Those bloodthirsty assholes kept moaning and blabbering the whole time, louder and louder. When I tossed them food to shut them up, they threw it back at me. I didn’t care much for being the ‘special of the day,’ I can tell you that.”

“Let me guess,” Kuko said, smirking. “You took some time to say your goodbyes?”

“Right!” Naruto gave the kitsune a thumb up. “I felt a need for some exercise, so I did Kage Bunshin. The guys and I kicked the crap out of those bastards.” Naruto folded his arms over his chest.

Hinata actually smiled, hearing that.

The Yaksha just shook his head and sighed. “I am at too big of a loss for words to give you the riddle you deserve. I feel a need for prolonged meditation. The tsen and kumbhandas will escort you to the Oracle’s chamber.” Before walking out of the room, he bowed. “If I am fortunate, we won’t meet again.”

“He didn’t seem in such a great mood. What did you guys do to him?” Naruto looked over at Hinata.


The chamber of the Oracle was huge.

Massive columns of marble took on the shape of fabulous beasts, both real and imaginary.

A vast painted ceiling took on the appearance of a starry night, with nebulous painted faces of demigods and deities looking down from vague dark clouds. Lengthy chains of silver hung down, holding lamps shaped as spheres and six-pointed stars.

Located at the center of the room, a relatively small flame was kept lit eternally, sending a small trail of smoke upwards. The enormous walls were decorated by murals, tapestries, and bas reliefs.

There were no creatures present. Naruto, Hinata, and Kuko sat on one of the massive stone benches, all of which were arranged in concentric circles of decreasing size. Silk cushions decorated the benches, while long embroidered pillows served as footrests.

“So, who is this Oracle guy?” Naruto asked the kitsune. “Where is he?”

“The room itself is the Oracle,” Kuko answered. “It will fill with the spirit of one celestial spirit or another, then reverberate with its voice. If you’re fortunate, a charitable god will play that roll. That way, all things happening on our world might be known to it.”

“When will the spirit arrive?” Hinata asked. “Will we wait long? Is there something we need to do to call the being? A ceremony? Ritual offerings?”

“I can’t say for sure,” the fox woman replied. “We have never had an Oracle at the Temple of Inari.” She ran her hand through her hair, then stood up. “I might be the very reason that nothing is happening. The Yaksha did say that the Oracle would appear before us to answer the question of importance to Konoha.” She shrugged. “I’m not of that village.”

Kuko began walking from the amphitheatre.

“I’ll see if I can find someone who knows what is going on. You two behave while I’m gone.” The kitsune shook her finger. “The effects of the gem have worn off. Keep your clothes on!”

Naruto screwed up his face. Hinata blushed.

The minutes stretched on and on. Finally, Naruto spotted something. A strange mist began filling the floor of the great room. It moved this way and that, as if it were alive. The sound of faint drum beats could be heard, and a fresh scent was on the air,

A voice rang out, filling the room.

“WHO IS IT, THAT HAS COME BEFORE ME SEEKING WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE?”

“Uhhh…” Naruto cleared his throat. “Uzumaki Naruto, shinobi of the Leaf, citizen of the village of Kohoha on….” He had no idea how any spirit might refer to his world or plane of existence. “On my world.” That would have to do.

“Ummm…… Hyuuga Hinata…… ninja of the Hidden Leaf Village….” Hinata watched as the mist grew and grew, taking on the shape of a humanoid figure, almost as tall as the ceiling.

“AND WHAT IS THE QUESTION THAT YOU HAVE BROUGHT INTO MY PRESENCE?”

“There is an organization of nine great criminals, calling itself Akatsuki, looking to capture me and obtain the power of the demon fox Kyuubi.” Naruto patted his belly. “We have no idea what they may be after, or who their members may be.”

“We come seeking answers, wanting to know how to stop them.” Hinata swallowed hard, when it looked as if the great shape was turned towards her.

