Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 9: Re-training



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Author's Notes: Alas, the first round of the tournament is the NEXT chapter, not this one. It's just that I wrote the fight scene first because I was excited to do it, and then discovered that I needed to explain Sakura's preparation for it. In addition, it's not been very clear so far about what potential, and obstacles, Sakura has in this new dimension.


"What?!" Sakura asked Yuri. 'This really sucks! SHANNAROOOO!' Inner Sakura yelled.

"Sorry, Sakura, but your genetics are one-of-a-kind," Yuri replied. Sakura had confronted Yuri, since Angel Lily was the most knowledgeable in the science of spiritual energy. "Although your mother and father received their powers at the ages of twelve and thirteen, they only received them under extraordinary circumstances: mainly, they were both humans living in the human realm, and were caught in the cross-fire during the Great War." Yuri sighed, and continued. "The other halves of their blood awakened when angels and demons appeared in the human realm. It was only sheer coincidence that their powers acted up at all."

"You, Sakura, have a fourth each of angel and demon blood. Under normal circumstances, they would act against each other, which was why you were unusually weak as a baby. Then as you grew up in the Shinobi world, your mixed blood settled down — now the angel and demon blood cancel each other out, instead of killing you. Your angel and demon blood are unusable. They are also undetectable because the 50 percent of human blood cover up the other two."

Sakura caught on. "You mean, like a genotype such as colorblindness... They don't show up if there's a more dominant gene next to it."

"Sort of. There is a tiny, tiny possibility that you have potential of using divine or demonic forces. But right now, you are a normal human, and can only develop your human ki and martial skills."

Sakura was frustrated, to say the least. Was there no value of being one-fourth angel and one-fourth demon at the same time? Her genome sequence, as it turned out, was a weakness rather than a strength. After all that chaos of coming into a new dimension and learning of her blood ancestry, she still was a human. And a weak human at that.

"Thank you, Yuri-san. I'll excuse myself now." Sakura got up from her chair, and walked off.

"Where are you going, Sakura?"

"Outside. To climb trees."


Sakura slumped to the ground. She was exhausted. There were no blasted-out footprints on the tree trunk like what Sasuke made during the tree-climbing exercise.

But her progress did not go any higher than six feet. Sakura's human chakra — the chakra she was so used to in the Shinobi world — was severely weakened in this realm.

The kunoichi panted. 'This complicats things a bit.' She ran up the tree again.

A net of pain embraced her skull on the forth step, and she fell. She twisted her body in the air and landed on her feet.

'At least I still can control the chakra I have,' she thought.

Sakura worked at the dojo during the morning and read books about chakra at night. There were accounts of humans developing their human chakra until they could make ki blasts, nearly matching the fighting abilities of a celestial being. Like in the Shinobi World, even humans in this dimension could do something with aura — but such a feat took months, even years, of training, and Sakura had only two weeks until the junior tournament. At least she was trained to use chakra long before she came here.

"God damn it," she muttered as she glared at the trunk. She shook her head, eliminating her frustration. Concentration was key in this endeavor.

By that evening, her kunai scratched the trunk at eight feet.


Minoru walked by the Fuuma residence and peered through its gates. He had not seen Sakura for four days — not since that night's attack. The elf wondered whether she was intentionally avoiding him.

'She probably thinks that I'm some sort of dangerous fugitive,' he thought to himself. 'Or she's mad at me for tricking her into thinking I was a woman.'

He glanced through the bars, and saw to his amazement that Sakura was climbing trees — without her arms. She was running toward a large tree and literally sprinting upwards.

"Argh!" the kunoichi yelled out. She slashed the bark with her kunai, marking nine feet. Her face looked like she was in pain, even though she only had a few scratches here and there on her body. She landed gracefully on the ground like a cat.

The elf stared, dumbfounded with his hands glued to the bars. Sakura panted, clutching her head. He then saw her collapse.

"Sakura-san!" he yelled. He pulled open the gates and ran across the lawn. Who cares if he wasn't invited on this property — it was their fault for having the bell on the front door instead of at their front gate.

Sakura was lying in a jumbled mess on the lawn. Minoru knelled down to her. He first thought that she was unconscious, but then he looked closely at her hands. Her fists were shaking, tightly holding some grass. Her fingernails were stained green with chlorophyll.

Minoru put his hand on her back.

"Sakura-san, are you trying to kill yourself?"

"I'm training," a muffled voice answered him.

Minoru coughed uncomfortably. "Um, Sakura-san... about that night..."

A soft, watery sniff came from her.

"I never intended to deceive you... I mean, I do sort of cross-dress... Um, well..." He became increasingly nervous. 'I am so terrible at this!'