“IF I LOOK DEEP INTO YOUR HEARTS, WILL I SEE THAT YOUR WORDS ARE TRUE, AND THAT YOUR PURPOSE IS INDEED NOBLE?”

“Yes!” Naruto said, striking a nice guy pose. “That’s my Ninja Way!”

“It is my way too,” Hinata added.

The smoke became nebulous, then quickly moved to envelope them.

“FINALLY, AFTER TRAVELLING FAR AND STRIVING AGHAINST OBSTACLES, ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE FOR YOUR ANSWER?”

“Certainly! Wait….” Naruto pursed his lips. He had no idea what the unknown spirit might require from them. “We need to know more.”

“What is the cost?” Hinata asked.

“I SEE THE IMAGE OF A FROG. LIKE THE BUTTERFLY, THE FROG IS A SYMBOL OF REINCARNATION. ALSO IS IT ASSOCIATED WITH AUSPICIOUSNESS AND PROSPERITY. FINALLY, IT IS CONNECTED TO FERTILITY, WHICH CAN BE CONSIDERED AN ASPECT OF PROSPERITY.”

“Huh?” Naruto scratched his head. “That doesn’t make any sense.” He knew that he had a contract with frogs. But, how could that matter to an oracular spirit?

“Could you please explain your words?” Hinata asked.

The mist took on the form of a frog, then changed again. It ended with the figure of a fox.

“I SEE ALSO THE IMAGE OF A FOX. THE FOX IS A SYMBOL OF DECISIVENESS AND CUNNING. IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH CONFIDENCE, CUNNING, AND THE DILIGENT PURSUIT OF AN EVER MORE ADVANCED STATE. IT IS ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH EROTICISM, WHICH CAN BE CONSIDERED A COMPANION TO FERTILITY.”

“What? I still don’t understand what you are trying to tell me.” Naruto clenched his fists. Did the mention of a fox somehow imply Kyuubi? He swallowed hard. Or might it relate to a kitsune?

“Is there more that you intend to say?” Hinata queried.

“THE PRINCIPAL FORCES ARE CREATION, PROVIDENCE, AND DISSOLUTION. THE THREE MOVE THE WORLD THROUGH AN UNENDING PROCESS OF BIRTH, BALANCE, AND DESTRUCTION. MAN MUST RENDEAVOR TO MAINTAIN THE HARMONY OF THE WHOLE SYSTEM. IN DOING SO, PROPER BALANCE WILL BE KEPT BETWEEN GODLY AND DEMONIC FORCES. YOU HAVE THROWN OFF THAT BALANCE.”

Naruto began to squirm some. He did not get the point the Oracle was trying to make about him. How had he thrown of the balance of the system?

“How have I caused imbalance?” He asked. “What should I do to restore balance?”

“THERE IS A DEMON FOX WITHIN YOU. THAT NEEDS TO BE BALANCED BY A GOOD FOX INSIDE ANOTHER. OTHERWISE, THE INEQUITY WILL LEAD TO A WORSENING STATE OF HARMONY FOR ALL IN YOUR LIFE.”

“So, in payment, I have to put a good fox somewhere? I don’t have that power. The great youma was placed in me by one far more powerful than I am.” Naruto was beginning to get frustrated. He did not want to be given a task he couldn’t possibly complete.

Hinata began twisting her hair between her fingers. She had a rather contemplative look on her face.

“YOU MUST FIND A SOLUTION. ALL DEPENDS ON YOU. THE ONE SITTING NEAR YOU CANNOT BEAR A FOX. BUT, I SENSE THAT THERE IS ONE WHO CAN CARRY SUCH A CHILD.”

Naruto froze. A fox child. He had no doubt what the oracular spirit was referring to.

“But…… but the one you speak of…… that one is now incapable of getting knocked up.” He swallowed hard, glad that Kuko wasn’t still with them.

Hinata brushed her hands together. She looked over at Naruto.

“This is very personal talk, Naruto-kun. I am going to see if I can find Kuko.” With that, she left the amphitheatre.

“IF IT CANNOT BE DONE NOW, THAT IS A PROBLEM. HOWEVER, YOU CAN SWEAR ON YOUR HONOR AND LIFE THAT YOU WILL PERFORM THE BALANCING PROCESS, WHEN THE ONE IS READY FOR YOU. GIVE THAT PLEDGE, AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE THE ANSWER YOU SEEK.”

“Shit!” Talk about difficult bargains. By all accounts, it sounded like he had to promise to get Kuko pregnant in order to get the answer that he and the village needed. Damn! If not Kuko specifically, then one of the family.

He could chose one of the others…… each one was unbelievably cute….

Geez! What was he thinking? It looked like he was right back where he had started.

“SO, IN ADHERING TO THE PRECEPT OF NOT LYING, DO YOU SWEAR TO PERFORM THE NECESSARY ACT OF CREATION, SO THAT BALANCE CAN RETURN? WILL YOU…… OH, HI HINATA…… WHAT? SHIT!”

“Huh?” Naruto tensed up. Hinata? Why would the Oracle be addressing Hinata if she wasn’t there with him? Kuko! Damn her tricks!

The images. The voice. Everything. It had been illusion, created by the kitsune.

Kuko had been close to getting him to promise to….

“Damn her!” Naruto hated to be played for a fool. He had bought into that illusion completely. Still, he couldn’t help but smile. He could appreciate a good idea.

Kuko and Hinata eventually made there way back into the room. Kuko simply shrugged and winked when she walked by.

“Thanks, Hinata! I owe you one.” Naruto saluted his fellow ninja.

“Want to know what you should ask for?” The kitsune asked Hinata. She chuckled, seeing the look on Naruto’s face.

At that time, any further conversation was put on hold. A group of temple personnel in remarkably colorful ethnic garb were filing into the room, making two rows. In between them, two large ogres walked in, one carrying a huge ornate helmet and the other a large weighty series of robes. Following behind them was a slender bald-headed man of indeterminate age.

Seeing the three supplicants, the man walked over to meet with them. As he came close enough for Naruto and the others to examine more closely, they realized that he was not actually human. His eyes were larger than they expected, and his ears were slightly tufted.

“Though you might be surprised to look at me, I am the temple Oracle,” the man-like creature said pleasantly. “ I have spent my time in meditation, to prepare for the trance I will enter. I have purified my mind and body, so will be fit to be a vessel for the beings I will contact.” He spent a few moments explaining what would take place, and how they would know when he had been entered by some transcendental spirit.

“How will I know when to ask my questions?” Naruto asked. “And how will I know if the answers are true?”

“Ah! I will address the last part first. My answer will not be vague, like those given by most Mediums. It will be highly specific. Likewise, it will not merely be a series of possibilities. It will be entirely true.” The Oracle smiled, showing more teeth than a man would have. “But, there can be only one question. Limiting, perhaps; but, except in the rarest of cases, an answer should be forthcoming.”

“D-D-Do we each get a question?” Hinata squared her shoulders, remembering her recent test. “Or, will the three of us be limited to a single inquiry?”

“I’d like to know how to get ninja boy here to round me up like a melon!” Kuko said with an irreverent smirk. “That’s the only question that really means anything.” She smiled at the Oracle. “I need to be ready for next year.”

“I’m tempted to ask how to get her to go away,” Naruto said. “But, she’d probably just find some way to come back!” He jumped when Kuko goosed him. “Hey! Aren’t you out of heat yet?”

“Yes,” Kuko said. “I’m just doing this for fun. Besides, while you can’t get me with pups right now, you can still show me a good time.”

The Oracle looked at Hinata. The girl just shrugged.

Naruto went on to describe the situation with Akatsuki, telling the Oracle everything he knew about the organization, which wasn’t much. He then went on to provide background information on himself, the Fourth Hokage, and Nine Tails.

“Residing in this temple, one hears many miraculous tales.” The Oracle smiled. “Yours is worthy of standing amongst them. Or, it may be worthy some day.” He raised one arm, which had his attendants arranging his items and ushering in a group of musicians. “From what you have told me, I can suggest four possible questions, loosely corresponding to the four enlightened activities.