"No, it's not that." Sakura got up and rubbed her eyes. "I'm just a little frustrated with the tournament coming up, that's all."

"Oh." Pause. "You know, that's the first time I've seen a human use ki for a purpose other than spells, and blasting out spheres of energy."

(( Naruto and Sasuke charged at each other, each with pure hatred in their eyes. The former had a spinning blue Rasengan, and the latter held an bright Chidori.

"STOP!!!" Sakura screamed as she ran between them. ))

Sakura banished the memory away. "I don't have enough chakra to do THAT."

She stood up and turned back to the tree, correcting her posture. Her eyes closed. Her hands folded into the sign of the Tiger. She felt a tiny stream of chakra flowing through her feet.

Minoru observed the serenity in her face. She looked like a priestess.

The kunoichi opened her eyes, and the elf was startled at the quick change: they held a brightness and fierce determination which he had never seen before in a human girl her age. Sakura ran up the tree, reaching ten feet before she slashed the trunk. She tucked, curled, and rolled in the air, then landed next to Minoru.

"Ow. I go up a meter, though!" She grinned.

'She'll be okay,' he thought to himself.

Two weeks later, she reached thirty feet — half of what she could do in the Shinobi world.


It was the night before the tournament. The children, Mrs. Suzuki the cook, and Sakura were already in bed.

Yousuke frowned as he read the line-up sheet. "Sakura's in for the first match?" he asked.

"Yes. The letter came this morning," Momoko said. The pink-haired woman sat at the kitchen table and sipped some herbal tea.

Yousuke fumed. "And her first match is with none other than Cardella, heir to the vampires. I'd say this match was personally fixed by some bureaucratic piece of ass!" There was a visible crease forming where Yousuke's hands held the paper.

"Probably. It does tip the scales a bit. If Sakura loses in the first round..."

"This isn't fair; we should file a complaint!"

"No, Yousuke. It's too late now. And even if we do, the people will easily counter-argue that we're practicing favoritism."

"Damn the people!" he exclaimed. Momoko shushed him, pointing upwards. There where were sleeping children on the second floor. He angrily (yet quietly) muttered: "I'd say that the committee is taking the other extreme of making something impossible."

"Yousuke." Momoko remained firm. "Sakura is not entering the tournament just for the committee. She wants to prove to everybody that she is no weakling, and is worthy of respect. In fact, putting up the standards will be helpful to Sakura. If she can win this match, then the reasons for deporting her will become null. Even if she loses the rounds that come afterwards, simply defeating Cardella with only human powers would be an astounding achievement."

"What if Cardella is too strong, though?" Yousuke asked.

"...Then we will have no choice but to move to the human realm for the time being."

Yousuke thought about it for a while.

"Should we tell Sakura about this?" Momoko asked.

Yousuke smiled. "...There's no need. She'll win the first round." But Momoko saw the tiny hint of worry in his eyes.


Sakura had trouble falling asleep that night, so she decided to read a very boring book in bed. She conked out immediately, but her well-intended efforts seemed to go to pieces when she woke up naturally at four a.m.

"No, I don't want an early wake-up today," she moaned to herself. It was usually delicious for her, to wake up early and simply lie in bed until the sun rose. But with the tournament fresh in her mind, she attempted and miserably failed to fall back into the desired slumber.

'I don't even have all my chakra back. At least I can use a little, but I would have to be damn efficient with it if I used any at all. Oh, this stupid, stupid dimension! Calm down, calm down, you're overreacting you're overreacting you're overreacting... Just stay in bed and rest if you can't fall asleep.'

The dreaded six o'clock came up. Time for breakfast. She had to be at the arena by seven sharp. 'I probably look like a mess right now...'

Sakura forced herself to eat a bowl of oatmeal. She knew that it was just the nervousness which was decreasing her appetite. She cringed, thinking of her early days of vanity and dieting. 'I was a NINJA, for crying out loud! Of course I was so friggin' slow in missions, I had no energy! I needed FOOD!' But the days of being a genin taught her a lot about how health and beauty tied to each other: eat enough and well, and use less make-up. Now, Sakura simply watched what she ate, and used chapstick and healing creme as her cosmetics.

As she grudgingly chewed her breakfast, Umi, the water sprite of the family, bounced up to Sakura. She was up unusually early for a Saturday.

Little Umi became attached to the pink-haired genin, for Sakura was the only person outside of Momoko and Yousuke to acknowledge her. Umi reminded Sakura of her younger days when she was a crybaby and was teased a lot, and so Sakura became a protective older sister of sorts.

"Sakura-oneechan! Look, look!" The sprite with the light blue hair held out her hands. A finely shaped ice sculpture rested on the palms — it was a little rough, but it resembled like a tree of winter, weighed down by icicles and glistening in the light.