“What?” Naruto asked. He was beginning to get tired of numbers and symbolism.

“Don’t worry about it,” the Oracle said smiling. “You need not be a believer. For magnetizing, I see the question ’Who exactly are the individuals making up the Nine’. For increasing, I see the question ’What are the powers that they each possess’. For pacifying, I see the question ‘What precisely are their plans for the demon fox’. And, finally, for destroying, I see the question ‘What specific thing can be done, that will foil their overall plan’.”

Naruto looked over at Hinata.

“It is your decision, Naruto-kun.” She said.

“Well,” Naruto said, scratching his cheek. “It would be nice to know what those jerks want to do with me…… but, the most important thing would be to find out how we can screw up their plan for Kohoha and the other villages.” Hinata nodded, approving of his line of reasoning.

“That shall be the question I ask, then.” The Oracle headed back to prepare for the rite. “Pay attention,” he said. “The answer will only come once, and I won’t remember it when I return to consciousness.”

“You got it!” Naruto said, giving the Oracle a big smile. “And thanks!”

As the Oracle descended to the floor of the magnificent room, groups of temple monks began chanting prayers. Invocations were worked as musicians began playing horns, cymbals, and drums.

Standing at the center of the room, surrounded by his various attendants, the tall creature entered the first of his trance states. The chanted prayers became more and more energetic, leaving Naruto, Hinata, and Kuko feeling slightly on edge, as they anticipated the occurrence of some spectacular event.

Large muscled men carried ornate robes of gold-colored silk to the Oracle, helping him dress in the weighty garments, all of which were covered with ancient designs or red, blue, green, and yellow.

He did not seem to notice the great burden placed on his body.

“If someone made me dress like that, I’d kick their ass.” Naruto looked on in rapt attention. If things went well, he would have the answer he needed, and he and Hinata could leave this crazy place and go home.

“Shhhhhhh.” Kuko said. “This is a once in a lifetime experience.”

Hinata remained silent, taking in every detail.

After a group of elegantly dressed women made an appearance, clad in beautifully woven vests and skirts made from colored strips of leather, they approached the Oracle and hung a large circular mirror on his chest. The polished steel was rimmed by amethyst and turquoise.

The tall being entered a deeper stage of trance.

A heavy helmet crested with peacock, vulture, and cock feathers was placed on his head. In his normal state, the weight would have been enough to break his neck. The helmet was covered in gold and precious stones, with a large piece of red glass sitting at the very top. Leather cords wrapped in silk secured the massive item to his head.

The chanting grew louder. The music grew more spirited. When the red glass on the Oracle’s helmet glowed red, and silent bells attached to is robes began to ring, the mirror on his chest began bouncing faster and faster, showing how strong and rapid his heartbeat had become.

Possessed by a spirit that entered him, the creature took a sword that was handed him, and then began swinging it about in dramatic fashion, beginning his cham ritual dance. The movements were martial and wrathful, but dignified as well.

“I think the guy needs less sugar in his diet,” Naruto said, transfixed.

“Naruto-kun, shhhhhhh.” Hinata found that her own heart was beating faster.

Kuko held her hands to her chest, her breathing growing more and more rapid.

Time and time again, the Oracle bowed low, arms crossed over his chest. Then, abruptly, he began spinning from side to side, until he came to a stop. When his mouth opened, he spoke in a voice that was not his own.

Naruto memorized what he heard, word for word. Out of context, the answer meant nothing to him, but he hoped that it would be of crucial importance later on.

Attendants rushed immediately to remove the helmet and robes before the Oracle returned to his normal state. The exhausted creature was led away, needing to sleep for the next few days.

As the three visitors to the temple stood, their task complete, a Yaksha appeared in the nearest doorway, motioning them to follow.

It was time for them to leave the temple.


Fox Hunt
This fanfic is complete.
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com