"Wow, Umi-chan, did you make that yourself?" Sakura was not in the mood to talk with children now, but she knew that this was a big event for Umi. The water-sprite was starting to develop her water powers.

"Yeah! I don't know how, but I was washing this morning and I could freeze the water. Not very much...just a few drops here and there... but I made a tree out of it! You like it?"

The branches of the ice tree began to melt and drip.

"Oh, no!" Umi wailed.

"It's okay, Umi-chan," Sakura said as she patted the sprite's head. "It was enough for me to see it. It means that you're growing. Now go back to bed."

"Can you read me something?"

"No, not this morning, kidlet. The tournament's today." Saying that last sentence restarted the butterflies in her stomach.

"Okay." Umi shuffled off, dragging her nightgown. She turned around. "Um, Sakura-oneechan...you'll kick butt!" She clamped a hand over her mouth, surprised at her own boldness. Umi ran off, and then tripped on her nightgown. "Kya!"

"Umi-chan, are you okay?" Sakura asked in concern.

Umi got up, brushed herself off, and grinned at Sakura. She was personally relieved that she didn't get a scolding, like her teachers at school gave to other students. "I'm okay. When I grow up, I'm gonna be strong and pretty as Sakura-oneechan!" She walked carefully this time, and went back to bed.

Sakura felt grateful for Umi's compliment. But it sure as hell didn't help that jolt in her stomach. 'Kidlet, you haven't even seen me fight before...'


Sakura was shivering for a long time in her seat. She first thought that she was cold and put on her overcoat. When that didn't help, she realized just how nervous she was. It was the first round for the junior tournament. She was up for the first fight. Against someone named 'Cardella'. That name sounded powerful, like 'Orochimaru'.

A tremor went down her spine. 'No, don't think about him! I can be like Tsunade-sama: strong, and with a calm mind.' She did some breathing exercises. Suddenly the noise of chatting people in the stands died down, at least in her own mind. She still was nervous, but this was her fight.

'My fight. No matter what happens, I will remain cool, calm, and collected... Naruto was also the first to fight in the final tournament of the Chuunin exams. Naruto, give me your strength. Sasuke-kun, give me your focus.' Sakura breathed. 'Lee-san, I'll do my best!'


Yousuke, Momoko, Scarlett, Hinagiku, and Yuri were sitting together in the front row stands. There was an empty seat on each side of Yuri.

A man walked down the stairs. He had long, straight blond hair and had the face of a compassionate and honorable knight. He was dressed in lavender angel robes and wore a blue turtleneck underneath.

"Viento, Wedding Peach, I salute you," he said respectfully. "Angel Salvia, Angel Daisy, likewise." He walked to Yuri, and sat down next to her. He lifted Yuri's hand up to his lips, whispering, "And you, Angel Lily, my wife."

Yuri smiled. "Limone-sama. Your kendo and fencing classes are off this morning?"

"Do they have to be that mushy in public?" Yousuke loudly whispered to Momoko.

"I heard that, FUUMA," Limone said to his former soccer goalie, and turned back to his wife. "All classes were cancelled this morning because of this tournament. It didn't make much sense, since the better students are entered in, of course, and the others wanted to witness the event. Apparently, there is quite a variety of fighters this year."

"And Sakura is in, of course," Scarlett said in her Angel Salvia uniform. Angel Salvia was the best warrior on Momoko's love-angel team, and she was eager to see what Momoko's daughter could do.

Ten minutes later, a raven-haired man in a plaid shirt and smart khaki pants clanged down the stairs, and stumbled into the seat next to Hinagiku.

"Sorry I'm late, everyone!" Takurou adjusted his glasses. "Sorry, Hinako-chan," he said as he pecked her on the cheek. He often called her pet names like 'Hina-chan' or 'Hinako', even though her real name was Hinagiku. Probably because he loved and feared her at the same time.

"Lots of people were glaring at us for having an empty seat," Hinagiku huffed. "You'll have to do something for me later." Takurou sighed in defeat. She then whispered in his ear, which gave his face a slow burn.

"Hinako!" Takurou squeaked. She grinned.


"Umi" - means 'sea' or 'ocean'.

"Onee-chan" - means 'older sister' in an endearing form. "Nee" is the base for 'older sister'. But the prefix 'o-' is an endearment form, as well as the suffix '-chan'.

"Limone" - in Japan, this drink is actually a soda tasting similar to Sprite. Really. Limone in the Wedding Peach series is a bishounen — even though his arch-enemy, the demon Pluie, is even hotter...

"Scarlett" - Scarlett's full human name is Scarlett O'Hara. Of course, this is a reference to Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com